Top critical review
154 people found this helpful
Decent sound, significant design problems
on April 13, 2013
Starting with the audio: it's ok. Nothing more or less than expected for this price. Sound is a bit hollow, over-heavy in the midrange, with an awful soundstage. No equalizer at all, but setting the the sound mode to "music" definitely gives the cleanest, most neutral output. The subwoofer is the better component, with nice range and reproduction though little to no definition. It's all certainly better than what you get out of your TV, but it leaves a lot to be desired over standard bookshelf speakers of the same price.
Now, the design problems:
* The illuminated digital read-out on the center of the unit *never turns off*. Why?! It just says "D. In" 99% of the time. Very annoying and distracting. And even if you set it to dim, it will automatically go back to full brightness (which is very bright) next time it's turned on
* Awful rear design. I'm surprised I didn't kill my optical cable when trying to squeeze it into that tiny enclosure. It forces a harsh right angle right at insertion point that is absolutely absurd.
* Simply walking nearby the unit can often cause a temporary loss of signal between the master and the sub (since they are connected wirelessly), which will cause the sub to instantly power down and release an audible *thunk*, which gets extremely annoying after a while. Why do they not even give the option of a wired connection?
* No grill or covers for the speakers can lead to easy damage and difficult cleaning.
* Not vesa-mount compatible, though it can be fudged with the wall bracket
* No IR pass-through, so forget trying to mount this thing below your TV unless you want to stand up every time you need to use the remote
* The majority of settings cannot be used without a Samsung TV
* Clumsy volume management, slow and unresponsive to the remote.
* All of the sound modes are awful
I'm keeping the unit, because the alternatives are just as underwhelming, but don't go into this thing with high expectations.