4.0 out of 5 stars Quality for the money, easy hookup, but a bit tinny
Published 11 months ago by Sojourner1

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound is ok. The unit was easy to set up but.....
Published 4 months ago by S. Moore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality for the money, easy hookup, but a bit tinny, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Samsung HW-FM45C 280W Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and HDMI Cable (Derivative) (Electronics)
UPDATE/CLARIFICATION: In my prior review, I did not clarify my "a bit tinny" comment. This sound bar is fabulous for music via bluetooth, HD TV channels, and DVD/Blu Ray discs. It can be very loud with great Bass. But when watching TV on a non-HD channel or on older DVD's, the sound is not that great, the bass seems to be lost, and there doesn't seem to be any way to compensate for the bad audio.

REVIEW: I got my unit at a local "big box" store and was happy with the purchase. I had been looking for a sound bar with a small profile to go with my Samsung 3D TV, and with Bluetooth connectivity for music. This unit seemed to fit my needs.

This sound bar was really easy to set up. I was surprised at how big the subwoofer is, and perhaps misleadingly so. I expected really deep, rich, booming bass from the size of it, but that's not what comes out. It is a really nice bass, but it won't rattle any furniture.

The description of this device says "when used with a 2013 Samsung TV, you will be able to power on the AudioBar and control the volume right from the TV remote." I bought my Samsung 3D TV in November of 2012 and it still works with the sound bar remote for on/off, volume control, and mute. I have permanently muted the TV audio and just use the sound bar.

There are several sound settings like "drama, movie, game, news" etc. I have not found any of them particularly wonderful and leave them off most of the time.

I have not tried the 3D sound with the 3D TV option on or with a 3D movie yet. I will update this review when I have.

I do enjoy the Bluetooth connectivity with my other digital devices. I have both an iPod and an Android phone, both with different music and playlists on them. With this, I can use either. Strangely, the sound quality through the sound bar even on Bluetooth seems much better when I use the iPod than my Android.

It would be nice if this unit had more than one HDMI input. (There is one HDMI In and one HDMI Out.) I had to use the optical connection for the Cable box and the HDMI for my BluRay player. I'm not an audiophile so I don't understand all the connections but it did seem odd to not have more than one HDMI in port. Also from what I understood from the connection instructions, there are certain functions that only work if you connect certain devices by HDMI and I had to choose so I guess I might be missing out on certain functionality. So far, though, I have not found any irritating issues with this device.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this sound bar and think it is a good value for the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great power and clarity, January 12, 2014
I am not interested in mounting the many speakers required for a true surround system so I was looking at some 2-piece soundbar that could give me an upgrade over my TV speakers. I gave a try to an inexpensive Philips soundbar, but I was unimpressed. Then I saw this product at Costco and I decided to try it as well. It was a good choice.

Installation was very easy. The sub-woofer was paired with the main unit at the factory, so I did not have to do anything for them to find each other. I basically hooked up the power cables and I connected the bar to the TV via the included digital optical cable and that was it.

This Samsung bar has plenty of power - raising the volume to about half the range is already too powerful. There is no equalizer, but there is a good choice of sound effects including two surround effects (music and movie). I use the surround movie effect for DVD and video games and the sound is clear and with the surround effect it gains a nice spatial feeling over the TV speakers. The bar memorizes the state of all settings so it starts in the state it used to be when you last turned it off (this trivial feature was missing from the Philips).

I am pairing this with a Samsung TV, so that means I can also control the TV with the bar's remote. The documentation mentions that the bar could be controlled with a universal remote, so you could do that if you have a TV of a different brand. But with a Samsung TV, the bar remote provides all the main functions that I use the TV remote for, so it provides a good substitute for it.

One note: In case you are worried about it: when turned off, the sub-woofer will intermittently light up a blue LED. This shows it is monitoring for a signal from the main unit and is not an issue.

In conclusion, I am very happy with the sound quality of this bar and with the features it provides. This provides great value and is an obvious upgrade over the quality of TV speakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound is ok. The unit was easy to set up but....., February 12, 2014
S. Moore (Nashville, Tn) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit for Christmas and initially liked it. But after a while it began switching from the HDMI in setting to D.in. It now does this every time I turn it on. I contacted support and was told to ship the unit back at my expense. I was contacted by support and told there was no malfunction detected. The next thing I know the unit had been shipped back to me. I contacted support again and was told that you have to manually switch this unit from D.in to HDMI in every time you turn it on. I asked why I was told to ship it back and was told it must have been a miscommunication. Just know if you buy the unit you have to switch it manually every time you turn it on. Other than that I like it. I use it with a Samsung3D tv. Thanks. I hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding 2.1 System - Far Batter Than Expected, December 28, 2013
Crystal A. Bevers (Woodland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
The Samsung HW-FM45C is, in a word, outstanding. I have owned many sound systems, including 5.1 systems from Bose and Samsung previously. If you are expecting a 5.1 experience from a sound bar, you have unrealistic expectations and should just spend the $800-$2000 on a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater system. If you want sound that is extremely crisp with excellent bass response (and I like good deep bass) in a small package, then this is the perfect system for you.

Unlike other reviewers, I didn’t need to do a firmware upgrade to get Anynet+ to work with my Samsung TV and Blu-ray players. (If you don’t have a Samsung TV, this system will work and sound great, but volume and/or power controls will be separate from your TV – you may be better off getting a sound bar from the manufacturer of your TV to allow for one-remote integration) Setup was much easier than expected – just follow the included directions. I did need to adjust the sound sync with the Blu-ray player as the directions suggested might be needed if you use the HDMI pass-through port, which I did as my TV was out of open HDMI ports. 25ms was all it needed, and it is easy to adjust on the fly. Yes, if you want great sound AND integrated volume/power controls, then you need to use both digital audio (optical) and an HDMI port (if your TV doesn’t have an optical out, you can use a standard RCA or headphone style, it just won’t sound quite as good). This isn’t a Samsung thing, it is a limitation of existing audio protocols and Samsung provides the pass-through so that you don’t lose an HDMI port.

I also increased the subwoofer volume and set the 3D sound modeling to music and it is perfect for music, TV, and movies. Dialog is clear while maintaining that “big” sound with deep bass.

The Bluetooth sync is a snap and works perfectly. This system actually replaced a Bose desktop model for sound streaming from our phones (which will get repurposed, it is a good system) and this Samsung system sounds better (though it is bigger, and I favor good solid bass response).

This system is 5x better than the built-in speakers, and for my medium sized living room where a 5.1 system simply wouldn’t fit, I couldn’t be happier. Also, with 280 watts, it can fill the whole house with great quality sound and not get muddy or distorted. I honestly haven’t had it past 20 on volume as it is plenty loud for my new 1450sqft house.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have if you have a flat screen now a days., January 11, 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend for Christmas. She already had a samsung smart tv and blue ray play. The problem is nowadays the speakers are so damn small you can't hear anything even with the volume up. This fixed that real quick! This sound bar gives the room a more fuller sound if you will. We were able to sync it with the tv and blue ray player so we don't have to use multiple remotes. This is the one thing my girlfriend wanted and she loved it. You know what they say...... Happy wife, happy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great with our Samsung smart TV., May 10, 2014
It was a bit hard to figure the sequence of turning on with different remotes but all in all, it does exactly what I bought it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars remote code, April 23, 2014
would like to find code for soundbar, as to combine my remotes so I could shelve one remote control, like the unit fine

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased!, April 8, 2014
Met all the expectations I had when I ordered. Set up was fairly simple and sync between the bar an sub woofer was very easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, March 1, 2014
I bought this product refurbished. It had some minor scratches but nothing major. Easy to set-up especially for someone who isn't the brightest crayon in the box. I would recommend it

2.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasted, December 30, 2013
Loved the sound from this system, worked great for a month, but the sound started turning off intermittently. It would work again if we turned the soundbar off and on. We liked the system so much we put up with it for another month, but the problem became more and more frequent. It's going back to Costco today.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›