Published 6 months ago by Jason

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound marred by spotty wireless
Published 9 months ago by Andrew Shinn

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound marred by spotty wireless, March 28, 2014
This review is from: Samsung HW-H550 2.1 Channel 320 Watt Wireless Audio Soundbar (Electronics)
I was a little skeptical of how much better the sound could be from one of these things than the tiny speakers in my new LED television. But it does sound better. I'm using this paired with a newer Samsung UN60H6350AFXZA through the HDMI-ARC port and it works well. The subwoofer was easy to pair. Though the bass response isn't as great as I'd like it to be, it is acceptable.

I had to crank the treble all the way up (to it's max of +3 from default 0) to get the highs to sound decent. Since the subwoofer is a little muddy and slow, I also turned it down a couple notches (which is nice to have a separate subwoofer volume control).

My biggest gripe is that, while I got this primarily for the new television, I also wanted it for a better music listening experience while working on the couch. The bluetooth connection works pretty well through my phone (Nexus 5 on Android 4.4). But I cannot get it to pair with my mid-2013 MacBook Pro. A little disappointing as that is my primary device for listening to music.

The manual states that the USB port can be used for future firmware upgrades. So I hope this is just a bug that might be fixed in the future and not some "Samsung vs Apple" silliness... Being able to stream my music bluetooth from my laptop would make this a 5-star review for me.

Update (4/30/14):

The LCD panel has died on the unit only about a month after use. Not sure if I will try and return for this since the unit still functions fine with the TV and Bluetooth (I can't pair new devices since I can't see the LCD menu, but already paired devices still work fine). But this is annoying because I can't easily adjust the sound tone (bass and treble) or easily choose another function other than Bluetooth and HDMI. If it didn't automatically switch to the HDMI port when the TV was powered on, then this would be a show stopper.

I'm also noticing now that the Bluetooth performance and distance is very poor. On the couch, I'm only about 8 or 9 feet from the sound bar (line of sight) and my phone sitting on the couch next to me, streaming to the sound bar, skips every minute or so. If i set my phone on the floor just about a foot or two closer, it works fine. I consider this range to be pretty poor compared to a Logitech Bluetooth speaker I was using before where I can be nearly 20 feet from the speaker with my phone in pocket without skipping at all.

I'm torn between a 3 or 4 star review at this point. Considering the LCD issue could just be poor luck and likely not a widespread issue, I'll stand by the 4th star for now...

Update (5/30/2014):

There is another issue now happening which is annoying me even more than the weak Bluetooth signal. The subwoofer wireless connection seems to drop at least once during a show or movie. It drops out for about 2 seconds, which seems to be a signal issue, and then comes back. I've moved the subwoofer around a bit and now have it between my couch and chair (so that it has direct line of sight to the sound bar) and it still cuts out. I may try putting it next to the TV stand. But let's face it, I got a wireless subwoofer solution so I could put it behind the couch without running any wires!

For the subwoofer cutting out, the poor Bluetooth support, and the LCD screen that no longer works, I can no longer say this is more than a three star product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for my plasma, but SoundConnect is a horrible technology, June 12, 2014
I decided to stay Samsung for the Soundshare since it works with my 2013 Samsung PN51F5500. I wanted the ease of connecting without to many wires. I also decided to stay Samsung due to the small footprint of this soundbar. This thing is small and for apartment living it's a great soundbar because it fits directly in front of my plasma which takes a lot of room due to the stupid 4 prong swivel that comes with the plasma.

So why a Soundbar and not a full surround system? I'm in an apartment and the soundbar just seemed correct. Had this been a home, I would of thought twice and went full home theater system. Also, my plasma's sound is very lacking. I hate watching movies on this thing because voices are hard to hear sometimes. Due to it's direction of sound coming from the bottom of the television, it's poor. The soundbar improves this by providing me directional noise. Things are definitely clearer and with the presets, it's awesome.

How about the sub? Well, for a 900 sq ft apartment, this thing BOOMS while on the 0 setting (it moves -6 or +6). I've turned it down so I don't get a headache or get noise complaints. Seriously, wow! I can't wait to watch an action film with this bad boy!

Installation was a breeze. I just plugged it in, synced the soundbar with my plasma, and the soundbar synced automatically with the subwoofer, and i was good to go.

The quality is top notch. I love the side silver trim, and I love the LED in the middle of the soundbar that lets you know what you are doing.

I'm happy I got this unit :)

*UPDATE 06/12/14* That was short lived. I've found a really bad issue with this soundbar while it's connected using SoundShare (ActiveAir). When viewing videos via USB or streaming (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc.) -- the soundbar delivers a lot of crackling noise like you are playing an old record.

I'm going to get a HDMI cable tomorrow and see if the issue still occurs or not. If it doesn't, I'll have to say that SoundShare is a really s***** technology for not working on these types of format? I'm not even sure to classify it as a format.

I've already updated my Samsung PN51F5500 to the latest firmware. Unfortunately the soundbar doesn't have anything so time will tell. As of now -- I am a bit disappointed and lowering the rating to 3 stars until further investigation.

*UPDATE 06/15/14* I was able to get a HDMI cable and plugged it into the HDMI (ARC) connection on my plasma and then to the Soundbar's HDMI OUT. With this setup, everything is flawless. Sound is crisp, and I LOVE this upgrade. For anyone who is looking to use the SoundConnect feature with their 2013+ Samsung TV, I would say this unit is going to be a let down. I'm still not 100% sure what the deal is. It's possibly a mix between not able to pass 5.1 Channel to a 2.1 Soundbar through BT/Wifi or interference in the air with cellphones & routers.

I hope this review helps. If you have any questions feel free to post & I'll reply as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect sound system., September 3, 2014
Before i say anything man.. all i can say i wish i didnt have neighbors so i can blow the subwoofer 24/7 but anyways on to the review.

1st of all the two reviews that gave 1 star, one the remote does work to control volume, it's in settings.. not too hard and the other review just called it garbage and didnt even state reasons. So yeah..ignore em.

I have a sony ht xt1 in my bedroom which is best suited for that and this system in my living room which is about 5 times louder and much more powerful subwoofer. I was very surprised at this pricepoint how amazing and loud/theater-like it is. The thing goes to 50 volume and i havent even gone past 28, it's insane loud. Anymore and neighbors would be at door, This is best suited for living room/movies. For music it's great too, you can put the subwoofer in a 33 feet range from anywhere in your room/setup and sound will still be perfect. It's wireless and I don't know why some reviews say soundconnect is horrible, I had no problem with it. Alot of times when you're manufacturing thousands and thousands of soundbars, the people satisfied will alot of the times not even come to review it but if it turns out faulty... people will rush to write the bad reviews but yeah not every single system can be 10/10 perfect but I'm sure you can return if anything. I've had a ton of TVs in the past but one out of (12-13) TVs came out faulty and i returned it for same model, it was much better and still works to this day. Now i'm not a expert to know mids highs and all that but this audio is 10/10 in my opinion, Its as close to theater sound as Ive heard since ht xt1. I've tested plenty of movies/different sounds/music/cable it all has a decent enough balance. Its easy to use and has bluetooth so connecting your tablets or phones will be a second away. Also this doesn't supply a high speed hdmi cable so getting that for this would be a great idea if you eatch blurays and want the best sound. (I don't know why they dont ship hdmi with soundbars..) Would highly recommend, worth every penny regardless.

questions:

This or ht.xt1/yamaha soundbar?
That depends. If it's a bedroom ht xt1 is perfect (built in subwoof isnt as powerful but its good still)
this soundbar is just too much for a bedroom, it's meant to cover larger area.

this or hw 450?
Both are good but obviously this one has more watt/power so youre going to get a better subwoof,
If a good subwoof suffices then get hw 450, if you really wanna shake your walls and want extra, get this.

Do i need soundbar?
Yes. TVs will become thinner and sound will get worse, At this point in 2014 it's like required honestly for decent entertainment

EDIT:

Now i'm not gonna edit review to complain but let me actually say something which may differ from my upper/current review. This a great soundbar dont get me wrong but after listening to a bunch of different soundbars and going back to this ive spotted a difference. The thing is my other soundbar has a balanced audio and subwoofer goes perfectly with it. This soundbar however if there's no explosion happening or if certain types of audio are being played in a movie the subwoofer doesnt really go that well with it, (maybe a audio expert could tell what im missing) but what i'm saying is this soundbar is great for like transformers but if youre watching a movie that has no explosion happening then subwoofer is basically off and youre technically left with tv audio.. my other soundbar however does not do this, its very balanced so even if theres just voice or other types of audios the subwoof is like ALWAYS on. it's hard to explain. Like for example a piano only song played vs a bass boost dubstep song, my other soundbar will play piano with the subwoofer in great audio balanced but this soundbar the piano song subwoof audio will be nonexistent (it will sound like tv audio). Its like its only there for a explosion and it's great when its loud, just not balanced when it's not loud or explosions happeneing. Sony ht.xt1 is much better for subwoof on non explosion type sounds so you still get good sound and not just left with tv speaker audio.. Also my opinion i guess would be slightly different if it wasnt for connected houses but i need good sound in lower audio volume but i still wanna enjoy a good subwoof and ht.xt1 does that. Not a bad soundbar but basically if youre like me that doesnt wanna disturb neighbors (ive gotten 2 complaints :/) i wouldnt get this. go with htxt1 BUT if i had a country house oh god i would blow this subwoofer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Sound Bar and Subwoofer -- this thing really rocks, November 26, 2014
Amazon Customer (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Samsung Sound Bar and Subwoofer. This thing really rocks.

The sound bar has an HDMI in and HDMI out jack. It also has a 3.5 mm audio in jack, an Optical Digital in Jack and a USB jack. It has an AC cord that plugs into the wall. It also came with a remote, a 3.5 audio cable and brackets for mounding the sound bar on the wall if you like (I just placed my sound bar on my 42" TV stand though). I connected the 3.5 mm directly into the back of my TV and the sound bar. This way, anything I would hear from my TV, I can now also hear from the sound bar. I also have a blueray player, PS3, Wii, Apple TV and PS2 which are all hooked up to the TV so I can hear all of them on this system. (although I used the supplied 3.5 mm audio cable buying an Optical Digital cable and plugging that into your TV and sound bar would be best)

The subwoofer is wireless and plugs into the wall outlet (having a seperate plug for the subwoofer makes it possible for it to have even more bass). The subwoofer is not connected by wires to the sound bar. That part is wireless. Placing the subwoofer towards my back wall instead of in frot creates more of a surround sound effect.

I easily paired the bluetooth on my S4 Galaxy phone to the sound bar so I can play all of my music that is on my phone. The volume on the system goes up to level 50. For music, I had it at level 22 and it was rocking pretty loud. I used to have a full component surround sound rack stereo system and I was looking for something smaller but that could still fill that long lost void in my life. This system does quite well. Very glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "WOW" 2 year old said it.. wow, July 16, 2014
Works great! I am able to control the sound bar with my Samsung 6800 TV remote.
Sound works great with regular tv channels, blue tooth and through wireless network drives AVI format files work great!!! Very crisp and sharp sound the sub woofer is awesome.
I bought this system from Best Buy for $314 it is worth every penny! I tested the blue tooth quality and range at store, I found the samsung sound bars blue tooth range was best! LG sound bar was horrible it started to cut out 4 feet away.
I am not sure if type of phone makes any difference but I'm using Samsung S4.

My 2 year old son said WOW while playing Frozen at sound level 25. I played the beginning of the movie 6 times for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Premium Soundbar for Samsung HDTV owners., August 7, 2014
Got this for my brother's condo and so far it's been real solid. Paired it wirelessly with his UN55H7150 and setup took less than 5 minutes; was kind of taken aback by how simple Samsung's SoundShare/Connect makes pairing a capable sound bar. Bass levels are decent, could be louder, but for the size of the living area in my bro's condo, it's perfect.

Only issue I'm experiencing thus far is a little "bzzz" noise when loading content from the Plex channel on a Roku 3. It's a short little buzz, like less than half a second. Read online that can be fixed by using a wired connection, so we're going to try that. If that's not a viable solution, it's a minor issue really as that's the only instance it ever happens. Will troubleshoot more with the folks on the Roku forums and Plex channels to see what could be causing it.

That said! This is a great product for those who own Samsung HDTVs that support SoundShare/Connect and want a significant upgrade over the built in-speakers. Highly recommended, not just for the aesthetics (this thing looks sleek and modern), but for the sound as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Amazing sound, great bass, easy to synch with Samsung TV., November 8, 2014
I installed this for a friend. The sound is exceptionally good. Lots of bass.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure if this is the best that Samsung could have done, November 30, 2014
I'm not sure if this is the best that Samsung could have done. It was meh. It wasn't too bad but wasn't outstanding either.

When you connect Bluetooth to your soundbar you'll hear this high pitch sound while the audio is playing. I'm not sure if most peeps will be able to hear it but I could hear it very clearly and distinguisgly.

Im what you might call an audiophile. Very picky about the sound and it did not live up to my standard.

I'm sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing product and sound, November 14, 2014
amazing product and sound. I bought this one for my bedroom and a more expensive one for my living room and this one would have been good for both room. It's that good of a product. The bass is good and loud (you can always adjust it) and the sound is nice and loud as well. Great price point and premium product and sound. Brings your TV alive!!! One of my best investments this year and the grey color is sleek and modern.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good soundbar, November 4, 2014
Slender design and ample power. No problems so far. The soundbar can get really loud. Still haven't tried it at its maximum volume. The subwoofer is just adequate, but as an overall package, I got exactly what I thought I would.