5.0 out of 5 stars Infuse vs Captivate
I've never had a phone or PDA where I didn't have to sacrifice a lot to get something else. Not with this one. I am a Google addict. I use Google Docs, Tasks, Contacts, GMail, Calendar, etc. So of course this phone works perfectly with all of that and syncs well with my Galaxy Tab, Windows 7 PC and MacBook Air.

Before this I had a Captivate running Froyo and...
Published on May 19, 2011 by Todd Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a mini-tablet than a phone
Overall:
I enjoyed this "phone"...except that I got about 20 dropped calls a day and call quality was horrific. It functions great as a beautiful mini-tablet, but not really as a phone.

The pros:
- the screen is beautiful
- Android market is great
- As a former longtime-Iphone user I greatly appreciate how Android allows one to alter the...
Published on September 24, 2011 by B. Aho

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Simply Wow., June 13, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I had a Samsung Captivate that was recently destroyed. I left it on top of my car and drove down the highway, no joke, and I actually found the pieces. Needless to say, I needed a new phone, and I've had my eye on the Infuse since it came out.

The big sell for me was the large display, I have no vision problems, but I always felt that my Captivate's 4" screen was too small.

I walked in the store, pointed to the Infuse, and within 30 minutes I had one in my hands. It took me less than a day to realize just how nice this phone really was. The screen is simply brilliant. My co-workers were blown away by the quality of the screen (all of them own Androids, with the exception of one, who has an iPhone).

It also didn't take me long to notice the speed improvements. The Captivate is definitely noticeably slower. Don't get me wrong, the Captivate is decent, but I'm a power user. I have apps running / widgets / live wallpapers. And after awhile, my Captivate felt bogged down. I have my Infuse setup identically and it doesn't even hiccup.

The front facing camera is a nice bonus, and the battery life is surprisingly good. With the Captivate, I took it off the charger at 9AM and I was re-charging at about 6PM. With my Infuse, I went from 8AM to 9PM and I used the phone all day. I was blown away.

To put it simply

PROS
-Screen size
-4G (HSPA+)
-Battery
-Front facing camera
-Thin / Light
-Amazing speaker / sound quality
________

CONS (All minor / small issues)
- Froyo (would be nice to see a newer version)
- HDMI needs dongle to work

Note: I'll definitely be keeping this phone for a longtime, does EVERYTHING I need it to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Phone command lacking, August 12, 2011
Bill (Fresno, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I may be wrong, but AT&T agrees. There are no Phone Commands built into this phone. The last 4 or 5 phones I have had, I could say call Lisa Smith, Home, and it takes care of the dialing. This is especially important when using hands free in the car. Most every car kits use the voice commands to run the hands free. AT&T sold me a Blue Ant S4 for my wife, stating it did everything within the Blue Ant, and did not need phone commands. Not true. The first thing it does when turned on is say, We can not find your phones voice commandsm please check your settup. You can use voice commands to search the internet, find a spot on the map, or directions. Why would they not include phone commands? Makes Hands free driving pretty impossible. My Motorola Roadster is perfect with my Droid X. Will not work at all with the Infuse.

Other than that, I am impressed. I have a Droid X, and I hated to admit that I thought my wife had purchased a better phone than I had when she brought home the Infuse. Now I would not trade her if she paid my bill. I need the hands free.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not hard to please but i'm no push-over either, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I appreciated a review here by "Ivan" and wanted to bounce off his "2 months later" post with my experience with the phone.

1. Ivan mentioned that his unit takes 4 to 5 hours to recharge. I went round-n-round with Samsung tech support, which as anyone knows is one of the worst in the industry. After some board discussions and personal experience, I found out that COMPLETELY discharging the battery at least once monthly actually helps the battery hold a charge better. Also, I bought 4 2100mAh batteries for the Infuse which I rotate on a 5-day cycle. I also bought an auxiliary charger so that when one battery is charging, I've got another 4 I can use (counting the OEM battery). If i use the phone itself to charge the battery, it only takes 2 to 3 hours. If I use the generic charger, it does indeed take 4 or more hours to charge. (To completely discharge, turn on GPS and other battery drainers until the unit powers itself down. Then charge.)

2. Ivan observed that "Your battery will drain while using it plugged in." That has not been my experience. Something may be defective on the connector of his phone.

3 Ivan observed "GPS accuracy is not that great. It takes forever to determine your location..." Amen to that. But all GPS units need line-of-sight to the sky. I have found just sitting in car will prevent my phone from acquiring satellite signal. But if I stand outside in clear view of the sky, it does better. It still takes a little time, but so does my Garmin dedicated GPS unit.

4. Ivan said that "The iphone keyboard is by far snappier and better..." I can't comment on that. I've never drank the iPhoney coolaid and don't ever want to. I use Swype on my Infuse and I love it. On a regular keyboard, I've been clocked at 45 to 55 wpm. But hey, I'm not writing a book on this thing (Well, actually I am but that's another story). Most of what I do is short text msgs, so I'm very happy with Swype.

5. Ivan mentioned: "Although the dialing pad is fast its still not as crisp and fast as the iphone's dialing pad." My response: "Huh? What?" First of all, I rarely ever dial a number. I choose from my contact list or have created shortcuts. If it is business I'm looking up, I use Google's webpage number recognition and dial directly from the webpage. Finally, if I do need to dial a number, I use the voice action and just tell the phone: "dial 555-555-1234" and it does it. So I really am not sure what the big deal is about the dial pad. On the rare occasions that I have had to use it, it worked just fine.

6. About incoming images, Ivan wrote: "Cannot zoom in or make full screen on picture messages received. I really liked doing that when i had an iphone." My response: That really is a minor inconvenience. Just save the image to your phone and then open & view it. Doing that, you can zoom just fine.

7. Ivan wrote: "Extremely weak wifi antenna. If I go to my backyard which is not that far I lose the wifi signal. I can still use it fine inside the house. The only way for the wifi signal bars to be completely full is to hold it right next to the wireless router." My observations: I have a G-series router and live in a single level, 3-bedroom, 1200 squarefoot home. If I'm in the kitchen (farthest pt from router) my signal is one bar. If I am in the room with the router, I have full bars and no, I'm not touching the router.

8 Ivan wrote: "4g speeds aren't really that much faster than 3g when browsing the web, unless you have full signal bars then you could notice a speed difference...but how often do you have full bars with ATT?" My response: I also live in Northern CA. Not sure what town he's in but I have great reception in the Central Valley and in the Bay Area (So that is San Francisco to Stockton and all points in-between EXCEPT the Alta Mont pass). And data speeds ARE much faster for me than my wife's Captivate which she still uses.

I have only one other item to mention & that is about Samsung's Media Player--junk! I got one of the original Infuse phones on the first day of their release which came with $20 of free movie download. I was never able to download even one complete movie.

This month (June 2012) marks my having the Infuse for one year. It is without exception the best phone I have ever had but it is also the first "smartphone" I've ever had. My upgrade won't come for about another 10 months and I've got my eyes on the upcoming Samsung Note II.

So, the points that Ivan & I have differing experience on would only be a point of ponder. On the matters we agree on, you're going to need to ask yourself if those features are really that important to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Former iPhone 3GS owner, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am happier with the Samsung Infuse over the iPhone 3GS for a few reasons and they may just be personal preferences. First, the size of the phone is a plus for me. I know in today's world smaller and faster is what everyone else is after but I like the screen size of the Samsung Infuse. It is easier to read and type on and videos are better on the larger screen. I have large fingers and typing on the keyboard allows for fewer errors. A lot of electronic documents are adobe type documents and I got fed up with Apple's obstinate and hardheaded refusal to work something out with Adobe. I am not an intensive apps guy but the apps on the Samsung are just as plentiful on the Samsung Infuse in my experience as far as usefulness. Some apps available on the iPhone are useless just like a lot channels on cable or satellite TV. They can boast about how many apps they have but are they really useful? I am not trying to convince iPhone users to switch if they are happy. I am only providing my opinion on a phone that provides an alternative to the iPhone for anyone else that may have the same ideas about what they desire in a smart phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars First smart phone, love it!, November 13, 2011
R.H. "R.H" (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My husband and I both purchased a Samsung Infuse 4G and signed up with a new contract through Amazon Wireless.

Previously, my husband had only a very basic, low-tech phone, and I had a Samsung Alias. We decided it was time to quit being tech laggards :)

We really enjoy the Samsung Infuse. Yes, it's big, but it's thin and the size does not bother us one bit. The screen is beautiful. The interface is intuitive. We are in the process of coverting our CDs to digital music and really appreciate that there is enough memory on the phones to use them as portable music players. Now we just need to purchase a blue-tooth speaker... Also, the speaker on the phone is great! Don't get me wrong, it's still a cell phone speaker and has limitations, but I bring it into the kitchen and stream Pandora while cooking...awesome!

I've read a lot about people who gripe about it not yet having the latest Android Gingerbread O.S., or not having dual-core processors, but what it currently has works great!

In summary, we are very happy with our purchase thus far, and even happier that we purchased the phones from AmazonWireless and saved a chunk of money :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome, September 23, 2011
miguel ruge (CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Just like many reviewers I came from an iPhone 3GS I have a coworker who bought it and after much research and watching reviews on YouTube I was finally convinced to let go of the I phone having had the phone for over a month and learning how to adjust to the android system and the overall handling of the infuse 4G I,m very happy to report that this phone is really awesome it has sooooo many features I keep finding new stuff just about every day and the more I learn the more impress I get with this phone, the video quality it's just beautiful the pictures are just awesome and the movie trailers play with such high definition and sharpness I downloaded the movie "top gun" And actually sat there and watched the whole movie on my infuse and the android market has so many free apps which download and install at such high speed it's just incredible ,no apple password no hassels no waiting time , they download and install now
I keep hearing about the iPhone 5 they say it's going to bring this and do that I tell you nothing compares to that huge screen
my wives iPhone 4 feels so tiny on my hand now I don't know how I use to be able todo anything with it ,and that excuse that it's too big . . . it's not, it's just a matter of getting used to it you will learn to appreciate it afterward
so if you are thinking about it but have concerns just watch the YouTube video infuse 4G vs iPhone and you will see some of the things I'm talking about
I'm very happy with my infuse 4g and I'm glad samsung came out with a phone that it's much better than the I phone and the apple way of doing things
oh and the price of amazon it's great did I mention the $25.00 dollar coupon to buy Movies music or apps
Just get get it and you won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 4G Phone..!!, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
OK, I have been using my Samsung Infuse 4G for more than a month and I can say that It is the best 4g phone available in AT&T right now. Android is very nice operating system once you get used to it. Screen is breath taking and colors are very real. Battery life is very good if u stop running unnecessary applications from task manager, It lasts 2 days in my case with moderate phone and internet use. Unlike iPhone this phone has many ways to make it work your way.

Pros:4G capable
Breath taking screen, light weight, excellent camera and video recording capability
Flash support, Mozilla Firefox
GPS, 5.1 surround sound is a big plus

Though some issues I would like to mention,
1: Phone takes 3.5 to 4hrs to charge completely. I am not sure everybody has same experience or not.
2: Wi-Fi reception is weak compare to other devices and I tested Samsung Infuse side by side with other phones and It shows one signal strength bar when I keep it only 3 feet away from my router where all other devices including my laptop, TV, Home Theater, iPhone shows full signal strength.
3: Volume of incoming and outgoing calls could be better.
4: At&T's 4G network is just a joke as I get around 3Mbps in St Louis Metro area and I also tested during my trip to Michigan and it is nowhere near to even 5Mbps and they advertise up to 21mbps...!! I would say it is just 3G+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone until my speakers stopped working, July 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The Samsung Infuse is a great phone. It has a fast Internet connection, the applications flow seamlessly, etc. For me, upgrading from a 3G phone to a 4G Android, was a major improvement. My only problem now, is (after 30 days) the speakers stopped working. Any phone calls where I use to put the person on speaker, as well as when I played music aloud, doesn't work now. I'm currently using my protection plan to get it repaired. *** Has anyone else experienced 'speaker's not working'?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Phone - switched from Iphone - huge leap, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am coming from an Iphone 3g. To me this seems like a huge leap.

The Infuse is Fast........so what its not dual core like the SGS2 or Atrix. It still pumps out video and webpages very quickly. It is almost/or as fast as a regular laptop IMO.

The best feature on this phone is its beautiful display, the colors are vibrant and the blacks are deep. THis is like having a mini plasma display....I don't get why some people knock this phone on blurry text due to its resolution being lower than some other phones.......They are crazy, you are being too anal.

The camera on this phone is also very good. The colors are very vibrant and the interface is nice. Who cares if it does not record 1080p Video, are you crazy. 720p is all you need. Especially if you are only watching on a phone.

The phone is very thin and fits in my pockets well. It feels a little big in my hand but that does not annoy me at all.

I have heard some people complain of GPS issues, but mine works and locks on fast.

Battery life is good. It seems to be better than my iPhone and I use it a lot more because you can actually look at stuff on webpages, and navigate quickly.

The hdmi adapter works but the Samsung media hub does not let you output to HDTV's with a rental ( i guess some copyright issue). Youtube worked fine and video recorded on the phone outputted nice.

The phone is just nice looking over all and it catches everyone's eye

I also love the Google interface. I like being able to press and hold the capacitive search button and go straight to voice search. Then I say "call Lauren" ( my wife) and it pulls her right up and I can call her. I also like the google voice integration. If you are on WiFi and don't have ATT signal, you can use Google voice to call. You can set the phone up to let you choose if you want to use Google voice or the ATT network.

The voice control in search or on any of the keyboards works very well to.

App's that I like to use are the Beautiful widgets, I like to use HTC sense super-clock. I also like the swipe-pad app. This can give you quick access to apps while hiding them. Circle Launcher is a cool app for accessing apps while keeping your pages clean.

The android software is nice because I can customize everything.....it takes a couple of days to get used to but I think its way better that IOS. It is probably harder for some people to pick up but once you do its awesome.

Lastly I thought the only negative to this phone was not having visual voice mail like you do with an I phone. I hate having to press 1 and go through my voice-mail. Well you can get an app for that. I downloaded You mail and it works great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Its awful, November 23, 2012
Jason (FRESNO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Infuse 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for about 8 months now and i must say its the worst phone i have had. it freezes on me, its battery is the worst. The android os is nothing compared to my iPhone and the construction of the phone is cheap. It just stopped charging out of no where so now i have to buy a new charger. i would not buy a samsung phone ever again. To be honest, spend the extra 50 bucks and but the iPhone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›