5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid of the sound or stand
I did a lot of research before buying this TV. I originally purchased a Hanspree and the sound was horrible. The sound on this set is great, one of the best I have heard in a panel, and gets better with a little tweaking.

Published on December 22, 2011 by Tuna

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaky LN32D403
This TV has a lot to like, ie, picture, sound, but suffers from a very shaky mounting base.
I believe that the attachment between the TV and base is defective. Samsung has been contacted and will forward, at some future date,a new attachment which,hopefully, will correct the problem.
(My first Samsung TV did not exhibit this problem.)
Published on January 9, 2012 by Brian Hogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid of the sound or stand, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Samsung LN32D403 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL] (2011 Model) (Electronics)

As for the stand: A lot of reviews say the stand his flimsy or horrible, and all I can say to those is that it sounds like they didn't put it together correctly or read the directions. I was hesitant to buy it because of those reviews, but they aren't true. There are 2 screw holes that can be missed if not paying attention. I believe there are 6 screws total, and if done correctly it is very sturdy. DO NOT be worried about the stand and enjoy a Samsung quality TV for under $300. We are!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture, July 12, 2011
About a year ago I bought the 22 inch version of this TV and was very impressed with the picture - better than a new Sony my dad has. The sound was not important because I have it hooked up to my stereo. The 32 inch one I just bought is in the living room and not hooked to a stereo - sound is OK at best. Picture is brilliant. 5 stars for the picture, 3 for the sound. And now the bad part - the stand is pitiful, it wobbles and leans and is simply not substantial enough for the TV. I had to prop up the left side with a book and a coaster to get the thing to stay level. The TV is set up in a wall cabinet, so it does not get bumped and I can live with the book propping it up, but I'm telling you the stand is practically worthless. The stand gets '0' stars. But since the picture is fantastic, and you might be buying it for wall mount and hooking to your stereo, these issues can be marginal for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for the price of good., September 13, 2011
Bought this TV at a local store, set up was really easy. HD picture is pretty good but the local broadcasts in non-HD aren't that great on it. I really got it for my XBox 360, I used a Component cable for the connection and...WOW!...it looks awesome! Great definition during game play. The sound is OK, better when you turn on the SRS Surround. Really have no gripes about it at all, considering I paid only $298 for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV for sane price, November 24, 2011
I bought this set a few years ago (forgot to write a review on it) and it has stood the test of time. I've had no trouble with it in any sense save for a couple times the speakers acted up. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if there's an official term for when speakers output a static, distorted sound when a particular sound/pitch is played through them. Regardless, this happened a couple times.

I haven't had this problem in quite some time so let me talk about why this is a decent set. If you're not looking for something obnoxiously large or high-end, this 32-inch is great, especially if you use it for gaming (like I do) and sit less than 8 feet away. The menus are easily navigated, the remote is nice and I haven't had any trouble with stability. It swivels about 25-30 degrees in both directions and has plenty of inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA, etc.) for all of today's technology.

Don't be fooled by others reviews. For the price I paid, the quality is good, the size is just what I wanted, and this is a decent set for only being 720p. There might be some QC issues but I did not have any, so I'm giving this set the full 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lack of inputs/options, but great picture, November 9, 2011
The TV performs and looks fantastic in HD broadcasts and Blu-ray. The Samsung LCD's/LED's have the best picture on the market in my opinion, true blacks, vibrant but not overly saturated colors, and all of that jazz.

For $300 it's a good deal on a basic, quality "high end" 32" LCD with 2 HDMI outputs. The TV also has one set of RCA audio inputs (red/white) and one set of component inputs.

The problem I have with this type of model is that the RCA audio inputs do not carry a signal directly to, say, bookshelf speakers or even non-digital audio receivers, and there's no headphone jack.

You will need a DVD player, VCR, media player or say, a digital cable box from your cable or satellite provider, or a "digital" (i.e. not analog) 5.1 audio system, to route sound out to separate speakers.

So with my Samsung Blu-ray player, which has the RCA jack inputs, I get sound out to my Bose bookshelf speakers when I'm playing anything on the Blu-ray player, but not from the TV itself when I'm watching network TV or cable (since I do not have a digital cable box from my provider). Basically you need an audio signal coming from something other than the TV, or by using one of the HDMI slots, to bypass the TV's speakers. The RCA jacks on the TV are virtually useless (input only, no sound output in other words, from what I can gather).

I hope this make sense to people contemplating this TV and that they are aware of this when purchasing it. While the TV's factory speakers are not horrible by HD TV standards today, they are definitely not adequate for movie watching etc.., but I live with it for network/cable broadcasts, but enjoy a great picture and sound with my Blu-ray player or XBox.

I can also connect the HDMI cable directly from my PC's video card to the TV's HDMI inputs and use it as a huge computer monitor. The USB slot only seems to recognize USB thumb/flash drives, it would not recognize my 1TB external USB hard drive, for instance (but my Samsung Blu-Ray player takes care of that).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price!!, November 26, 2011
I Bought this on sale @ Best Buy. Have Direct Tv.. picture is great. I have set on the best picture setting. It is called vivid. The sound is ok. There are 5 settings you can choose from. Some are better than others. The stand is fine.. sturdy~ Took one woman.. to make it work. Ha. I have seen stands put together wrong it is easy to do.. and it is easy to fix. :> I think for the money..the best 32 inch out there. I have a 50 inch Panasonic it is good.. the pic on the Samsung is just as good! I say buy it..

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 403 A GREAT Value!, October 31, 2012
OK - I read all the reviews up to this. I surveyed all (well....many of.....) the 32-inch HDTVs out there. At least the ones in the "budget" category. I went to Best Buy. Went to Wal-Mart. I stood back. I stared. I reviewed specs and stats. I vacillated between going "cheap" (a.k.a. "no name" or "somewhat familiar" name) and famous "name brand". I run a moderately-sized independent inn (hotel) with 20 rooms and needed to make a wise purchase. I have a 65" LG 3D TV at home purchased last Christmas through Amazon. Love it...but after the "dust settled" in this 32-inch category.....I looked at prices and caught a sale at WallyWorld ($268)....with Best Buy matching it....I bought 20 of these babies. Samsung....not LG. WHY?..you ask?

First....there is NO such thing as a non-"flimsy" TV base. After taking the very first one out of the box...I saw part of the "shaky problem". The metal frame and the shiny black plastic overlay do not fit perfectly together with every TV. NO BIGGIE. I estimated the engineering issue at about 1/32"-1/64" of "play...front to back. Solution? I got a cheap roll of RUBBER electrical tape (not vinyl), cut ONE 1-inch piece and tacked it on top of the base-bottom rubber pad (rear one). VOILA. No...more....wobble....or shake. Sure....this COULD have been prevented with better production of the metal base and plastic molding....but what is....is. C'mon people! No need to bellyache....look for solutions! It now has NO wobble. Yeah...make sure that you "crank" in the 7 screws so they bottom out....and a slight extra crank. You're done. Attach your coax.....attach the power cord.....turn it on.....click...click....click.....wait for the channels to memorize (if you have cable, etc.) then wait the 10-15 minutes of plug-in-play programming to finish up. Program the date and time. Enjoy your TV. Samsung has a great rating for a reason. Clean. Bright. Crisp.

Oh...the LG was my second choice....but I preferred the brightness/vibrancy of this Samsung. Plus the "swoopy" design of the lower part of the TV frame in front seemed more "modern". I DO wish that there was a volume limiter option...but, alas....this is a consumer-grade TV...not an overpriced "hotel grade". SUPERB VALUE at this price point. Oh....don't sweat the 60Hz vs. 120 or the 720p vs. 1080p. At 32 inches.....your eyes/brain will HARDLY know the difference. Sorta like the difference between 87 and 92 octane. You'll hardly notice. Except for the $50-$100 dollar difference. I noticed THAT! BTW, there is NO "tilt" on this base. I have NO idea where THAT previous comment came from....

I may write more as time goes by. For now....I have 12 more TVs to install. Anyone want twenty-three 27-inch, 60lb CRT (tube) prehistoric TVs? Goodwill, here I come....

UPDATE 11/9/12: I am still VERY please with this TV. I have the open-box-to-all-set-up process down to 5 minutes (plus the self-programming which takes about 15 minutes). Indeed, there is a consistent, very SLIGHT off-level issue with the stand base. One 1-inch slice of rubber electrical tape on the REAR bottom pad is all it takes. There are NO issues with ill-fitting screws AT ALL. Just eat your spinach beforehand so you can put a bit of "umph" in your final twists - they are self-tapping. This is really a great bang-for-the-buck at $268 (WM).

4.0 out of 5 stars So far So good, November 28, 2011
I bought this t.v. and have had it about a day. After doing a few minor "fixes" (change audio settings and display settings) this is great :) Though to be honest, I am not a picky person when it comes to tv's and am upgrading from a 26" so this is HUGE ;) I was able to get this for a deep discount at a local store and am happy with it thus far.

MAJOR negative is the stand. I am going to take it apart and see if I missed a screw or something, very wobbly, but I intend on mounting it so won't be a problem for long. Also, the instructions could be clearer.

Great tv= 5 star
stand =-1

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaky LN32D403, January 9, 2012
Brian Hogan (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
(My first Samsung TV did not exhibit this problem.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Update TV Had To Be Returned, January 4, 2012
I wrote a great review about this television below because I felt it was a great TV. I left the TV on in my bedroom for about an hour and went into another room to do some work. When I came back there was an extreme harsh smell in the room from the TV, As I mentioned below, I own another Samsung TV and that TV has absolutely no smell..

The smell, smelled like it was toxic. . Similar to the smell of plastic that had burned. You could feel it in your eyes and throat

I immediately contacted Amazon and they sent me a return authorization. I wanted to get another TV, but the system wouldn't allow me to order a replacement, it would only give me a refund. I later found out the TV is now being sold by another vendor.

If anyone is reading this from Samsung or Amazon, you should pick up the TV and find out what is wrong with it.

Also, if anyone one from Amazon reads this, I still would like to get the same TV replaced.

My review before I had to return the TV.

I am going to start this review with the mounting base. For anyone who has a hard time installing this base, I have posted pictures for your review on the product page. I found it extremely easy to install the base, and have no idea why anyone would have problems with this procedure. Samsung could not have written the instructions any clearer. As for the stability of the base, I feel it is fine. The TV does wobble a little while moving the base, but when the base is placed in its final resting place, there will be no need to really touch the TV. The TV on the base is stable.

This is my second Samsung TV. I have spend days looking at different televisions, and every time, I go right back to Samsung. I thought I would save some money and buy one of those $199.00 TV's. I tried to convince myself the picture was good, but it wasn't. Also the sound on several lower priced TV's are very tinny. Back to the store the bargain priced TV went.

Picture quality is great. The picture is very sharp and the colors are very bright. Sound quality is good.

As I mentioned, this is the second Samsung TV I own. Both of these TV's have just been plugged in. I have not changed any color settings on either TV.

Go to a store before you buy A TV. Look at the the TV's. You will notice Samsung TV's always look brighter and sharper than most of the other's.

I give this TV 5 Stars. Amazon is great to work with. If you feel the TV you received has a problem, notify them. They will work with you. If your Amazon TV is defective , they will make arrangements for UPS to come to your front door and carry it out to their truck. It could not be easier.