5.0 out of 5 stars About that base . . .
Published on May 19, 2011 by Christopher Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not play video files off USB drive!
While this is a very nice little TV, the description of it here is inaccurate. Contrary to what's written above, this TV will not play video files off a USB drive, it will only play music or show jpegs. Very disappointing. Samsung tells me that thus far, there is not firmware upgrade available to fix this.
Published on December 30, 2011 by T. Jensen

5.0 out of 5 stars About that base . . ., May 19, 2011
This review is from: Samsung LN32D450 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL] (2011 Model) (Electronics)
Putting together the base was fairly straightforward for me. At no point did I feel that I had to overtighten the screws in order to keep things from wobbling. The one glitch is that (in English, French, and Spanish) the instructions for assembling the base have the labels for the front and the rear switched, so that the pedestal is alleged to be closer to the front of the base than the rear, contrary to what published photos of the assembled product indicate. I don't know if this mislabeling is what has given people problems with the base, or if Samsung used to ship worse-fitting hardware than it does now. In any case, I'm glad I didn't let the complaints about the base hold me back from purchasing this item.

I've owned this set for less than 24 hours, but perhaps some initial impressions will be helpful to other shoppers:

1) I spent over half an hour wandering through an electronics megastore comparing pictures and I have to say that I couldn't detect any advantage of 1080p over 720p for sets of this size. (I assume that a store this big was feeding in some 1080p content, but I could be wrong.) At home, over-the-air 720p and 1080i content looks great on this set.

2) While the LED sets are sleeker than the LCD sets, I didn't think that the LED picture was any better. Both I and one other customer in the store were vacillating between the Samsung UN32D4000N and this set, and we both ended up opting for this one.

3) Some review sites represent these LCD sets as having narrow viewing angles. To my eyes, that was far from true, as almost every set in the store had a picture that was easily viewable from far to the side.

4) Buyers' guides imply that we all now need sets that are twice as big as the sets we were buying a few years ago. In particular, a 32-inch set is all of a sudden considered far too small for a living room. Well, I think this set looks good in my living room. It's nice not to have my house look like my life revolves around television viewing.

5) If there's a way to have this set memorize channels from two different antenna positions, it wasn't obvious to me. Fortunately, on my 3rd or 4th try I was able to orient my antenna so that the set located all my local channels on one scan.

6) At this set's current price, you run very little risk of buyers' remorse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture quality, mediocre audio at best, May 11, 2011
Cons:
1) As noted in other reviews attaching the stand to the television is challenging and will require much more force than you would believe necessary.
2) Owners manual is not very thorough nor are instructions very clear
3) Attaching the securing strap(not included) on the back of the televsion to your stand involves creativity & parts of your choosing, as there are no instruction.

Pros:
1) Excellent video quality for 720P/60Hz
2) Attractive / aesthetically pleasing appearance
3) Nice menu layout and features
4) (2)HDMI's & (1)USB

For anyone experiencing problems with the picture quality this television has a built in picture & audio test. To implement the test(s) you will need
to press;
1)The Green Menu Button near the center of the remote
2)Use the UP arrow to scroll UP one to where "Support" is displayed vertically along the left edge of the set
3)Arrow to the RIGHT Once
4)Arrow DOWN once to "Self Diagnosis"
5)Press Enter or the button in the middle of the four arrow keys
6)Select Either "Picture Test" or "Sound Test"

The picture test displays two children on a beach surrounded by some beach toys, it displays very vibrant colors, blues, oranges, yellow as well as strong sunlight contrast
to check the black and white balance of the set. My test image appears incredible.

The sound test plays some type of theme song music that I personally find annoying yet it also provides very clear, stereo sound and does so at the volume level your set is
set to at the time of the test.

Unfortunately because the owners manual is so lacking it takes time to learn all the settings and adjust them appropriately. Yet once you have the picture quality of this television
rivals any 32" television I have ever seen, bar none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Samsung., April 17, 2011
Coming from an LNT4061, LNT4069, and, most recently, an LN40A650, I'd happy to say that this TV has yet to disappoint. The Samsung quality is all there and it feels considerably evolved from the previous generations I've owned. I'm using this as an office monitor and television - for both occasions, it's a terrific set. The colors are vivid, the sound is crisp, and I have yet to experience any issues with it. I'd also note that this television, while considered the entry level for 2011, is slightly thinner and substantially lighter than other 32" models within the Samsung product lineup and other companies' models within the same price range. There ARE thinner and lighter 32" TV's, but you'll spend an additional $150+ just for the size difference. This was a deciding factor in my case, since I wanted an easily wall-mounted TV without breaking the bank. I'd highly recommend this particular model for anyone looking for a bedroom/office television. It's just the right quality and size at just the right price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set, November 25, 2011
Krunk (N. Lauderdale, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Solid looking TV with wide, stable stand. Picture is great, but then most of the new sets look great as long as you're watching HD. For anyone who's still unaware, a standard resolution picture will actually look worse on your new HDTV than it did on you're old 4:3 tube set---just not enough signal information. I'm continually reading user reviews of flat panel TV's that knock the sound quality. Don't know what they're expectations are. I'm sure there are some tinny sounding sets out there, but I've had no problems with 3 name-brand TV's (LG, Sony, and this Samsung). And the sound on this model seems particularly good. Try out the different Sound Modes and make sure the SRS TruSound HD is turned ON, to get the stereo effect. There's even an equalizer. All the inputs you're likely to need. My one nitpicky criticism (which will not be a problem for most) is that the 2nd HDMI input is located on the side. I connected my DVD player there, and because of the height of an HDMI plug, the cable actually shows beyond the side of the bezel when viewing the set from the front (which is of course where you will be). I believe most people will find this to be a very satisfactory purchase---perfect size for a bedroom or small den.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, July 22, 2011
The USB port is a great feature. You can put 2 movies on a 2gb memory module. So far it plays every movie format I have tried. Amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value but Beware Power Bridge Users - Requires the UltraSlim, October 28, 2011
If you are using PowerBridge to hide cables, this requires the "Ultra Slim" version, even though this TV is not an ultra slim TV. It appears that Samsung has started using the flat plugs on more than just the LED ultra slim TVs.

Otherwise, this is a great TV for the price. I selected this size for use as a bedroom TV. The plug and play setup made it a snap to set up and configure everything and recognize all the channels. My favorite features are the USB port and the On/Off timer. I can use a USB flash drive and play popular PC movie formats (verified) including: AVI, WMV, MOV, MP4, among others. The interface to select, play media from USB is easy to use just like you were playing a DVD.

The On/Off timer is standard on all Samsung TVs. Great to use as an alarm clock.

Ordered this with Super Saver Shipping, and yet it was still delivered in only 3 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, July 29, 2011
Kathryn (Newington, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I needed a TV for my bedroom, and this is perfect!!! I did a lot of research as to which brand to buy, and Samsung was a top choice. I actually purchased three Samsungs at the same time for three different rooms, and love all of them!!! All were extremely easy to attach the base to, set up, and light enough for me to carry each by myself. Great choice!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, September 9, 2011
I purchased this TV fairly recently and it's fantastic. The picture quality is amazing. The audio quality is good especially compared to other LCD TV's. It's somewhat thin but clear. The design of the TV is very nice and classy. Has all the connections that you'll need for whatever device(s) you want to hook up.

Great value. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 32 LCD with cool USB connection, May 19, 2011
Simsio1 "hse7" (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this TV last week and this is my initial assessment.
Nice picture quality, design, sound not bad out of the box, good size for a bedroom, only 2 HDMI's and the features I Like the most is that I can play my Movies through the USB connection including avi's, no need to get a Blue ray with USB that can do that. The other feature is that is only connected to cable (Optimum online) with out a cable box and it gets a bunch of channel and many of them in HDTV.
The remote control itself is not bad better than some that I own but it can be better. I would like that the main buttons glow in the dark in fact not just for this remote but my other one's too.

I initially encountered the issue mention in the other reviews with installing the screws in the stand's mount, I switched to the other set (There are two sets of 4 screws) they never got 100% down but down enough to be stable and that seems to fixed the problem.

Pros:
Picture quality
Sound
USB (Play's movies)
Channels availability with out an actual cable box

Cons:
Remote control can be better.
Only 2 HDMI's.
Stand installation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the previous flat panel, July 12, 2011
I bought this to replace an LG flat panel.
The previous TV sound was terrible. This TV has a MUCH BETTER picture and the SOUND is far better than the old one.
The remote and controls are intuitive.
The clarity of the display is excellent.

I have a large screen SAMSUNG also. I will never again buy anything else but SAMSUNG.

ARRAY(0xa6ea53a8)