5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD AMAZING TELEVISION
This television is truly something to be admired. I'd say it's also a work of art.

Published on April 26, 2008 by mrmoskowitz1

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Known HDMI issue
I purchased the Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV on July 14, 2008. It's my 4th big screen HDTV purchase but my first 1080p box. Agree with other reviews in that it has an absolute beautiful picture at a very good price. There are many features I love about this TV, but here's the problem....

I purchased a Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player with an...
Published on July 23, 2008 by J. R. Wechezak

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD AMAZING TELEVISION, April 26, 2008
This review is from: Samsung LN40A550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model) (Electronics)

I have a high definition cable box with an HDMI cable to the TV and the HD channels are superb. I mean, the picture is totally 100% crystal clear. I have windows behind me and somehow there is virtually no glare. Yes, the TV looks better when it is dark outside versus light outside but it's perfectly great when it is light outside.

I'm writing this review on my couch. My laptop is connected to the TV via a VGA cable with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately my laptop does not have HDMI but I can see very well with the VGA cable. Needless to say, I am going to become much more lazy as a result of this TV.

The 40 inches is great for my viewing pleasure. I'm sure 46 is bigger but I am 100% content with 40 inches. It comes down to price. I did not want to pay more than $1,200 for a TV (that's $100 a month for 12 months using the Amazon Store Card). So this was a no-brainer for me.

If you are in the market for a TV, I highly suggest this one. It is truly a wonderful TV.

The "only" thing that isn't 100% perfect is the sound. The sound is good mind you, but it is not as perfect as the picture. But for the record, I have not played with the equalizer which people report helps the sound.

This is an amazing TV.

UPDATE 6/12/2008: This is still a remarkable television. I don't have any complaints about it at all. Even the sound is perfectly fine. However, you MUST either have a Blu Ray player or an Upconvert player with an HDMI cable to get the full benefit. Everything looks and sounds perfect on this TV.

UPDATE 7/13/2008: The TV is still perfect so just buy it already! I actually bought a 26" 3-series for my bedroom. I don't notice too much of a difference; I am happy with this "worse" TV as I am with my living room TV (this one). Samsung makes an excellent LCD television!

FINAL UPDATE 3/19/2009: Well I've had this TV about a year and I can honestly say it still is great. The sound is great, too. But... in retrospect, when it comes to TVs, bigger is better. A year ago this TV was $1,200 and I just paid it off this month. But if I could have gotten a 42" or a 46", then that would be better. Don't get me wrong, the 40" is great, but what's wrong with a few extra inches? Either way you can't go wrong with the LCD 5 Series from Samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Picture - Great Service, May 6, 2008
One of my biggest purchases with Amazon and it went as smooth as possible. The picture on this TV is amazing. FiOS HD can be almost too much pretty on one screen with this TV, it's a bit overwhelming at first. Standard def channels are of course a less clear but better than expected. The only issue I have with this TV is the length of time to power on and off. You also have to point the remote just right sometimes or the function won't register. Small issue though, hardly worth docking points off this unit.

The menu is wonderful and gives complete control over settings. Each input saves your settings too! The AVS Forums have a great thread concerning settings for each input that should be checked out and tested. A little tweaking got the black levels and skin tone just right.

I haven't tested the VGA input, but my Macbook Pro connected with a DVI-HDMI cable is amazing! My FiOS is connected via HDMI and as I mentioned, quite beautiful. I also have a Wii hooked up via component. The Wii maxes out at 480p but really shines on this TV despite the 1080p native res. Don't be fooled though, the picture is a little fuzzy but through some tweaking you can get a great picture without springing for a separate upconverter.

Shipping was of course through Eagle/CEVA. Make sure to call and verify they've got your info. They didn't have my phone number on record at first so I corrected that. My delivery man was Rick. He was great! He called to setup the appointment, was on time, very delicate with the unit, and very personable. I couldn't be more pleased.

UPDATE: Just wanted to mention the finish of the screen. Originally, I was debating between this model and the older lnt4069fx due to the matte screen. I chose this model for several reasons. First, it was cheaper. Second, I decided 120Hz wasn't worth the extra 400 bucks. Third, the screen isn't glossy but it isn't matte it's more of an in-between, satin-like finish that works great in my TV watching room that has a glass front door to the outside and 2 windows. Glare isn't a problem at all for me even with lamps behind me. It really is great. The ultra gloss on the 600 and 700 models are way to much for my multipurpose room. Hope that helps anyone on the fence that cares about gloss vs. matte finishes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Known HDMI issue, July 23, 2008

I purchased a Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player with an HDMI (version 1.3) cable. When i watch a DVD, i get a 'searching for signal' message that appears on the screen for about 5 seconds. This happens once every minute or two! I went into full troubleshooting mode by replacing the cable, the DVD player, and everything else i could think of. I tried the DVD player and HDMI cable with my other HDTV sets and it worked great. After calling Samsung technical support and getting to their level 2 support in New Jersey, they acknowledged there is a problem with the HDMI connection with the TV but they do not have a firmware fix for it yet. They suggested i wait for the firmware fix (release date unknown), or return the TV and try another one. I opted to exchange the TV for the same model. I received it today and (unfortunately) it has the same problem. I will now return the TV to Amazon, get a refund, and purchase a different model.

Bottom line, if you don't use or need the HDMI connection, you should be fine with this set. However, if you plan to use HDMI I'd look to a different model until this is fixed.

Update on July 28 - After further troubleshooting, the HDMI problem is with the combination of using a Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV with the Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player. Together, they do not work. Separately, the upconverting DVD player works perfectly with other TVs, and the Samsung LN40A550 works fine with another upconverting DVD. I purchased the same brand so i would eliminate this exact problem! Who would think that Samsung has not tested their own product compatibility before they go out the door? Exremely poor quality control - my guess is they have a problem with their 'anynet' software feature, but it still blanks-out with 'anynet' turned off. Purchase the Sony upconverting DVD player with this TV and you'll be OK. However, now I personally don't trust Samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung and Amazon.com Provided a Five Star Experience, September 9, 2008
I used a variety of sources to determine which 40" LCD Television would best meet our needs and our budget. Prior to the research, I was focused on an adequately satisfying viewing experience in a very reliable television. A previous purchase had not satisfied both goals. I had bought a "no-name" product for which no local service was available. When it failed (two years), I packaged and shipped the product to a repair facility where it was repaired well and with a reasonably short turnaround. Still, I didn't want that grief again.

Nor did I wish to gamble again on the offerings of the local Sam's Club shelves that appeared to be "earlier versions" in every case. I was going to indulge myself in a current model of a name brand television.

Consumer Reports gave its highest 40" LCD rating to the Samsung LN40A550, and the purchasers' ratings at Amazon.com and other Internet vendors were entirely positive. My son-in-law's experience with high dollar electronics buys from Amazon.com was the clencher in my decision to spend a thousand plus dollars over the Net. I'm glad I did. My cost savings over any local source (Best Buy, Sears, etc.) exceeded $250. My total cost with an HDMI cable was around $1140.

Just as promised in all the reviews, the LN40A550 was quick and simple to set up. The picture is razor sharp, and the colors are true to life. There is little or no need to make color or contrast corrections from channel to channel. Some of the reviewers had bashed the A550's sound system. I find it to be okay, but, if sound quality had been a very high priority, I heard sweeter sounds from a comparable (and pricier) Sony unit.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe my satisfaction with Amazon.com on this purchase. I paid no shipping or handling costs, and the TV was delivered to my living room in three days after my on-line order. The delivery was made by a well-groomed, articulate employee of a respected shipping firm. That employee unboxed and unwrapped the TV and even offered to haul away the box and shipping materials. I should have availed myself of that offer because Samsung currently is offering one year of in-home service on this model.

My wife and I have satisfactorily dealt with Amazon.com many times on little items. We have never been disappointed with their service. We are extremely pleased with this recent major purchase. I vouch that anyone who buys the Samsung LN40A550 from Amazon.com can look forward to an experience that is "all good."

Larry Epstein - Memphis,TN

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, Amazing Amazon Service, July 27, 2008
A few weeks ago I happened to get a new Wii for my son. Little did I know the saga that was about to ensue. While I was waiting for the new Wii to ship, I noticed my old 19 inch standard definition Magnavox tube TV would not have the right connections for the Wii. Realizing an opportunity had been presented to me, I quickly used the fact with my significant other as leverage to get a new HDTV for the entertainment/play room (we already have a older Samsung 30 inch CRT 1080i HDTV in the family room that we are happy with). I was given a budget and told to have at it.

Based on my prior good experience with the brand, I decided to focus on Samsungs. The pictures on all the TVs I looked at were very good (at least in the store). But since I am planning on getting a blu-ray when the prices come down, and I know I am the kind of person who will be bothered by the fact that I got the "lesser" resolution quality of the 720p (even if my eye could not tell the difference), I ruled out the 720p. That left my choice between the Samsung LN40A550 and the Samsung LN40A650. I have to admit it, the Samsung A650 was a pretty good looking TV. I also thought that the dejudder features and the 120hz would come in handy when I was watching sports and movies. That having been said, when I looked at the TVs in the stores side by side, the difference in picture quality on the 40LNA550 and 40LNA650, while slightly noticeable on fast moving action movie sequences, was not worth the $250 to $300 premium (at least to me).

Long story short, I got the LN40A550. Here is my quick summary now that I have had the TV for a few weeks.

AMAZON SERVICE -- Absolutely amazing. The TV was delivered to my house 4 days after I ordered it. A very courteous delivery driver brought the TV to our second floor entertainment room, unboxed it and placed it on our TV stand. The TV worked right out of the box. The price has also dropped by at least $100 since I ordered it, and when I asked Amazon to be credited for the price drop, they credited my account within less than a day. I would absolutely not hesitate to order big items from Amazon in the future.

THE TV -- Great picture (even on sporting events and DVD movies). The sound on the built in speakers is ok, but not great. I do notice a little bit of judder on fast moving panning sequences, but it does not really bother the flow of the scene I am watching. For the price I paid, I am very, very happy with this TV. Now, Time Warner cable on the other hand . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV...but removing the stand is a nightmare!, June 8, 2008
As another reviewer mentioned (and I didn't take it to heart), if you looking to remove the stand from this TV so that you can wall mount...well, the Samsung technicians must be a group of sadists. It took three of us over an hour to remove the four screws. If you need to remove, make certain you first have a phillips screwdriver with A MAGNETIC HEAD or else you'll be swearing like a longshoreman!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tv for the price, June 16, 2008
Hello,

I have had my tv since April 25, 2008, and thought is was time to give some input that should be helpful for anyone looking to buy. I am very happy with it and would highly recomend it. Simply, it is the best price vs quality on the market. I use it for Fios HD, PS3 gaming and blu-rays.

First, I bought it online from Amazon when it was at its lowest price (much cheaper than BB or CC with sales or coupons). It was delivered within 5 minutes of when CEVA told me they would be there. The driver brought it in, we opened it up and set it up. Looked good, then signed for it and he was off. CEVA is supposed to help set it up (Amazon white glove service). Remember, never sign for anything until after you see it!!

After about a week I noticed (on solid color scenes) that the screen was ununiform. One area from top to bottom about 3 inches wide was much lighter that the rest of the screen. I had Samsung service come out and they told me "I have never seen anything like this before." Samsung told be they would need to replace the panel (not the tv). I did not want a "rebuilt" tv after just getting it, so I called Amazon. Amazon was happy to send me a replacement and CEVA delivered it and picked up the old set. The new set has no problems.

I decided on the 550 because I do not feel the 120hz 650 model is worth the extra $500. Also, the room is very bright during the day and I did not want the glare that the 650 would give. However, if I had a dark room and the extra cash, I would have picked the 650 for the much higher contrast ratio and the option to use the 120hz.

My setup is a 40A550, PS3, Fios HD, my laptop, and an Onkyo TX-SR506 with Infinity speakers for surround sound. The Fios and the PS3 are connected to the tv using [...] HDMI cables and optical cables (for surround sound) run to the Onkyo from the PS3 and FIOS. I tweaked the settings on the tv using combinations of some posts of I found online and what i felt looked natural.

The speakers on the tv are just ok, but what I would expect from a flat tv. I generally use the Onkyo for surround sound.

If I would rate this tv, I would give it 4 stars out of 5 stars because of its poor PIP setup. The PIP will only work with analog through the RF connection. The channel cannot be changed without going into the menu screen. And since analog is going to be turned off by Feb. 09, is will be useless unless you buy a digital to analog converter box. So, I got a digital converter box and use that remote to change the PIP. What a short sighted design flaw on an otherwise good tv.

Also, Fios in my area of NJ has turned off analog now to make room for more HD, and is planning a major expansion of its HD channels soon. I have about 30 now (plus PPV and on demand) with promises of 150 HD channels by the end of the year. If you can get FIOS, I highly recommend it. The picture quality is amazing and the internet is super fast. Even the regular tvs look much much better.

Remember the picture on any tv is only as good as its source.

Samsung LN40A550 40-inch 1080p LCD HDTV

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEPTIONAL LCD. AMAZING CLARITY AND SUPERB DEFINITION, May 23, 2008
Lordhalo "LordHalo" (Chicagoland, Illinois) - See all my reviews
After owning this HDTV for a month now, I'm a very happy customer. Amazon offers the best price and was able to get $58 in refunds for the 30-day policy. Shipping took 4 days and CEVA did great although since I can't wait, I'm the one who went to the local CEVA warehouse on a Sunday to pick it up.

Out of the box, picture is amazing and sharp. Tweaking it will give you more satisfaction. Joining avsforums is very helpful. Sound is not that great but I tweaked it as well to my liking. NO dead pixels, NO banding, NO flashlight effect, NO problems. After owning a 30" Samsung Dynaflat HDTV, I am more than happy to upgrade. Like I said, this TV offers a sharp picture and image detail is outstanding. Comcast HD looks spectacular especially SciFi HD, Food Network HD and MHD. I love this HDTV and I will be enjoying it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome picture quality and great price for a 2008 model, May 3, 2008
I first checked all the HDTVs at a local Best Buy store and I will admit they all looked nice to me. My decision to buy this TV from Amazon.com was influenced by these factors: Samsung brand, 2008 model, great price, no tax, and free white glove shipping.

I have connected my TV to Comcast HD set-top box using HDMI cables. The picture quality on HD channels is stunning and very good on non-HD channels too. Initially I had some apprehensions that perhaps 40" wasn't big enough, but after watching all those vivid, sharp images of people and things up close it doesn't feel small at all! Earlier I had used "component" cables for video connection but HDMI is clearly better. DVDs also look nice. For audio I have a premium audio home theater system (Bose) so I have turned the TV volume to OFF.

My only complaint against this TV is with the extreme difficulty I had in taking off the stand that came with it. The screws at the back somehow got "stuck" and wouldn't come off readily. Samsung customer service representative on the phone didn't have any constructive advice to offer either. I had to tilt the TV, screw back and unscrew several times before the screws came off one by one. In such a high-tech TV they didn't get this simple mechanical thing right. Now I have the TV mounted to a floor mount-stand (Bello) and am loving it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing LCD HDTV, April 25, 2008
I am a value oriented buyer, so a 1080P Samsung 40" LCD HDTV for $1179 was a pretty good deal. Best Buy, Circuit City and Fry's price was about $1599 to $1699. There was no tax to pay and Amazon offered free white glove delivery. What could be better than that. It took about a week for the TV to arrive. The freight company called to set up a delivery appointment. They showed up, carried the box inside, installed the TV, did the basic set up (connect the HD antenna, the DVD player, scan the HD channels), asked me to inspect the TV and then I signed to accept the delivery. Can't get that kind of service with BB or CC.

Now to the HDTV. I use the default settings. HD channels are crystal clear, it's a pleasure to watch the news and the Lakers games. With a dynamic contrast ratio of 30000:1, the picture is bright. I connect my up converting DVD player, pop in the movie CARS and my son couldn't take his eyes of the screen. I am sure a blu-ray DVD player will give a perfect picture but at $400 I think it is still too expensive.

So far the Samsung LN40A550 is excellent.

Samsung LN40A550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model)
Used & New from: $250.00