5.0 out of 5 stars Reset issue fixed with a simple firmware update
First of all, Amazon's white glove delivery service was great. I was a little hesitant about buying a TV of this size online but now that I've gone through the process I would do it again in a heart beat.

Published on April 15, 2008 by F. Ramirez

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a warning
Published on August 30, 2008 by B. M

5.0 out of 5 stars Reset issue fixed with a simple firmware update, April 15, 2008
This review is from: Samsung LN40A650 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with RED Touch of Color (Electronics)

For those of you who have been following the news on the A650s, the reset issue has been fixed with the latest firmware. Chances are you will have to upgrade the firmware yourself when the TV arrives but it is pretty simple procedure using a USB thumb drive and Samsung provides step by step instructions with photos if you need them.

I've had my TV for about four days now and I'm still completely blown away by clarity, detail and colors this set produces. The LN40A650 has three HDMI inputs on the back, and one HDMI input on left side which made my devices incredibly easy to hook up. I then watched Ratatouille followed by Apocalypto, both on Blu-ray - great movies to show off your new set.

The 40" is the only model in the 6 series that has a fan built into the screen. Some people may be put off because of this but the good news is that this fan is completely inaudible. This weekend we had 90 degree Santa Ana winds here in California and even with out any air conditioning, I still couldn't hear the fan.

When I first saw the Touch of Color online I was indifferent. I don't really care for the color red but now that I have the set, it's slowly growing on me. All of the stock Samsung photos show a vibrant red but with my 40A650 in the living room it has the perfect amount of color. It's not strong enough to steal my focus away while watching TV but at the same time it looks great when the TV is shut off. I believe the rest of the colors have been announced so if red isn't your thing then it's just a matter of time.

The glossy piano black of the A650s does cause reflections at times but I don't consider it to be a deal breaker. It's easier to notice the reflections during the day but I still experimented with light placement so that lamp reflections were not visible at night. Most of the time I only notice the reflections when I'm actively looking for them and it has never interfered with my viewing experience but it's something to consider.

While you're not going to get any realistic surround sound out of the built in speakers, they do come with a little power if needed. I'll be upgrading to a 5.1 system pretty soon and the built in speakers are more than enough to hold me over. If you're not planning on using anything but the built in speakers then the 7 series television might interest you with it's built in subwoofer.

[...]

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the LN40A650 and my purchase experience through Amazon

QUICK UPDATE: September 30th 2008. No problems to report. It has now been 5 1/2 months and I still love this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this tv!, May 17, 2008
I did a lot of research before deciding on this Samsung. I wanted 1080p with Auto Motion Plus 120Hz, and I wanted at least a 40 inch screen. After spending about 30 or 40 hours comparing this model with comparable models, I bought this on Amazon and I have been absolutely thrilled! The picture was beautiful right out of the box, and the HD signals from my DirecTV satellite are transformed into the clearest, sharpest images I have ever seen on a television. We can't wait for the prices on Blu Ray players to drop so that we can start watching all our movies in high definition! The sound from the speakers is fine, but you will need external speakers and a receiver (or an HTIB) to get the best audio experience. For people who have lots of A/V sources, this tv has four HDMI inputs, so you aren't going to run out of inputs anytime soon. In fact, I only use one HDMI cable from my Yamaha RX-V663BL 665 Watt 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver.
The "Touch of Color" feature wasn't a factor in my purchase, but it looks terrific in our living room and matches our color scheme very nicely. I was a bit wary about buying a television online, but Amazon made the transaction super smooth - delivery was super fast and FREE. Overall, I felt this model offered terrific value and performance, and I have been completely satisfied. If you are viewing from a distance of 10 feet or more, get the 46 inch or larger.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the TV you've been waiting for, April 22, 2008
Elwhite1 (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
After months of researching all the different LCDs out there, this TV beats the hands down. At first I had ordered the 4071 from Amazon, then 2 days later after it was too late to cancel I saw this TV which has twice the contrast ration and half the responce time for only $50 dollars more than what I paid for the 4071. The CEVA shipping was excellent, the TV arrived a week sooner than estimated.

Pros: Excellent unbelievable picture that you have to see to believe. I watched 300 and Troy on Blu-ray through my PS3 and it was amazing. It's like looking out your window and watching an epic battle. The 120hz really brings out the full potential of the movies. The 120hz also is great for gaming. While playing Oblivion it definitly adds smoothness to the environment and the movement of characters. The differemce it completely night and day. The Touch of Color is pretty cool it's very subtle where it gives a nice accent without being too over powering. I was almost worried I wouldn't be able to see it, whenever I would go to Circuit City or Best Buy I could never see it. I have the TV placed in my bedroom with a cielling light and a window across from the TV and have experienced no ploblems with glare.

Cons: It's a dust magnet I'v had it less than I week and it's already getting a thin layer of dust on it. The remote is ok, they could've done w/o the rotating directional control.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a high quality tv at a reasonalbe price look no further than this. Believe me I've looked. Don't kop out and sell yourself short and just get any TV. Save and invest the extra money into getting a top of the line TV without a top of the line price. I guarantee you once you've seen this picture you won't be sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a warning, August 30, 2008
B. M (CT, United States) - See all my reviews
Just a little warning about their warranty policy. Samsung doesn't replace broken TVs even if they are brand new. I bought this TV and within 1 day there was vertical lines showing up. Within 1 week there were several different color lines. Samsung contacted a local TV repair to fix it and I was not impressed with the repair shop. They wanted to order a new LCD panel to replace it which would take 2 weeks just to come in. I was already out the TV 2 weeks. I said forget it and return it back to me so I can just return it back to amazon within the 30day return policy. I do not want a brand new TV that has been taken a part and possibly fixed correctly.

The TV is very nice, obviously I got a lemon. I will probably just buy the same model again. I do not like the 120hz option. It makes the scenes look awkward and not natural. So I just turned it off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful picture quality and amazing features with very minor annoyances, May 19, 2008
Pros: Amazing picture quality. Great connectivity options and features.

Cons: Click wheel remote is inaccurate. CEVA shipping will cause you headaches if you live in the metropolitan New York area. Auto motion plus will cause stuttering on medium to high setting.

The Samsung 40a650 is the best LCD on the market right now. The picture quality is fantastic and the connectivity and features are plentiful. The touch of red outlining the frame is very subtle and does not distract from viewing whatsoever.
There are a few minor issues, but nothing to deter from a purchase. First, the click wheel remote is inaccurate and has slow response. The menu system however, is fairly easy to navigate and features large readable text.
The shipping from CEVA is horrible. Expect more than your fair share of headaches. They changed my delivery time without consulting me and then showed up when I was at work. I re-scheduled and they dropped my TV off at the curb and I had to bring it up my driveway myself. They then asked me to sign a form that said they were willing to set up the TV wherever I asked them too. I live in Long Island, NY so experiences will vary depending on your location. On a related note, Amazon can be difficult to deal with as well. They outsource a great deal of their customer service to India and there is definitely difficulty in communication. I needed to change my shipping address and they were uncooperative and offered little to no solution to the problem.
I am an avid gamer and the Xbox 360 looks amazing. Games look sharp and detailed. The brightness of the LCD screen really helps when playing darker games like Bioshock. The flowing water was smooth thanks to the auto motion plus (low) and the game mode created a very believable surround sound effect.
Lastly, the auto motion plus is improved, but not perfected. On low is provides a nice smoothing effect that lessens blur and judder. This is especially evident in camera pans and credits. It makes motion in games much smoother as well. The downside is that stuttering will occur on medium and especially on high. Be warned if the 120 Hz feature is a must have for you. I figured since this feature can be turned off, it's like having any other LCD, but with arguably the most stunning picture quality to date. It's nice to know that the feature is there when you need it.
Overall, this is a great HD television with forgivable imperfections. At the current price point, it's a steal. I recommend purchasing an extended warranty as Samsung has an unfortunate history with some of their LCD panels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful experience, June 14, 2008
I've wanted to wait a few weeks to review(Don't want to jinx anything!)
Basically, want to focus on 2 things, the TV itself, and the delivery.
First, the TV:
It's great, simple as that. The picture is everything an HDTV should deliver. I am hooked up via Directv HD receiver and a regular DVD player for now. I actually bought a Samsung 1400 at the same time, but it's hooked up to my Runco 60" plasma in the family room. The picture is fantastic and I have no doubt that with Blu Ray, it'll knock my socks off.
Although I think the majority of reviews have been very good, there seem to be a few complaints scattered about. I think with virtually any TV, there probably is the occasional one that might be a bad one, but so far, it's great, none of the issues with firmware, blurring, etc. If you want technical- there are plenty of sights for that.
What I would highly recommend, is checking it out at somewhere like Bestbuy. The set that was my other choice was the Sony XBR. Pictures were very close, I'd be happy with either. The decider was $500+ less for the Samsung. One other thing- the Sony is much heavier. In my younger days, I kind of assumed that heavier=better. Whether it's true or not, I definitey appreciate the greater ease manipulating the TV now being lighter

Now, the DELIVERY:
There are a few rather worrisome stories in the reviews, but mine was nothing less than fantastic! First, It was scheduled for "estimated" delivery June 9th. There was no rush for me so even a little late would have been fine. Well, I got a call May 30th to see if they could deliver it later that day. As much as I'd have liked to have had it, I couldn't be home, so I asked to reschedule. The man was very nice, said no problem and set it up for the following Tuesday, between 1 and 4. I called that day to dispatch and they confirm.
The delivery man was on time, unloaded the TV and brought it in. I helped get it out of the box which was a piece of cake(remember the relative lack of weight). He then helped me move my old TV, about a 150# Sony tube set and then set the new TV up. I connected the HDMI cable in about 20 seconds. Turned it on and I was good to go. He waited to make sure it was working, did the paperwork and that was it! He asked if I wanted him to take out the box, but I figured I'd keep it for a while, just to be sure.

By the way, the stand is already connected in the box. I was planning on hanging it on the wall eventually, but it frankly looks fine the way it is with the stand.

The remote is a little different then I'm used to, but the backlight function is kind of cool

Anyway, I'm now a couple weeks in and still happy. I could have spent more at Bestbuy, etc. but the delivery would not have been any better, except they'd have charged. Look, I'm sure, like me, a lot of people are a little anxious about buying something like this online. Don't be. Wait for what you like, wait for a good deal, free shipping, etc. and don't let the occasional story make you go out and spend more money.

I'm waiting for the newer Blu rays to come out to get a new one to pair with it.

Hope this soothes some worry people might have; I don't write a lot of reviews, but this one needed to be done

Happy TV!

PS---if you're as happy with your delivery as I was, please TIP the guy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the money, May 8, 2008
DKLA (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I struggled with TV options for almost 6 months - was ready to buy another set however when I went to purchase this model had just been launched and I was torn (it's a more expensive model, but was it a worthwhile investment?). A friend recommended I go to Best Buy and compare all the models I was considering - this one blew all the others away - including Sony! (though the Best Buy on 23rd in Manhattan did not have the Sony XBR model so I couldn't compare that). I still haven't used all the settings but the HD quality is incredible from the cable - haven't even tried blue ray yet but saw that in the store and it was pretty amazing as well.

Gripes: the glossy finish will show how much dust gathers in a very short period of time...if you're a neat freak you will find yourself wiping it off constantly. But it looks great otherwise.

Touch of Red: I was actually turned off by this but was pleasantly surprised at its subtlety in my living room.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent TV at an affordable cost!, May 2, 2008
Pros: Perfect picture, 120 HZ is great. affordable
Cons: Body can be scratched with little effort, recent price drop by amazon looks suspicious.

After looking at a number of TVs for 3 months, i succeeded in narrowing down to a couple of models from Sony and Samsung. I compared this model with Sony XBR5 side by side, it was easy to see the difference in quality between the two. A650 showed black, blacker and white whiter, and the contrast was amazing. At $1800, (vs 2300 from fry's at that time) it seemed a great bargain to buy this tv from amazon.

The delivery was awesome, i got the TV 5 days in advance and in perfect condition. I would never again hesitate to buy such a priced item from amazon.

My old 720P Samsung went into the bedroom. I watched a few movies on my new TV both in standard and high definition and the difference from my old TV was remarkable. The 120Hz enabled smoother motion and i was amazed by the fast moving images. I did not have any problems with glare reflecting from the TV and i personally think that contrast is much better than a matte.

The only downside to it is that it can easily be scratched. I tried to clean a side with Bounty napkin, and it left a scratch on it. Luckily i was able to stop early.
(...)

All in All, if you are looking for the best picture on a 40 inch screen, this would be the perfect choice for movies, sports and video games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Picture Quality, June 4, 2008
I've had my LN40A650 for a week now, and I am very happy with this TV. My 1080i Dish TV HD service looks great, and I've got this unit paired with a Sony Playstation 3 for Blu-Ray DVD playback, and it is absolutely awesome seeing films in 1080P.

The 120 Hz feature makes a difference, and in the first week of watching I've had it on and left it on (set to "Medium") for the entire time. I like the smoothing effect it has, and I rarely I see an objectionable artifact, but by the time you reach for the remote it's likely to have passed. I have not watched any sports yet, and that's the true test of a feature like 120 Hz.

As other reviewers have noted, the remote is a bit frustrating -- the iPod-like "wheel" really does takes some getting used to, but I picked up a Harmony 550 universal remote and it's now the remote I reach for first. I've seen the Harmony 550 as low as $50 on Amazon.

I highly recommend connecting to your video sources via HDMI cables wherever you can, and from what I've read monoprice dot com offers the best quality cables at reasonable prices. I looked at the cheapo cables available here on Amazon, but ended up buying expensive Belkin HDMI cables instead. The cables work just fine, but the reviews I've read on monoprice's cables have all been positive, and they are much cheaper.

The 'Ultra Clear Panel' means that the screen has a clear rather than matte finish. My TV is in a room with lots of windows and a large white paper lamp shade -- probably the worst-case scenario for a glossy, reflective TV screen -- and I still would not trade down to a matte screen. The clear screen gives you such a stunning picture, people are amazed and comment on how "lifelike" the actors look. I should note that my girlfriend is a little disappointed in the high quality only because Johnny Depp looks "less dreamy" in high def... oh well. That's the only complaint I've heard - that the high def does show every wrinkle and blemish...

The TV looks great right out of the box, and while you are offered lots of ways to tweak and adjust the picture, chances are you will be happy with just leaving it alone as well. I do recommend running with the 120 Hz feature on, and also setting the panel to "just scan" mode. These are one-time settings which I suspect I will leave on at all times. The only other adjustment you might want to make is that the picture is really bright and sharp, a bit too bright in a darkened room, and you might prefer switching the TV to "movie" instead of "standard" when viewing in a darked room. The "movie" mode is a bit too dark in a brightly lit room for my tastes, so I do find that I'm switching back and forth once a day.

The "Touch of Color" is quite subtle, and not a detriment in my view, and I run the sound through an external AV Receiver and 6.1 speaker setup, so I can't speak to the sound quality of the TV.

Overall, I'm extremely happy. Shipping took 7 days total which included a three-day Memorial Day weekend, and the set-up guy was courteous and careful.

I looked at a lot of TVs over a 6 month period before settling on this one, and have no regrets. It's a great looking TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HD TV . . . unless you have FIOS, July 13, 2008
This is an excellent LCD TV that delivers a truly great picture (with a bit of calibration from the factory settings). There are lots of A?V connections and plenty of picture settings to help customize the TV to just the way you like it. Be aware that the screen is reflective when it is placed opposite windows (like a lot of TVs). The "touch of red" (around the frame of the set) doesn't bother me, but it may not be for everyone's taste. The side-to-side viewing angle also seems to be very good for an LCD. The scroll wheel on the remote needs work (way too sensitive), but you do get used to its quirkiness after a while.

My main issue with this TV is that it doesn't seem to play well with the HD set top box from Verizon FIOS. I upgraded my standard definition FIOS set top box to an HD box about 10 days after I received this TV. After connecting the TV with the HD box via HDMI, I began experiencing problems with the HD box spontaneously shutting off by itself about once or twice a day. To reboot the system, I had to disconnect and reconnect the power cord. After about 2-3 weeks of trying to troubleshoot this issue with Verizon tech support, one of the techs finally asked me what kind of TV I had connected to the HD box. When I identified the Samsung model, the tech said that Verizon had received a lot of calls about this problem from Samsung LCD owners. She suggested trying to use component cables (instead of HDMI) to connect to the HD box as a fix, but she also said that Verizon was waiting for Samsung to issue a firmware fix for this problem. I did try using component cables to connect to the HD box for about two more weeks, but the HD box still kept shutting off by itself, so I have decided to downgrade back to an SD box. I even experienced the problem using a coaxial cable connection (though less frequently).

What's more, when I contacted Samsung customer service to ask about this problem, the Samsung rep told me that Samsung had also received other calls from FIOS customers about the issue. However, she claimed that the problem was with the FIOS HD box, and not with the TV, and that it was the set top box maker (Motorola) that needed to upgrade its firmware and not Samsung. Needless to say, at this point, I don't know which company (Verzion, Samsung or Motorola) needs to address this issue, but I hope someone does soon.

I don't know for a fact if other FIOS customers are having this problem, but unfortunately, it's been disappointing for me not to get to experience the full HD picture capability that this TV has to offer. And it's too late for me to return or exchange this TV. I really do enjoy this television, but if you're on FIOS and you really want the full HD experience right now, you may want to consider other makes and/or models.