Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on August 5, 2009
I waited a few months after purchasing this tv, before attempting a review.

MY experiences/opinions are (scale of 1-10, 10 being the best):

Handling, ability to move to desired location: 10 ... light, easy for 1 person to move,maneuver, install on stand

Easiness to initially setup/get useful asap: 10 ... You really do NOT need the directions, but they are excellent

Connections amount,availability, setup: 10 ... I have cable, a PS3, and Xbox360, dvd ... too easy if you ask
me !

Viewing: 9 ... great from even extreme angles. Adjustments in the menu DO fine tune your individual needs.
: the 1080P shines in action movies, sports, and especially video games ... resolution is phenomenal !
: I've experienced NO bleeding of colors or blurriness in high speed transitions

Audio: 7 ... OK at best, but I bought it for its viewing capabilities, NOT expecting a 'Bose' audio capacity.
One of its menu items allows you to keep advertising volumes the same as network broadcast volumes...
Mine does NOT function that way... commercials still too loud

I have it (easily connected to) enhanced by my stereo system, so this is a wash as far as I am concerned
when wanting to listen to a Nascar race, music concert, or other venue.

Price: I did a LOT of homework, and found the price very acceptable in comparison to other tv's boasting
similar if not identical capabilities... I bought mine on sale at Best Buy, but lucked into a good price

Green : Not much heat coming out of the uppermost exhaust vents

My end result: A great buy.

YES, a thumbs "UP" !

After owning a SONY HD tv, and experienced their lack of customer attention/satisfaction... a
lack of callback on their part force me to forever part with them as a trusted manufacturer.
In my opinion, their (SONY) trusted name is forever trashed/overpriced... if they will not
service what they sell... I want no part of them !
on April 11, 2009
I'm watching baseball on the LN40B530 as I write this, and am blown away by the crisp picture and wonderful colors. The sound is fine as far as my family is concerned. I did make some adjustments to the equalizer, which improved how it sounded right out of the box. I walked past the "tv wall" at a local Best Buy, and to me this TV looked as good as the ones in the $2,000-and-up range. As far as its being "only" 60hz, it looked better than some of the 120hz ones. Maybe if you're a heavy gamer that's an important consideration, but nobody here is. Our previous TV was a Hitachi plasma EDTV that we thought was great, but this is a big improvement. Can't wait to see a blue-ray disc on it. I wonder if the previous reviewer had a defective one. None of their complaints are true of this unit at all.
on March 31, 2009
I this is my 2nd LCD and the picture quality is amazing! With 60,000:1 contrast ratio, the colors just POP and make everything look realistic. Standard definition picture quality is good(i.e. standard cable), but HD quality is amazing. My last set was a philips and the colors on people's faces didn't quite look realistic but this samsung, everything looks realistic. The picture settings out of the box are pretty good but with a little adjustment(you can find calibration settings online) the PQ is amazing. The only compliant I have with this TV is the sound which is more than acceptable though.
on March 20, 2009
I just purchased a Samsung flat sccreen 1080 model LN40B530 40" this set is an excellent buy for its price range. i am happy with its picture and sound. I have it connected to and old Kenwood surround system and it made it this old system sound like it was new.
on June 1, 2009
Needed a good 1080p LCD without breaking the bank and this one fit the bill...PC powerpoints, Sony PS3 and Blu-Ray discs all look great, and the brightness is good for daytime use in well lit rooms. I like it!
on April 17, 2009
This is the first lcd tv I have ever owned. When I first bought it I was worried about how I would like it after reading some other complaints. I have owned many tv's and compared to them I can't find anything to say bad about it. I love the picture, sound, and the controls. I might buy another one for another room.
on September 14, 2009
First I want to say how impressed I am with Crutchfield. When I purchased this unit through Amazon I really didn't pay much attention to who the actual seller was since it received the standard free shipping. I purchased this on a Saturday morning. With in 2 hours I received a phone call from Crutchfield thanking me for my purchase and explaining how the unit would be shipped, etc. I was very impressed with this and would absolutely purchase from Crutchfield in the future.

As for the Samsung - The picture is great with HD. I got it primarily for sports and the HD channels look great. Some of the standard def channels are not so spectacular but I don't necessarily think that is a fault of the Samsung, I think it is more a Directv issue. I have an issue giving anything 5 stars but if you are looking for an LCD in this size range you should take a look at this one.
on September 13, 2009
This is a great TV. The only thing that I found disappointing is the particular model I purchased did not come with the side inputs for hooking up my digital camera or camcorder etc. Getting to the back of the TV is an inconvenience and it also results in less input options.
It's my first flat screen so I wasn't aware that this would be an issue.
on April 20, 2010
TV was purchased less than 6 months ago. Was a "secondary" TV and was probably used a total of less than 50-75 hours. Yesterday morning started smelling a nasty electrical fire kind of a smell. TV was still working while I ran around trying to figure out where the smell was originating. In those few minutes the whole house got filled with this nasty smoke. Figured out it was the TV and unplugged it. Plugged the TV in again just to check in the evening. Great sound, no picture, still stinks. Anybody need a stinky 40' flat screen RADIO?
on November 7, 2009
i just replaced a new 32" samsung with this 40" model, wanted the larger screen size.
the picture is excellent (with a little tweaking); clear, sharp, bright.
my only regret...this model (unlike the 32") has no headphone out, so i can not use my powered speakers AND control volume/muting.
the internal speakers are, as usual, the weak link (again, made better with some serious tweaking).

price just went up on this, but worth it. the only gain in the next model up (the 550) is a slighter better contrast ratio, more inputs/outputs, and a red color on the bezel.

if you want a reasonably-priced 40" with a great picture, this is it...