- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Samsung LN40B650 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color
- 40-inch LCD HDTV with full HD 1080p resolution for the sharpest picture possible and red Touch of Color design
- Auto Motion Plus 120Hz for amazingly fluid motion, 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Side-mounted USB port for displaying JPEG/MPEG files and listening to MP3 audio
- Inputs- 4 HDMI-CEC, 2 component, 2 composite, 1 PC, 2 USB, 1 Ethernet, 1 optical digital audio output
- Includes removable stand- measures 39.2 x 27.8 x 10 inches with stand, 15-watt x 2 bottom mounted speakers with subwoofer
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
- Brand Name: Samsung
- Model Number: LN40B650
- Display Technology: LCD
- Display Size: 40 inches
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Read about our customers' top-rated TVs on our reviews pages: TV Reviews, 4K TV Reviews, LED TV Reviews, Plasma TV Reviews, and Smart TV Reviews. Shop our popular TV brands: LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and VIZIO.
From the Manufacturer
With the Samsung 40-inch LN40B650 HDTV, you're investing in ahigh-quality LCD TV that offers top-of-the-line picture quality with 1080p high definition resolution. Enjoy the sharpest details and vivid color with a 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for more realistic images and Samsung's Wide Color Enhancer 3 technology for a more natural rendering of colors. It also incorporates a number of innovative features to reduce the motion blur and image judder, which traditionally plague LCD HDTVs when displaying fast movement. This B650 series HDTV combines an ultra-fast 4ms (millisecond) response time with Samsung's Auto Motion Plus frame interpolation technology, which utilizes a 120Hz refresh rate helps ensure crisp, easy viewing of sports, video games and movies.
The stylish Samsung LN40B650 1080p HDTV with innovative Touch of Color design.
You get superb connectivity and networking with 2 USB ports--for playing MP3 audio and displaying JPEG/MPEG files--and four HDMI 1.3 ports, and it also bumps up the sound with 15-watt bottom stereo speaker and an integrated subwoofer. This HDTV is accented by Samsung's TOC (Touch of Color) bezel design, which offers a hint of red translucent color around the edges of the unit for a uniquely fashionable look. Plus, it's Energy Star compliant, which helps you be green while saving on your electric bill.
In addition to this 40-inch model, the Samsung B650 series also includes the 1080p 32-inch LN32B650, 37-inch LN37B650, 46-inch LN46B650, and 55-inch LN55B650 as well as the 720p 19-inch LN19B650 and 22-inch LN22B650. (Learn more about what size TV should you get.)
- Screen Size: 40 inches
- Full 1080p HD (Learn more)
- Blazing fast 4ms response time minimizes blurring of fast motion in sports programs. (Learn more)
- HD-Grade 1920 (H) x 1080 (V) pixel resolution: High-resolution pixel density is combined with a built-in image scaler to handle inputs from a variety of digital and analog audio/video sources.
- Built-in digital tuner: No external box needed
- Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: Advanced processing that reduces blur and enhances image detail when viewing fast motion video sequences. (Learn more)
- Ultra Clear Panel: Advanced LCD technology lets you enjoy crisp image details, natural skin tones, excellent shadow detail, and vibrant colors.
- Picture-in-Picture (PIP) enables convenient, simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC content sources.
- Game Mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games. Picture and sound quality optimized for the special needs of gaming systems at the touch of a button.
- Side-mounted USB 2.0 port: Connect USB devices directly to your HDTV to view JPEG photos or MPEG movies or easily listen to your MP3 player through your HDTV's audio system or your home theater system.
- Touch of Color (ToC): Samsung's unique manufacturing process accents the surrounding bezel with a stylish red tone. (Learn more)
- Wide Color Enhancer 3 optimizes a given color's hue, resulting in more natural rendering of colors. (Learn more)
- Audio: Two 15-watt stereo speakers (for 30 watts of total power) plus integrated subwoofer for rumbling bass.
- SRS TruSurround HD creates an immersive, feature-rich surround sound experience from two speakers, complete with rich bass, high frequency detail and clear dialog.
- DLNA-Compatible for better interopability with electronics, computers and mobile devices from many different manufacturers (Learn more)
- Content Library (2 GB Flash Memory): Built-in library contains photo art gallery, games, workout routines, recipes, and other interesting digital content. Additional items and updates are available from Samsung.com.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) allows the TV's remote control to operate at the push of one button, peripheral AV devices such as a DVD player featuring HDMI-CEC.
- Variable sleep timer can be programmed to turn the TV off at different time intervals.
- Trilingual on-screen displays in English, Spanish or French.
- Energy Star Compliant: Reduces energy consumption by up to 25 percent compared with standard TVs.
- Swivel stand included.
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor with in-home service, backed by Samsung toll-free support
- Medi@2.0 lets you enjoy more with Internet TV, allowing you to receive content via Yahoo!, Flickr, and more via on-screen TV widgets. (Learn more)
A wide variety of multimedia devices can be connected to the set through any one of the four HDMI 1.3 inputs (including one on the side), and the handy Anynet+ feature (HDMI-CEC) lets you control all your CEC-enabled peripherals--such as a DVD or Blu-ray player--using just one remote. Connect HD digital devices like disc players, game consoles, and satellite dish components into the two rear connections and use the side-mounted input for cameras, camcorders, and laptops. HDMI is the best performing interface for displaying an HD source on an HDTV.
- HDMI (version 1.3): 4
- Component: 2 rear
- Composite A/V: 1 rear/1 side (shared with component)
- USB 2.0: 2
- PC input (15-pin, D-Sub): 1
- Ethernet: 1
- RS232C: 1
- Digital audio output: 1 optical
- TV without stand: 39.2 x 25.6 x 3.1 inches (WxHxD); 32.6 pounds
- TV with stand: 39.2 x 27.8 x 10 inches (WxHxD); 41.2 pounds
- What size TV should you get?
- 2010 LinkStick: Connect wirelessly to a world of digital content from Samsung. The LinkStick wireless LAN adaptor eliminates the hassle and cluttered look of wires. Learn more about the Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter.
|Full HD, or 1080p, contains 1.5 times more scanning lines than conventional HD TVs. More scanning lines mean more pixels, more details and a better picture. The new Samsung LCD TV with resolution that is approximately 2 times greater than conventional HDTVs, creating the most perfect picture imaginable. Samsung's 1080p panel uses a new high-speed liquid crystal to cut response time to 6ms (milliseconds). |
|This technology doubles the frame rate from 60 to 120 frames per second (120Hz LCD panel) without repeating the same image to make more frames. Instead, the TV intelligently calculates the ‘middle' image between frame A and frame B and inserts it in between (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz processor), making a fluid transition from one frame to the next. |
|The NTSC (National Television Systems Committee) has established the color standards all TVs in America try to meet. And typical LCD TVs only meet about 72 percent of this standard. Samsung LCD HDTVs use Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp backlights to give you 92 percent coverage of the NTSC standard, ensuring truer, more breathlessly vivid colors. |
Samsung's Wide Color Enhancer 3 technology delivers more brilliant colors by expanding the gamut of color expression into a third axis, creating a 3D diagram of luminance. This creates a dynamic display of on-screen color and allows traditionally weak colors, such as green and blue, to look vivid and deep. In addition, red colors are enhanced to provide strong colors across the spectrum and the perfect balance of RGB.
|100,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio will give you a picture better than you ever thought possible, with whiter whites, blacker blacks and a nearly infinite subtlety of gradations in between. As two of the most important determining factors in overall picture quality, contrast and brightness levels achieve new heights in this latest generation LCD panel. Samsung's new LCD TV's give the most stunning realistic picture quality ever.|
|In 2008, Samsung created its unique Touch of Color (ToC) design, which uses dual-injection molding to coat a translucent, colored surface to achieve an attractive crystalline appearance. The latest evolution of Samsung's ToC design begins with a deep piano black bezel that fades into distinct chrome that finishes as light ruby highlights. The intensity of the color subtly changes depending upon the viewing angle, and further accentuates these TV's slim bezels.|
|Up-to-the-minute access to weather, news, sports and stock information is just a cable and a click away through the HDTV's Ethernet port and new InfoLink RSS service. An all-new user interface with digital contents management guide provides intuitive navigation and access to both internal and external content.|
|Medi@2.0 lets you enjoy more with Internet TV, allowing you to receive content via Yahoo!, Flickr, and more on screen. It also includes a content library so you can enjoy pre-loaded content, such as cooking recipes and fitness exercises. Plus, DLNA CERTIFIED connectivity lets you remotely access your PC's personal media so that you can download music, video, and photos and enjoy them anywhere in the home your TV is. Finally USB 2.0 multi-media center lets you connect a thumb drive or a digital camera quickly and easily. |
| Current Widgets || |
USA Today Sports
Rent or Buy more than 50,000 Titles from Amazon Video On DemandWith Amazon Video On Demand, Samsung customers can now instantly watch more than 50,000 commercial-free movies and television shows, including hit new releases and the latest episodes available in HD.
|Using an intuitive interface, customers can order movies right from their couch and enjoy instant playback without waiting for lengthy downloads or annoying commercials. Prices start as low as $.99 and no subscription fee is required. |
Choose from thousands of movies and TV shows by browsing in the Amazon Video On Demand section on your Samsung TV. Access and add to your virtual library of purchases via Amazon Video On Demand’s Your Video Library and re-watch anytime on your Samsung TV, your PC or Mac and other compatible devices.
|Rent or Buy |
Renting and purchasing titles is a snap with the power of Amazon’s 1-click purchasing. Order new release movies and the latest TV shows right from your couch and you’re watching within seconds. Prices start as low as $.99.
Using your Samsung TV, enjoy Amazon Video On Demand’s high quality video on any TV. Videos playback instantly, without waiting for a download. Purchases and rentals are added to Your Video Library and stored online by Amazon so you can conveniently watch them on your Samsung television, PC or Mac, and other compatible devices.
|With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience. |
If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Aesthetically, the TV is clean and elegant. Love the touch of red. Love the crystal base. Love the fact that it swivels. It's a beautiful piece of equipment, and looks a good bit more modern than the more curvilinear A model. I'm very happy I waited for this one.
Set up was a snap. Took me about 2 minutes to connect the base. It took longer to remove the stickers. The manual is on a little USB drive that plugs in the side of the TV, but I haven't bothered with it yet.
The picture is stunning, right out of the box. Absolutely beautiful. Only adjustment I made was to turn the brightness down slightly, as I have a very dark TV room.
The on-screen graphics and menus are both intuitive and elegantly designed. I hate when the industrial design is carefully considered, and the on-screen UI is forgotten. That didn't happen here. Both are wonderful.
I somewhat skeptically connected my camera card reader to one of the USB plugs on the side, and inserted a memory card from my father's camera. He'd hoped to show us pictures, but didn't have a plan for how. Perfect timing, as the TV had arrived that day. The TV recognized the card, and very quickly we were watching pictures and video in high res on our new TV. Fantastic.
Less than perfect: the sound. Actually, it's a bit of joke. But, that doesn't effect my rating because I don't feel that the internal speakers are really meant to be used w/ a TV like this. I'm using a 5 channel surround system, but before I hooked it up, I heard the speakers. It makes sense that they wouldn't sound good since you can't even see them.Read more ›
This TV offers the newly introduced Internet@TV. Currently, only Samsung B series has this feature, other manufacturers will incorporate this feature in their future models. This feature is better than the first generation Infolink (RSS feed) that's offered by the A series. You can actually add all sorts of TV widgets, which in the next couple of months will include some of the big online content providers (NY Times, Netflix, eBay, Twitter, Google, etc). Currenly, only Yahoo widgets are available (news, weather, Flickr, finance). You can connect your TV to the internet via ethernet, or you can plug Samsung's Wireless USB adaptor (sold separately) in one of the 2 USB ports.
Other notable features:
a) 2 USB 2.0 slots - I use one slot for the included flash drive which contains the TV manual, and the other slot for my 8GB flash containing pictures, music and video.
b) Content Library - Intenal flash with preloaded content like cooking recipes, artwork screensavers, games, and pre-school children contents. You can download more contents from the internet. I don't find this feature interesting. I tried it twice during the first week, and I haven't explored it again since.
c) Swivel base - I think Samsung is the only brand that offers this feature, which I find really useful.Read more ›
It seems this problem has affected ALL Samsung LCD models, from 30" up to 50". The service guys actually told me to be sure I had an extended warranty, as even though Samsung has updated the power supply software, they could not assure me that this won't happen again.
In the meantime, I am stuck without my beautiful TV for the 3rd Sunday in a row without being able to watch football on the big secreen. What a bummer! We asked what brand TV do they have to service less--Sony! Too bad we didn't spring for a bit more money & buy that one.
Hopefully, this trip to the service people will solve the problem, but it's very worrisome that
a new TV would go bad in such a short time. From what I have read while researching the problem, a lot of folks had this happen to them after their 1 year manufacturer's warranty was already up.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Fantastic tv. I love samsung products, but the picture is outstanding. Guests have actually asked if this is a 3d tv as the faces on people jump out at you. Read morePublished 12 months ago by William C. Stedman
I purchased this tv in August 2009 for 1200 at Sears. Did a lot of research before handing over my hard earned money. I have to say that I could not have made a better purchase. Read morePublished on February 6, 2013 by Scott
Be cautious if considering a Samsung LCD TV. I paid $1600 for this model in 2008 thinking I was buying quality (based in large part on reviews read here and on other sites). Read morePublished on October 7, 2012 by David C. Stuart
This is a great TV. I agree with the other posters about quality, look, etc.
I also agree that the one BIG FLAW with the TV is that you cannot just dial in a station. Read more
I originally bought the LN A650. I would delete channels, but they would not stay deleted. After a month of communicating with Samsung, they arranged a repairman to inspect it. Read morePublished on August 1, 2011 by Elf
This is our first flat screen TV (got tired of waiting for our old tube TV to die).
Very happy with the picture quality, and the TV was pretty simple and quick to setup. Read more
I bought this Samsung LN40B650 back in March of 2009 after researching other comparable TV sets and reading the very positive reviews. Read morePublished on March 4, 2011 by Mike
My husband researched televisions for weeks before deciding on purchasing the ($1300) Samsung from Amazon for our place down south. The set was wonderful. Read morePublished on February 4, 2011 by Pat Girgenti