on July 2, 2012
I just got it and it works great so far. The only issue I had with it was installing it. I'm using windows 7 and I used the installation cd that it came with but could not get it to print. Instead what I did was uninstall everything from the cd and had windows do the work. I opened up the control panel and did add new device and that worked so much better and super fast compared to the installation cd.
on May 5, 2013
This printer is very attractive due to the price of the printer. But due to the headaches you have to deal with with this product, it's simply not even worth the low price that it is. I had to uninstall the driver and re-install the driver 3 times, it worked every time I installed the driver but it stopped printing a few days after. So I had to uninstall and re-install the driver 3 more times (worked for a few days and then stopped every time) until I got so fed up with the item that I had to return it. Because AMAZON is such a wonderful company they were able to provide me with a pre-paid UPS label that I was able to return the product with. AMAZON is a GREAT COMPANY!!!! But this printer is very disappointing, I had high expectations on this product considering it was a SAMSUNG product.
on July 6, 2012
This is one of those products I'd advise you to run away from. If you're a technical wizard and have endless time to spend with Samsung support, you may get it working via wireless one day. If you're a normal person and just want a printer you can plug in and use, you should know that some people who buy this actually get lucky and it turns out that way. But take the time to search for problems with this printer and you'll find that most people who intend to use it on an existing home Wifi network aren't so lucky. If you want a cheap laser printer and are happy running it via USB cable, this printer may be for you. Otherwise, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the telephone with Samsung support. And, be aware that when Level 1 is stumped, you won't be talking to Level 2 on your schedule. The callback time is 1-3 days. If you buy this printer anyway, don't throw away the box as you may be sending it back.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2013
This cheap, lightweight printer looked ideal, good ratings at Consumer Reports, wireless.....after two months of light use a paper jam occurred, which although it has been cleared the printer no longer works, because it still reports a jam. It is impossible to access the entire paper path, so it may still have one. When I contacted Samsung they first told me my warranty had expired on the day I bought it (!), then they told me that I might (at their decision) face a service charge of $78. Since that was as much as the printer cost in the first place, I said no thanks. In addition, although the documentation claims that is runs on Mac OSX many functions, including manual duplexing, are not available. I cannot recommend this printer.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Format: Office ProductVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If the Samsung ML-2165W Wireless Monochrome Printer was a coffee from Starbucks, it would be a;
"short dark and black, please".

For the minimalist, the Samsung ML-2165W is certainly a winner with its compact, fold-up design. The box for this printer has all the basics needed to open it up and begin printing on your own paper in minutes. The paper tray comfortably holds 100 pages and the output tray above is strong enough to hold up just that amount.
Before we get too far into this review, you must know that the Samsung ML-2165W does not have automatic duplex printing capabilities.

Configuring the Samsung ML-2165W to act as a WIFI network printer does require a little bit of work to make computers not running Microsoft Windows 7 use it. First, the WPS button did work with my Sony VAIO laptop which is running Windows 7. Now, the network configuration of the printer required me to plug in the supplied USB 2.0 cable to an old Windows XP desktop computer and run a utility found on the included support CD. After following all the steps, the desktop computer was ready to print in about 20 minutes because Windows XP required me to reboot.

The print quality of this laser printer was very good with not a single defect on any of my pages. The mechanical parts inside operate so smoothly that I had trouble hearing it while watching television.

To test the capabilities of the Samsung ML-2165W printer two different print jobs were chosen using Adobe PDF files. The illustrations in each of these digital books were finely detailed and should give any modern printer a workout. For each print mode the time started and stopped was carefully recorded. Graphics quality was set to Best or 1200x1200 and a Sony VAIO laptop running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional was used as the print job creator.

First, a 52 page digital book about exotic weapons was chosen which had a total file size of 5,558 Kb.
USB 2.0 direct print: 3 minutes 15 seconds; Calculated PPM = 16
Linksys WRT54G WIFI print: 4 minutes 30 seconds; Calculated PPM = 11.5

Second, a 68 page digital book about the Matchlock Musketeer was chosen which had a total file size of 66,315 Kb.
USB 2.0 direct print; 5 minutes 56 seconds; Calculated PPM = 11.4
Linksys WRT54G WIFI print: 8 minutes 12 seconds; Calculated PPM = 8.3

The point of these tests was to compare WIFI printing versus direct USB printing. We clearly see that this printer did slow down for WIFI jobs using the same document. After printing out over 200 pages for this testing, the Samsung printing software is showing that I have less than 1/4 toner left. Which is a little surprising given that my old HP LaserJet 1100 can print over 500 pages of PDF files and still have plenty of toner for the next 500!

In conclusion, the Samsung ML-2165W WIFI printer has a slick space saving design and delivers very good quality prints. The toner cartridge should have more capacity. The paper tray was a little small and the lack of duplex capability stole some of the shine that this had coming out of the box. Yet for casual printing at home or as a backup printer for a college student this could fill a basic need. After looking at all these facts, we can only conclude that this Samsung printer really is nothing more than just, "short dark and black".
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2012
The printer works fine as long as the USB connection is used. When it is connected via WiFi there is a problem

I initially connected the Samsung using the WiFi option and the installation software. The software makes the installation easy. I successfully printed a test page using the 'print test page' option of the install software. But I could not get it to print an existing Excel 2003 document (which previously had been printed on my old HP Laser printer). I could not get it to print, and then the WiFi connection would be terminated. All other types of files (Word 2003 included) printed just fine.

I reinstalled the printer drivers several times, and checked that the router strength was ok, but nothing I tried would get Excel spreadsheets to print on the Samsung . Just to make sure I printed one of the spreadsheets on an Epson Artisan network connected printer with no problems.

In frustration, I chatted with Samsung 'tech support' for a half hour or so and was finally told that the problem had to be with the software at my end. I was ready to return the printer when, for the heck of it I tried the USB connection. Lo and behold, the spreadsheet printed with no problem. A Google search turned up other complaints about using WiFi with the printer.

Bottom line: The price is good, the quality is what you'd expect from an inexpensive printer, and the printer works fine using USB attached to a computer, but not as a Network connected printer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2012
The Samsung ML-2165 B&W laser printer is every bit as good as the HP P1102W, once you have it connected. And that is the difficult part. The setup software is far inferior to HPs, especially if you use a Mac or Linux. It's not that the software doesn't install, it's that it requires a lot of effort to get the client software to work properly. The software has setup screens that appear to be written in Java. Sometimes progressing from one screen to the next results in a lost connection or a white page, and you have to power off the printer and start over. The instructions online and on the CD don't match and didn't help. But after about 90 minutes of effort over two days, I got the printer to join my home wifi network and it's been smooth sailing since.

Once the printer is on the network, any Mac, Windows, or Linux laptop can connect very easily. The printer turns on and off automatically. And the quality is just as good as the HP P1102W. The reason I chose the Samsung is because it is available in white / dove gray and the HP printer is black. It looks better in my home office and doesn't show off fingerprints. And Samsung makes good products, for the most part.

The price of this printer keeps falling. Samsung has to be selling it at or below cost. So their aggressive move to take a bite out of HP's market share results in a very affordable home office machine. It's compact. It's quiet. I don't regret my selection. I just wish connecting this printer to a home network could be done using a web browser and in IP address and not a bug-ridden app! It's an IP driven world, Samsung. make these things manageable via browser!

If you have an Android tablet or phone, you can install the Samsung MobilePrint app and print just about anything from your Android device to this printer. That's a nice feature, although the ability to print via Bluetooth would be more direct.

So if you are a Samsung loyalist, and up for a tech support challenge, this is a good choice. Great machine....once it's connected.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2012
Format: Office ProductVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this printer as I needed a new laser printer. My old HP LaserJet 4P printer is like 20 years old, and its print is terrible and faint and hard to read. This new printer prints nicely dark and crisp. It's easy to set up and it's ready to go.

Be careful to let the printed page dry and watch out, it might smudge.

The warning about this printer: New cartridges cost almost as much as the printer--$59.99 unless you can find them on sale. That's almost like buying a new printer every time ... I didn't like that. My 20 year old LaserJet needs a cartridge once a year, if that. This one, depending on how much you print, may need a new cartridge once a month if you do a lot of printing. So, just be aware of this fact. It's good to have this printer if you don't need to print out everything you have. I would advise to purchase a new cartridge in advance, as when the cartridge is empty you need to have a new one ready to install.

I will update this review when I find out how long a cartridge lasts. This is an important matter and I hope it is not as I feared, needing a new toner cartridge every month.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2012
It prints fast and high quality and is small enough to fit a tight space.
I was looking for an ideal college printer and this fits the description.
on November 6, 2012
the printer i bought it is big help for me . and i think its good enough for me .

work smooth ,just little bit noise than which i used befor. but the price it's very good.