5.0 out of 5 stars Like a TiVo without the monthly charges
Published on October 16, 2008 by Spruce Goose

Pros
-Works as advertised
-Wireless 802.11g AND draft 802.11n (the N works great)
-Can be mounted behind your Samsung TV
-Small and attractive design
-Generates little heat
-Your existing Samsung TV remote can control the unit through the HDMI
-Firmware upgradeable over the internet

Cons
-Slow and sluggish menu navigation...
Published on October 28, 2008 by F. Zegarra

3.0 out of 5 stars Only worth it if you have a recent Samsung TV, otherwise get a cheaper extender, October 28, 2008
This review is from: Samsung MR-00EA1 MediaLive Digital Media Adapter (Electronics)
Pros
-Works as advertised
-Wireless 802.11g AND draft 802.11n (the N works great)
-Can be mounted behind your Samsung TV
-Small and attractive design
-Generates little heat
-Your existing Samsung TV remote can control the unit through the HDMI
-Firmware upgradeable over the internet

Cons
-Slow and sluggish menu navigation (compared to Xbox360)
-Slow and sluggish channel changing (compared to Xbox360)
-No number keys on the supplied remote
-The remote uses watch style batteries
-"Out of memory" error, forcing me to reboot the box. (this has happened once so far, hopefully this doesn't happen again)
-Nearly endless power-on time, I'd estimate over a minute. You're better off leaving the thing on all the time
-Only 1080i capable, not 1080p

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a TiVo without the monthly charges, October 16, 2008
Spruce Goose (Hayward, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I got the MediaLive Adapter yesterday, and connected it to my Samsung HL61A750 DLP TV with no problems. It connects to my PC via wired Ethernet, and the speed is plenty fast, with minimal lag. My objective was to use my PC as a DVR for over-the-air broadcasts (I have 2 USB tuners attached to the PC), and it does so very well. The Adapter integrates seamlessly with the TV. Now all I have to do is get a second hard drive to hold all of the programs I'll be recording.

Update 12/28/09: My wife and I are still extremely pleased with this item. Since my initial review, I added a 1TB hard drive, upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, and added a third tuner. We record OTA programs in HD on our PC (we now have 90 programs waiting to be watched), and they play back on our TV with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Flawlessly - Even Includes HDMI Cable, October 16, 2008
A. Calvo "Explorer5" (Tinton Falls, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews of other Media Extenders, I was a little nervous before I purchased the Samsung MediaLive.. Just purchased two of them, installed it and wow - it works flawlessly! The included remote even turns on and off the TV without any setup. If you're intending on primarily using the Media Live on your tv, you can put your regular remote away!

It even contains an HDMI cable in the box!

Currently I have a Wireless-G network, and I do notice some lag due to the lower bandwidth, so I will be upgrading to Wireless-N shortly, but even with the Wireless-G, the MediaLive adapter works great and is still very usable. Recorded tv streams great, very little (if any) pixelation while watching a streamed tv show (due to the Wireless-G connection). Music & Photos work great, absolutely no problem hearing music.

I couldn't be happier with a product that works so seamlessly and smoothly with my network, computer and tv. Excellent job samsung!

It should be mentioned that I have a 26" & a 42" Series 4 LCD TV. According to the Medialive box & Samsung website the device doesnt work on Series 4 LCD's smaller than 32 inches, I have no problem using it on my 26" Series 4 TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb For TV, Limited internet content support, November 26, 2008
K. Smith (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
ABSTRACT

Drop-dead simple and reliable extender for those with Vista Media Center (VMC) and select 2008 model Samsung TVs. The most tightly integrated option for compatible Samsung TVs, though less functionality than a Microsoft developed solution (second PC or XBOX).

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Network connectivity Support: wireless (802.11a/g/n) and wired network support, though wired is suggested for high-definition content. There is an integrated bandwidth tester to help avoid/troubleshoot bandwidth related playback issues.

TV/stored Video content support: Live/Recorded TV streaming from VMC, and other stored video in WMV, MPEG2, MPEG 4, H-264 formats.

Online content support: Uses VMC as a proxy. Streams CinemaNow movies, and MSNBC, possibly others but the list is short due to limited codec support on the MediaLive. To my chagrin, it currently does _not_ support Netflix, even when using VMC extensions that do work with the Xbox.

Music support: WMV, MP3, AC3 file streaming from PC

Photo Playback: JPEG file streaming from PC

Noise: If there are any moving parts, I can't hear them. Unlike a PC or XBOX, this unit is silent.

USE

Installation: Small device (6.1"(W) x 4.9"(H) x 1.2"(D)), mountable to the rear of the TV, though in my case it was even cleaner to place it on the floor behind the toe-kick of my TV stand (the completely hidden 3" high space under the drawers/doors). Connect 1 power cable, 1 (optional) network cable, 1 HDMI cable to TV. Run through the 5 minute wizard to associate the MediaLive with VMC.

Use: The device powers itself on/off automatically when the TV switches inputs to/away from the MediaLive. This results in about 30-60 second delay from the time you push the button to the time you see the Media Center interface, but it keeps the power draw and heat generation to a minimum without any hassle of ever having to see or touch the MediaLive itself.
Maneuvering around the interface is a bit slower than when working directly within VMC. Seems like a half second lag, workable but less than stellar. However, I understand this is caused by Microsoft's extender design rather than the MediaLive.
Picture gallery, Music, and Video Library (select codecs) work almost identical as in VMC (transitions/other minor items excluded). Of course, the Live/Recorded TV works flawlessly. As noted above, online content support is extremely limited. MediaLive supports a handful of the most common a/v codecs, while your PC may support a hundred or more. The codecs include the major file types you're likely to have on your PC, but don't be surprised when you can't watch an online video or the like.

-----
NETFLIX support (or lack thereof)

I'm putting this in its own section, because it was a big deal to me and in my old age I've come to realize I'm not as special/unique as I used to believe. :)

One of my main considerations in purchasing the MediaLive was some previewer's claim that it would support Netflix `Watch Now' content. Maybe someday that will be true, but as I found the hard way, there is currently no direct (integrated) Netflix support, and at this time even the vmcNetflix extension that works with the XBOX does NOT currently work with MediaLive. It's an example of the missing codec, which means it can be added by Samsung with no more than a firmware update (please). Alas, no such update is available as of this writing...

OPINION
Kudos to Samsung for a simple device that brings the primary features of VMC to my TV, requires absolutely no maintenance, supports standard and high-def video (up to 1080i), and does all this _without_ requiring yet another remote in my hand. Quicker startup times would be great, but it's a fair concession to leverage MediaLive's tight integration with my TV. Netflix support (or lack thereof) is so far a big disappointment, but otherwise I am enamored with the MediaLive... and I still hold out hope for future Netflix support.

If you have a compatible TV and VMC, and value ease of use over expansive codec support, this unit should be top on your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, November 2, 2008
Clay Johanson (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
The MR-00EA1 does exactly what it says it does: It adds Windows Media Center Extender functionality to your Samsung TV, so that you can access media (movies, songs, photos, etc.) stored on your Windows Vista PC without having to use something like an Xbox 360.

Setting up this product takes a matter of minutes and is very easy to do. And once it's installed, using it is very simple and you can even use your existing Samsung TV remote to navigate the Windows Media Center menus.

The only real complaint I have, and this is not the MR-00EA1's fault, is that streaming HD video content over a wireless network does not provide optimal results. I ended up getting a Belkin Powerline AV system to connect my MR-00EA1 to my home network; once I did that, my network speed is amazingly fast and there are no more networking issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1080i NOT 1080p, November 10, 2008
Per embedded manual, will only output 1080i. Test confirms.

Works well with Nero MediaHome server. Works well well with WMC also.

1.0 out of 5 stars CHECK YOUR TV BEFORE BUYING THIS PRODUCT, January 4, 2010
I was very disappointed with my purchase of this product. I currently use the DVR function of Windows Media Center on my PC. I enjoy having the ability to stream this content to my living room using an Xbox 360, but I was looking to also have the ability to stream my DVR content to the bedroom. I did some research on the available types of media center extenders and was sold on this product. In fact, I purchased a Samsung television specifically for the purpose of interfacing with this extender, as the Samsung extender is designed to only work with certain Samsung televisions. According to the official information, the Samsung extender is compatible with 2008 Samsung Series 4 televisions 26" and up, and I purchased a 26" Series 4 Samsung television. However, the television that I purchased turned out to be a 2009 Samsung Series 4 26" television. Only the the 2008 televisions have the Anynet+/HDMI-CEC functionality that is required to utilize this device. For some reason, Samsung discontinued this function for the 2009 televisions, so I am unable to use this device. If you plan to purchase this extender make certain that you do NOT have anything other than a compatible 2008 television. The differences are subtle, so please check carefully (e.g., the 2009 model number for my television is LN26B460 while the 2008 model number for the same television is LN26B450). The simplest way to verify that your television will interface with this device is to check to determine if your television contains the Anynet+/HDMI-CEC functionality. Do NOT purchase this extender if your Samsung television does NOT have Anynet+/HDMI-CEC functionality. The Samsung MediaLive Digital Adapter will NOT work without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Need for Tivo/DVR, December 22, 2008
This product works as advertized. I connected to my Samsund LN52650A, to gain benefit of Anynet+ capability. It was a little "wierd" to connect, but easy enough, just make sure you go to the "source" in order to gain access to the extender.

Thought I would be able to play DVDs from my PC but stangley enough that capability is not available.

No need to spend more on other models. Well priced, and a benfit to connecting to a Samsung screen because of the mounting plate availbe on the rear of the TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product But No Multi-Channel Audio Support!!!, November 1, 2008
I was going to give the Samsung MediaLive extender a 5 star review as it works wonderfully with my Samsung LN46A650 HDTV. However, after phoning up Samsung technical support and finding out that there is absolutely no way to get the device to output multi-channel sound (even with an AVR), I ended up giving it a single star instead. IMHO, a Media Center extender is absolutely useless if it can't output surround sound. With all of the HD content available these days, why limit the product like that (especially after putting all of the work into the video format support)??? It's a real shame as I really liked the MediaLive. Unfortunately, it has now been sent back to Amazon for a full refund.

If you don't need multi-channel sound, then the MediaLive is an excellent Media Center extender that you will be very happy with. However, if you want to be able to enjoy the rich surround sound experience that accompanies HD video content, then look elsewhere. Every other extender on the market will output multi-channel sound (Xbox 360, HP MediaSmart Connect, Linksys DMA2200/2100, etc., etc.) and so you'd be wise to pick up a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, February 4, 2009
Had trouble staying connected to wireless network at home even though signal strength was great. To fix this problem I changed my network wireless routers channel and haven't been dropped since. Very cool accessing my pictures on my 52" LCD...

Samsung MR-00EA1 MediaLive Digital Media Adapter