5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-in-one laser

1.0 out of 5 stars SAMSUNG customer service STINKS big time
Published on February 7, 2011 by Pinetree

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-in-one laser, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Monochrome Multifunction Laser Printer (SCX-4623F) (Office Product)
Not sure about the other review, that's why I decided to add my 2 cents. I was able to get the printer out of the box, plug it in, install the CD and have a fully functional printer/scanner/fax within 5 minutes and I have a Windows 7, 64 bit PC. It scanned and uploaded the image to my Adobe program on the first try (I was not expecting this to be the case having read the other review). The image was very clear - in fact it was far superior to my old brother all-in-one that this printer replaced. The fax machine worked equally as well and I was able to fax a Word document from my computer with no problems on the first try. The fax interface is easier to use than that of my old brother machine as well. So far no complaints whatsoever - wonderful print/copy quality and easy to use fax/scanner. I paid $130 for it at Office Max. For this price, I feel like I got a bargain.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAMSUNG customer service STINKS big time, February 7, 2011
First, DO NOT DOWN LOAD ANY FIRMWARE UPDATE from Samsung. They prompted me to install a firmware upgrade for a "bug" in the printer copier. There has been no issue with it. All has been working fine. Until after the install. I have been buying off-label (Green Apple brand) toner/drum cartridges which save me a bit of money (not alot). I have 2 for backup. Immediately after installing the firmware upgrade, the copier will not recognize the toner. Saying "Incompatible toner cartridge installed". And will not work. I called customer service, and first they told me to uninstall the software. I said it can not be done, as it is a firmware, installed in the copier. They transferred me to a technician, who said that it has to be done by an authorized service center, and they said that since my copier is under warranty, I can bring it to a local service center to have the older firmware version 1 reinstalled. I called the facility, and asked them TWICE if this is a service they can do. They confirmed they can. I brought the printer over and left it for 4 days. Then called them. They said I'll need to buy a new toner with Samsung brand. I said that the whole reason why I brought it over is to have the firmware reinstalled, and they had confirmed it can be done. Then today, a Samsung representative called me, saying that they will not allow the old firmware to be installed, as they specifically said in the manual that only Samsung toners can be used in these machines. To me, this is scandalous, to tell owners to install an update to fix a "bug" when the bug is simply the fact that they want to BLOCK you from using non-Samsung toner and drums. This is not a warranty issue with defective equipment, but an issue that SAMSUNG does not want people to use aftermarket or non-samsung products. BAD,BAD,BAD,BAD..... I will not recommend any SAMSUNG products to anyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars proprietary Toners are required via Firmware locking, January 30, 2011
After spending hours on the phone/online with Samsung customer "service" I've learned that the latest firmware is irreversible and makes it so that you are required to buy Samsung Genuine Toners.

The firmware does not state that you'll only be able to use Samsung Genuine Toners and I firmly believe they are in the wrong if not for the fact that they're pretty blatantly breaking the First Sale Doctrine.

They refuse to admit wrong doing, avoid actually responding to any complaints and have consistently shown that they don't care that they essentially locked down their printers.

My issue isn't buying Samsung Genuine toners, it is the fact that they are requiring it without even so much as an announcement. Also saying it is standard practice is not true, because there are plenty of printer companies that will let you use the toner you choose for your printer.

After hours on the phone and online with Samsung, their extremely apathetic responses are why I will never recommend Samsung to anyone else and have decided to report them to the BBB.

I realize reviews/BBB/complaints against a company as big as Samsung are a drop in the bucket, but enough drops leads to an overflowing bucket.

If only we could give them zero stars. You get nothing Samsung, no money from ink cartridges, no future TV purchases; the only thing you get is the knowledge that you're pissing people off by locking your products via firmware.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!!, March 29, 2011
There's another review just like this. Samsung released a firmware update that prevents non-Samsung toner cartirdges from being used. Customer service denied that there was even a firmware update!

Needless to say, this is my last Samsung product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little multifunction, October 5, 2010
The ease of setup with this unit was great. Everything works as it should. Nothing was overly-complicated. The printouts are spectacular, and the speed is impressive. I feel like some of the other reviews may be from non-tech-savvy users, because I have had zero trouble with this model with several clients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Multifunction Printer for the Money, January 4, 2011
CJTacoma (Houston, USA) - See all my reviews
Overall, this is an excellent buy for the money. Wife installed right out of the box and had going within a few minutes. Print and scan quality is great. Only issues are that we cannot figure out how to scan from the buttons on the machine...it will not recognize our computer. Other drawback is that the toner cartridge that comes with the unit only lasts for about 50-60 pages worth of printing so you may as well buy the high output cartridge when you purchase the printer. You can get an off brand for around $60 that is supposed to print 2500 pages....update on this statement....Ordered from Green Cartridge Tech and it appears that the recycled unit may not be compatable with this unit. It printed about 5 pages and then gave us the "Replace Toner" error. Now trying to resolve with Green Cartridge Tech.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would probably buy another one., August 7, 2011
I actually use all the functions of a multifunction printer fairly often. I fax resumes/CVs, scan pictures for older relatives and print everything from small brochures to documents to coupons on different types of paper. This printer is completely capable of all these things. (Note: I don't print pictures so I can't answer to that.)

Overall, I'm just enjoying the setup way more than with my last two inkjet printers (HP & Canon). You can keep one kind of paper in the paper tray and manually feed specialty papers through the slot above the paper tray. I found that rather useful. I really enjoy having a feeder instead of just a flatbed scanner. As someone who cannot handle crooked scans or prints, it just makes things so much easier to have a simple, straight guided feed instead of trying not to touch whatever is sitting on the scanner bed before you get the lid shut.

The only thing you have to remember (if this is your first laser printer) is to take the cartridge out and gently tilt it side-to-side to evenly coat the cartridge. The toner cartridge is very easy to take out and replace.

I really like this machine. I'm glad I made the decision to go monochrome for my home-use printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all in one, July 16, 2011
I have used this printer for several weeks and have no problems. I have made 100's of copies and scans with no issues. Double sided printing is also no hassle. If you have a limited budget and do not need the wireless this is the one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware if you have Windows 7 64 bit, August 13, 2010
This is, in theory, a terrific and compact multifunction printer/copier/fax/scanner. BUT the scanner drivers are problematic if you are using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Despite the fact that the Samsung website seems to have the correct drivers, there ARE bugs and it took me several tries with the phone help of a Tech to get the scanner to work and keep working.

Usual deal--Samsung claims that it's a Widows 7 64 bit issue that Microsoft needs to address; Microsoft claims that Samsung has to fix it.

I still like this machine, but if you're not at least fairly computer literate, it won't be easy to set up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product and reasonable cost!, April 1, 2011
I have been using this product for hardly 15-20 days. I was looking for a reasonably cost laser printer with a combination of scanner and copying and 'Samsung SCX-4623F'did met all the criterion for me. The good things about it is that the print quality is superb, easy to install, fast printing and scanning. The thing which I do not like about it is that if you want to print both sides of paper then you will have to feed manually after one side of printing is done. Moreover I am not sure how to do it properly (probably I will have to go through manual or explore more) but I have to open the lower tray each time to manually feed them. I hope there is some way to feed them on the top slanting tray which I could not explore till now. I have not used the copy function till now and Fax option is not for me as I will not be using it. I recommend this product and hope someone may tell me how to feed the paper on top tray for second side printing before I explore it myself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›