Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung NP540U3C-A03UB Series 5 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Titan Silver
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 20, 2013
This Ultrabook has spoiled me forever. Full size power and performance in a lightweight product that I use daily. My 2-year old Toshiba Satellite laptop feels like it weighs a ton compared to this one. Battery length is excellent (almost 6 hours unless watching videos, maybe 4 1/2 - 5 hours) and sound quality is much better than expected although I usually use headphones, it's nice to have a laptop that you can hear clearly through its own speakers. I flow between using the keyboard, the mouse, and the touchscreen (which I love), but the onscreen keyboard has not gotten as much use from me as I thought it might. Windows 8 took no time to get used to for me and is very compatible with this touchscreen Ultrabook. If you miss having a backlit keyboard, as I've read in other reviews of this model, just tip the screen down for a second to see what you're doing. I know where the keys are, so for me the lack of backlighting was a non-issue. Cosmetically, it's absolutely beautiful and fingerprint free (except for the easy to clean touchscreen). I got this exact model for $600 at Best Buy after a very good sale and some other discounts (I bought a Verizon JetPack mobile hotspot and got another $100 off the price of this computer, which was just an added bonus at the checkout counter that I wasn't expecting). This was about three months ago and I haven't seen it on sale for such a low price since then. This model may be steeply priced if it's selling for $900 but if you can find it for $750 or less, grab it!
on December 3, 2013
It is an excellent laptop. Very light. I bought two of them this black Friday and migrated on Saturday from my old (2010) laptop without any problem. With its SSD buffer drive this laptop is flying. It is much faster than my old one.
on July 29, 2015
History: Purchased new in February 2013, will replace in August 2015 with a non-Samsung model.

Good:
Sharp, bright screen, even at 1366x768.
Reasonably fast performance.
Reliable network connections, both wired and Wi-Fi.
Reliable USB, HDMI connectivity.
Comfortable keyboard and trackpad.
Light, comfortable to transport, and to use sitting on one's lap.
Reasonably warm (not hot) underneath.
RAM memory easily upgradeable.

Bad:
Mediocre long-term reliability: battery (or battery charging circuit) failed in 24 months; battery swelling / expansion occurred at 29 months, making the keyboard and trackpad uncomfortable to use, and the trackpad buttons unusable. [Previous laptops from Dell and HP would have battery failures only after about 4 years, and those batteries were easily user-replaceable.]

Other issues:
Lack of technical knowledge at Samsung customer support: Before I purchased this laptop, I asked and received 2 confirmations from Samsung that this model has a backlit keyboard; it does not.

> Lack of protection during system updates: The Samsung utilities allowed me to perform a Windows update without reminding me to perform a Samsung Software Update first. The Windows update disabled the video drivers; from the indicator lights, it appeared that the laptop was working fine, but I could not see anything. It took many hours over a couple of days to rebuild the OS from scratch, and eventually arrive at a fully operating laptop. (The Windows system restore function also failed; I don't know if that was the fault of Samsung or Microsoft.)
on May 9, 2014
We purchased the Samsung Ultrabook because of its good ratings, but we have had nothing but problems with this computer. We have owned it for one year and three days. In that time, it has been in twice for repairs. The power button, motherboard, hard drive, dc cable, palm rest and AC adaptor have all been replaced. Today, we had the dreaded blue screen. Samsung will not stand behind a product that is three days out of warranty. This is now a $700 paperweight.
on November 9, 2015
Bought 2 of these laptops in May of 2013 and over the past year the battery has gotten swollen in both computers the same problem happened. I would never recommend this product. Samsung has been awful to deal with. They know about the problem and want $410 to repair their problem.
on April 9, 2014
Pros
-------
Feels solid and not too heavy
built well
Screen responsiveness is very good (for new users of Win 8 and 8.1 (free upgrade) it may seem the screen is too sensitive but once you get the hang of touch screen interface you will love it.
for the price i paid it was an extreme value for money as a borderline ultrabook and reliability of samsung ( own a S4 and galaxy note tablet 10.1) all of them perform flawlessly.
Perfect size 13.3 inches
Portable with all necessary ports available
Cons
-------
no backlit keyboard (for me it wasn't a big deal as i don't care much for backlit keyboards)

only improvement i would suggest it to get the weight even more down by a pound atleast and to include a backlit keyboard (to grab more customers as i believe many people like that feature)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2013
Thin, light, and powerful. Battery is pretty good too. And it starts up really fast from sleep. It's definitely good enough to use as your daily laptop.
on November 30, 2014
I don't know if it's just me. Aesthetically the laptop is a 10, but performance it's been like a 5. Every time I get it back from sleep it takes about 2 o 3 mins to finally awakes and much of the time it becomes very slow responsive. It's just not as agile as I think it should be
on June 1, 2014
Ive had this for about a month now and it handles exactly as i need it to. The battery charge is good, the keyboard is a great fit, and the screen resolution is great. It's a little heavier than I expected given the size, but not so heavy that it affected my satisfaction with the product. My ONLY beef with this has nothing to do with the Samsung product, its with Windows 8, which I hate so much. I use this for school and browsing and watch some video. the fan is very quiet, which i love, and this hasnt heated up much on me yet. It boots up pretty fast, faster than other machines I've used.
on August 26, 2014
Great specs, great price, great look, HORRIBLE reliability! I bought this in December 2012. August 2014 my battery no longer accepts a charge. This isn't my first PC. I never leave it on the charger all night just normal use. Samsung refuses to honor my expired warranty. Samsung uses a separate company to do their repairs. Since this PC has a sealed in battery that is not removable u must send it in for repair/to change it. $192 was the quote to replace the battery. I tried calm reason, appealed to their desire to keep a customer, ranted, threatened to never to buy from them again, all to no avail. I will NEVER buy another Samsung product again (and I love their televisions)!