5.0 out of 5 stars premium ultrabook at a bargain price
Series 9 is supposed to be Samsung's premium line of ultrabook. However, pressure from aggressive competitors, such as Asus and Acer, has prompted Samsung to release the X3D as a bargain model of the Series 9 ultrabook line. Key differences between x3d and x3c (the true premium ultrabook) are as follow:
Chassis material: magnesium alloy vs aluminum (edge to...
Published 21 months ago by Brian Chang

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugly girl in pretty dress
I used this exact model from work for two weeks last month.
Got a note from amazon that it was 7 bills on sale and decided to add my thoughts on my three weeks experience on this budget downgraded Samsung 9.

Firstly it is a good looking machine. It is a light machine. Sadly those are the sole positives compared to the competition or for that matter the...
Published 20 months ago by g

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ultrabook, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Series 9 NP900X3D-A01US 13.3-Inch Premium Ultrabook (Silver) (Personal Computers)
This is a fantastically svelte little ultrabook - nearly as slender and easy to handle as an iPad and with a full keyboard. Having used the laptop for several weeks now, I can say that I'm well pleased with it. The screen resolution is vivid and dense. The touchpad is extremely sensitive and works quite well with the new W8 gestures. It's very nearly the same experience as a touchscreen as far as I can tell, though there are a few gestures, such as closing a W8 app which would be easier on a touchscreen.

Battery life is quite good in my experience, though I didn't do any timed trials or try to max out the number of apps, videos, etc. running in order to test it. The wi-fi sensitivity seems very good as well. I also like the keyboard quite well in most regards, though it has a few oddball key placements. Thankfully, the 2 USB ports, one 2.0 and one 3.0 for some reason, are both standard and don't require mini connectors. There is no cd-rom/dvd-rom player/burner, however, which must be hooked up separately. There is a port for a wired LAN connection and a special included 'dongle' to make the connection. The battery is not replaceable which is poor and the hard drive is relatively small - almost half used up on arrival by the OS and other programs. That's not a big issue for me personally since I don't plan to store a lot of images, video or data on the machine.

The only issues I've had with this laptop are transitory ones which are intrinsic to its OS. The new W8 requires a number of hours to get used to and to configure. The new start screen is pure flash for marketing, pretty but dispensable. Thankfully, Samsung supplies an app which is ready for activation on the laptop which supplies a floating toolbar at the top of the screen, one of the icons of which drops down a standard W7 start menu. The W8 apps themselves are beautiful to look at, but so far nothing to write home about.

Overall, a very sweet little ultrabook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got what I wanted for a great price, January 13, 2013
Posted a video of it closing here:

[...]

I really like this laptop. I was fortunate enough to know that it was not an x3c upfront so I wasn't expecting that. I do some basic coding, writing, and general computing on this laptop and for that it works fine. I love the form factor and dont find that the body feels cheap at all. Like I said in the video mine closes all the way so that probably contributes to the quality feel. I haven't had problems with boot times either. I did delete a lot of the free ware that samsung put on but that shouldn't make too much of a difference. This is not my main computer so I didn't need it to be super powerful and for around $600-700 I felt like I got a good deal. What you're getting here is the small form factor with acceptable (not outstanding) performance. I would not try and get something this size packed with enough power to do CAD/CAM stuff which is what my desktop is for. The battery life is good with the screen brightness turned down some. I like the brightness up so I'm getting 4-5 hrs but could easily get 6 or 7 if I would put it back to the power saver settings. Also there was an issue with the screen dimming randomly so I turned off the "adaptive brightness" in the brightness menu (advanced) and that fixed it. If I update all the drivers I could probably turn it back on and it would work. All in all I like this laptop so far (I got it about a week ago).

5.0 out of 5 stars "polished magnesium uni-body" as advertised, NOT PLASTIC, November 27, 2012
HA TRAN (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I got the laptop today and would like to write a short review while I am setting it up. I want to say that this is the best laptop I've ever had. I used to own a macbook air, a pro, and a 2011 series 9. This one looks much better than the air, and lighter. It feels and looks uni-body because it is. The weather was cold ouside so the whole computer was cold when I opened it. I am pretty sure that it is metal body, NOT PLASTIC as some other reviews say. Another thing that I noticed was that the windows key was a windows 8 key with windows 8 logo on it, not windows 7 as pictured.

This is a solid machine, like a macbook air, you can open the top without using the other hand to keep the base from moving, not like 2011 model.

Performance: You can read at other reviews because the computer is not up and running yet. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Running Arch Linux very well., June 30, 2013
It's very good. I think the SSD can be faster, but overall a very fast system. I can't comment on Windows 8 performance as I only used Windows 8 on it for about 10 minutes so I could upgrade the BIOS firmware from Samsung. I think it ran Windows 8 fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars support, May 28, 2013
the laptop has issues with connecting to remote desktop, the help was very bad from Samsung. They couldnt resolve my issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, March 18, 2013
I bought this ultrabook just after Christmas 2012, and I've loved it ever since then. Very speedy. VERY thin and light. It's almost as thin as a tablet, and it's lighter than any other full-fledged computer you'll find on the market.

Three complaints:
- Windows 8. I'm just not a fan. I've gotten used to it, but I'd take Windows 7 in a heartbeat.
- No Ethernet port. This is the price you pay for such a thin computer. It's seriously thinner than an Ethernet port.
- SSD is 128 GB, but you're only given about 90 GB out-of-box. The operating system is taking up a fourth of the SSD before anything else has been installed. You might want to upgrade to a bigger SSD.

Edit: After nine months of usage, I'm no longer as enchanted with this product. Specifically, the touchpad. It often ignores clicks, and it has frozen on me multiple times to the point that I had to do a hard reset. Would not purchase again if given the opportunity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Touchpad freezes very frequently, March 11, 2013
The touchpad freezes quite frequently, even after a complete reboot or shut down, totally un-useable. External mouse works fine though.

After install the latest driver the situation is getting better, but still freezes quite frequently for a few seconds and response again, very inconvenient to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget ultrabook is good for every day usage., January 28, 2013
I bought this computer for general use including:
-web browsing
-MS Office usage (mostly Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
-Music & video streaming
-Light photo editing

FORM FACTOR
I wanted something lightweight & portable. This fits the bill, it is indeed a metal computer, though doesn't feel like a slab of metal (it does get cold if left alone for a while). It seems relatively durable, but not rugged given its thinness.

KEYBOARD & TOUCHPAD
Keyboard is OK, given how thin this machine is I was happy with how it feels. I haven't made many errors typing on it. However, some of the larger keys (enter, shift) have a cheap sound to them. Not a deal-breaker. Backlighting is nice, although for some reason changing the brightness of it is delayed a few seconds after the key press. The touchpad performed well for me out-of-box, I ended up barely tweaking the settings. Win8 gestures perform well enough, edge swipes help navigating without a touch screen. Its large and feels good.

SCREEN
At 13" and 1600x900, this is exactly what I was looking for...plus its matte finish reduces glare. I'm no videophile, but the screen is bright enough for me & looks good.

PERFORMANCE & PORTS
Yes, its a last-generation CPU & graphics. This didn't bother me since I don't need high-power in my portable machine. All of my installations & applications went smoothly & run fine. The SSD makes things snappy, even though its not the fastest, I'm coming from a HDD & it is nice & quick in comparison. Remember, no DVD/CD & only 128GB storage. Only 2 USB ports, I thought this would bother me more than it does, but I wish they were both USB 3.0. Haven't tested the display-out ports yet. The USB ports are a little tough to insert & remove, but this may change over time with extensive use. The AC adapter is a 90 degree plug, but can be rotated so as to not block the USB port on the left side of the machine. Speakers are OK for such a compact machine, but headphones are light enough...take them with you! Battery life has been between 4-6 hours for me. On the lower end when I had brightness up & was watching Netflix, and higher with just general Office apps & browsing. The machine gets a little warm on the bottom, so be wary. Never cause for alarm for me, but warmer than I'd like.

SOFTWARE
I immediately uninstalled the antivirus (IMO Microsoft's solution works perfectly). The Samsung settings & other software is nice, but I think I'll end up getting rid of their multimedia suite as I've grown accustomed to other software. Win8 is the future, whether you like it or not. I'm sure it would run great under Win7, but you may lose some feature support. Win8 boots super quickly, and there are programs you can purchase to bring back the beloved Start Menu if you so desire.

CONCLUSION
My budget was $700-$800. This was on sale for the lower of that & I'm satisfied. The keyboard could be better & if you're on a L***** or similar machine with a stellar keyboard, you might be disappointed. Since its cheap for an ultrabook, you get last-gen hardware & a SLIGHTLY less-premium fit & finish than the other Series 9 models that I looked at (well over $1100), so take that into consideration. You either spend several hundred more for a super-premium device, or save a little dough & cut some corners. In my opinion, the corners cut here are minimal. I'd recommend this model to a user with similar needs to me, listed above. Only took off 1 star for a combination of the AC adapter plug, minor keyboard issue, minor heat issue & the battery life is a little lower than quoted (but isn't it always?).

PS: The lid closing issue others are having is minor, it only occurs for me if I close the laptop like a book (one-handed, close to the spine). Otherwise its fine.

EDIT (3/12/2013)
After a couple months of use, still satisfied with the purchase. I'm getting at least 4 hours battery life (I rarely let it get below 20%) using Samsung's option for only charging to 80% to prolong the lifetime of the battery.

A word of caution: I would use some kind of sleeve or protective case if you're carrying this daily, as I have been. Somehow my machine has picked up a faint scratch on the top cover. Not sure what caused this, but I'm getting a sleeve to prevent more from occurring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great points, some okay points, some irritating points., January 25, 2013
Cliff's Notes: It's okay at $700, maybe, but nothing really special about it apart from form factor/weight.

The good:

*Very lightweight at 2.5 pounds
*Looks okay
*Doesn't get very loud with fans
*Matte screen (if that's your thing this is a plus; it's my thing)
*Backlit keyboard

Mediocre:

*Specs aren't terribly impressive in any respect, for casual users it will certainly get the job done.
*Keyboard is passable, but won't stand out as great either.
*Screen is entry-level IPS/PLS quality; superior to TN for sure, but nowhere near an ipad3/4 retina quality and somewhat less than say a Zenbook Prime. Blacks are washed out grey. In my case, also plagued by backlight bleed and a stuck blue pixel.
*Speakers are average, your typical laptop speakers.

Cons:

*Terrible, terrible SSD performance (as far as SSDs go this one is just hilariously bad)
*Squeaking area of trackpad when left clicking- enough to be annoying and distracting, like a piece of metal grinding. Makes an otherwise tolerable notebook feel cheap. The trackpad in general doesn't seem to work that well at all.
*Samsung drivers are a mess I'm just too frustrated to get into at the moment
*Bad wi-fi performance

A little tough for me to grade this laptop in a vacuum and I do have to factor in price ($700 was what I paid). I also have to consider that every single notebook currently on the market has at least one weak point and everything below $1,000 has more than one. I don't think there's a 13-15" notebook with an IPS or PLS screen I haven't had hands on with (from the Retina MBP on down). I have yet to see one get everything right. Either they're plagued with horrible keyboards, TN panels, IPS panels with orange-tinted reds, wifi problems, price problems or something else.

With this one I think it's very light, has respectable battery life, has a good looking (if imperfect) display, and you can type on it without pulling your hair out. On the other hand, the trackpad I received is very annoying with it's grinding noise and there are several hints that the general build quality is lacking with this weaker US model. The backlight bleed, creaking, bad wifi and precarious power connection is putting me at a decision as to whether to return or exchange it. Ultimately I still need a notebook though, and as it stands today this model might still be the best option out of comparable options under $1,000.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I would have liked., February 2, 2013
I purchased this computer this January (2013) after a long debate over whether to purchase a Samsung Series 9 or a Mac Airbook. Tight on money, I chose this less expensive series 9. Though I love the look and the feel - and it's portability, I have been surprisingly frustrated with the computer from the day I took it out of the box. On day 1, the mouse kept freezing - after some research, I learned that this has happened to other people too. I got it working again (after restarting the computer several times) and hoped that that would be the end of my problems. However, the mouse freezes regularly. Just when I turn the computer on - meaning that I have to stop and reboot - sometimes 2 or 3 times. In just the one month that I've had the computer, it's actually done an automatic shutdown and reboot twice, due to some errors it cannot recover from (maybe this is a problem with Windows 8??). I've had problems with other little things working one minute, then not the next - for example, the touchpad occasionally stops doing certain functions, like the swipe function will stop. I have to restart to get it to work. And, tonight, my webcam stopped working while I was on Skype (so went from working to not working with no changes made). I had to reboot the computer to get it to work again (and, if took powering off the computer 3 times to get it to actually power off - it was just going to sleep despite the fact that I was choosing Power Off). These little things are incredibly frustrating to me - especially since I am not a computer whiz. I have always been a PC user, but this time I wish I had gone with the Mac Air (or at least spent the extra money for the better model of the Series 9 - but, I would expect an $800 computer to work pretty well). Unfortunately, I live overseas in a place that does not have a good mail or courier system, so I will just deal with it. But, if I were home in the States, I would return it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›