on September 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
I'm always on the go, and I needed a machine that was light, fast, and had a good screen resolution.
I've been using the Samsung NP900X3E-K01US for a month now and it's ridiculously LIGHT, SNAPPY FAST, and a BEAUTY.

A few reviews have already mentioned the core of this ultrabook's pros and cons, so I won't bore you with a repeat information. Instead, I'd like to share with you a few thoughts of the machine and use cases:

My biggest concern for not jumping on to this deal right away was due to the 4GB RAM restriction. I still feel a little upset that Samsung didn't put a 8GB RAM on this machine, but surprisingly it's adequate enough for me. I use Photoshop heavily for all my freelance work. I have CS6 and Photoshop runs perfectly fine for web work. However, the 4GB restriction starts to kick in when you're working with HUGE documents (300ppi) magazines, because the scrub zoom feature becomes disabled. Fortunately, I only do webdesign and do not need to work on huge pictures and publications. However, if you are in the business of such, I would look for another machine.

I code a lot. I'm usually seen having multiple programs open: sublime, photoshop, visual studio 2012, eclipse, Chrome with 20+ tabs open, and Firefox streaming music. Yet, there is no sign of lag. I hit roughly ~60% memory usage.

Sometimes, I like to sit on my bead and watch streams like Twitch.tv and Youtube. The ultrabook does get a little toasty hot and at times can be too hot for it to lay on your bare legs.

As some users have mentioned, the wifi has some issues, but it's not bad. It can be a simple fix as reconnecting or just sitting closer to the wifi spot.

I'm coming from a Macbook Air and I'll admit the Samsung's trackpad is very good. Although, I will say the Air has a slightly better response. Nevertheless, the trackpad does a mighty fine job and feels really good.

Overall, I love this machine. It has allowed me to program/design on the fly due to its lightness and great battery life. The machine does its job and the 1080p MATTE screen is gorgeous. Photoshop editing is a joy due to the vibrant colors and programming is so much easier as you can have two windows side by side and not suffer from lack of screen real estate. For those holding off due to the 4GB RAM, I completely understand the concern, but it has not been an issue for me yet.
on August 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
This computer is awesome. i have always used 15" screen laptops in the past, then I decided I wanted to check out a MacBook. I loved the size at 13" and screen was perfectly clear, but I ahve learned that I have no patience for thnigs that just don't work when I need them to, for example I couldn't wirelessly print to any of the printers I owed. So along comes this jem. The same screen size, perfectly clear, the lightest laptop I have ever used and a Solid State HDD to boot. I have never used a machine that was so fast. It boots in about 3 seconds, it comes out of hiberantion in about 2 seconds. I am not a fan of Windows 8 by any strech, but I can tolerate it on this. The lighted keyboard is great, the keys are very responsive, movies look good on this and I use it for almost everything.
So want don't I liek about it, the wireless sucks. I have about 6 laptops of varying makes in my house and all of them work flawlessly from anywhere in my house, but this mahcine drops signals faster than it boots. I mean the wireless is really bad, very frustrating and generally gets me mad enought to want to throw it across the room.
But, I love enerything else about it, so I can suffer a little and just better position myself. It really has so many good points and travels light that I enjoy using it, just have to be careful when i'm trying to get an internet connection.
Update 9/3/13:
So in my review I mention the ohorrible WiFi. I finally called Samsung over the Holiday weekend and they were actually there to ehlp me out. I explained my issues and they had me change a few settings and so far...the Wireless is rocking! If this fixes the WiFi issues, then this is the best laptop I have ever owned.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
There have been some issues with the series 9 with wifi, and the trackpad. But not here. Samsung seems to have perfected this little jewel. Touch Pad works flawlessly. There is no touch screen and for good reason. This machine's 1080P matte screen is gorgeous. When I saw it at Best Buy it made everything else look terrible in the store.. including the mac pro retina's. Its that good. Ended up buying here because I wanted the fastest 2.0 i7 and 256GB SSD. Paid 1500 and worth every penny believe me. I got close to 6 hours battery life already doing web and a little you tube. Back lit KB is very nice.. very luxurious looking and I love the feel of the KB as well and can type fast with few mistakes. I think luxurious is the best word for this machine. Everything just works as it should. The precision of the build quality is like nothing I have every seen. The lid closes perfectly and the hinge feels solid yet smooth to operate. The SSD on mine is a liteon and its is very fast. The one thing I worried about was the speakers and they are amazing sounding for how small this ultrabook is. Sure not much bass but very pleasing and not shrill sounding or harsh in any way. Samsung is getting ready to release a ultra hi resolution touch screen version of this and I did not want it because of the glossy screen and its a half pound heavier. Its just crazy that all this packed into a 2.5 lb package. Even the MB air is bulky next to this and it looks dated and cheap next to the top of the line ativ book 9. This is the one to get believe me. It has plenty of storage with the 256GB SSD and has the fastest i7 2.0 that turbos over 3. I've owned 5 other laptops which were mid to high grade consumer class. I always had some issues with all of them. Some I had second doubts after receiving them. Not with the book 9. I have zero second doubts about this purchase. And believe me, at 1500 dollars if anything is out of place I will know it and not be happy.

The only con can say at this time is with W8. But I am customizing that to my liking and actually like what W8 is under the hood. I would not go back to W7. The track pad does fine navigating it and I also bought a MS BT Sculpt comfort Mouse which is a great BT mouse since you don't need to use a USB port. This only has two USB but I really don't fault Samsung for that. There is absolutely no room for more ports. Remember, all this at the impossible weight of 2.5 lbs.
on July 14, 2013
Verified Purchase
Completely satisfied with the purchase of the ATIV book 9. I have been using a 13 inch laptop and this is my first ultrabook.
Pros
- well designed. feels and works like a premium product.
- Extremely lightweight if you have to travel with your laptop.
- Gorgeous full HD display. Images are crisp and clear with good contrast.
- Very good trackpad which registers all the movements accurately. The absence of touchscreen is not felt here. It maybe a personal preference but having a touchscreen on a laptop may not be that helpful (only if it converts to a tablet would it be useful .. like the Lenovo Ideapad).
- Good back lit keyboard.
- Quiet.
- very good battery life. easily went beyond 6 hrs with normal usage (word processing, web browsing etc)

Cons
- Not really a con ... but has bunch of applications pre-installed. You might want to get rid of intellimemory. Its not needed if you have SSD and infact slows down the computer. Dont know why samsung opted for it.
- The battery power adapter pin does not go all the way in the slot of the ultrabook. It sticks out a bit and feels a bit loose. Not really a deal breaker .. it charges fine ** UPDATE ** as some people have mentioned in the comments .. the pin needs to be pushed in with a force and it works
- Because of the thin form factor, VGA port is different and you would need to buy an adapter to connect to external display which uses normal VGA pins. Ideally Samsung should have bundled it in by default.
- if you need lots of ports or you are an avid gamer (casual gaming is fine) .. this may not be the laptop for you.
on September 27, 2013
Samsung ATIV Book 9 NP900X3E-K01US 13.3-Inch Full HD Premium Ultrabook (Mineral Ash Black)
This is my first ultrabook laptop and I'm glad I went with this. I usually change my laptop every 2 years, and this is the best laptop I ever had. The screen is just simply best. I thought 13.3 inch is small, but you won't notice. It feels like 14inch. I'm carrying this around with one hand; it is so light weight!. The process speed is amazing! It picks up internet signal better than my 2 year old laptop and download speed is increased by 1 megabytes or 10 megabits. The touchpad is smooth and tracks well. The material quality seems top notch and it looks very expensive and feels solid. I don't feel anything loose. When you put it on your lap, it feels little warm and comfortable. The fan is quiet and can't feel much air blowing, it's like Toyota engine on parking where you would turn the key again because you can't hear the engine running.

The good:
1920 x 1080 screen, so crystal clear
plenty of light with 40% brightness
great viewing angle
light weight
great with wireless connection (it download faster than my 2 year old laptop)
responsive touchpad
it runs really quiet (can't feel fan blowing air)
responsive keyboard (great for small to mid/large fingers)
portable and thin and stylish
great for college students to professionals
watching youtube and listen to music last 7 hours of battery

The not so good:
speakers is good for laptop but not great (it's good through earphone)
4 GB installed memory (wish they had 8 GB)
No numeric keypad

This is worth every penny of it.
I recommend to anyone who is looking for new laptop.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2013
Pros: Battery life, design, extremely light, amazing matte display, good keyboard, multi-touch gestures, blazing fast ssd.
Cons: Minor issues with touch pad, some settings are hard to find (note: this problem would occur with any windows 8 device so they really aren't cons), no touch screen,cannot upgrade ram(4 gigs is enough for me though)

I would say this laptop fits anyone who wants an extremely portable laptop and can easily slip it into an backpack or carry it around. For someone who wants a top-of-the line ultrabook that is fast, slim, and whose design they can show off because it is flawless. I cannot say enough about the looks of the laptop, especially the display and the back-lit keyboard. Not to mention this thing is fast...
It was expensive but after owning this product for a few weeks I'd say it's worth it because I love it. Check out my full video review here [...]
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2014
I'd been looking at ultrabooks since about 2012 when the Series 9 came out. I particularly hate touchscreens and wanted the best usable, bright screen I could get in a small package. This is a 13" laptop with a 1080p matte screen. Everything coming out is glossy touchscreen which makes them difficult to use.

The X3E seems to be the end of an era kind of ultrabook. I wish it had more than 4GB of RAM but it is fully capable and I've not had any resource issues pushing it. I run a lot of linux VMs in Windows 8 for work and everything works great. The improved touchpad is great, except for Windows 8 related OS issues with touchpad shortcuts. WiFi comes in great, battery life is about 6hrs if you are conservative, and everything *just works*. It is a beautiful system.

If more manufacturers understood that screen quality is #1 in the ultrabook world, I'd bet ultrabooks would still keep up with tablets. For business, we want tools that deliver. This is one.

The X3E gets a lot of attention, often from people asking if it was an Air or Pro. I just smile and show them the screen and they are amazed. I also tell them it weighs half a pound less than an Air at 2.5lbs. Well done, Samsung. Sorry to see you are following the rest of the lemmings and going with glossy touchscreens like all the rest. Touchscreens add weight, eat battery life and generally aren't as bright nor usable outdoors. See the Ativ 9 Plus X3G at 3.06lbs. Please get that quality isn't trendy, Samsung! Give us a Haswell non-touch 1080p+ matte screen in a 13" book with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, and you'll have my money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2014
Verified Purchase
Excelente en todos sus funciones, muy liviana, rápida y el acabado es elegante. La uso para negocios y todos quedan asombrados con la pantalla y el peso. Excelente duración de la batería y no es necesario la pantalla touch es suficiente con el touchpad. La recomiendo para alguien que viaje mucho y necesite una buena maquina con peso reducido. La actualice a WIN 8.1 sin problema.

Excellent in all its functions, very light, quick and finish is elegant. I use it for business and everyone is impressed with the screen and weight. Excellent battery life and touch screen is not necessary with the touchpad is enough. I recommend it for someone who travels a lot and needs a good machine with reduced weight. WIN The upgrade to 8.1 without problem.
on January 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
tittle says it all, boot is super fast, fan is quiet, I can play moderately intensive games 60 FPS like league of legends, the keyboard is good, excelent key travel for being so slim. I really like the FN key lock, comes with a lot of garbage installed, specially samsung's intellimemory which takes a lot of the RAM but can be disabled easily.
on December 7, 2013
Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K04US
This is review for newer model with touchscreen high resolution, Amazon was nice enough to replace it with most recent model.
The unit in solid, stylish, light and quiet, yet strong performance right after box. Actually bought it for my wife for her architectural design and Autocad. The battery life was important to her that's why I stick to Haswel 4th generation Intel , but picture and sound quality is amazing.
The only cons is shallow keyboard otherwise is the best multi-purpose high end windows ultra-laptop in marked as up today 12/4/2013, prepare to pay full price for this badboy !

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations