4.0 out of 5 stars not great, but good enough
pros:
-lightweight
-battery sufficient

cons:
-bad keyboards and touchpad buttons, seriously loose.
-cheap plastic
-dc charger very loose
-only two usb ports
-screen reflection can be too bright
Published 9 months ago by Johnbythebay

3.0 out of 5 stars A budget ultrabook with budget build quality
Published 14 months ago by Marin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A budget ultrabook with budget build quality, August 23, 2013
Samsung is one of the rising companies in this down economy. With the success of their cell phones and television, they have broadened their horizons to ultrabooks and notebooks. This review of the Ativ Book 9 Lite is more like a first impression as I have only played around with it for two days. On the software side of things, it is a Windows 8 computer, which speaks for itself. I am reviewing the unit itself, not the operating system, which is albeit a pretty decent one.
I switched to this from a Macbook Air. The drop off in build quality is quite spectacular. While the Air feels sturdy and very nicely crafted, the same cannot be said for the Ativ 9 Lite. It is all made of plastic and pressing on the wrist portion where the keyboard is you can tell its a pretty big downgrade. The plastic has this sort of give to it, pressing down on it will cause it to flex. It has cheap written all over it. It does have a nice look to it but the same cannot be said for the feel. The one biggest dropoff that I notice is in the touchpad. The touchpad is awful. Truly awful. It has an unsatisfying click, sometimes a right click registers as a left click and it wiggles as you move your fingers around the pad. The material it is made out of is also not very pleasant. While Apples interpretation of a touch pad was the best I've ever used; the Ativ 9 Lite has one of the worst. Vaio and Dell, I feel are both better.
The other disappointment is the screen. Understandably it is not a full hd screen (it runs at 768) but the blacks seem washed out and grey and it is impossible to open the lid without holding the lower portion of the computer down. It feels like a flimsy mechanism when its open, mostly because Samsung allows you to flip open the screen to 180 degrees, which is pretty useless when thinking about the sacrifice made on the sturdiness of the hinges. It's not all bad when it comes to the screen however. Despite its low resolution, it handles colors relatively vibrantly, albeit not black. The brightness is downright blinding and the screen reacts pretty well to light and reflections. It is also a performer when it comes to capacitive touch and reacts pretty accurately, making windows 8 a joy to use. The speakers however are very loud from such a small computer and it runs very quitely.
The battery over all is pretty decent. It lasts about 4 to 6.5 hours depending on the use, with a full charge while not being used from completely drained to full in about 180 minutes. One of my gripes with the power aspect of things comes with the charging port itself. It is very hard to pull out. So if you happen to drag your cable on accident, you'll be assured to know that this laptop is coming down along with it.
On the performance spectrum, the quad core 1.0ghz processor powers the laptop pretty well with 1.4ghz available to you (AMDs equivalent to turbo boost.) It breezes through most tasks although it did take me about 20 minutes to uninstall adobe photoshop software that came with it (not the full version obviously.) While it does perform pretty well, I'm not sure its quite something to admire as even the cheapest Windows 8 computers perform pretty well on the solid windows 8 platform. The Ativ 9 Lite also comes with a lot of bloatware. It's equipped with a 128gb solid state drive that ships out to you with about 60gb available. Norton, adobe, samsung; its chaulk full of this unnecessary "crapware" which was the first thing to go during my use of it and left me with about 75gb of free space to use.
Overall the Ativ 9 Lite is a budget computer and it should be reviewed as such, keeping in mind that the Plus version of it will run you over $600 more. I am a student and was getting sick of running dmg images of programs I needed on Apples platform. I am more comfortable with Windows and prefer it more overall which is the reason I made the switch to this ultrabook. The Ativ 9 Lite is a solid performer with very good looks. It performs day to day tasks with ease, and it is an okay purchase based on what I require from it. I purchased in white and I am happy with the color, as I am sure black will be an absolute fingerprint magnet. I can easily recommend this laptop for a person looking to use Windows 8 that can put aside some of the bells and whistles (does not have backlit keyboard) for an average price of $749, I would tell them to consider this as the go-to budget ultrabook.
If it had a better Touchpad, I can easily give this a 4 out of 5, but as it stands the touchpad is a major component of a laptop and one so poorly executed certainly deserves a deduction of a full star. If the clicking bothers you as much as it does me though, you do have the option of single finger left click and two finger right click which is a lot nicer to use in my humble opinion. I recommend this ultrabook, but not as sure-heartedly as I would want. It gets a 3 out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars not great, but good enough, January 13, 2014
pros:
-lightweight
-battery sufficient

cons:
-bad keyboards and touchpad buttons, seriously loose.
-cheap plastic
-dc charger very loose
-only two usb ports
-screen reflection can be too bright

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, January 24, 2014
I recently bought this computer because i needed and upgrade for college. i love it. it was exactly what i was looking for, its super light so its not a struggle lugging it around campus. i read some other reviews that were not so good which made me a little nervous to buy it..but overall it is an awesome computer and i couldnt be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars works very good, December 27, 2013
labtop has gotten some bad reviews but to me it works very good Only problem i can hear sound is low but for 559.17 i can use head phones

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice ultrabook!, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Samsung ATIV Book 9 Lite NP915S3G-K01US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Mineral Ash Black) (Personal Computers)
The sharp design attracts me so much. The tech part is good enough for me. RAM and SSD are the two major parts for a smooth computer these days as CPU is much better than before. That's why I won't recommend this to ones who expect high performance machine. However, it is more than enough for my daily use.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, October 24, 2013
Came quick, looks good, works great, fair price, well constructed, good design, what I expected, would highly recommend to a friend

1.0 out of 5 stars Never again, December 9, 2013
For $800 laptop it sucks, that sums it up. Only two usb port and quality of the screen is poor and it really performs slow for windows 8.It hesitates every time i watch a video on YouTube or any other video and I know it is not my internet connection because it happens in all the places I take the laptop. I have down graded to windows 7 and that has its own issues. I cannot return the laptop because it was purchased for work but if I had the option I would return it within the first hour.The screen viewing angle is very bad and you can never find a good position. Do more research and buy a better laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vary nice, June 13, 2014
I really like this light weight feather laptop. Thank so much i would recommend to other to buy this computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the keyboard - a lot, October 4, 2014
I like the keyboard - a lot. The construction is good and the size is almost exactly the same size as an iPad, but thicker. The display is OK and the trackpad is too sensitive. The problem is that the system is sluggish. I suggest setting power management to maximum performance to get halfway decent performance. I don't like that memory is not expandable beyond 4GB - 8GB would help improve multitasking and graphics. The Samsung bloatware is annoying as well. The battery life is 4-5 hours of work on "balanced" power.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad graphic chip?, May 29, 2014
It's being sent to Samsung now for repair of what we believe is a bad graphics chip. It flickers constantly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›