Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung NX1000 20.3 Megapixel Mirrorless Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 20 mm - 50 mm - White
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Samsung NX1000 Review -- an excellent value!

*** Update 2014-04-03 - Raised my rating to 5 stars based on my experience over last two years and current pricing. This is simply one of the best values in a camera going. I continue to enjoy mine very much and have even purchased a second (used) when I saw it at a very good price. The NX1000 has truly wonderful image quality and there are many good Samsung lenses to pair with it. The NX3000 is also a good choice if found at a good price. If you need a viewfinder, you can sometimes find an NX20 at a good price since the newer models are out (NX30, NX300, NX3000) and it's a good choice as well. But day in and day out, the NX1000 is hard to beat. The lack of an EVF is the only significant issue for me and I can live without it, if I have to, for the excellent IQ at a bargain price. If you shop carefully, you can sometimes get one at a very good price as well. This camera is solid as a rock and a fantastic instrument that will reward your efforts with some great images. ***

The main things that drew my interest with this camera were the Wifi features (I have a Samsung WB150F and the Wifi features have worked well. I find them useful and convenient, especially the PC-Autobackup which transfers movies and images to your PC), the large APS-C sensor (more image detail), the compact, mirror-less design, and the recent price drops.

The NX1100 will debut with a MSP of $599 (vs. $699 for the NX1000) and comes bundled with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 and some new Wifi features - namely Autoshare. But guess what? Autoshare is available for the NX1000 in the 1.13 firmware update! I already own Adobe Photoshop LR 4, and even with the lower NX1100 price, the NX1000 (basically the same camera) at current prices (340-360) is a great value. Compared to models like the 200/210 it offers the exact same APS-C sensor and is almost identical in image quality and handling. what you are giving up is the AMOLED display, metal body and a few other minor things. (The LCD display on the 1000/1100 is fine, if not quite as good as far as contrast, deep blacks, it is still very usable.)

So...how does the pudding taste? Well, I will admit my overwhelming first impression was "plastic!" - though the build quality seems very good, there is an overall "plasticky" feel to the NX1000. (Thankfully, the tripod thread is metal!) The shutter and other bits are metal as well, including the lens mounts.

I use Panasonic and Olympus cameras, mostly, and even those in this price range have a bit nicer "feel" in that sense But, it's a very high quality plastic and I soon got over it except for the fact that I find the grip a bit slick and could see myself dropping this camera, so I immediately attached the strap. Not a big fan of the strap. It's OK, but I do not like the ring attachments used versus the more usual cloth through metal guides on my other cameras. I find the strap interfering with my grip due to where the attachment rings are located and this is quite annoying. I will probably remove this strap for that reason once I find a case I like. You can work around it, but I just don't like it. (Update: I'm adjusting to this and not as irritating as before.)

While we're quibbling, I'm also not a big fan of the way the Zoom lens "locks" when not in use. It does give a lower profile, but it takes some getting used to, as I've never experienced this design before. Again, a minor thing. Overall appearance is good, it looks like a serious camera. I got the white model and like the "Elvis vibe" it gives off. Also the markings are easy to read, it's comfortable to hold (with the 20-50mm lens) and the recessed mode dial is a nice touch. (It's even better with the awesome 16mm wide angle pancake lens! Much slimmer profile and very easy to hold and shoot with.)

In general, as far as controls, the design is well thought out and Samsung offers some unique and original twists such as the "Fn" and "iFn" control buttons which allow easy access to the main things you'd want to "tweak" when shooting. The controls work well and the "ring/wheel" control works very well. I was a bit skeptical, but in use I really liked it. For example, when flipping through your shots in playback mode it works very well and you can scroll through the images very quickly.

Nice to have the hotshoe, though I have not tried the flash unit supplied yet - will report back on that. Videographers might note that there is an external mike that works with the hotshoe and uses no cables at all, nice!

In general, I find the NX1000 easy to use, the manual focus works well, the Smart mode seems to do fairly well, there are a great many scene modes and other (somewhat gimmicky) features (Magic filters/frames, etc.). I enjoyed playing with those on the WB150F, but they seem out of place here. There are a superb number of image adjustments, exposure tweaks, and controls of a more serious nature as well. When you want to get serious, this camera is ready. Also, some of the fun things, like the Panorama mode, do work well if you understand their limitations and keep your expectations reasonable.

As expected, the APS-C sensor renders a lot of good image detail. This is the big plus for this camera. I was very pleased with the results under good lighting conditions. I shoot a lot of landscape and street stuff, and this camera seems well suited for that. The noise reduction seems to work well up to about 1600 or so (maybe 800 for purists). Colors are accurate and not over-saturated like on many consumer cameras. If you like the "boost" many cameras give by default, there is a "Vivid" mode which will do this for you. Personally, I prefer the more realistic colors (one of the things I like about Olympus and (most) Panasonics as well). Sharpness is good in JPEGs (I have not shot RAW yet) and tones are nice and smooth (think large expanses of blue sky and clouds). I'm sure with experience my results will improve over these initial test shots, so that bodes well. If you like to print big, 16x20, even 20x30 possibly, you will be able to do so, which is very nice.

The 20-50mm kit lens is nice enough, but has a very limited range compared to what I am used to. (I am considering getting the 30mm lens which I think would make a nice compact package for everyday use.) However, the images look good, sharp, detailed, so I am happy with it. Video worked well and the zoom worked fine in video mode and was silent. In casual use, there is no need to switch the dial to video mode, you can just press the Video button on the back and after a slight pause you're in action. This is nice. Of course, dialing to full video mode gives you more options.

Wifi features worked fine, I was able to easily connect and save pics using the autobackup mode. Skydrive and others worked fine. Have not tried the mobile link and remote view finder apps yet. (Update: I tried these apps out and they worked OK for the most part. A bit flaky at times. There is a new "Smart Camera app" to replace these, but it only works with the new firmware. Since I have not yet upgraded the firmware, have not tried it.) The PC_Autobackup mode works very well for transferring pics and movies to your PC. It remembers what has been transferred and only transfers new items. Best to transfer frequently, since slower than reading from a card, but all automatic and very convenient. [You can also transfer photos to your mobile devices (phone/tablet) using the other apps (Mobile Link/Smart Camera).]

Example: You get back from shooting, you activate the PC-Autobackup on the camera (your laptop/PC and network must be on, of course), and the camera will connect and begin transferring your content. When done the camera will turn-off (unless you press a control button within 30 seconds) and you can set the PC to shutdown as well if you like. Or you can select the "open folder" choice on the PC/notenook popup dialog and view your pics and movies. All very easy and convenient.

There is a "Smart Range" feature to extend dynamic range and preserve highlights. It seems to work well, but you lose shadow detail. Might want to turn off by default, I think. (You can also shoot RAW and tweak things yourself, of course.)

JPEGS look very good to me with a lot of detail and sharpness. So good that I think shooting JEPG only is feasible with the NX1000. (You can always switch to RAW or RAW+Jpeg when needed, of course.) I think many will find the Jpegs entirely adequate for most purposes. (If you shoot a lot at high ISO's you would definitely want to shoot RAW.) You have a range of aspect ratios including 1:1, 3:2, and 16:9. This is nice and gives you flexibility in camera versus cropping later.

The 8fps burst mode worked very well, though as has been noted everywhere, there is a lag as the camera processes the shots before you can shoot again. I am a fairly deliberate photographer and don't shoot much action/sports, so the NX1000 is fine for me. The occasional lags when switching modes and after bursts or RAW shots are not an issue for me, but could be for some. It's all covered in many of the excellent online reviews, so I won't dwell on it here. Overall, I found the camera responsive and adequate for my needs.

The LCD screen is bright, colorful and has good resolution. I was pleased with it. I generally favor optical view finders (sorry, I admit to being old school here, you can't beat a good optical VF IMHO) and even EVF in a pinch, but I am getting used to the non-VF style of shooting and the NX1000 LCD is very good in this respect.

In general, I am very pleased with the image quality and the feature set and think this camera is an excellent value at current prices. Many of the features are unique, the Wifi modes are the best I've seen to date, and the APS-C sensor seems to be a good one. It's fairly compact with the 20-50mm kit lens (and would be even more so with the 30mm pancake lens), easy to carry (not heavy), and has all the controls you could ever want. The images are very good and that's the main thing.

I think it's an easy 4 stars for overall quality and especially value for the price paid.

----------------
Update: I recently purchased the Samsung f2.4 16mm wide angle "pancake" lens (Samsung 16mm f/2.4 NX Ultra Wide Pancake Lens (Black)) and it's a great addition to this camera. Wonderful for landscapes and walk-about/street photography. It's the lens I keep on the camera by default now. Quicker auto-focus, faster optics(f2.4 vs f3.5), and a more compact profile. When I have the 16mm lens on the body, I feel this is a 5 star combo. (I am leaving the rating at 4 stars with the kit lens, which is an excellent lens. I just find the 16mm to be the "magic" lens with this body. Very subjective, of course.)

Update: I did not cover video very well above, suffice to say the quality of the video is excellent for a camera in this price range and superior to many, I would guess. It is full HD 30/60 fps. You can Zoom during video shooting and it supports external microphones and stereo sound. All the basics are here and a few pluses as well. You can even use many of the special effects in video mode should you wish to do so. There is a dedicated video button for instant access, and a dial selection for more options. Videos take longer to transfer over wifi due to their size, but do transfer fine. Sound quality id pretty good for a camera of this type, in my opinion. So, if you are traveling, you have both stills and video covered. (I still feel a dedicated video camera and full fledged DSLR are optimal. But I must say, the combo capabilities here are quite fine.)

Video Format: MP4 (H.264), Compression: Movie H.264, Sound AAC
Frame Rate: 60fps (1280 x 720 Only), 30fps (1920 x 1080), 24fps (1920 x 810)
Image Sizes: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 810, 1280 x 720 , 640 x 480, 320x240 for Sharing (Default: 1920 x 1080)
Movie Editing: Still Image Capture, Time Trimming

Update: I did not mention that the kit lens (20-50mm) does not have image stabilization, nor does the body. Has not been a problem for me (I shoot old school, bracing, etc.), but it was a consideration in buying the low cost and excellent 16mm wide angle for this body (very compact and little worries about image stabilization, larger sensor works in favor here) and dedicating this to camera to the wide end, while using my Panasonic G1 for the mid/telephoto range (as I already have excellent lenses for my G1 in this range). I still have the 20-50mm (an excellent lens) in the bag and can switch when needed. The lenses I have already for my G1 are superb, so this works out well for me.

You can buy image stabilized Samsung lenses (like the 18-55mm) if that is a concern. Shooting with the 20-50mm kit lens, I never once had any issues. However, in low light situations, it might come into play. Again, in my case, my G1 and f1.7 20mm would be my preferred choice, but I could get by with the NX1000. It has good image quality at high ISO and even ISO 3200 is usable many times. ISO 1600 is very good and ISO 800 is very clean.

For quick "grab and go" shooting, I continue to enjoy this camera very much.
88 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2012
A very early review as I've only had the camera two days now ... So far, I'm impressed. Size fits the hand well though the stock lens is the biggest part of the camera - however it's nicely balanced. The lens is on the better side for a kit lens. It's sharp throughout and focus is very accurate. Screen is smaller than I'm used to, but that's to be expected when downsizing, but adequate enough to compose your photos. On the cosmetics side, which in white and pink will be a factor in some purchases, the white version I'm sorry to report is mildly 'pearly' rather like the Panasonic Lumix white cameras, but a more plasticized quality than glossy (ok by me). Battery charging is very quick and camera startup quick as well. I did notice on my initial Jpegs that the write speed, dependent upon which settings used, wasn't lightening fast. Quality of the images were very good in Jpeg. I generally utilize Raw files but have yet to attempt those for now. Jpegs were very lifelike if slightly on the dulled side ... a quick drop in Lightroom to adjust contrast, saturation and sharpening proved very fine images possible with very good focus/detail ... I suspect I could adjust some of those qualities inside the camera settings as well, as I said, an early review. I find the resulting photos very film like, with a nice gradient pixel when enlarged. As I couldn't get my hands on one locally to hold/view, I lucked out and ordered online at a huge electronics chain which had them in stock and until August 16th, has it at the unbeatable price of $499 AND available bundled with the 50-200 tele lens for only $49 more! I prefer to purchase my camera equipment at Amazon and would have if it had been available with Amazon and not a outside vendor, but that price break steered me into an early purchase. At full price, I would say it might be a hard sell and decission, but discounted, it's a winner.

* Update ~ I have gotten to use the camera in RAW file mode - I will say the results in Photoshop are quite good. Again, very film-like images. However, I should warn, if you use the Samsung supplied raw converter program, the image quality is NOT the same. Had I only saw the raw images after utilizing that program, I would have been sending the camera back. Do yourself a favor and avoid or at least compare images with processing in both the supplied converter and in Photoshop.
review image review image
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2013
I paid less than $350. With all the quality and tremendous
array of functions and tweaking possibilities it's worth
over $1,500 IMHO
on December 2, 2013
Very happy with my purchase. I researched this camera quite a bit for both quality and price. I am still trying to figure out all the features but the photos are beautiful and I saved over $200 on the Best Buy price for the same item.
on January 15, 2014
Actually was about to buy a $350 Canon camera when I saw this special offer. Only two was left. Saw it for a steal at a brand store new for $199 with 50mm lens etc. Bought the 100mm lens for $99 at a different store. Can't believe I spent less than $300 bucks. Love this camera. Amazon needs to lower price.
on May 28, 2014
I got this for my Girlfriend before our trip to Thailand.

I own many Samsung products, and this is yet another home run.

Portable, high quality, high res video and pictures
Impressive selection of modes
Reasonable substitute for pricey digital cams more angled toward pro photographers

This is basically a pro digital camera designed for the every day consumer at a mid range price

Highly recommended, when we looked at all our pics and vids after our trip we were blown away and even more happy about what we spent on it.
on May 11, 2014
This is my first "real" camera. I bought it to take higher quality photos of my art work. And then turned into a hobbyist photographer.

This camera is great for learning how to shoot quality photos. The price tag is pretty low but it has a wealth of options built in as well as the ability to work with various lenses making it possible to take even more detailed and varied types of pictures.

Great camera for the price.
on April 6, 2016
For the first couple of months I was in love with it. But after getting snagged by its own strap thus causing a couple of tumbles, the 'settings' dial has become wonky and will not stay set, jumping from one to the other in the middle of my picture composing. The battery hatch barely stays shut anymore from re-opening for card removal and battery charging. I baby my electronics pretty well; I'd say these issues are not due to hard use, but instead dont hold up well to normal use. Pros: Light meter is phenomenal and so are built in features. Almost never a flash is needed. In pristine shape, this camera is easily one of my favorites, but it's bulky exterior and knack for bumping into things while travelling on my shoulder, makes it difficult to keep it out of harms way. If I could find a convenient way to use it while wrapped in bubble-wrap, I'd happily buy another. Also, for being a white camera, it resists dirt build up very well. Mine still looks new and I always get compliments and inquiries as to it's brand.
on August 7, 2013
I love this camera, it is everything that I have wanted and more. I love the wifi feature and the fact that I can just upload pics directly to my computer or facebook. So excited to get out and take pics.
on February 19, 2014
I bought this camera several months ago, hoping to substitute it for my Canon EOS XTi when I'm traveling abroad.

I was largely drawn in by the WiFi capabilities. Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the photos, however have found the camera's operating system/firmware to be very weird for a number of reasons:

1. The WiFi feature allows you to post to Facebook or e-mail (along with a couple of other options, none which were that popular). It won't let you store an e-mail address. You have to manually enter it every time... using the wheel. It's awkward. Not only this, but the e-mail option makes you enter the e-mail address BEFORE it connects to the WiFi network. If you are in a place with free public WiFi and aren't absolutely positive that the WiFi will even work, you end up wasting your time...

2. Samsung has a mobile app that you can install on your iPhone (possibly Android too but not sure) that will let you tether the camera to your phone. This is really, really poorly done though because it creates a private network between the two devices and while it is sending a photo to your phone, you can't take more pictures. It can take upwards of 10-20 seconds for a photo to transfer and there's no way to just transfer a whole set of photos to the phone using the app *after* you take them.

3. For some reason, if you are using the tethered feature in #2 and are using the filters mode on the camera, it will send the images to the camera without any filters applied. I've grown really attached to the camera's vignette filter... it looks fantastic... so I was really disappointed when I had my phone tethered and was taking all these great shots of the interior architecture of the New York Public Library and then... oh.... not so pretty shots.

4. The filter mode has two groups of filters, really weird campy ones like placing your photo on a t-shirt or in a corny looking full moon lighting a sea... and then actually useful filters (like vignette) in a second group. The filters mode defaults to the first group... why?? And why are these filters even a thing? When has anyone ever wanted to frame a photo inside of a t-shirt hanging from a clothes line?

5. Lack of Instagram integration. I figured by the time I bought this, in fall 2013, this would be a thing. But sadly it's not.