5.0 out of 5 stars We love this camera
Published 4 months ago by awakenonthefloor

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera, But You Should Buy an SLR instead
On Paper the NX3000 is terrific. It is significantly cheaper than the Samsung NX30 20.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3" AMOLED Touch Screen and EVF (Black) but has the same image sensor and many of the same features. It's also categorized as "compact", implying that you can put it in your pocket or a small case and...
Published 3 months ago by ThunderHammer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this camera, July 12, 2014
awakenonthefloor (Liverpool, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Compact System Camera with 16-50mm OIS Power Zoom Lens and Flash (Black) (Electronics)
With the birth of a new child, my wife and I wanted a camera that would take quality photos, with a fast enough shutter speed to capture all the rapid motions of a newborn. We love this camera. Although we are still figuring out how all the modes and buttons work (we just downloaded the full manual from Samsung) - it is extremely easy to use out of the box. In addition, the fact that you can use the wifi mode to transfer pictures to our phones has made sharing these moments with relatives in other states super-easy. There are some times when the camera refuses to take a picture - but these seem to only happen in very low light. As I said, I am still reading the manual, and can hopefully override this feature. Everyone I have shown it to is impressed with the picture quality, and I am very happy with the purchase.
Two short comments before I forget:
1: I did have to purchase a microSD card to use the camera, as one was not contained in the package I received.
2: When connecting your camera to your PC for firmware update, the microSD card MUST be in place. I tried for ten minutes to connect my camera before I tried to do it with the SD card - as soon as I did that, the camera went into USB mode, and I was able to download updates without trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars The APS-C sensor and NX lenses make this a winner!, July 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Model: Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Compact Zoom and Flash (White)

Pros:
- Superb APS-C sensor delivers excellent image quality
- Good price for a mirrorless ILC with an APS-C sensor and WiFi features
- WiFi features and mobile app are best in class (currently)
- Excellent NX lens line is very reasonably priced, covers all the bases
- Includes Adobe Photoshop Lightroom software ($100+ value)
- Samsung menu system and iFn functions controlled by lens ring are great
- Manual zoom and focus on 20-55mm compact lens is "old school" nice
- Manual focus works better than most cameras in this price range
- Handles well, good auto focus, responsive

Cons:
- No external battery charger included, must charge in camera -- boo!
- Display screen flips but is not articulated (can't rotate)
- TFT LCD display has a low resolution (320x480)

Notes:
- Uses a micro-SD card rather than the more standard SD size. Not an issue, just something to be aware of. Buy a fast card for best results.

I am not wed to any one brand of gear. I look for innovation, quality, value, and performance. And especially, handling. If you are going to carry a camera around and shoot with it all day, it better be comfortable and easy to use or you will quickly grow frustrated. Ideally, the camera disappears and your focus is on the image. The camera is the tool that lets you capture that image.

Samsung is a bit of an upstart, not widely recognized (yet) for their cameras, though that is changing. But they are one of the most innovative manufacturers around, currently, in my opinion. And, they seem to listen and learn from customer feedback. You see continual tweaks and improvements in their line that truly matter and are not just gimmicks. So, if you are wondering if Samsung is a good, reliable, brand, rest easy.

So how did they do with the NX3000? This camera is positioned right in the middle of their enthusiast line. Below the excellent NX300, above the NX-mini. It replaces the NX2000 which featured a touch screen that the NX3000 drops in favor of the more traditional controls (plus the cool, innovative iFn button and lens ring). It is designed to appeal to the casual photographer (the selfie flip screen) as well as the enthusiast (the excellent APS-C sensor and NX lenses!). The price is fair and a good value, though Samsung tends to debut at a bit of a premium. However, you are also getting Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (worth about $100+), so that needs to be kept in mind when comparing prices.

Another bonus you are getting, is the excellent Samsung NX line of lenses. They are, in my opinion, simply the best value for the money available today. All are very reasonably priced and many are outstanding lenses, delivering superb images (I especially love the 16mm f2.4 for landscapes, you can read my review of that lens here on Amazon as well: Samsung NX 16mm f/2.4 Camera Lens (Black)). You can currently get the white version of this lens for $199 which is a very good deal.)

Another great thing about the Samsung line is choice, you have many models to choose from, and many of them share the excellent APS-C sensor I fell in love with when I purchased my NX1000. As many photographers will tell you, when you purchase an ILC (interchangeable lens camera), you are purchasing a system, not just the camera. You will likely eventually spend more on lenses than for the camera itself. So keep that in mind.

The NX3000 is available with a 16-50mm powered OIS Zoom as well as the 20-50mm compact zoom featured on this model. The 16-50mm is the best choice for video, the 20-50mm for light weight and compactness. Both are fine lenses. The 20-50mm on this NX3000 is capable of excellent image quality, especially for a "kit" lens. Although it is not stabilized, I have never had any problems with it and rarely use a tripod, hand-holding nearly all my shots. I have this same lens on my NX1000 and it's a fine lens. It gets excellent marks in all the labs and pro reviews.

Ths NX3000 also features the popular "retro" styling so in vogue these days. It looks nice, has a mostly a plastic body on a metal frame with a faux leather texture that gives a good grip. The Samsung Menus and controls are among the best. All the menus are easy to understand, access and use. And there is the proprietary iFn function button on the 20-50mm lens that lets you use a ring on the lens to very easily select and change important exposure settings. (The iFn control quickly lets you adjust the WB, aperture, shutter speed, EV and ISO range using the lens ring.) It's simply the best system available on any camera today, bar none. Also, the manual focus (again using the lens ring) works better than any other camera in this price range I have used. It's a treat and it's quite easy to get sharp focus using the LCD screen and the MF assist feature, which automatically enlarges the image while focusing. You can also turn on direct manual focus (DMF) so that turning the lens ring engages MF automatically. Great for quick macro work. These features are proof of thoughtful design by Samsung and are things photographers will actually use and love, rather than just bullets padding a feature list.

The camera comes nicely packaged, the lens ships with extra foam padding, a nice touch, and you get a Samsung logo strap, battery, and USB cable in addition to a Quick Reference Guide, a Quick Start guide and the DVD with the Adobe and Samsung software and the full PDF manual.

There is no viewfinder, alas, on these mirrorless wonders, but the TFT LCD screen on offer here is nice, bright, and detailed, though a bit smaller and of much lower resolution (only 320x480) than on the NX300 or NX30. The physical controls are all well positioned and work well. The recessed main dial is nicely designed and very easy to use. There's also a WiFi feature button and the shutter release on top. All smooth, metal, and easily accessible. The usual ring-dial on the back also works well and has a nice feel. With the 20-50mm it all feels well balanced and easy to hold and shoot. The WiFi features are "best in class" throughout the Samsung line and the NX3000 is no exception. (Samsung has been the clear leader in WiFi features.)

The NX3000 uses the same attachable flash as many of the other models. An advantage is no bulky flash in your way unless you need it. Disadvantage is one more thing to keep up with and have handy if needed. I'm fine with it, since most of my shooting does not require flash, and when I need it, it works fine. The display screen is OK, though not nearly as nice as that on the more expensive NX300, or even the older NX1000/1100 (low resolution means text not quite as sharp). It gets the job done, however, and is fine for composing and quick review.

The gem here is the APS-C sensor which is simply superb. It is what made me sit up and take notice when it first came out (and was available cheap on the NX1000). Samsung has continued to tweak it to near perfection. (I very much like that they stayed with this excellent sensor and continued to improve it, rather than switching chips every model.) It gives excellent detail in images and a wonderful nice, overall tone and very natural color. Noise characteristics are very good and you can use ISO's up to 3200 and get very good results. I cannot say enough good things about this sensor. It is the key to the great value on offer here. (When I first shot with my NX1000 and 16mm, and later reviewed the shots after an afternoon shooting at a beautiful local park, I got very excited when I saw how good the images were. It's a wonderful thing to still experience such joy after so many years of shooting. That's when I knew Samsung really had something going with this APS-C sensor.)

I am giving the NX3000 5 stars based on features, performance, and value. I will continue to test and shoot with it and will come back and update this review, as needed.

2014-07-25 Update: Enjoying the smooth tones, great shadow detail, and rich, but natural color with the excellent APS-C sensor. Using the WiFi pcauto-backup feature to transfer pics via WiFi works well as with past Samsung cameras in this line. Shot a little video and it looks very good to me. NX3000 has stereo mics which is nice for that use. Updated the body firmware. Hoping to get out this weekend and shoot a bit more.

2014-07-26 Updated review with some minor edits and additional comments.

2014-08-10 I continue to enjoy and be impressed by this camera. The image quality is the big win here. The APS-C sensor is much larger than most of the other cameras this one would be competing with. Better IQ than the Samsung Mini, better IQ than most high end compacts in its price range. The easy WiFi transfer of images to my laptop is also a nice feature and continues to work well. It's only going to get better as I eventually find time to try out some new NX lenses on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel, family events, or any activity where you don't want to participate through a viewfinder., September 2, 2014
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Samsung NX3000 is the an up to date, feature rich mirrorless compact system camera that supports a variety of lenses. The body is sturdy plastic which makes gives you a lighter weight in exchange somewhat higher quality feel of a metal body. For on the go, I think this is camera is durable enough to withstand all but the worst abuse while not weighing you down and I like the vintage look of the body style.

While I have and use a DSLR for dedicated photo shoots, I have come to like the more casual ease of use, compact size, and smaller lenses that a mirrorless cameras can use by putting the lens much closer to the sensor and remove the complex mirror that supports the for through the lens viewfinder. If you are thinking about a camera for travel, family events, or any other activity that you don't want to be a dedicated photojournalist and still participate in the activity I highly recommend you go this route.

The NX3000 captures images on a 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, no viewfinder is included, shots are taken using the 3-inch flip-up (not down) LCD screen. This flip up design is ideal for taking shots from a lower vantage point, keeping the camera in your lap while watching an event, or for selfies with wink-shot mode. The ISO range of 100-25,600 works great for indoor events that often have poor lighting with low noise up to fairly high ISO settings. With the ability to record 1080p HD movies you can quickly capture all your memories with great detail. The built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) connectivity makes uploading or sharing photos quick and easy and you can use the Samsung app for remote control with live preview.

I found the 5fps continuous shooting and 1/4000th second top shutter speed made it easy to capture some of the best action shots I have taken with any camera and the Sweep Panoramas is included to build a panorama shot in camera for those shots that just don't fit in a single shot. This camera kit includes a 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens with Optical Image Stabilization which greatly improves clarity when you don't have or can't use a tripod. And the included Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 is a great value for tweaking photos once you get them on your computer (Mac or PC).

The lens includes Samsung's standard i-Function button. When using the iFunction mode you can press an easy to access button on the lens barrel which allows you to modify a sub-set of key settings by rotating the focus ring. As you press through the options you can adjust shutter speed and/or aperture, ISO, exposure compensation, and white balance.

The battery is huge, is only charged in the camera via microUSB, and the memory card is MicroSD / MicroSDHC / MicroSDXC. I am personally not a big fan of these as they are too easy to lose if dropped. Fortunately storage size has gone up and price has gone down, so you may not ever need to remove it.

I generally shot in program mode so I can find a set of setting that work for the environment I am in and be assured that most every shot works. However I was very impressed with the Smart Auto system and the rest of the family can easily use the camera just point and click with great results.

If you like you can use all kinds of in camera modes to modify the image, I found these fun to play with but generally don't use them on a regular basis. However I have used some of the post shot editing for redeye fix, backlight adjustment, changing the photo style, resizing, rotating, face retouch and using a couple of the smart filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and Expandable Alternative to Pricier DSLRs, August 22, 2014
S. L. Smith "SansSerif" (Cloud Hidden, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart Compact Camera is a well-priced mirrorless digital alternative to a DSLR. Being mirrorless, it is light enough to carry for long periods, and an array of additional lenses are available. It provides a good deal of digital action, but offers no touch screen capability. Using CMOS instead of CCD keeps the price reasonable, plus batteries may stay charged longer.

Photo quality is quite good - even indoor daytime shots taken without a flash were rich and detailed. There is no built-in flash, but an external flash is included.

6 frames per second can be taken continuously and 20 minutes of video can be taken. The auto-focus is exceptionally reactive and the camera becomes panoramic with just a turn of the mode dial. The i-function allows the lens itself to take on many of the tasks relegated to the body.

The 3-inch LCD "selfie" flip screen is more evidence that the Samsung NX3000 is a friendly, well thought out design. Another bonus is the inclusion of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 on CD.

To take full advantage of all this camera's Wi-Fi options (such as file transfers, turning your smart phone into a remote control, MobileLink, Home Monitor) you will need an NFC-enabled smart phone with beaming on and a few downloads to the phone (the Samsung Smart Camera app and the Samsung Home Monitor). Also, expect to do 1 or 2 software updates as I needed to before using some options such as Samsung Link (the integration app that replaced AllShare Play).

Just a few things are not so appealing. The brown camera body does have a good "period" look, but its feel is rather plastic-y. The charger is quite so; combined with its light weight it feels cheap. And the "Quick Start" documentation is quite poorly arranged and insufficient. Even when I went to the Samsung site I could not get the information I wanted within the first 3 or 4 searches. Woe to the beginner who dutifully follows the "Getting Started" instructions by charging the battery before actually inserting it into the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Prosumer Photo and Video Camera Worth Considering. Samsung "NX 3000": A Critical Review., August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an amazing...absolutely amazing camera and if you own other *recent* Samsung products, this will indubitably work its way in your Samsung curriculum.

***
Right off the bat, I have to say, this is only the written part of the review that I have to post but I also have more than 45 minutes of raw footage taken with the camera and some footage showing the camera itself and its features to be edited and uploaded. The biggest issue is that since this is a 20MP camera the resolution of the images as well as the video clips take up a lot of room but Amazon's complete video limit is only 100MB. So, I will have to degrade the high resolution clips and edit the length in order to accommodate the limits. The full, unedited version will be posted on YouTube.

*** Features/ Samsung's ecosystem integration ***

This camera, like almost all of Samsung's offerings for the past 2 years is feature-rich.

I have both the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.) and like these devices, you have so many app's and functions built in that it's almost impossible to think of something you'd be in need of.

You can connect to--in my case the Note 3 phone and the Note 10.1 tablet from this camera just by pushing the "Mobile" Button. And, transferring files by using the "NFC."

This looks like a traditional film camera but this is completely digital even down to the micro sd card slot and the micro usb charge port.

*** Features ***

This, for the money, maybe overkill if you want just a good camera with decent spec's without breaking the bank. I have my very trusty Canon Powershot A590 (which I still love) but use primarily for taking reference photos or the rare video shoot if I don't have anything else handy. And, I have an old Flip Mino HD, which I use for these video reviews because the 720 images I get from it is very good although it seems to be nearing the end of its life cycle. The Samsung seems to bridge the best of the Canon and the Flip. But, if you have a good phablet phone, like a Note 3 or the HTC One 8--you'll most likely not reach for this NX 3000 unless you have an intentional need for better pictures and video.

The set features:

* Camera body
* Internal rechargeable battery
* 16-50mm lens (digital lens)
* Quick Start & Quick Reference Guide
* Adapter cable
* Camera strap
* Flash

(The camera set is missing a case which I think should have been included considering the price.)

* A disk of Adobe Lightroom

The camera's internal features:

* HDMI port (left side)
* USB (micro) usb port (left side)
* Battery compartment & SD card compartment (bottom)
* tripod mount (bottom)
* recording indicator lights (top)
* Mobile button (top)
* Power button (top)
* Shutter button (top)
* Hot Shoe (top)
* Mode Dial (top)
* Microphone
* Video Record button (back)
* Fn button - "Smart Panel" access key (back)
* Menu/ Shooting Modes dial (back)
* Flip Up Display (back)

The camera is really lightweight considering what it does. The motor is extremely fast.

This camera will most likely appeal to professional photographers as well.

This camera also has standard features such as:

* Image Stabilization
* ISO & White Balance settings and "Metering"
* Minimum shutter speed in addition to photo and video editing features like Photo size, Photo Quality, Picture Wizard (filter effects), Smart Filter, Face Detection Framing Mode

I just mentioned that the camera's motor is very fast and relatively silent. You also have a choice of shooting in the Continuous, Burst, Timer or Bracket shooting modes.

** There's also a "Dynamic Range" feature where the camera automatically adjusts details hidden in shadows.

For video, you have the ability to:
* Select video resolution
* Movie quality
* Playback speed of the movie clip
* Add a fade effect (fade in or fade out) to a clip
* Adjust or edit the video sound.

*** Really cool features ***

If that wasn't enough, you can send your files via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (NFC) to other Samsung or Android devices that have that option built into their OS. But, when connected to the Wi-Fi, you can also send your files to a cloud-based service like Dropbox or Box or even Google Drive. (I think Samsung and Google still are offering a 1-time storage gift of 1 Terrabyte of storage if you buy a Samsung product this year. But, it's only good for just one Samsung product.)

There is a lot to this camera and even with 45 minutes of unedited video to process, there's still features that I need to find a purpose for. But, that's the fun part about it.

As I mentioned, the camera set should have come with some kind of protective case, but it didn't. I'd also would have liked if Samsung had provide some kind of screen protector for the Pop Up display--because of the potential damage to that exposed glass.

All in all, this camera is still a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung NX3000 Compact Camera System, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm just a casual photographer- I don't really know an f-stop from an f-bomb, so I need simple, but I like my pictures to look great, like someone who knows what she's doing took the pictures. I keep thinking that someday, I'm going to learn how to take pictures for real. This camera is right up my alley- it has lots of features I can use if I want to, but it's pretty simple to operate as a point-and-shoot, which is how I snap. It gives me room to grow as a photographer.

The NX3000 is intuitive and straightforward to get it taking and sharing pictures. It doesn't come with a memory card, though. At least mine didn't, so bear that in mind if you're looking to buy this camera. Pick up one of the little teeny-tiny micro memory cards to go with it. Also, I chose to trick out my NX3000 with a wrist strap and one of those lens caps on a leash. So far, I'm really happy with this camera, its interface, and the pictures it takes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous little camera!, August 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This camera is fabulous! It takes a GREAT photo - I have been very pleased with the quality of the shots that it produces. It has many features (I haven't even explored all of them) that I'm thoroughly enjoying. One of my favorites on the preset settings is a "kid" shot which is several photos in a burst at one time. Makes it much easier to capture a great picture of an active child! The wireless option is also very cool! In less than a couple minutes (after downloading the free app for my iPhone) I was able to send photos from my camera to my phone and upload to Instagram. That is a feature that I will enjoy using. One thing worth mentioning is that the camera does NOT come with a flash card for the pictures - I did need to purchase my own micro SD card. I am thoroughly enjoying my new camera and am super pleased with the photo quality that it is producing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an Amazing Camera. Let me tell you why., June 21, 2014
I have dealt with many cameras during my lifetime. Either doing professional photos or fun personal pictures, I know what I'm dealing with. With the Samsung NX3000, since I been reading about the NX2000, I knew it was going to be a good camera. It takes amazing quality pictures. With the option of 20.3 MP, the images will have a lot of color and detail to them. It comes with many options, including with the improved smart options that allows the camera to take pictures for different scenes. For example, there is one smart mode for fireworks that allows pictures about fireworks to look amazing. The camera is easy to learn and honestly I recommend it a lot to people who does not want to spend a lot for a DSLR camera or get a no good cheap camera. This camera specs are like mid entry when compared to DSLR cameras. So you knowing your getting something that take pictures close to high end DSLR cameras. I do really recommend this camera. It is honestly a good deal. Also you get a copy of the latest Adobe Lightroom, which is a big plus. So anyone in the business of getting a smart camera, I would recommend this to you and to anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 25, 2014
Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera EVER!!!, October 24, 2014
I have been watching this camera for over a month trying to decide whether to buy it, which I'm so glad I did. I absolutely love it. I got a the amazon basics tripod to go with it and a camera bag from USA Gear and I'm all set. The camera can remotely take pictures from the samsung app on any smart phone which makes my new tripod super easy to use! This was my birthday gift to myself and it's amazing!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›