5.0 out of 5 stars We love this camera

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow autofocus in low light - jpeg images look smeared
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this camera, July 12, 2014
awakenonthefloor (Liverpool, NY United States) - See all my reviews
With the birth of a new child, my wife and I wanted a camera that would take quality photos, with a fast enough shutter speed to capture all the rapid motions of a newborn. We love this camera. Although we are still figuring out how all the modes and buttons work (we just downloaded the full manual from Samsung) - it is extremely easy to use out of the box. In addition, the fact that you can use the wifi mode to transfer pictures to our phones has made sharing these moments with relatives in other states super-easy. There are some times when the camera refuses to take a picture - but these seem to only happen in very low light. As I said, I am still reading the manual, and can hopefully override this feature. Everyone I have shown it to is impressed with the picture quality, and I am very happy with the purchase.
Two short comments before I forget:
1: I did have to purchase a microSD card to use the camera, as one was not contained in the package I received.
2: When connecting your camera to your PC for firmware update, the microSD card MUST be in place. I tried for ten minutes to connect my camera before I tried to do it with the SD card - as soon as I did that, the camera went into USB mode, and I was able to download updates without trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars The APS-C sensor and NX lenses make this a winner!, July 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Model: Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Compact Zoom and Flash (White)

Pros:
- Superb APS-C sensor delivers excellent image quality
- Good price for a mirrorless ILC with an APS-C sensor and WiFi features
- WiFi features and mobile app are best in class (currently)
- Excellent NX lens line is very reasonably priced, covers all the bases
- Includes Adobe Photoshop Lightroom software ($100+ value)
- Samsung menu system and iFn functions controlled by lens ring are great
- Manual zoom and focus on 20-55mm compact lens is "old school" nice
- Manual focus works better than most cameras in this price range
- Handles well, good auto focus, responsive

Cons:
- No external battery charger included, must charge in camera -- boo!
(External charger and battery is available, but expensive: Samsung ED-AK4NXM01/US Extra Battery and Charging Cradle for NX Mini and NX3000 (Black))
- Display screen flips but is not articulated (can't rotate)
- TFT LCD display has a low resolution (320x480)

Notes:
- Uses a micro-SD card rather than the more standard SD size. Not an issue, just something to be aware of. Buy a fast card for best results.

I am not wed to any one brand of gear. I look for innovation, quality, value, and performance. And especially, handling. If you are going to carry a camera around and shoot with it all day, it better be comfortable and easy to use or you will quickly grow frustrated. Ideally, the camera disappears and your focus is on the image. The camera is the tool that lets you capture that image.

Samsung is a bit of an upstart, not widely recognized (yet) for their cameras, though that is changing. But they are one of the most innovative manufacturers around, currently, in my opinion. And, they seem to listen and learn from customer feedback. You see continual tweaks and improvements in their line that truly matter and are not just gimmicks. So, if you are wondering if Samsung is a good, reliable, brand, rest easy.

So how did they do with the NX3000? This camera is positioned right in the middle of their enthusiast line. Below the excellent NX300, above the NX-mini. It replaces the NX2000 which featured a touch screen that the NX3000 drops in favor of the more traditional controls (plus the cool, innovative iFn button and lens ring). It is designed to appeal to the casual photographer (the selfie flip screen) as well as the enthusiast (the excellent APS-C sensor and NX lenses!). The price is fair and a good value, though Samsung tends to debut at a bit of a premium (update: price has dropped now). However, you are also getting Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (worth about $100+), so that needs to be kept in mind when comparing prices.

Another bonus you are getting, is the excellent Samsung NX line of lenses. They are, in my opinion, simply the best value for the money available today. All are very reasonably priced and many are outstanding lenses, delivering superb images (I especially love the 16mm f2.4 for landscapes, you can read my review of that lens here on Amazon as well: Samsung NX 16mm f/2.4 Camera Lens (Black)). You can currently get the white version of this lens for $199 which is a very good deal.)

Another great thing about the Samsung line is choice, you have many models to choose from, and many of them share the excellent APS-C sensor I fell in love with when I purchased my NX1000. As many photographers will tell you, when you purchase an ILC (interchangeable lens camera), you are purchasing a system, not just the camera. You will likely eventually spend more on lenses than for the camera itself. So keep that in mind.

The NX3000 is available with a 16-50mm powered OIS Zoom as well as the 20-50mm compact zoom featured on this model. The 16-50mm is the best choice for video, the 20-50mm for light weight and compactness. Both are fine lenses. The 20-50mm on this NX3000 is capable of excellent image quality, especially for a "kit" lens. Although it is not stabilized, I have never had any problems with it and rarely use a tripod, hand-holding nearly all my shots. I have this same lens on my NX1000 and it's a fine lens. It gets excellent marks in all the labs and pro reviews.

Ths NX3000 also features the popular "retro" styling so in vogue these days. It looks nice, has a mostly a plastic body on a metal frame with a faux leather texture that gives a good grip. The Samsung Menus and controls are among the best. All the menus are easy to understand, access and use. And there is the proprietary iFn function button on the 20-50mm lens that lets you use a ring on the lens to very easily select and change important exposure settings. (The iFn control quickly lets you adjust the WB, aperture, shutter speed, EV and ISO range using the lens ring.) It's simply the best system available on any camera today, bar none. Also, the manual focus (again using the lens ring) works better than any other camera in this price range I have used. It's a treat and it's quite easy to get sharp focus using the LCD screen and the MF assist feature, which automatically enlarges the image while focusing. You can also turn on direct manual focus (DMF) so that turning the lens ring engages MF automatically. Great for quick macro work. These features are proof of thoughtful design by Samsung and are things photographers will actually use and love, rather than just bullets padding a feature list.

The camera comes nicely packaged, the lens ships with extra foam padding, a nice touch, and you get a Samsung logo strap, battery, and USB cable in addition to a Quick Reference Guide, a Quick Start guide and the DVD with the Adobe and Samsung software and the full PDF manual.

There is no viewfinder, alas, on these mirrorless wonders, but the TFT LCD screen on offer here is nice, bright, and detailed, though a bit smaller and of much lower resolution (only 320x480) than on the NX300 or NX30. The physical controls are all well positioned and work well. The recessed main dial is nicely designed and very easy to use. There's also a WiFi feature button and the shutter release on top. All smooth, metal, and easily accessible. The usual ring-dial on the back also works well and has a nice feel. With the 20-50mm it all feels well balanced and easy to hold and shoot. The WiFi features are "best in class" throughout the Samsung line and the NX3000 is no exception. (Samsung has been the clear leader in WiFi features.)

The NX3000 uses the same attachable flash as many of the other models. An advantage is no bulky flash in your way unless you need it. Disadvantage is one more thing to keep up with and have handy if needed. I'm fine with it, since most of my shooting does not require flash, and when I need it, it works fine. The display screen is OK, though not nearly as nice as that on the more expensive NX300, or even the older NX1000/1100 (low resolution means text not quite as sharp). It gets the job done, however, and is fine for composing and quick review.

The gem here is the APS-C sensor which is simply superb. It is what made me sit up and take notice when it first came out (and was available cheap on the NX1000). Samsung has continued to tweak it to near perfection. (I very much like that they stayed with this excellent sensor and continued to improve it, rather than switching chips every model.) It gives excellent detail in images and a wonderful nice, overall tone and very natural color. Noise characteristics are very good and you can use ISO's up to 3200 and get very good results. I cannot say enough good things about this sensor. It is the key to the great value on offer here. (When I first shot with my NX1000 and 16mm, and later reviewed the shots after an afternoon shooting at a beautiful local park, I got very excited when I saw how good the images were. It's a wonderful thing to still experience such joy after so many years of shooting. That's when I knew Samsung really had something going with this APS-C sensor.)

I am giving the NX3000 5 stars based on features, performance, and value. I will continue to test and shoot with it and will come back and update this review, as needed.

2014-07-25 Update: Enjoying the smooth tones, great shadow detail, and rich, but natural color with the excellent APS-C sensor. Using the WiFi pcauto-backup feature to transfer pics via WiFi works well as with past Samsung cameras in this line. Shot a little video and it looks very good to me. NX3000 has stereo mics which is nice for that use. Updated the body firmware. Hoping to get out this weekend and shoot a bit more.

2014-07-26 Updated review with some minor edits and additional comments.

2014-08-10 I continue to enjoy and be impressed by this camera. The image quality is the big win here. The APS-C sensor is much larger than most of the other cameras this one would be competing with. Better IQ than the Samsung Mini, better IQ than most high end compacts in its price range. The easy WiFi transfer of images to my laptop is also a nice feature and continues to work well. It's only going to get better as I eventually find time to try out some new NX lenses on it!

2014-12-13 Update: I continue to enjoy this excellent camera. Noise levels are good to ISO 3200, if printing small (4x6) maybe even to 6400. (Some images will print bigger depending on subjects, exposure, etc.). JPEGS are simply excellent, so I find little need to even shoot RAW much of the time. A big time saver.

The excellent line of NX lenses is a big plus, it means it will be hard to "out grow" this camera (although if you shoot a lot of action, the NX300 and NX30 are much better having faster burst modes). Great dynamic range, colors, sharpness and low noise in images - what's not to love?

The video is acceptable, if not great, but the still images are stellar.

2015 Jan update: With the excellent 16mm f2.4 wide angle pancake lens, this make a very compact camera that can deliver some outstanding images, especially landscapes. Still loving it! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel, family events, or any activity where you don't want to participate through a viewfinder., September 2, 2014
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Samsung NX3000 is the an up to date, feature rich mirrorless compact system camera that supports a variety of lenses. The body is sturdy plastic which makes gives you a lighter weight in exchange somewhat higher quality feel of a metal body. For on the go, I think this is camera is durable enough to withstand all but the worst abuse while not weighing you down and I like the vintage look of the body style.

While I have and use a DSLR for dedicated photo shoots, I have come to like the more casual ease of use, compact size, and smaller lenses that a mirrorless cameras can use by putting the lens much closer to the sensor and remove the complex mirror that supports the for through the lens viewfinder. If you are thinking about a camera for travel, family events, or any other activity that you don't want to be a dedicated photojournalist and still participate in the activity I highly recommend you go this route.

The NX3000 captures images on a 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, no viewfinder is included, shots are taken using the 3-inch flip-up (not down) LCD screen. This flip up design is ideal for taking shots from a lower vantage point, keeping the camera in your lap while watching an event, or for selfies with wink-shot mode. The ISO range of 100-25,600 works great for indoor events that often have poor lighting with low noise up to fairly high ISO settings. With the ability to record 1080p HD movies you can quickly capture all your memories with great detail. The built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) connectivity makes uploading or sharing photos quick and easy and you can use the Samsung app for remote control with live preview.

I found the 5fps continuous shooting and 1/4000th second top shutter speed made it easy to capture some of the best action shots I have taken with any camera and the Sweep Panoramas is included to build a panorama shot in camera for those shots that just don't fit in a single shot. This camera kit includes a 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens with Optical Image Stabilization which greatly improves clarity when you don't have or can't use a tripod. And the included Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 is a great value for tweaking photos once you get them on your computer (Mac or PC).

The lens includes Samsung's standard i-Function button. When using the iFunction mode you can press an easy to access button on the lens barrel which allows you to modify a sub-set of key settings by rotating the focus ring. As you press through the options you can adjust shutter speed and/or aperture, ISO, exposure compensation, and white balance.

The battery is huge, is only charged in the camera via microUSB, and the memory card is MicroSD / MicroSDHC / MicroSDXC. I am personally not a big fan of these as they are too easy to lose if dropped. Fortunately storage size has gone up and price has gone down, so you may not ever need to remove it.

I generally shot in program mode so I can find a set of setting that work for the environment I am in and be assured that most every shot works. However I was very impressed with the Smart Auto system and the rest of the family can easily use the camera just point and click with great results.

If you like you can use all kinds of in camera modes to modify the image, I found these fun to play with but generally don't use them on a regular basis. However I have used some of the post shot editing for redeye fix, backlight adjustment, changing the photo style, resizing, rotating, face retouch and using a couple of the smart filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far this has been a good start for a variety of reasons, December 30, 2014
About me: Many years ago, I was a reporter who took a lot of photos (mostly b/w) for work using a totally manual film camera (Minolta SRT). Then I had a tiny Nikon point-and-shoot that I used to produce some decent pictures, based mostly on composition and editing software. Finally I decided to invest in a mirrorless camera, to see if I could get something approaching the quality of a traditional camera in a smaller size. So far I've only been working in digital rather than printing anything.

Why Samsung NX3000? I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching mirrorless cameras and came close to buying a Panasonic (either GM1 or GX7). Possibly I may end up switching to another brand, but so far this has been a good start for a variety of reasons:

1) Large sensor size. (A friend who used to work for a photography magazine insisted that was really important.)

2) Although there are not as many different lenses for this camera as there are for other brands, the lenses that do exist received high ratings from camera magazines/blogs and seemed generally much more reasonable than some other lenses. (The 16-55mm kit lens has been fine, but so far I really love the 16mm prime - it's tiny, has a wider f-stop, and seems to have a bit better quality than the kit lens. I'm just ordered the 30mm prime and am planning to buy the 50-200mm zoom as well.)

3) The cell phone battery lasts for a very long time. I am buying an extra battery just in case, but I doubt I will need it.

4) I've used the camera in a variety of different modes, and generally it produces quite good photos regardless.

5) I haven't used the flash at all yet, but the availability of the hotshoe to use a variety of different flash attachments rather than being committed to only a pop-up flash makes me feel somewhat more comfortable. (If I planned to use a flash routinely, not having a pop-up flash available might be frustrating though.)

6) The camera has a classic feeling (reminding me of my old huge manual camera) and seems fairly easy to hold still when taking pictures.

7) $350 including the 16-55mm kit lens was a very good price compared to other cameras with similar capabilities.

Downsides:

1) Compared to a point-and-shoot, it feels really large even with a pancake lens on it. The Panasonic GM1 apparently is only a little smaller, so my fantasy that tiny cameras can be quality cameras may not quite be reality.

2) I think I would have preferred having a standard memory card, or at least having the needed micro card included. I ordered the wrong size card through Amazon and then had to go shopping before I could use the camera.

3) The main feature that the camera does not include is a viewfinder, which seems to add at least a few hundred dollars (and some extra bulk) to any camera. I decided to try a camera without a viewfinder to see if I missed it. And I do miss it, especially when the lighting is problematic. On the other hand, the camera seems to be quite good at autofocusing and I can generally see the screen well enough to compose the shot. So I think that it's good enough for now.

4) I thought that the selfie feature would allow me to take photos of myself in front of landmarks without having to ask for assistance from strangers, but this is really not the case. A wide-angle lens (such as 16mm) distorts human faces enough to make people very unattractive, and anything less wide will not allow the face and background to fit into the frame. So that is not a reason to buy this camera, in my opinion.

One thing that I found difficult was choosing an appropriate bag. I currently am using the following bag, which is large enough to hold the camera and kit lens; a few more lenses (the kit lens and two pancakes); the flash; an extra battery and memory card; and a few filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a DSLR, February 4, 2015
It is like having a DSLR but so much smaller. Even with my large hands it feels comfortable. The interface with Samsung phones and tablets is a great way to use the camera and share the photos. The lightening deal was absolutely fantastic, couldn't believe I was fortunate enough to catch one. The lens is easy to use, manually or zoom and the auto focus is very fast. Battery life is really good (about 400 photos half with flash), The included software and the downloads make this such a versatile camera that I have purchased the 50-200 mm zoom, a speed light and my daughter uses it for product photography. I realize this isn't a very helpful review for techies. The wireless transfer of photos to my laptop is simple but rather time consuming vs a cable or via the micro memory card but it sure is simple. the lens cap is tiny but easy to put into a pocket and I bought a screw on filter to protect the lens (just like my first Minolta back in 1976) Excellent color reproduction, the include flash is very good, quick and convenient to use or to leave in your bag. The menu is easy to understand and pretty much the same as my Nikon Coolpix 520. I dont subscribe to the Selfie phenom, guess Im not that obsessed with images of me, but the camera preforms as well as my past SLR from a Minolta to a Nikon 6006.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes great pictures, August 8, 2014
Jen (Lebanon, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this camera! Pictures look great with vivid colors and great lighting, even when taken indoors. From macro pictures to action shots, this camera has a wide range of features. I love taking macro shots of my garden flowers and pictures of my dog playing in the park. There is an “auto” option for the novice photographer as well as advanced options for those with photography knowledge. For me, this means I can have my mom take pictures easily when needed by just switching it to auto. I am really looking forward to taking this camera along on our next family trip.

While I do love the NX3000, there are a few things that could be perfected. First, the included USB cable is maybe a foot long. Samsung says to only use that one to charge the camera, yet it’s too short for practical use. I’ve been using the USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the camera to my computer and it has charged just fine that way (so far). Second is the strap. The NX3000 comes with a neck strap, and while the strap itself is fine, I would have liked if it wasn’t as difficult to remove. The strap makes it awkward when I sit the camera on my desk for transferring pictures or charging. It’s not a big deal, just a slight annoyance.

The NX3000 has a built in NFC tag for easy connection to compatible devices, though it takes a minute or two to connect. The only camera-to-smartphone feature worthwhile (in my opinion) is copying pictures, which makes it easier to share photos with friends and family. The NX3000 can also connect to your wireless network and send photos to your computer as long as the software is installed and running. The program does not hog system resources, but it does pop up every time the camera is connected via USB (which I find annoying).

The NX3000 comes bundled with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5. I honestly have not used the program because it looks far too clunky and dark (the interface is black and grey). I used a previous edition of Photoshop and did not like it (for one, it crashed a lot), so I am not a fan. If you like Photoshop, it does come with the camera. The camera is great and I highly recommend it, just not the software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boasts strong image quality and well-implemented Wi-Fi., December 12, 2014
This Samsung boasts strong image quality and well-implemented Wi-Fi features, but it's a little slow to lock it's focus.

Pro's are:
- Compact.
- Sharp kit lens.
- Tilting rear display
- Built-in Wi-Fi functionality

Con's are:
- A little slow to focus.
- No built-in flash.
- Dedicated battery charger not included.

As a decent compact you can't go wrong with this samsung but you may want to look at this Sony before making a decision: http://amzn.to/1vJHmZd

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow autofocus in low light - jpeg images look smeared, December 13, 2014
I'm not sure why the 4 1/2 stars overall rating on this. Coming from a Canon EOS Rebel T3 (and that's becoming an ancient model), it does not produce the image quality & autofocus is slow in low light. I like to shoot in jpeg, & I think Samsung tries to overprocess the images & leaves them smeared-looking. Theoretically it should have the same image quality since it's an APS size sensor. I don't think I would like this camera even coming from a point & shoot, b/c I've had point & shoots that didn't leave the images looking so smeared. Too bad. I was really wanting the DSLR image quality & performance in a smaller package, b/c I get this impression that people are a little annoyed by a non-professional carrying around a DSLR. I am definitely not a professional. I'm just a mom who wants quality pictures of my family & events, that only a DSLR can produce. If you're like me, keep looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, crisp photos from a very compact camera, December 26, 2014
So far I have no complaints for this camera. It is amazingly light and compact, yet takes photos comparable to the ones I take with my much bulkier EOS 7D. The lenses are easy to interchange and compact/travel friendly as well. The selling point for me was it's connectivity. It is easily wirelessly connected to your cell phone (with free app) and you can use your phone to take photos remotely and review the photo as well as transfer photos. For tips on how to use the wireless features, there are some helpful youtube videos.
ALSO, a VERY VERY nice feature is that the charger for the camera is the SAME as a phone charger (micro USB, I have a droid). It makes it sooo much easier to charge, especially because I can use the car charger while I'm travelling and camping. Great job Samsung!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an Amazing Camera. Let me tell you why., June 21, 2014
I have dealt with many cameras during my lifetime. Either doing professional photos or fun personal pictures, I know what I'm dealing with. With the Samsung NX3000, since I been reading about the NX2000, I knew it was going to be a good camera. It takes amazing quality pictures. With the option of 20.3 MP, the images will have a lot of color and detail to them. It comes with many options, including with the improved smart options that allows the camera to take pictures for different scenes. For example, there is one smart mode for fireworks that allows pictures about fireworks to look amazing. The camera is easy to learn and honestly I recommend it a lot to people who does not want to spend a lot for a DSLR camera or get a no good cheap camera. This camera specs are like mid entry when compared to DSLR cameras. So you knowing your getting something that take pictures close to high end DSLR cameras. I do really recommend this camera. It is honestly a good deal. Also you get a copy of the latest Adobe Lightroom, which is a big plus. So anyone in the business of getting a smart camera, I would recommend this to you and to anyone else.