- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Samsung PN50C490 50-Inch 720p Plasma 3D HDTV
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Mega Dynamic Contrast
- E3-panel single filter design
- Exceeds ENERGY STAR Standards
- Game Mode
- Clear Image Panel
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Also Shopped For
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Read about our customers' top-rated TVs on our reviews pages: TV Reviews, 4K TV Reviews, LED TV Reviews, Plasma TV Reviews, and Smart TV Reviews. Shop our popular TV brands: LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and VIZIO.
Top Customer Reviews
We feed it HD service from DirecTV and it looks stunning. Realistic colors and very dark blacks, no ghosting on sports (it is a plasma after all), and we love the upgrade in the size (30" to 50") as viewed from 12-15 feet away in bed. The 2D picture quality beats the old CRT and even our main DLP set in the family room. DirecTV has a few 3D channels, so those were demoed immediately. The X-Games replay looked awesome. I think most sports are recorded in 720p anyway, so there was no loss of quality on this 720p set. I was able to watch the football games this weekend in a pseudo 3D upscale (I'm calling it 2.5D). It certainly did something to the picture, and I liked it. It really added some depth that made the game more enjoyable to watch. Not quite as good as a proper 3D broadcast or actually being there in person, but given the little bit of 3D programming available, the 2.5D conversion was pretty impressive and worked on demand.
No eye strain noticed when wearing the glasses as I was able to watch 3 hours of football without issue. Waiting for the PS3 firmware update to try some 3D Blu-rays on this set, but I don't think that there will be any issues in the 720p versus 1080p resolutions. I'll try to post an update on PS3 3D gaming impressions as well (which Sony limits to 720p anyway). Overall, I am VERY impressed with the 2D quality of this set.Read more ›
Secondly, we think about energy-efficiency. From power specifications available online, we calculate how much energy would be saved if we buy LCD/LED rather than this plasma. We find the purchase price to be paid for LCD/LED is much higher than the energy-cost we would save, even for 10 years!Read more ›
This tv provides several ways to watch HD content other than blu ray disk (like a 720 or 1080 video from a hd camcorder, or a blu ray rip, etc.):
1. HTPC connected via the VGA port or HDMI port. I tried the VGA port connected to a PC. The tv display native 1360x768 resolution and the image is clear, sharp, and rich in color. So it's like a PC monitor but lot bigger. HD content played on it looks great. With an HTPC you can play like everything, but the drawback is you have to have two pieces of hardware setup and running and sometime things get complicated and not really suitable for the wife (no offense). Other similar options include the various HD media players on the market such as the boxee box. But again two pieces of hardware.
Update: I compared the video quality of the same files (some randome HD content of the HDTV capture, HD camera clips, as well as HD movie rips) between PC-VGA-TV playback and the TV's build in Media Play playback (as detailed below), the TV's media play always result in better quality, clearer, sharper, and more colorful image, better contrast, etc. Apparently when using PC to play the video, it often depends on the software used for the playback, which could be fine tuned but require time and effort; on the other hand the TV's own playback function seems to be optimized already for any formats that it can recognize.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great purchase beautiful picture and good sound over all a very good TVPublished 18 months ago by michael wischoff
First of all let me say that all the positive reviews are correct!
I purchased this same TV from Crutchfield's "Scratch and Dent" Dept for $639. Read more
This 3D tv is great I had it for 5 months already... I have a 3d samsung blu ray player BD-c6900 1080p series.. and the 3d looks absolutely stunning. Read morePublished on May 17, 2011 by ONE PIECE
This is my Review for the Samsung PN50C490 50-Inch 720p Plasma 3D HDTV. After purchasing this television I was a bit skeptical about getting a large ticket item from Amazon. Read morePublished on May 4, 2011 by Patrick R. Anglade
I have had this 3DTV for a couple of months and I will say I love it.. The 720P looks at least as good as the 1020P . Blu-rays look crisp and clear with great color. Read morePublished on May 1, 2011 by DAB777
I purchased this tv to REPLACE the exact brand & model that my Son bought in December. The December TV was 'broken' - we thought by his 3 yr old son. Read morePublished on April 19, 2011 by Granmama