5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best HDTVs I've ever watched/purchased
Let me start by saying that I'm running this HDTV with a PS3 Slim (for BluRay, gaming and HD video content) and a Sony STR-DG 820 7.1 surround sound setup.

Pros:

Rich Blacks
Fantastic color reproduction on many films I tested*
wealth of options in the menu system
600hz as opposed to 60/120/240 with LCD or LED sets
great price for...
Published on May 23, 2012 by ViBu

2.0 out of 5 stars Great picture but unforgivable white noise
Published 22 months ago by D. Petersen

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best HDTVs I've ever watched/purchased, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung PN51E530 51-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)

Pros:

Rich Blacks
Fantastic color reproduction on many films I tested*
wealth of options in the menu system
600hz as opposed to 60/120/240 with LCD or LED sets
great price for the size and quality.
Easy setup

Cons:

Some content didn't display quite as brightly as our 42inch Samsung LCD set until the display was adjusted.
Composite and Component can't be used at the same time. It's one or the other, not both.

I've owned and viewed some really good HDTV sets over the years and this set is among the best. There are three display settings, Standard (which sucks), Movie and Dynamic. I'm running the set using the Dynamic setting, although I also enjoyed the Movie settings too. Dynamic gives better brightness and a bump up in color saturation, but the Movie setting gave very warm color representation if not so bright. I've increased the brightness to about 60 to compensate for the default dull look of the screen on default settings and I increased the sharpness by 10. *These changes in combination with the Dynamic display setting gave much better results. But it's when I changed some of the HDMI output settings on the PS3 in combination with these changes when the quality of the display reached among the best in class that I've ever viewed.

Video games also look great on the set as I've tested quite a few. Dragons Dogma, Super Stardust, Killzone3, Dark Souls...all looked and ran great. You should have no problems there.

I didn't mention the speakers on this set mainly because I never use the default speakers on any HDTV I purchase. I've always run sound through HDMI using my 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound setup depending on which room the HDTV is going into. High fidelity displays with mediocre sound is not a great way to enjoy HD content. Better to just invest in a decent surround sound setup.

Overall, this is a great HDTV set that I highly recommend especially for the price and size. I've seen some really good LED HDTVs at similar sizes and great quality but if you're funds aren't that extensive and you want a large HDTV with a fantastic screen for a great price...Look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, April 10, 2012
Set-up is easy. The picture quality is excellent. For built in speakers the sound is reasonably good. Overall I am extremely pleased with this TV. I do however have one minor issue. It is advertised as having "2 USB inputs, 1 component input, 1 composite input". I needed the component input for a DVD player and the composite input for an old VCR. The composite input uses a subset of the component input jacks. So it has 1 component input OR 1 composite input, not both at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Large Screen TV - Love it!, September 24, 2012
I purchased this TV from Best Buy after MUCH agony on which TV - Plasma? LED? LCD? Smart? 3-D? After four trips to Best Buy (and changing my mind about 5 times), I went with this one. Less than $1,000 and 4 out of 5 sales people at BB recommended Plasma over LED for true, rich colors and less motion blur. It seemed way too big when we first got it home, but soon adjusted to the size. Absolutely gorgeous color and sharp picture once we got an HD box and I played with TV settings. It is so easy on the eyes, which my husband and I both LOVE. You can clearly see so much on the screen and some scenes literally take your breath away, they are so stunning. I did purchase a 4 year warranty, so I am ready to kick back and enjoy this TV. There is glare from lighting, so I prefer to pull the drapes when viewing in day time; other than that, no complaints at all. I purchased a 'smart blu-ray player' and decided we didn't need a sound bar, as the sound is clear and more than acceptable. No regrets at all with my first HD large screen TV.Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great TV for the minimalist's out there!, December 4, 2012
Let me get this out of the way first, this TV does not have all the bells and whistles, so if that is what you're looking for, go elsewhere. No 3D, not internet, and only 2 HDMI ports, 1 component hookup, and one USB port. That being said, none of this bothers me, and here's why: I only have my cable box (HD components), XBOX (HDMI), and DVD player (HDMI) hooked up to it. I have nothing else, nor will I probably need anything else. If I do, I could always purchase a HDMI switch box. I don't have a need or use for 3D, in my humble opinion it is a useless technology in it's current state. I also do not need a "Smart" TV. My XBOX does everything I would need or want a smart TV to do. Again, if you were looking for a set that was all your hopes and dreams in one, this is not it. However, if you're a minimalist like myself, this is a great set for the money. Sure, there are others out there in the size and feature range for a bit cheaper, but I prefer Samsungs, *shrugs*. The picture quality on this TV is great, dark colors are very nice (upside of plasma) and everything else vibrant. Personally, for larger size screens plasma is the way to go, for now. LED/LCD will catch up soon, but it's not there... YET. That's another discussion and debate however. Like I have said, for the money this TV is great for what it is. The negatives are nit picky items, I wish the stand was glass rather than sheet metal and plastic, my 50inch Sammy that this one is replacing had a nice stand, but the one it comes with does the job, but it doesn't swivel like the other one did, no biggy. Also, like all the Samsungs I have owned, the speakers leave much to be desired. It seems the thinner TV's get now a days, the worse the speakers get. It makes sense, but at the same time I miss the blaring sound that would come out of the old school CRT set top TV's a quarter of the size of these new ones. Oh well, a good sound bar or theater system solves that. All together, I would rate the TV a solid 4.5 stars for the speakers and stand quality, we will round it to 5 stars because I feel for what is is, the TV is a bargain for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best TV but maybe the best value., June 8, 2012
Rather than listing the many pros, I'll just list the cons as I see them...

Sharpness on the low side for a plasma, and boosting the sharpness produces artifacts.
Color Tone presets favor the cool side. Warm 2 (the warmest choice) is actually neutral on better sets.
When black levels are set to get deep blacks, shadow detail is nearly completely lost.
Highlight detail is not as good as other plasmas and very blown out compared to good LCD/LED sets.
Significant trailing and some ghosting despite the claimed 600hz refresh rate.
Color booming at times, especially reds.
And this is a strange one and my biggest gripe...
Whenever there is a picture that is predominately bright or white, the entire picture goes to a dim, flat gray. This is really annoying and I've never seen this before in any set. Does anyone else notice this?

UPDATE:
Just wanted to mention that I bought this TV from amazon when it was $850. It's currently $630 and at this price it's a steal! I have changed my rating to 4 stars due to this price reduction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great picture but unforgivable white noise, September 3, 2012
D. Petersen (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this TV at best buy for 699 which is a great price for a TV that looks this good. There are two things that made me return it in the end though that you should consider. First, I had it in a room with lots of windows and white walls which you can't do. This TV reflects all ambient light and dark blacks are worthless if you can see your reflection in them. I avoided watching it during the day and all lights had to be out to watch it at night. The second problem with the TV was a horrible buzzing noise that it made constantly. It was a white noise emanating from the screen itself that felt like it was in my head. Two people I told about it could hear it clearly and two couldn't so just keep that in mind if you are sensitive to high frequency noises. I realize that most plasmas buzz but it should not be this audible and could not be covered up by the sound of the movie. It just buzzed over the audio no matter what volume. These are the compromises that you must make buying what is probably the cheapest flatscreen hdtv above 50 inches plasma or otherwise. In the end I returned it and my ln46d630 is on the way. I'll give up a few inches of screen and the plasma contrast/refresh rate to not have to deal with these annoyances.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Very First HDTV with Both Good and Bad News, November 30, 2012
I ordered the Samsung Plasma TV on November 18 and received it on the afternoon of November 26. Thanks to my friend who happens to also own a Samsung Plasma HDTV, I was able to purchase this guy for $847.99. Otherwise, I would have missed the deal. I invited him over to help with assembling a credenza (Techcraft TCL6228 - also ordered from Amazon)and placement of the TV. Once all was said and done, everything looked beautiful. The credenza and TV are a perfect match in my opinion. I fired up the TV along with my Playstation 3 and Xbox using HDMI. I enjoyed gorgeous HDTV, Blu-ray, HDDVD, Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, and pretty much any content I could throw at it. The color saturation, contrast, rich blacks, and sharpness were fantastic even for this nearsighted guy. Shoot, even the static, before I had any content on the screen, looked good on this TV. :-) I use only antenna for TV and was very pleased with the video quality. So, this went on for about 3.5 days until my TV gave out on me. It was a hard week at work and I just wanted to come home to some sweet HDTV, but was greeted with a blank screen. The TV flickers on and off like it's trying to come on, but nothing is displayed on the screen. I attempted to do some basic troubleshooting (changed power strips, power cords, outlets, and even let the TV sit for a while, disconnected from any power source) to no avail. I called Samsung technical support and spoke to a tech for about an hour. We didn't get anywhere of course and she referred me to a local TV tech. He's going to place an order for a power supply. Once it arrives, he'll schedule an appointment to come out and perform the repairs. To my dismay, the shiny, new HDTV sits atop my credenza collecting dust during the peak of college football season. I hope that everyone who owns this set takes heed. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Samsung Plasma, but didn't expect it to fail in only a few days. All I can do now is just wait and dream of being able to watch HDTV again. Tune in for an update once my power supply is replaced. Thanks for taking the time to read my review. Would have given a rating of 5 stars, but needed to take one away because of a malfunction. :-(

Update 12/12/12 -

Work order to have the TV repaired was placed on November 30. Two Samsung Techs in a white van showed up on December 5. Didn't have to take any leave from work since they were flexible enough to come out around 5 PM. They promptly laid the TV on its face over a blanket to prevent any damage to the screen. The back panel was removed and after running some diagnostics, it was determined that the main board had malfunctioned due to some unknown reason (could have been a factory defect). They replaced the main board (this is where all the inputs are located - HDMI, USB, etc) and closed everything back up, plugged the TV to the power source, and voila! The TV came back to life. Just hope nobody else experiences this SNAFU. Enjoy your new HDTVs.

My settings if anybody is interested -

Picture

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Native
White Balance - (all set to 25)
Flesh Tone - 0

Side Gray - Light

Setup
Game Mode - Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice picture!, September 14, 2012
I will say that this product is well worth the small bucks spent. If you want a great picture without all the smart stuff, buy this TV. You want the smart stuff, buy a blu ray with smart stuff and viola you got it. Speakers are okay, but like someone else stated earlier, you need to have a seperate sound system to watch hdtv. Just got this hooked up and will be watching a blu ray disk tonight. Further reviews to follow, but so far, so great!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plasma for the price, March 30, 2013
Arrived with only one pixel not emitting color. I ran a full calibration blu ray disc and it did very well on the tests and once dialed in has a great picture. I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma and this unit handled the grayscaling and other various tests a little better. Definetly needs adjusted out of the box. Only has two hdmi inputs but picked a Kinivo 501BN switch, so not a problem. Sound is OK, like most flat panels nothing to get excited over. Like most set ups, it will be hooked to a suround sound system so sound is a non issue. For the budget price this is a good plasma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, May 24, 2013
I was skeptical of ordering something this large online, however the experience was wonderful. They delivery guys were total professionals, had it up and running in less than 10 minutes. The picture is A W E S O M E. Take the advice of former reviewers and adjust the settings a little bit. Great purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies