5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tv so far....
Changing my review to 5 stars... This thing is used easily 14 hours a day with our family profile. It looks as great as the day i bought it 5 months ago...

Published on October 9, 2011 by Jeeves

3.0 out of 5 stars While operational, it was great!
I found the feature set of this hdtv just the ticket for what I was looking for. I was looking for a thin bodied hdtv for bluray and hi-def sports viewing, basically a no frills, quality hdtv viewing experience.

Published on July 11, 2011 by Zornaphile

3.0 out of 5 stars While operational, it was great!, July 11, 2011

With 2 hdmi ports, a usb port, ybr connections, and a coaxial input, I give a thumbs up to connectivity (some might need more hdmi inputs, but I'm happy with two).

The picture quality is fantastic, very nice deep blacks, and no image flicker to speak of. The 600hz refresh rate produces a beautiful, full and detailed image.

I found the tv user interface to be straight forward, easy to learn, and easy to use. The menu is very soft on the eyes, and is no ways invasive or annoying.
Even the tv volume indicator is well thought out; the readout bar appears vertically on the left side of the screen (which does not block subtitles or sports programming with bottom scrolling tickers) and displays just long enough to view the output yet disappears quickly as to not disturb program viewing.

As for the negatives, there where only two to speak of...
The first being an auto volume leveling feature which reduces those high volume commercials as compared to main programming. This was a feature I was very glad to see included in this set, yet ultimately was disappointing because I could not tell the difference when this feature was turned on or off.

The second negative is a doozy though. Unfortunately, my set died after 6 days of use. The set shut itself off, and would not come back to life.
Hopefully, this is just a lemon that fizzed out, and not a reflection of the quality of the product.

If this hdtv worked without incident for 5 years, I would give it a five star review. But for now, as it stands, I am skeptical that the replacement of this unit will live through it's one year warranty. I hope I am wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tv so far...., October 9, 2011
Jeeves (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews

Update: It's now been over a month, and I am still happy. Picture is great, brightness and contrast are excellent! Internal speakers are weak, but I have a surround system anyway. Still loving this thing for the price...

We bought this TV 2 weeks ago and so far so good... I bought the extended warranty just in case. For picture quality all I can say is WOW!!!! Gorgeous!!! A bit limited on input ports but has enough for me. It does give off a bit of heat, but all plasmas seem to do that. My last Samsung DLP lasted 5 years before the bulb went out. Trusting for similar reliability here. The screen is high gloss so some glare problems can exist, depends on your room, and light and window placement...

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Specs but Great Picture, June 18, 2011
The technical specifications listed on the Samsung website for this TV are completely misleading and incorrect. The website claims there are (2) USB ports in reality there is only (1). Website claims that there are (2) component video inputs in reality there is only (1). Website claims there is a PC input and audio mini jack input in reality there is none. I contacted Samsung directly to address the issue. They reviewed a picture of the back of this TV & also looked at their website and agreed. They had no explanation for the misleading specs and would not commit to making any changes to the website.

That being said, the picture quality is great, the best I've seen. So if you don't care about misleading manufacturer specs and only need a few inputs, buy this TV. Otherwise I would invest my money elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, December 5, 2011
I'll start off with saying this tv was FANTASTIC during its first few weeks. Colors were vibrant, sharp, and vivid. However, after about a month of viewing a greenish hue began at the bottom left of the screen (took up maybe 8 square inches, 4 inches across x 2 inches high). Eventually, this grew upwards to the top 3/4 of the tv. Here's where the nightmare began. I called Samsungs customer service (I am still under warranty but past the return policy of where I bought it) and they issued a repair ticket in which I was told I would be contacted by a repair service within 48 hours. 2 weeks later, I get a call from a repair man asking to schedule an appointment. The repairman replaced the panel and the main board 1.5 weeks after his call, but to no avail. He told me to wait a couple weeks to see if it improves. It didn't. I called Samsung back and requested a replacement but they said they won't replace it and could only send out another repairman. So, I requested another repairman to fix it, but received an e-mail that there was no one in the area that could fix it and to call Samsung back to request a replacement (I'm quite frustrated at this point). I call them back and the FINALLY acknowledge my replacement request and said I would get a credit at the store where I originally purchased it (I'll comment on this if this doesn't go smoothly).

This is the biggest headache I've ever had to deal with regarding customer service. I know Samsung has it in them to make good products, but now I'll never know. This is the last Samsung product I will buy. I will stick to LG/Panasonic for my technology/appliance needs.

Pros:
+Good picture while it lasted
+Menus are intuitive and easy to use
+Burn in protection is nice
+Remote is straightforward

Cons:
-Picture degraded and developed greenish hue
-Bad Sound (pretty typical with this type of TV)
-Image Retention. It does disappear but it stuck around longer than other TV's and was harder to get rid of
-Samsung Customer Service is terrible
-Samsung Customer Service is terrible
-Samsung Customer Service is TERRIBLE.

Feel free to comment if you have questions and I'll try to answer back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 4 months., January 24, 2012
We received this TV as a replacement for our old plasma that died (amazing TV, sad to see it die.) Unfortunately we didn't have time to research the TV before accepting it as a replacement. The picture quality and sound on this television were very good. We were pleasantly surprised having not owned a Samsung TV, especially with the sound. The only negative was being limited to two HDMI ports, but that's not a make-or-break issue.

However, after four months the unit spontaneously shut itself off and then would not power up again. Numerous other reviews reported similar problems. A tech came out to replace one of the boards, but that did not solve the issue. Now we are awaiting replacement of the plasma panel. Hopefully this solves the issue, we will see. Thankfully we had an extended warranty. I would not recommend buying this product.

UPDATE: Replacing the plasma screen did solve the issue. Sadly, the second screen only lasted an additional month before a horizontal line of pixels failed about 5 inches from the top of the screen. To date we are on our third plasma panel, second set of control boards, and second screen bezel (which now has a short so the "Menu" button now functions as the "Power" button). All the repairs have been covered under our service plan, but I am beside myself with the lack of quality from Samsung. The only "original" parts left in the TV are the speakers and stand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated.. Failed after one year.., January 9, 2012
Purchased mine at the end of October 2011, and still loving it!! Upgraded from a Sanyo 42" 1080p LCD that we have used since 2008. Was unsure about the Plasma because of all the "Screen Burn" issues. Not really a big deal, just have pay a bit more attention to what your doing than you would w/ an LCD.

I ONLY watch television and movies on this TV. No video games. After watching a movie (and believe me, we watch TONS) there is a bit of the black bars retained on the top and bottom of the screen, but simply switching to TV and letting it play on a channel w/ no reception (SNOW) for about three minutes cleans the retention right up. Watched four football games on it last weekend and never worried about the stat bars causing any burn in as the commercials were more than enough of a change to protect the screen. No big deal.

What you gain with this Plasma is an INCREDIBLE picture. Makes my LCD look terrible by comparison. The picture is WAAAAYYY sharper. The blacks are really black. My LCD the blacks were always kinda grey. Not something I ever really noticed until I got this television.

Noticed the reviews here and from B*st B*y prior to my purchase. But also noticed on the other stores reviews that prior to October the reviews for this TV were terrible. After October 2011 the reviews were almost all 5 stars. I am in the automotive repair business myself and it seems to me that Samsung had a bad run on power supplies and relays on the sets built sold in the months prior to last October (2011). I see the same thing in cars. Bad parts in the supply chain.

But, that being said, I love mine. Sad to say, but with the economy being as bad as it is, we stay home and watch a lot of movies. So my set gets about 30 hours or more a week use. Love every minute. Hope you do too!!

Update>>>> May 5th, 2012

Just thought I would check in and am happy to report that this tv is still out-performing it's price tag.... :)

Update>>>> Finally failed October 2012. Would not turn on anymore.. Replaced w/ a larger Panasonic Plasma..

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk., September 11, 2011
Chai Uan (Sandusky, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This TV lasted about 14 days before it would no longer power on. Yes, 14 days. It has been 21 days since I placed my warranty claim. Nothing has been done yet. The warranty service is terrible. I'm writing this review while I'm on hold with customer service. I've been on hold for 30 minutes. A terrible, terrible experience. It's one thing for the TV not to work. It's another thing to completely fail to provide service for a TV that was manufactured in the spring of this year. I would never buy another Samsung product.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!!!!TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE BEWARE TV BROKE, January 4, 2012
Bought model PN51D530A3FXZA from Best Buy back in Sept 2011. Yesterday on 12/27/11 while watching TV the screen suddenly just went off. Tried turning it on but no picture only audio. Looked closer and discovered under the front glass there were two internal spider cracks on the screen. There is no external damage. I've read up on this and seems like a common issue Samsung tries to side step responsibility time after time again. I've taken VIDEO of the TV which PROVES that there is no external damage and a TECH is supposed to come by sometime to verify but from reading other posts seems like the techs side with SAMSUNG. Maybe its from how hot the screens get, gasses, who knows but it wasn't due to mishandling by myself or anyone else. I've been a loyal customer with Samsung TV's for years and this is my first ever issue which I hope SAMSUNG will stand up and do the right thing as a Multimillion dollar thriving company should for their paying customers when it's obviously a manufacturing issue and a common one and they know it happens. For some reason I cant post the link to my youtube video but I will happily send to a SAMSUNG CS head. If SAMSUNG still denies from the video and technician I'd like to have head from SAMSUNG come to my house and PROVE it is not a internal issue. One of the worst things is when you pay hard earned full price money for a product and get something inferior in return and basically told by that company Tough Luck or word is everything and your word means crap even if you have HARD proof. I just want it fixed or replaced with a friendly smile.
************UPDATE 1/4/12
So SAMSUNG is trying to deny that the cause is internal and that I caused the cracks in the TV..But yet they offer to pay for replacement parts as long as I pay for labor which is a few hundred bucks. Clearly SAMSUNG knows that the problem is internal then why even offer to pay for replacement parts. I refuse to have to pay another dime especially for labor on a product that is only 4 months old and still under warranty. I even offered to ship the TV for SAMSUNG to look at and they refused. They never sent a tech in person to look at anything. One of the head CS said that the TV's are actually designed not to show damage on the screen externally and its very possible it was caused by physical mishandling where the internal screen would be damage. Are these guys kidding me what kind of sense does that make. So you design a TV Screen so the external screen is protected but does not protect the screen inetrnally. That's about the dumbest logic ever. Thats like buying a car and u get in a accident where the car's exterior is 100% fine but yet the inside of the car is all kinds of messed up. This is proof along with the HUNDREDS of other same complaints that SAMSUNG who I once considered a FLAGSHIP company operates their customer service like a FLY BY NIGHT paper bag operated corporation. Not only will I be contacting the BETTER BUSINESS BUERAU (which by the way everyone who has this same issue should do) I guess they didn't realize from my email I sent them after they wanted pictures that I work for a WORLD WIDE Major TV network so this will be going around. I will mobilize a class action suit. EVERYONE WHO HAS THIS ISSUE contact me ASAP to build the suit. To think I was once a huge supporter of SAMSUNG products and choose them over SONY, PANASONIC and the other top of the line companies.

HERE is a LINK to MANY OTHER CUSTOMERS WITH THE SAME ISSUE!!! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plasma TV, August 22, 2011
Its been 2 months since I had this TV. So far so good. Great TV with excellent picture quality. I love the slim edge of this TV. I still need to calibrate it to make the picture quality better. Overall great!

Pros:

Great picture quality
Samsung
Great looking

Cons:
Only 2 HDMI ports (not an issue for me as I have a reciever)
Sound quality is bit poor at high volume (not an issue for as I have a home theatre :))

1.0 out of 5 stars Died in one month!!!!, February 29, 2012
Purchased this set through Vanns. I recieved it February 3rd, and it worked great until February 29th. Now it just makes a few clicking noises and won't turn on. Believe the negative reviews and stay away if you want to avoid a hassle.

Rate and Discover Movies