4.0 out of 5 stars Great music player for mobile use.
I bought the Samsung Muse to have a compact music player for working out and doing household chores since my Note 2 is too large to be active and carry around.

Published 16 months ago by Brian

2.0 out of 5 stars No playlist support, impossible to use while exercising
First the good points...
The Muse is near weightless. It's very small and compact. The feature that enables you to sync songs directly from your phone to the Muse is cool (more on that later), but best of all, you can sync music in multiple ways, through Samsung Kies and through simple Windows folder copy/paste or drag and drop. It can't get easier than that...
Published 19 months ago by Adam D'agosto

2.0 out of 5 stars No playlist support, impossible to use while exercising, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Muse 4GB MP3 Player Optimized for Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, Note and Note 2 Smartphones (Pebble Blue) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First the good points...

Now for the not-so-stellar points...
First, the Muse, a 4 GIG devise has NO playlist support. NO PLAYLIST SUPPORT!!! This was a deal breaker for me. Essentially you have a single 4 GB playlist, thanks....Really???

Second, the Samsung Muse is advertised as a devise that you can take with you when you exercise, jogging, biking, whatever, right? DEAD WRONG!! Sorry. The devise has NO tactile buttons, so unless you stop what you're doing, hit the right button (first wait for it to wake up because it goes into standby mode after 3 seconds), you're just going to have a real hard time adjusting the volume or skipping songs. So, as far as it being a good devise for workouts, maybe weight training where there are built-in breaks in the routine would be best. I road and mountain bike. I tried it, I was dangerous!!

Third, the feature that allows you to sync directly from your phone to the Muse is cool, but in practice, borderline useless. Here's why. The connection is made with a small USB cable. Without it, there's no way to get music from phone to devise. So, you now need to carry around this little cable. Well if you can do that, you're probably in a very controlled relaxed setting, like your desk where you're either going to use your phone as a player or simply use your computer as the transfer tool. Everyone is different and you might find a better use for this feature, but I found it to be impractical. What would be REALLY cool is if the Muse was a little bigger and had Bluetooth connection with your phone. Now they'd be cooking with gas!! Short of that, I'd design in a retractable USB plug on the Muse itself. Think "turtle head poking out" on the Muse would be a USB port that connects with the phone. I know that analogy will conjure up the wrong image, but it works :)

Fourth, the Samsung Muse app that goes on your phone needs a lot of work. The music management feature is problematic. This was not a big problem for me as I used Samsung Kies to transfer the music most often.

Fifth, Samsung does not support this devise. Getting help is impossible. In fact, Samsung should be ashamed. If you call into the direct Samsung system, most people have no idea the unit even exists. I was eventually able to get connecting with the Muse Support Group and they never returned my repeated emails looking for help.

So, I returned the unit back to Amazon within 30 days. I unfortunately will now shop for the iPod shuffle and get stuck using iTunes, but at least I know it will work and I'll be able to select playlists at 25 mph!!

With some improvements this unit could really be great. They have some work to do, but for now I give it a generous 2 Stars. Good luck everyone!!

Adam

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music player for mobile use., May 6, 2013

I read the reviews on Amazon and Cnet about how there was no playlist support and having to skip through every song on the player to find a specific song, but when I thought about how I would use it, it made perfect sense. Using the Muse App I was able to sequence my music by grouping together an artist's albums and singles and putting similar artists after them.
The design and compactness of the Muse is what sold me. Having the ability to also use music from Itunes was a plus. The sound quality is great and the volume level is amazing for such a small device. The only negative is that when the player goes to sleep after an extended amount of time it can be hard to wake it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to your Samsung phone, January 20, 2013
I like to listen to music and podcasts while I'm working out or working in the house and garden. The Samsung Muse is great for these things as it's small, easy to load with programming and has great battery life. I've used several different MP3 players in the past. Each has had drawbacks and nice features. I'm very pleased with my Samsung Muse as it has enough capacity to hold what I need, and yet is small and unobtrusive.

Setting up the Muse was easy. The Kies application for transferring music from my computer isn't the most user-friendly app, but it works. Transferring music from my Skyrocket S2, and from my wife's S3 was very easy using the Muse app. All you have to do is check the songs you want, and they transfer very quickly. The included PC and phone transfer cables are small and easy to lose, so I taped mine together and keep them in my box with other phone accessories.

Using the controls takes a bit of practice, as with every small MP3 player. The buttons can be a bit sensitive. A hold mode that automatically kicks in does alleviate this some. The included earbuds provide good clear sound, and surprisingly good bass in the enhanced mode. The clip is sturdy and holds on even when I'm running.

I like this product a lot. It's a great addition to your phone, and perfect for those times when the extra weight and size of the phone makes the phone impractical for use.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT... (shhhhh...I got myself 3), August 14, 2013
I don't have an ipod and I didn't think I bought one when I bought the Muse. But I'M HAPPY AND SATISFIED with my purchases. Seller had it ridiculously cheap and that helped with my happy feelings.

I have one con: the Samsung App for use with this device is region specific. So have to wait for my return to the US to download.

The music sounds great, especially with Sound Alive.

Battery life is good. I've been playing it for 7 straight hours since fully charging it. Manual (off samsung.com) says there's a multi-color notification using the LED... and "red" means over an hour of use. The manual states instructions to change if not in use for a long period to prevent damage to battery.

Reviewers complained that there was no playlist, but it wasn't a secret. I agree with reviewer who said that you won't load an mp3 player with music you don't like. So I chose my "happy music" and loaded it up - John Legend, Adele, Machel, Bunji, Buju, Whitney.... as varied as you can get. And when walking, any song would keep me energized!!! I just bought my THIRD Muse...a white to put strictly religious music so I can listen on Sabbath or as needed. The manual states that you can't determine how songs are actually saved on the device - so don't even try to upload in a particular order.

I love the size. I can close my fist over it.

Once connected to my S3, it shows up as an external storage device that I can copy-paste the songs too. Without the special app. I found it was very fast process.

There are three (3) buttons you need: On/off; Hold (prevents or allows the surface from responding to touch); Straight/shuffle. I had it for an afternoon and it was easy to remember location and operate.

Read the product description and decide if it's for you! My daughter saw it and I clipped it on the neck of her jersey...I had to beg back for it half hour later. Maybe another Muse is in order, for Mozart and stories for her...hmmmm (I'm very concerned with ear damage if she abuses the volume)

On the face of the player there are five (5) options... very intuitive in my opinion: increase volume at the top, decrease volume at the bottom, skip forward on the right, go back on the left, at the centre play/pause. If you put hold on, none of these will be active to touch while exercising.

Yes, a little pouch to keep attachments would be nice. But you can keep in drawer or those larger chewing gum containers. Since I will be keeping at least 2 of the 3 I purchased, I will keep one set in office desk at work, ditto at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small look, Big Sound!!, January 20, 2013
I recently received the Muse 4G mp3 player by Samsung. At first glance, I was drawn by the size and style of the unit. It's a compact device with a big sound. The Muse is designed to work with both the Samsung Galaxy and Note mobile devices.
The compact unit has a storage capacity of 4GB for six hours of music playing. The Muse also includes a built-in clip that can be attached to your clothing. On the front of the device you will find your front volume controls, shuffle, skip, pause, and go back buttons. There is an option for shuffle and continuous play with this handy little device. The best thing about the Muse is the ability to directly transfer your music from your Galaxy device to the Muse. The Muse is very user friendly and files are transferred quickly. However, because the device doesn't have a screen there is no option to personally select track for track.
In conclusion, for the price of $49.99 the 4GB Muse is great alternative to listening to your music, a small package with great sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 29, 2013
this little guys works perfectly. the app works well too, so syncing is a snap. the battery lasts forever. the buttons do take some getting used to but after a couple of days i was fine with the set up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Muse, tech support needs improvement, January 20, 2013
I really enjoy this MP3 player. I like how lightweight it is for morning walks and how I can plug it into the aux jack in my van to listen to music on the go or use it with my S3 phone.

I have music in several formats (MP3, wma) and this can play everything I have put on it so far. You can transfer music from your computer by either installing the Kies program, copy and paste or drag and drop. You can transfer music from your phone to the Muse by installing the Muse Sync app. Super simple.

I cannot say enough good things about the MP3 player, I like the size the sound quality - especially the SoundAlive feature, that it has a sturdy clip for attaching it to your clothing, I really like it! I know 4 gb may not seem like much space for music to some but it suits my needs.

The only downfall for the Muse is the support from Samsung. I called technical support with a question and no one knew who I should speak to. I started in the accessories department, I got transferred to cell phones (since it can plug into a cell phone), then the android support department and then yet another department. The first three people I spoke with asked me what a "Muse" is - they did not know. Finally the fourth person was able to assist me.

I really like the Muse but I would suggest if you ever have a question about it try a search engine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Portable!, January 20, 2013
Having never owned an MP3 player, this little device was a dream come true. Previously, I used my phone to listen to music when traveling as my husband can not listen to the radio while driving and it was inconvenient when I needed to switch to phone calls and GPS. Now I use this little device to listen to my hearts content. Set up was super easy and quick and I was able to get it up and running quickly using the easy directions provided. The unit is small and portable but has a powerful sound quality. File transfers are fast and and the battery life is good. I do miss having the playlist display to choose songs but the shuffle allows a good variety. The controls take a little getting used to and are sensitive but once you learn where they are you get used to it. The earbuds included fit well and keep the sound contained where it belongs. The clip is sturdy and allows the unit to be placed where you need it. This is a great little unit for someone who hasn't had a lot of experience with an MP3 player and doesn't need a huge amount of storage for songs and for people on the go who take their music with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little Player with Excellent Credentials, January 18, 2013
I am reviewing this item as a project. I really like this player. First of all it is amazingly small and has a nice oval design that is easy to handle in the palm of your hand. It has a really good spring on it to use on a shirt or jogging gear and a very long cable attached to the earplugs. The set up is simple and very versatile, since it will transfer music either from a PC or a Phone, so you can actually store some of your music right on the Muse. 4 Gigs of music is plenty to store to use for a long time. I like the fact that signals are digital, which will be easy to use at night. The sound is awesome, and coupled with the sound being transferred from the PC or phone, makes the quality outstanding. I do find a few things I do not like: the operator's manual is quick start and too brief. It does not show what kind of battery to purchase when it has to be replaced or how to open the unit to install a new battery. It does not show the proper way to use the ear phones and the best way to put them into your ear and I found them uncomfortable. There are some features on the Muse itself that are not in english and not explained. Otherwise it gives marvelous sound, wonderful design, easy to use, not heavy and a wonderful product to use when you are on the go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute little player with a couple flaws, May 5, 2014
I bought this for they gym... finally ridding myself of my old nano (and thus the last remnant of apple in my life).
Been using it for a bit now. Mostly liking it, but there are a couple things I do wish they included.
No, there is no playlist support... and really, I don't think there should be. All you need is what you want to listen to, and you can swap it out easily enough. It's not a nano-like device... probably a shuffle would be the closest apple alternative (never had a shuffle, so won't comment on how it's the same/different from one). If that's a problem for you, don't buy it.
Also, I read some people had a problem with the buttons. Yes, you gotta wait to wake it up once it's been on for a bit, but the lack of physical buttons is NOT a problem; If you tap next to where your cord is coming out, that's vol up... you figure all of them out without much thought after a couple tweaks.
It's tiny and so light you forget you have it on when at the gym... be it running on the treadmill or lifting weights or kickboxing a bag. The clip is solid and stays on through anything you can dish out at it. Oh, and you can use the actual jack to levy it open if you're worried about the volume up button getting pressed ^_~

The good;

The sound quality is amazing for just over ten bucks. The earbuds that come with it are actually quite nice, though if you'll be at a noisy gym, don't expect them to keep the outside noises out (unless you crank up the volume) as well as the soft buds.

It looks freaking cute. It was once called the pebble, and to me that's exactly what it is. Say what you like about apple being all cool and stylish and whatnot, but this little pebble is the cutest thing, and feels amazing to just wrap your hand around ^_^, much better than having corners.

Drag and drop music... either between folders or between whatever player you use. bam, it's there.

I can pull any songs from it to my phone and vice versa just as easily (any android will work; without the samsung program they just see it as a usb storage device). Yes, I know it's not going to be used much, but it's a nice option when you realize you don't have a song on your phone from there but don't want to hunt it down in your library (or get the cable out to connect the phone to your computer).

No more picking out gym pants based on pockets for my nano ^_^ I clipped it to my shirt sleeve and it didn't budge.

For the price, I really don't have to worry about it. I know it's kinda silly to say, but one of the two main reasons I don't just use my phone at the gym (the other being it's weight/size and attachment problems) is the perpetual worry that it'll fall or get hit or otherwise get beat up or broken during a mishap... and I'd be out a few hundred and a workable phone. And unlike some other players out there, it wasn't an investment... it was a lunch or a few days worth of coffee.

The bad;
As far as I can tell, there's no way to get the earbud toggles to affect the volume (or skip songs) the way you can on a nano... this may be the single most annoying thing about this player... and hopefully there's some way Samsung can solve the issue with a firmware update or something (it would even get me to install kies, which is the ONLY reason to install the software that comes with it). If it did this, I'd probably give it five stars.

I wish they'd have utalized NFC in this thing for the phone, with a connector just for the comp... or stuck a bluetooth in there or something to wirelessly do both (with an external switch so it's not eating battery life). I don't mind the connectors, but it would be nice not to have to worry over losing them, etc. Also, why oh why does the dark blue one come with white headphones and connectors??? Seriously, that bugs me more than it should.

It doesn't equalize the volume, which led me to a fine little program called MP3Gain that actually hard equalizes your music files (mostly because my workout mix is all over the place. I actually really like the program, but i can see people getting annoyed about having to shift the volume up and down, so there it is.

Rate and Discover Movies