5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this printer!
I love being able to print directly from my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone thru my wireless network! Also prints from any other computer or tablet on my network, all wirelessly. Printer also looks good (I keep it on a corner of my kitchen counter for easy access, it's just plugged into the a/c outlet like any other kitchen appliance)!

Only con with this printer...
Published 16 months ago by Discerning Shopper

I had a Samsung laser for about 10 years and it quit this week. It was used heavily with no issues, ever. That prompted me to purchase a similar, but wireless model, as that is more convenient.

Published 11 months ago by DianaM

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this printer!, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Printer Xpress SL-M2825DW Wireless Monochrome Printer (Office Product)

Only con with this printer is that the wireless setup was a MAJOR pain in the ass! I had to call Samsung's tech support, and allowed the level 2 tech support to log onto my computer (I was able to monitor the entire process on my screen) and finally had to plug the printer and laptop into my wireless router before tech support was able to get it working. I believe the issue/problem was that the printer ships with something called "wifi direct" enabled, and this meant that the printer was trying to act as it's own wireless access point or some other gobledegook, and once the tech support logged into the printer's wireless setup and disabled the wifi direct, then he was able to get the setup/installation software to finish installation, and all has worked fine (knock on wood) ever since! Setup should not have been nearly so difficult, Samsung should be shipping these printers with the wifi direct turned off, since it wasn't at all necessary to connect this printer to my network.

One final note about toner cartridges. Some people complain about the relatively short life of the toner cartridge that (sometimes) comes with these printers. Those toners are only "starter" cartridges, and don't print thousands of pages. I'm still on my starter toner, and have printed probably 200-300 pages so far and it says that I still have about 42% toner remaining. Anyway, I've already purchased an "xl" (long life) replacement toner cartridge for this printer, it was about $80 online, but should easily last for thousands of pages, making printing with a laser printer (vs. an inkjet) much more cost effective, plus I've never known of toner to "dry out" like ink does in inkjet printers.

To summarize buy this printer if you need a great household wireless network printer, that easily prints from Samsung wireless devices (and any brand of laptop) as long as they're all on your wireless network!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inexpensive B&W printer, Pros and Cons, vs. Brother HL-2270DW, February 6, 2014
Review for: Samsung SL-M2825DW

Excellent home or home office laser printer, I highly recommend it.

PROS:
------

- A fairly attractive look
- 24x7 U.S. Support including ability to remotely connect to your computer if you wish
- Output quality appears excellent for most uses
- Ethernet, USB, and Wireless connection options
- Fairly small and light, well-placed side hand holds
- Comes with full sized toner cartridge
- It prints fairly quietly and is silent when not printing
- Inexpensive enough to get as a second printer just for text or drafts
- Vastly faster and much sharper high-quality setting text than with inkjet printers
- Print cost is a fraction of that of inkjet printers (on average a little over 2 cents per page).

CONS:
------

- Not as high resolution as some higher-end laser printers, though you might have a lot of trouble telling the difference
- No color in return for the lower cost, lighter weight, and smaller size
- Shutdown should be a one tap and walk away affair, I'd like to see a standby button and a shutdown button with both clearly labeled as such

vs. Brother HL-2270DW:
-----------------------

This Samsung and the Brother HL-2270DW both fit a sweet spot in value for home and home office use for laser printers.

A number of laser printer brands appear to have a gap between the extremely portable versions with limited connection options and little or no paper storage and their desktop models with higher dpi and monthly usage than most homes can get much benefit from. Into this gap we find the Samsung SL-M2825DW and Brother HL-2270DW offering fairly inexpensive models barely over $100 with USB, Ethernet, and Wireless connection, excellent output quality, paper storage tray, and still fairly high portability and fairly unobtrusive size.

SIZE:
The Samsung is 1" taller and 1" less deep. They are the same width.

WEIGHT/PORTABILITY:
They are both very portable. However, the Samsung has nicely placed HANDHOLDS on the bottom sides, the Brother has no hand holds. I think this more than makes up for the Samsung's additional pound (15.4 vs. 16.4 lbs). Side note: I suggest removing toner cartridge if moving a laser printer.

LOOKS:
The Samsung is noticeably more attractive for home use in my opinion, though I would prefer a true white a little more than the slightly greyish shade of white of the Samsung. Then again that's just me and you may very well prefer the black of the brother.

POWER AND MEMORY:
The Samsung CPU is 600MHz vs. 200 MHz for the Brother. The Samsung memory is 128MB vs. 32MB for the Brother. Clearly although the speeds are rated very similar (27/28 ppm) the Samsung sports much more power and memory under the hood.

PAPER WEIGHT SPECS:
The specs suggest that the Samsung can handle heavier paper.
- Samsung cassette tray: 16-43 lbs.
- Brother cassette tray: 16-28 lbs.
- Samsung manual feed: 16-58 lbs.
- Brother manual feed: 16-43 lbs.

OUTPUT TRAY:
The Samsung output tray handles 150 pages vs. the Brother's 100 pages.

STARTER TONER CARTRIDGE:
The Brother comes with a starter toner cartridge (est. 700 pages) while the Samsung comes with a full-sized one.

SUPPORT:
Brother support has telephone support from M-F 9A-8P, Samsung is 24x7. Samsung has the ability to remotely access your computer if you approve to help resolve issues, Brother support does not.

AND FOR A LITTLE MORE:
------------------------

For more you can get models with 1200x1200dpi and higher monthly usage ratings, however for most homes these bonuses will be irrelevant and they come with more weight and size, not always welcome in smaller homes and home offices.

For more you can get models with COLOR, though heavier and larger, and more expensive per page.

GREEN AND SURGE INFO:
------------------------

Standby power tests out to be 1.4-1.6 Watts. This is roughly 13 Kilowatt Hours (kWh) per year (24x365x1.5). At 11 cents per kWh that would be roughly $1.50/yr.

When printing (and when first turning on), within 1-2 seconds it surges up to 890 Watts (up to 8.8 Amps), then settles down to 850-860 Watts (at 7.3-7.7 Amps), and then further drops to waver in a range between 270-710 Watts (at 4.8-7.5 Amps) for the remainder of the print job. During the surge the voltage drops to just below 115V.

SUGGESTIONS:
--------------

- Often for BEST GRAPHICS RESULTS, for example maps, when printing graphics be sure to DESELECT TONER SAVING in printer properties.

- Don't plug a laser printer directly into a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) due to its hair dryer like surge to as high as 890 Watts at almost 9 Amps (tested).

- If using an extension cord be sure to get one with a gauge (roughly thickness of the actual wire, though more precisely wire cross cut surface area) that can HANDLE THE SURGE plus any other load on the cord with room to spare. However you get your advice on gauge choice, be sure to take cord gauge seriously, it is often even suggested to up the gauge a step higher than you think is required. Home Depot has a chart showing the minimum cord gauge required for different Amps levels, at different cord lengths, that might be a good starting point. Having said all that, laser printer manufacturers usually prefer folks to plug the printers directly into an outlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless is like magic, June 8, 2013
A breeze to setup. Clear crisp printing. Duplexing and wireless are fantastic. A great replacement for my Samsung ML-1710. Supports AirPrint.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far Great!, December 18, 2013
It took me a week to decide between this printer and the Brother HL-2270DW. Both are currently priced at $99. I had a hard time determining if the Samsung had a bypass opening for envelops, which it does. However, the first use of it resulted in it pulling in a sheet of paper along with the envelop. I will have to look into what I have to do to avoid this.

Contrary to one review, the wireless installation went seamlessly on my network and three computers using the limited instructions that came in the box. There is a pdf manual available on the included CD that I have not reviewed.

For someone like me that prints the majority of documents in B&W I'm expecting to break even in a year based in ink savings.

The bottom line that made the difference on choosing the Samsung is that it comes with a regular sized cartridge versus a starter cartridge for the Brother. I estimate this is worth at least $25.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value Purchase!!!, August 27, 2013
I bought this because I wanted a cheap but quality Airprint capable printer. Wireless printing was a bit of a a PIA to setup (took maybe 30 minutes), but once it was done worked great. Able to print wirelessly from laptop, iPad and iPhone. No problems. Duplex works great. No need to flip pages, printer does it for you. Very happy with my purchase. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice printer especially for the money., July 18, 2013
Easy setup. Fast printing. Great to be wireless. Print quality is really good. Good paper capacity. Much better than the HP I also have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, October 13, 2013
Printer works flawlessly for my needs. Wireless feature works perfect from any part of my home, including my backyard. Easy to set up and deal with. Only thing I can suggest is bypass the installation CD, and go the manufacturer's site to download the newer drivers. With Win 8 the CD included made a debacle of the interface. Downloading from the site corrected all the initial issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will Not Connect Regardless of Numerous Attempts on Two Different PC's., January 10, 2014

As a note: I have a Brother wireless all-in-one that functions flawlessly with both my laptop (Windows 8) and my desktop (Windows 7.) Never an issue with it with either PC.

This Samsung model (M25DW/XAC) will connect to my PC's and then lose connectivity; it simply will not print anything after one test page and turns itself offline on the PC's. I have unstalled/reinstalled the software three times to no avail. Troubleshooting indicates that this is a know problem (to Samsung) and the fix (VERY complicated IP/DCHP (?), etc.) doesn't change a thing.

Bottom line: The wireless function does not work.

I have made a return request, which I expect to be honored as the product doesn't work.

I'll look into a Brother wireless laser. Sorry Samsung, you lost me on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Privacy, May 18, 2014
Harris (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
The printer works well and prints fast, however, two negative issues with this printer prevent me from rating it any higher than one star.

1) It is impossible to reset device if you cannot remember the password to the SyncThru web service. Without the password you cannot change any system settings.

2) Privacy. Samsung wants to monitor everything you do on this printer and send that information overseas. The following text is from the "Internet Connection Usage Agreement".

Samsung software may log user interactions and use your IP address and internet connection to transmit data for software updates, troubleshooting problems and to provide improved customer support. The data transmitted to Samsung shall be used in an anonymous and/or aggregate form and may be transferred to a Samsung entity located overseas.

Samsung is committed to protecting your privacy and the integrity of your computer system, especially when using your internet connection. Your name, address, or e-mail address will not be collected. The data shall not be used in any way that identifies individual users and shall be in compliance Samsung’s Privacy Policy. Click the link below to review or change the settings that customizes how your internet connection may be used.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good (iMac), October 15, 2013
So far I really like this printer. Quality is great.

If you're on a Mac without a CD/DVD reader then you'll need to go here: [...]
This link will let you download a wireless configuration tool needed to setup the printer.

If you want to setup with USB go here and download the driver [...]

It feels robust and was fairly painless to install once I knew what pieces to download. My only recommendation to Samsung would be to include drivers either by USB drive or something similar.