on February 24, 2014
I use this printer with a Windows 8.1 machine and a Windows Vista laptop. Here's what I did to install it on Win 8.1:

1. Turn Printer on
2. Search WiFi home network through on-board menu
3. Type in network key (similar to mobile phone keyboard, easy enough)
4. Printer showed up immediately in the Win 8.1 machine, was ready to go right away.

The printer NEVER got connected with USB or Ethernet, and I NEVER had to insert a driver CD. Awesome.
The older Win Vista computer saw the printer on the network, but downloaded a driver from Microsoft through standard OS dialogs. Never inserted a CD either.
It is configurable wirelessly through a built in web server, go to "Properties/Web Services", you'll find a local address on your home network.

This thing is a steal for a pro level 80.000 pages/month duty cycle, a full factory cartridge and fast printing, large memory, good drivers and easy installation. Power draw on start up is noticeable, but no problem in my house.

Highly recommended!
on January 15, 2015
This review is for the Samsung M3820DW (and the M3320ND) with some general comments about Samsung printers at the end.

After some recent disappointments with HP printers I decided to try another manufacturer. My first HP printer lasted me 15 years; that wasn't the case with my last two.

After spending a fair amount of money on my last HP I decided to look at less expensive laser printers so that I wouldn't be out a lot if something went wrong. My criteria for a small office laser printer are pretty simple - an ability to print a relatively high volume of black and white documents was most important; how the printer looks was secondary but a consideration since it sits next to my desk.

An associate of mine recently purchase a SL-C1860FW (a Samsung multifunction color laser) so I thought I would give Samsung some thought. After some comparison shopping at a few brick and mortar retailers and checking some reviews online I purchased a M3320ND. Modestly priced, simple design.

Initially I was satisfied but soon discovered that I could not print envelopes from the MP tray. Other than an LED blinking red - and no printout - the printer doesn't provide much information. After a couple of hours trying to solve the problem, including looking online for support, I called Samsung and was told that there was a potentially known problem with feeding envelopes from the MP tray. I got the sense that there was a potential fix, but I'm not sure about that.

While trying to decide if I should return the printer or try to have it repaired, I discovered another problem - I could not print legal size documents from the MP tray either. Legal documents would only partially print - essentially as though I was using letter sized paper. I spent another hour or two trying to solve that problem with no success.

So I returned it. I thought about purchasing a printer from a different manufacturer, but I decided to try the Samsung M3820DW (it was well-priced.) The difference between the M3820DW and the M3320ND, other than wireless printing, is that the M3820DW has an LED display and a manual menu system. Apparently that matters.

The M3820DW will feed envelopes from the MP tray (or at least mine does) but it still has problems printing legal documents from the MP tray.

My setup is a Windows 7 PC running MS Office 2003. In the past I have always been able to change my print settings through software - either from within the office applications or through the printer software. From what I can tell neither of those approaches will override the M3820 (or the M3320) printer settings. On the M3820 if you manually setup the printer (via the buttons on the printer) to print "letter" from the MP tray (which is the default,) changing those settings in either the office app or the printer software does no good. Not for legal, not for envelopes. Unlike the M3320 (which has no display) the M3820 displays a "MP Tray Paper Mismatch" error. So at least it gives you some idea of what the problem is.

As far as I can tell changing the printer options in the Samsung software does no good. The only way I could solve the problem is by manually changing the settings using the menu and buttons on the printer. This is cumbersome, and makes the Samsung software somewhat useless. Since the M3320 has no display and menu system, I have no idea what the workaround is. I never figured it out.

To me the Samsung software isn't very useful, despite the fact that it has lots of supposedly customizable settings and preferences. It simply doesn't do what it's supposed to do. And the user manual isn't much help. It's a generic manual for several different models and doesn't really address model specific problems, at least not in any detail. I'm relatively computer proficient. Getting a basic printer to print envelopes and legal documents should be simple, not hard.

Finally, one problem with purchasing a Samsung is the lack of online support, both on the Samsung website and on other online forums. Searching Samsung support FAQs gives zero results, and clicking on "troubleshooting" returned the message "this troubleshooting guide doesn't exist anymore." So their online support is weak. And I guess because there aren't as many Samsung printers out there as there are HP printers, you won't find much in other forums on other sites either.

I want to like this printer. The build quality seems good and price/features combination is attractive. But the software doesn't seem to work well and the online support is not good. I haven't decided if I will keep it.
on December 26, 2014
The entry-cost is astonishingly low and toner is relatively cheap. I have 116,000 pages on one in an office. The fuser was replaced at ~100,000 pages when it finally started printing dots on the left margin; the fuser is rated at 90,000 pages but the printer continues printing. The fuser cost $82.00 shipped, about half of one for the P3015 it replaced, which is rated at 100,000 pages so its a wash. We went through two fusers in the P3015 before the logic board failed (323,000 pages total!)

Other replacement parts I've installed in the SL-M3820 is a transfer roller ($20) and the tray 2 roller ($12) twice. I have the 500-sheet tray on bottom for primary printing, and since its "recycled" paper its harder on the roller since its ~15lb thin. Neither printer has jammed abnormally with this paper, so that says a lot about the separation pad and engineering behind it since both printers clearly state the minimum weight of paper should be 18lb.

It is faster than the LaserJet Pro 400 but slower than the P3015, and first page out is slower than both, although it states 6 seconds, it's only that fast if its not in sleep mode which by default it enters after 15 minutes. First page out seems to be around 15-20 seconds from cold. Bootup is also slightly slower than HP's, which is interesting since both of our HP's had more memory. Speaking of which, this printer has 128MB of memory which is NOT upgradable so if you print large postscript files, it will cut off graphics. It's only been a problem once or twice.

I'll come right out and say I'm an HP guy. I always recommend HP and occasionally Lexmark equipment to my clients but the SL-M3820 surprises me, because I remember a decade ago how terrible Samsung printers were. The machines back then seemed to run SO hot I thought the plastic would melt. The drivers were sketchy and finding quality genuine parts and even toner was a challenge. That has all changed tremendously in Samsung's favor and their printer/imaging division is yet another boon to their portfolio of diverse electronic offerings.

Long story short, you will save a lot of money with this printer over HP, who's recent price gouging at the cartridge works in Samsung's favor; even though the P3015 prints 50% more per (extended) toner, that cartridge costs TWICE as much as the 10,000 page yield model for the SL-M3820. The maintenance kit is cheaper as well, and just as easy to install (philips screws and some clips.) The rollers are a little more challenging to get to\remove in the Samsung but they actually seem to last longer than the roller we kept a "bag" of spares for the P3015 that ate though them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2013
I bought this in favor of a similar printer from Brother because the Brother was a little older and was only available in black and I wanted a lighter color. The downside was that this printer had no reviews. Well that's about to change!
The printer has a fairly compact footprint and is pretty much a cube. it fits on top of an Ikea rolling drawer unit with ample space to spare. There are no protrusions unless you open the bypass feeder.
So far, I've used the printer wirelessly and through a wired connection. I've only used the main paper tray and have so far not experienced any jams. Duplexing works well and print quality is what you would expect from a laser. It isn't particularly noisy and has eco settings to turn itself off when no in use. There is an eco toner mode as well, which can be engaged through a panel button or through the web-based administration interface. I was not able to find a way to turn the eco print mode on and off from within the print driver. I'm using a Mac running Mac OS X 10.8.4 and didn't bother to install the printer drivers - I just let Mac OS do its thing. I've also printed from iOS devices using AirPrint without problems.
Criticisms? Well apart from not being able to turn eco mode on and off from the printer driver, the LCD display on the printer is hard to see since it is not raised and is not illuminated, and my lights flicker when the printer powers up or prints (but that's pretty normal for a laser in the home.)
on November 9, 2013
Great printer. Prints quickly with excellent quality. The wireless function is really convenient. It is easy to set up. Appears to be well constructed. I am considering purchasing another one.
on April 21, 2015
We are not impressed at all with the poor performance of this machine or the support from Samsung regarding the issues we are experiencing. The main ones are as follows,

1) Wastes a lot of paper printing error pages that cannot be turned off when a page fails to print correctly. The print driver is supposed to support all the way back to OS X 10.6 and it does work, some of the time. The same driver from OS X 10.9.5 works more often but still has issues printing random PDF files and many Pages files. When it fails, it typically starts spitting out pages with a few odd characters printed and will not cancel. The only way to stop it is to pull the drawer out so it stops pulling paper and wait for the last sheet pulled to cycle through then shut off the machine to clear the print job. It does not clear from the panel button that is supposed to cancel jobs and does not and it can't be stopped from the print queue in OS X after the job has been sent to the printer. Many of the files that won't print right from Lion print just fine from Mavericks. All of the pages that don't print correctly print perfectly on a Xerox Phaser 6180DN. Support's solution was to uninstall the printer and reinstall it with the same driver. The solution sometimes works but mostly not, and one shouldn't have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling their printer just to print.

2) The cartridge that comes with it should print 3000 pages at 5% coverage according to the specs for it (D203S). We have had it use 83% of the toner with 1572 pages printed according to the web utility the machine comes with. We are not printing graphics, just pages of text at 12 to 14 point and that would have been three reams of paper but we have barely gone through two so the counter isn't even accurate. The specs for the toner capacity is simply not accurate for the D203S cartridge and the driver can't accurately count the number of pages it actually prints , including the error pages with a dozen odd characters on one line.

3) Every time the printer comes on the lights dim. This machine draws more power than the more than five year old four color Xerox Phaser 6180DN. To get the power saving features it claims to have you have to sacrifice toner. We are not using the power saving features because Samsung toner costs more than the wasted electricity. It has not flipped a breaker yet but it is really annoying to have the lights dim all the time when using the printer.

I selected this printer largely on reviews here on Amazon knowing that many people also had noticed its power hungry nature but I did not read issues with its unreliability in printing from older Apple OSes. Personally I can't recommend this printer at all or the Samsung support solution. At least their support person spoke fluent English without a difficult to understand accent - too bad their support solution doesn't consistently work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 8, 2013
Replaced an aging HP2100TN that started to have paper transport issues with this. It's a bit noisier, but so much faster. Paper handling is great and the duplexing is so far flawless. Printing from Linux is a no-brainer and the same can be said of printing from my Android devices via Google Cloud Print. Not using the wireless as I have a wired LAN but it appears to have all of the features one may need.
on February 19, 2014
I've had this printer for a month and it is performing very well. It wasn't easy to find a laser printer of these dimensions and AirPrint compatible. And the price was reasonable too! So far, very happy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My initial impressions are good. The printer was fairly easy to set up (though some of the "illustration only" instructions for the toner cartridges were difficult to comprehend). The printer is quiet and fast by color printer standards. And the print quality is very good, with vibrant colors. The only minor complaint is the fact that the paper tray feels flimsy, but it seems to work just fine. The construction of the rest of the printer is solid. Overall, I'm pleased so far.
on June 1, 2015
This is a great printer. We also bought the add on tray for this printer. Setup was easy and the printer works great.

We are using this printer for invoicing are customers and needed speed and high quality print. This printer fits both categories.