5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung RBBD-D5250C/ZA Blu Ray Player
I just received the Samsung RBBD-D5250C/ZA blu-ray (refurbished) player. After playing both blu-ray and standard DVD concert disks on the player I'm left wondering what could have been wrong with it.

Published on September 30, 2012 by Big Miles Davis Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointed with this player
Published on October 12, 2012 by D. Cerezo

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung RBBD-D5250C/ZA Blu Ray Player, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Samsung RBBD-D5250C/ZA Refurbished Blu-Ray Player with HDMI Cable, Black (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The Samsung compares very favorably with the LG BD270 (entry level) blu-ray player that I've owned for three years and like a lot. And the Samsung is more; it is network capable for downloading material online.

I do not discern any difference in video quality between the LG player and the Samsung; they're both excellent. There is a difference with audio. A number of concert DVDs and blu-ray disks with DTS audio that I've played on the LG did not generate sound in the center speaker while my Sony amplifier was in its normal setting. Those same disks when played on the Samsung generate audio in all speakers. Better still selecting 2 channel stereo (instead of 5.1 or DTS) also distributes sound in all 5 speakers. The remote control does not open/close the tray; that must be done manualy on the front panel which is very sensitive to touch.

I can't say with much certainty that a refurbished player will not malfuction again but as of now I'll recommend it for purchase at this low price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointed with this player, October 12, 2012
Maybe I got the lemon of the bunch but this Blu Ray player was a pretty big failure. I typically try not to buy anything refurbished but at this price, I figured I would take a chance and if it needed to be replaced in a year, so be it. After setting up the player and connecting it to the internet (via cat5 cable), things seemed to be working fine. I linked my Netflix account to the player and watched a couple of minutes of various movies I've viewed in the past and it worked fine enough. I must say, the quality of the streaming videos was not as good as when watching from my Xbox or Playstation 3, but I figured I could live with it since I already had other avenues of watching Netflix.

The main reason I bought this was so I could have a Blu Ray player in the bedroom and hence the reason for my 1-star rating. I popped in a Blu Ray disc (The Avengers) and settled in but to my major disappointment, about 40 minutes into the movie the player began making a whirling sound...like it was trying to load a disc. Then all of sudden the picture on the screen froze up and then started playing frame by frame, like when you pause a movie then hit the slow-motion forward button. So I stopped the movie and tried to play from where it froze and again, same slow-motion issue. The disc was brand new so it couldn't have been due to a scratch but I tried to give the player the benefit of the doubt (because I hate returning things) and popped in another Blu Ray disc. Unfortunately, same frustrating issue after about the 40th minute in the movie. So just to make sure it wasn't a Blu Ray thing, I put in a regular DVD and same thing happened with it.

Again, I probably got that one bad player of the lot...but it is a "refurb" machine and it needed to be refurbished in the first place for some reason, right. In this case, whoever did the repairs obviously didn't sit through and try to watch a movie on this particular machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, September 16, 2012
This product met all of my expectations. I love all the different options with all the apps. The quality is beautiful! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great deal on a great bluray, September 12, 2012
Chris Baxter (Mentor, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
The player met all my expectations. It is a top quality player that presents properly to formats. As a refurbished unit, it is a great deal. Make sure not to misplace remote as manual buttons are not as easy to use as other players and limit functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Video, December 1, 2012
John Stitnizky (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
Arrived as promised in great shape. Unit work excellently and has great color. This was also a very good price, about 1/2 that of similar units

5.0 out of 5 stars a great value, November 17, 2012
this player works great. no problems at all. samsung did a fantastic job on this machine. a great value indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray player, November 16, 2012
This blu ray player was easy to use and works great! I have had no issues with this product. This was a great deal!

1.0 out of 5 stars after less than a year stops playing blu rays, April 8, 2013
the netflix interface is horrible. the remote is unresponsive. it stopped playing blu rays. you have to buy an adapter to hook up to internet. I bought it cheap like $60 so I guess it was my fault but now im seeing it for 149.99? if it's anything like what i bought, dont you dare buy it. go buy the sony bdp s590 it's $144 and works. This is what you get for trying to go cheap on electronics.

4.0 out of 5 stars good visually, December 11, 2012
price wise a good piece of equipment. We used it during the Thanksgiving holiday to watch mivies and play games and it performed great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Starting Out/, November 26, 2012
The player has great apps but no horse power. Right from the start, I got an error message saying the hardware didn't have enough RAM. You can either play disks (which it does really well) or use internet apps (which it doesn't do really well), but don't try both sequentially. No instructions on how to upgrade. I haven't tried the Geek Squad yet. For the price, it's good for the kids. Don't bother with an extended warranty, there isn't one.