5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good
Published on December 18, 2010 by M. Baird

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as hoped...
Well I got this for Christmas and was extremely excited about it. Then about an hour into playing with it realized what I got myself into. For those who thought this was a golden deal, it's not so much. I didn't realize all of the little things that are missing in this laptop. So here we go:

Pros:
--Love the keyboard. Took a second to get used to, but very...
Published on December 25, 2010 by DesTroyer99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, December 18, 2010
M. Baird (Monmouth, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung RF510-S02 15.6-Inch HD LED Laptop (Graphite Radiant Burst) (Personal Computers)
So far I am very impressed by this laptop. For the price, the included hardware, specifically the processor, RAM, and video card are quite impressive--these are the things that made my decision to purchase this laptop. I am not going to list either pro or con for the battery, this machine is a powerhouse, so of course it's going to suck a lot of power. If you want a business travel machine or ultra-portable this isn't for you. This laptop is intended for someone who needs desktop power that has the *option* of being mobile when necessary. This fits fine with my lifestyle. I should mention that I am coming to this laptop as an owner of 3 Apple laptops. I made the switch because the hardware on this *far* exceeds the Apple version of the same price point. Or even that of double this price point. My purchase of this item was at $849.99. This is $100-200 less than any other online retailer at the time I purchased, so a great deal with Amazon.

I'm going to review a few points not well-covered in the product description or other reviews:

Pros:
-There is a feature to turn off the LED backlight (function+F5). This reminds me a bit of the Pixel Qi display panels, but more rudimentary since it isn't an eInk technology, just simple LCD panel. However, if outdoors in bright sunlight, the screen is very easy to see and battery savings are significant. Otherwise, you will want to keep the backlight on, unless you put a bright lamp directly behind you.
-Already mentioned, but the feel of the keyboard is the best I've found in a laptop. Amazing. Very slightly rubberized keys with a soft but not completely weightless action. This is excellent for a fast typist, but isn't so ultra-sensitive that it causes accidental letter repeats.
-The touchpad is great. The ELAN Smart-Pad driver has a lot of extra options. My previous laptop is a macbook and I am accustomed to gesture touchpads (swiping, 2-finger scrolling vertically and horizontally and more). I needed to configure a few options, but in the end am able to mimic all touchpad options I utilized on my macbook. This is very valuable.
-The palmrest is a metal material, which surprised me. It looks as though it should wear well, I've had laptops where the friction from use and oils from hands discolored or rubbed away paint/tint in the plastic.
-There are 4 USB ports (two 2.0 (left side) and two 3.0 (right side). This is great, because I have a few USB devices that are wider than typical and prevent use of the adjacent USB port. With two ports on either side, I can keep a bulky device on one side and still use the other two, or use two bulky ones at the same time.
-I've been using the CPU monitoring widget for Win7. So far it seems that the laptop only kicks in use of additional processor cores when absolutely necessary, battery life seems to be a bit better than I expected. With casual browsing and IM going I get about 2.3-2.5 hours on one charge. This is with settings for longer battery life enabled.

Cons:
-Fast Start is quoted as a 3 second or less duration in waking from 'sleep.' So far this is more in the 4-8 second range for me. Not a dealbreaker, but slightly annoying that it is advertised as "within 3 seconds."
-The webcam is (I believe) 0.5 MP. It has poor detail and is honestly just crummy. Just what I'd expect with that. Not a feature I plan on using, but it's surprising that this piece of hardware is so far behind the curve of the rest, especially given that these cameras are relatively inexpensive, especially for a 1 or 2 MP. I knew the low MP going into the purchase so had no expectations of quality. It doesn't affect my rating but I figure it worth mentioning for someone who needs higher quality. Honestly, it's still such a great machine, if that's a big deal, I'd get a clip-on external cam for when you need one.
-One minor issue with keyboard layout. There's a 10-key layout on the right side of the keyboard, the zero key is the same width as the other numbers, directly below the 2 key which is not ergonomically sound for use by your thumb when doing significant number entry. This nearly defeats the inclusion of the 10-key section. I rarely do much of this type of work, but for someone who intends to utilize this, you may wish to consider another system or remap the right arrow key to function as a zero.

As you can see, the cons are fairly minor when considering the system and pros. I've only had the laptop for a week so will update this review if I notice anything different. Feel free to comment if you have any specific questions about this review or laptop.

For more reviews and at about $120 or so cheaper, check out the Samsung RF510-S01 15.6-Inch HD LED Laptop (Graphite Radiant Burst). The only difference is a slightly slower processor (Intel Core i5, you'd only notice a difference if doing very system-intensive work like video editing, 3D gameplay) and smaller hard drive (500 GB). If you just intend on using the laptop for web browsing and office applications, save yourself the cash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable laptop with i7 processor, December 23, 2010
MarkUS (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I'll just list out the pros and cons, to make this review short and to the point.

Pros:
* Quad-core i7 Intel processor (8 total threads)
* 4GB of RAM (Upgradable to 8GB RAM, using DDR3 PC3-8500 204-pin SODIMM)
* Two USB 3.0 ports
* HDMI port
* Bluetooth 3.0 (I was able to do BT file-transfer from my cell)
* NVIDIA GeForce 330M graphics with 1GB of memory
* Samsung's True2Sound (Impressive, but sound is not that loud)
* 802.11n, for faster wireless network
* Jumbo frames support on LAN
* No heat issue
* UPDATE: I haven't even paid attention to the Apps.
* I love that Samsung included some recovery apps, for drivers &/or OS (Samsung Recovery Solution 5)
* I also admired that very little bloatware is installed, so far I only uninstalled Norton

Cons:
* No Blu-ray reader
* No eSATA port
* Resolution is not 1080p, it is 720p (1366 x 768)
* 5400RPM SATA Hard drive
* Was told by Samsung that you cannot install SSD HD. I don't think this is accurate(?)
* Samsung's Web site and support is lacking
* Battery life
* No keyboard backlight
* Not a big deal: Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm gonna install my own version of W7 Enterprise, also using Samsung Recovery Solution to restore drivers/apps. I'll update this post, once I get that completed.

Windows listed this laptop as 5.9 (Windows Experience Index).
Processor: 7.0
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 6.4
Gaming: 6.4
Hard Drive: 5.9

Based on the above index, the upgrade path is RAM and HD. I will upgrade RAM later on and replace HD with SSD. I opened the back of the laptop and I estimate the dimension of the HD to be: WxDxH - 69.85 x 100.00 x 7.40 mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal Out There For The Money, January 6, 2011
Will try to hit a few points that aren't covered much in other reviews.

UPDATE: For those of you who hate touchpads as much as I do, you can go into the control panel and either change the sensitivity OR (as I did) set it to turn off if there is a mouse attached. NO more problem with the touchpad (I have had problems with every touchpad I have every used). No mouse attached, the touchpad turns back on.

Purchased this on Dec. 19, 2010. For a few hours only, the price was $800 - Fantastic price for a i7 15" screen laptop! Always had Toshiba Tecra's before this. Like any new computer, every brand has their own little quirks to get used to. My box stated 'Black' and NOT 'Charcoal Fusion". I have had no problem with fingerprints.

I went to Best Buy before purchasing just to see the laptop and try the keyboard. They have Samsung machines in stock.

I love the way the keyboard feels, but still having trouble adapting to the location and size of the delete key. No big deal. The machine is extremely quiet and cool. I had to purchase an external cooler for my Toshiba.

Extremely easy setup. At first I was a bit disappointed in no dial for volume control - but then I found the three buttons (top right next to power button) for mute, up and down volume. The one thing I don't like is that the door to the card reader (front on laptop) comes completely off. I have read that other laptops are the same way.

Love the FOUR USB ports - two 3.0 on the right and two 2.0 on the left. Even the Samsung web site only mentions the 3.0 ones.

Comes with bluetooth. No Blueray. Blueray drives for laptops seem to add several hundred dollars to the price. I figure by the time I really want one, I will either be ready for a new laptop or I can get an external one to go with the 3.0 USB ports.

I am a grandmother with progressive lens in my eyeglasses. I almost wish I had gone to a smaller screen. With progressives, the field of vision is a bit limited and I find myself having to turn my head a bit to see edge to edge. This is something I will take up with my optometrist. I decided against a smaller screen only because of the narrower field from top to bottom. My next chore is to try and get rid of another toolbar or two! These new laptops are certainly NOT like the old squarish ones.

It comes with Microsoft Office preinstalled (you need the code for this). BUT, it ALSO comes with a FREE USABLE version Microsoft Office Starter - no macro's and a few ads. It has Word, Excel, Clip Manager,Photo Manager, Upload Center and Office Starter To Go (this enables one to utilize a thumb drive to use Office Starter on any Windows machine). Being able to use Word and Excel is enough that many people will not have to purchase Office.

I fried my last laptop (with water) just before I was going to back it up (had even purchased a new external drive to do so), so I appreciate the software on this machine for backing up data and making a CD to restore the programs and the ease of its use. Not sure if that is a Windows 7 thing or a Samsung extra.

Since I tend to use my laptop plugged in, the battery life doesn't bother me much. If you want a great battery life, get a smaller screen. I have a universal external battery that I use to power my CPAP machine for power outages or traveling. I can use that with this laptop if need be.

The only spec on this machine that I have not been able to find, is durability. How is it on repairs? Decided to take a chance and go for it. I did purchase it with a credit card that doubles the length of the warranty from 1 year to 2.

I am coming from an early Windows XP Professional machine. The only problems I have had at all are in adapting to the new operating system.

UPDATE -April 2011 - Machine still going strong. It has flown across country many times and used every day. No problems!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Display.....battery life, not so much, December 10, 2010
Loved the specs on this unit so I decided to make the purchase. Upon arrival, great looking, non-smudge body.
Brilliant display, wow! Fast start up, easy to use keypad that has number pad as well, unusual in a non-17" laptop.
Sound is very good for a laptop, but for music, you'd still need external speakers.

The drawback.....full battery charge last about an hour and a half with max resolution and brightness and full power use.
To get longer life, you have to adjust settings. Other than that, I'm liking it so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed 4.5 Stars; Plays as good as it looks!, February 21, 2011
I upgraded to this product from an Acer Aspire 6930G with dual core 2.53ghz processor, 4gig DDR2 RAM and GeForce 9600M.

First impressions: very beautiful, very functional, very easy to get up and running, and in general an excellent product. Documentation was ridiculously slim: no manual, some tree-hugger certification and a "don't be an idiot with your computer" warning kit to not shake your laptop, drop it or short your battery with a car key. No recovery disk, but that's pretty standard these days. A downloadable manual is available at the website.

Sound is crisp and adequate, but Acer's bass boost could easily blow it out of the water in richness of tone and music. Display is bright and easily adjustable, and colors are fluid; I am not experiencing what other users were with excessive dimming at sharp viewing angles--my wife and I can easily watch side by side, even in separate chairs, outdoors. Colors are not quite on par with Acer's 6930G. The graphics processing is pretty amazing, on par with desktops of only a few years ago. With factory-installed hardware and drivers I was able to achieve 7562 on 3DMark06, well above the average for this price range.

PROS:
*Core i7 720 quad core CPU with hyperthreading is worthy of praise! The first twitch I was able to get out of this processor was: unzipping a 2gb file while simultaneously operating 2 broadband downloads and installing a program, running Full Tilt Poker and about a gig worth of windows open in Firefox. The mouse cursor stuttered briefly, and that's all, and it may have been a hard disk bottleneck.
*Very sturdy, well-built computer with upgraded island-style keyboard (best I have ever experienced on a laptop) and 10-key pad (this was a MUST since this is a dual business/pleasure machine.)
*Tech support, when I used them (twice so far), were outstanding and prompt.
*Track pad is extraordinary, but if your hands are a little sweaty it tends to stutter slightly.
*Cooling is a HUGE upgrade from my Acer: I ran Supreme Commander on my lap for hours at highest settings, a very demanding game for a laptop, and experienced only moderate warmth on the left side of the computer. The top stayed cool to the touch. My Acer would have had me sweating within 20 minutes.
*Very light and slim for the power; significantly smaller and lighter than the Acer, which was like hauling around a lead-filled cinder block.
*low bloat-ware: just a Norton trial that is easy to uninstall.

CONS:
*Keyboard layout is a little annoying. I think the "pause" key is used more often than "insert", yet "pause/brk" is only accessible through the function key. I'm probably going to remap it. 10key typing is easy to use albeit a bit small, but the "zero" key is poorly-designed and takes some getting used to.
*prosaic sound system: use external speakers if you're an audiophile like me.
*poor documentation: had to use tech support to find out the DDR memory frequency.

Verdict:
*This computer ought to be over $1000. Everything worked excellent out of the box (tech support was for more advanced questions) and it is snappy, zippy and its graphics capability can crush any game older than 3 years, and even brand-new can run fluently at medium graphics options. Starcraft II runs at ultra at 30-45FPS+. Construction is sturdy, with an all-metal top and reasonably heavy-duty hinges. You need 2 hands to open this computer. Let me save you some trouble in upgrading the memory: it's DDR3 SODIMM 1333 (also respectable for its class.) THIS COMPUTER GOES ABOVE AND BEYOND, AND I RECOMMEND IT TO ALL BUT THE MOST HARD-CORE OF GAMERS AND VIDEO CODERS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerhouse with some annoying quirks, January 19, 2011
Let me start with my first impressions as I unboxed it - WOW. *opening up the laptop* WOW!
It really is a gorgeous design, and the metal palm rest is really appreciated. The keyboard is nicely spaced and easy to type on, and the fact that it has a num-pad is a big big plus.
The screen is bright and clear - which is to be expected from Samsung - resolution could've been larger given the screen size, but 1366 x 768 is good enough and pretty standard nowadays.
The i7 processor is a powerhouse - it's looked at everything I've thrown at it so far and laughed. More than ample hard drive space, memory, etc.
USB 3.0 - big plus!
Onboard video card instead of integrated graphics means I can game with this machine - got a 6.4 out of 7.9 Windows Experience Index.

Now to those quirks I was talking about:

The computer took 45 minutes to start up the first time because it was busily installing all the Samsung Bloatware. The computer comes packed with semi-useful applications that will backup, restore, make and play dvds, help your computer save power, keep your battery alive longer; you name it.
While I guess a lot of these utilities may be useful (I will see) I'm most likely going to remove them.
Oh yes, and it comes with Norton - be sure to remove that first thing.

It took me longer to uninstall half of the crap they put on it than it did to start the thing up the first time.

You cannot change the power settings without doing some registry tweaking. Let me clarify - Samsung has helpfully setup a power profile to help you maximize battery life and use as little power as possible when plugged in (marketed as earth friendly). However, this means that you are stuck with the predetermined options that Samsung has determined are best. The only way to modify these settings is to nuke them in the registry and begin fresh with a new profile. Frustrating to say the least.

Otherwise, the case seems durable - though the lid will be a fingerprint / dust / scratch magnet as it is glossy.
If you need a powerhouse laptop that will handle everything from web surfing to hard core gaming, I think this is your machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, Excellent Price, February 8, 2011
This laptop is a great value. To get a nice processor, graphics card, and good amount of RAM and a decent hard drive for $850 is a great buy.

I will start off with the only slight downside I have found so far with this laptop: It does use a lot of power. I don't want to list this as a "con" really, because I feel like you can only expect the battery to not last very long given the power of the thing. I get about 1.5 - 2 hours out of it (note: I'm usually multitasking when using it).

I will also mention that the webcam that is built in is pretty low-grade, but I don't plan on using it myself so it doesn't affect me.

Now for the positives I've found so far. The laptop is fast. It is quick about doing just about anything I want it to so far. Like I mentioned, I'm usually working on multiple things and this laptop has impressed me so far by keeping up.

Games look great. The screen is bright and with the GeForce 330M card behind it, your games will be impressive.

I also really like the feel of the keyboard. It reminds me of the newer generation MacBooks they way the keys are spread apart, it allows for speed typing and causes less errors. I'm not a touchpad fan myself, but I did try it out for a little and I will say it is one of the better ones I've used.

Other nice features of this laptop include the HDMI output, two USB 3.0 ports (as well as two 2.0 USB ports on the left).

Overall I'm very happy with this Samsung laptop, considering price, features, pros and cons. I would buy it again in a second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, February 10, 2011
Some information not readily apparent from the specs here:

4 USB ports: 2 USB 2 and 2 USB 3
1 HDMI
1 VGA
1 Multicard reader
The hard drive is 5400 rpm
The trackpad driver software is not Synaptics, it is ELAN and works quite well.
Number pad on keyboard!
The thing runs COOL. Seriously.

And it is fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, though not quite what I thought, January 23, 2011
I'll keep it short, sweet and simple.

The computer is fast, though I thought for an i7, it would be faster.

The keyboard takes some getting used to, as the number pad makes things a little scrunched.

The mousepad is decent, I had to go to samsung's website and ask for help to find the driver to make it work properly (ymmv). The special controls are fun and apple-esque though definitely not apple quality.

The speakers are not the greatest, as it gets quite tinny sounding when playing something loud.

Not surprisingly, this isn't a very long lasting battery but if you get this computer you should have the common sense to know that's going to happen so it doesn't really bother me. I actually think it handles quite well for all the power sucking it can do.

The monitor is fine, nothing spectacular but it's controls are easy and the brightness is more than enough for the situations I find myself in (and I live in South Florida).

I wish the power cord could be tied together a bit easier, I'm always amazed that this isn't designed with that in mind. I mean it is a portable computer, after all...

This computer is so quiet sometimes I wonder if it's on and it's wonderful at dissipating heat.

It looks great open and the fingerprints on the front, though a known issue really aren't important at all.

Overall this is a great laptop and I am quite pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as hoped..., December 25, 2010
DesTroyer99 (North Alabama USA) - See all my reviews

Pros:
--Love the keyboard. Took a second to get used to, but very nice. Agreed on a previous post about using the keypad, could be a bit tricky. But overall, very nice.
--Touchpad is pretty neat as well. A lot of the "Ipod" style gestures that could be nice.
--Quad-Core... Whoa!! how could that be bad.
--Graphic card.... haven't yet stressed it as I just received and will be soon RMA'ing.
--Beautiful looks, absolutely stunning IMO.
--Sure there are more, but I have my biased (revengeful) opinion of Samsung now.

Cons:
--Screen could be better, especially for one of the leading TV manufacturers.
--Blu Ray? would be nice for some, but not for me. But still doesn't have it.
--Number pad. Even though it is nice to have, its kinda like getting the cake without the ice cream.
--Camera is definitely not good enough for me, well maybe for the occasional chat roulette.
--5400 rpm hard drive. What good are two USB 3.0 ports that are smoking fast on transfer rates if there is a bottle neck at the internal hard drive. IMO, USB 3.0 on this machine are almost useless.
--Wireless card is deceitfully awful. Never once did I find in any specs or data sheets what chip was in here. Well, this is the reason I am RMA'ing. Broadcom junk! First of all, the one I received was, of course, faulted. I was getting G speeds from this "N" card. Second, even without a faulty card, this Linksys E3000 dual-band N router that I just spent 150 bucks on is now useless, as this card only operates in the 2.4 GHz range (only the lower of the two bands).
--The biggest con of all (yes, pun intended), is Samsung. Their support SUCKS!!!!! I received this machine for Christmas, it was wrapped in Christmas paper around the unopened Amazon box. It was missing a few of the rubber feet that are located around the display, not really a big deal. Well I was on the phone with them anyway because of the wireless card, so I figured, "Hey, why not ask for a set of these rubber feet to put on here!" Not a bad idea one might think. Granted these rubber feet things are probably like a penny for a billion of them, I ask the Samsung Tech. Well heaven forbid that they take a little pride in their products and support, all hell broke loose at this point. I ended up getting on with a "manager" (probably the tech handed the phone to the janitor) who told me that Amazon would have to replace the rubber feet since I purchased from them. WTF? C'mon, really?

So now I am typing this review, about to request my return of this machine, frustrated as I'll get out. I feel sorry for these people at Amazon that I am about to talk to, its not their fault, lol. Hopefully I will get a new machine with a working wireless card and, at least, have a somewhat decent life out of it. I am gonna tell Amazon that the reason that I am returning is because of the missing rubber feet, hopefully that will cheer me up.

Oh, and I was gonna suck it up and take an Intel 4965AGN wireless card out of another laptop of mine and put it in this Samsuck. Well... haha... about that... First of all, it voids warranty to remove the bottom cover of the machine! STUPID!!! Second, even with that panel removed I still couldn't even see where the wireless card could be. Not that I took it apart and voided my warranty, I looked it up on the internet on one of those website thingys...

Well I hope this review was somewhat helpful to someone out there, it certainly was therapeutic for me.

My final word of advice about purchasing this machine, "Don't."

Rate and Discover Movies