5.0 out of 5 stars might buy a third one *update*
Published on June 9, 2011 by buybot181

Published on May 2, 2012 by Amber N Aureden

5.0 out of 5 stars might buy a third one *update*, June 9, 2011
buybot181 (Western Hemisphere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung RF711-S02 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Several weeks ago I purchased a Samsung RF-711 while overseas. Over the years, I've been impressed with the reliability and functionality of the Samsung R series notebook computers, so I decided to check out the RF series. Understand that the RF series laptops come in a variety of configurations. To be brief - An RF-711 sold in Singapore is configured differently from an RF-711 sold in the states. The same can be said for almost every country(continent), as to where the Samsung RF-711 will have variations of components. They will differ in HDD, ODD, video card, RAM, even processor.

As I researched the RF series, one thing became clear to me. You cannot expect there to be any consistency whatsoever in the configuration of each 'specific'(S01,S02,...) model number. I've seen the RF-710-S01's w/ or w/o Blu-Ray, w/ or w/o an Intel i7, etc.. Same thing with the RF- 711. Some have Blu-Ray, some don't. Some have an i7, some don't. Some have 4GB ddr3, some have 6GB. It's important to note that the RF laptops will have a two-letter extension according to which country the laptop is being sold, i.e. Samsung RF-710-S04RU is for Russian markets.

My point being that you may encounter some discrepancy in the configuration of these laptops according to model #. Don't expect an online retailer to be accurate with the technical description of components. I've contacted several different retailers(including Amazon) and I've encountered countless contradictions from what they had listed online to what a customer service rep. actually confirmed. I've never encountered such a situation while purchasing a laptop, and I've bought quite a few over the the last 15 years.(or maybe never realized)

I for one, did not let this discourage me, as I'm willing to sort through the confusion because Samsung makes GREAT machines. I've owned an Acer, Apple, Asus, Dell,hp, Samsung, and Toshiba - several actually. I prefer the Samsung because they have had the least amount of problems and they perform VERY well.

Last week, when I arrived back in the states I bought another RF-711 from amazon - see below

NP-RF711-S02US:
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium(64bit)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
LCD: 17.3" LED HD+ (280 nit Gloss)
VRAM: NVIDIA GT540M GDDR3 1 GB Hybrid
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 750 GB
ODD: Super Multi Dual Layer (SATA)
WIRED: 1 GB LAN
COMMUNIC: 802.11bgn + BT3. OHS
COLOR: Black

Overall, this laptop has extraordinary value. It does have its drawbacks however. The lack of a Full HD screen being the main gripe. The screen on this model is average at best, be that as it may this machine performs like a champ. I rely on this laptop to run CS5 and other similar apps - and I am very impressed. If your primary use is to play games, this laptop may or may not suit your needs. I'd do some research on the 'hybrid' Optimus line of NVIDIA VRAM.

PROS:
1. Intel i7 2630QM
2. Large HDD - 750GB (5400rpm)
3. USB 3.0 [( 2 ports)4 total]
4. Bluetooth V3.0
5. 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT540M (Optimus) Graphics Processor ... see below
6. easily upgradeable to 8GB DDR3
7. battery life
8. ~~~Runs Cool! ~~~
9. Fast Start
10. Samsung software... ALL of it .

CONS:
1. Resolution 1600 x 900 (Not Full HD)
2. Screen - Average at best
3. NVIDIA control panel

When factoring all the pros and cons of this laptop and making a comparison to other machines, let me say this: Samsung software is incredible. By incredible I mean that I actually want it, it is actually useful, and it actually works. I can't say that about other notebook computer's pre-loaded software(with maybe 1 exception). Upgrade to a SSHD(2 bays) and off you go...

For me, this is the best deal available in a 17" laptop that fulfills my needs. I've bought 2 in 6 weeks and they've performed beyond my expectations.

*** Updated 7/19/11 ***
Several weeks have past since this review was created. A quick update for the Samsung RF-711's that I have purchased will add further insight. I'd like to also mention a few key points that the initial review didn't appropriately address.

The Samsung laptop purchased from Amazon is accompanied with a System Recovery Disc(OS). Theses discs have become a rarity w/ laptop purchases. My reaction to finding this disc made the unboxing so much more enjoyable. The laptop also comes equipped with Samsung System Recovery Solution 5. This utility allows the user to back up the entire OS and also create a separate back up of all Samsung applications and drivers. <- love this. Samsung Recovery Solution 5 is one of the more user friendly back up utilities that I have used, and I really like the GUI. The RF711 that was purchased overseas provided only the utility - not a disc.

Samsung WiFi manager initializes a bit slow in the event of disruption to a wireless signal. This doesn't really create a problem, nor does this conflict with Windows7 network settings. Sometimes it can be distracting when the prompt occurs a few seconds after a wireless disconnect. I decided to keep it enabled nonetheless.

The Fast Start Feature is very useful and used often. I stand behind my initial praise of Samsung software and it's ability to NOT aggravate/disappoint.

Performance of this model has been consistent. I continue to favor this laptop over all my others because of its 17" screen and the ability to run CS5 apps while multitasking w/ editors, multimedia browsers and video chat. When editing video w/ Adobe Premiere Pro, the laptop temperature does increase considerably, but I am still extremely happy with the cool running performance of the RF711-S02US.

Occasionally, I become disturbed by the poor vertical viewing angles of the 1600x900 screen. Movies look more than adequate when the physical screen itself is adjusted properly to eye level, but again the screen viewing performance leaves something to be desired.

The included 1.3-megapixel HD webcam does not perform very well in low light conditions. As the same can be said of most built in web cams, this camera needs a fair amount of light in order to have an adequate video conferencing experience. I'm using the most current drivers. I use video chat often, so this has been an unfortunate concern.

Using the multi function touch pad has been a big reason why I continue to favor this machine as of late. Using it is quick, precise, efficient and so far - glitch free. I really like the touch pad.

I have yet to purchase a third unit from Amazon, as I have a need for the language packs that only Windows7 Ultimate provides. I favor a custom configured purchase w/ Ultimate over having to perform the Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade (Home Premium to Ultimate) [Online Code] upgrade. It's worth noting that the Samsung RF712 is available from Amazon.co.uk and other overseas markets. I haven't seen any vendors selling this model in the states, if anyone is aware of the RF712 for sale in the U.S. please inform me. I'll be on the look out for this model while overseas.

There are no problems or related issues to report on either of the 2 RF711-S02s after six weeks heavy use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, September 1, 2011
This machine is great. Multi-function trackpad is amazing. I have always hated trackpads and used a mouse. However, unless doing very intricate and repetivie work, such as with word processing, it is very natural and works very well. Beautiful design and typing actually much more accurate because keys are separated and don't bump into each other. Works extrmely well and no problems. Very fast machine. Unless you are plannign on runnign a FPS on high settings or anything requiring full HD, the resoulution is fine and you will never notice. The fact that the hard drive is only 5400rpm instead of 7200 again doesn't matter all that much unless you intend on running the machine to its extremes. This computer should last and keep up for years with the amount of ram that comes with it. Great value, fairly light for its size. Batter power is very good.

If you want a quality piece of hardware at an extremely great value, BUY THIS MACHINE. You will not regret and it is worth it

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery life literally 10 min. Samsung Customer Service is really bad, May 2, 2012
We purchased the 17.3 inch model NP-RF711 about six month ago. We loved the screen and performance about this Samsung but the battery life was only 3 hours normal use. Still, we were mostly using it home so 3 hours was enough. But, that was just a beginning! Few month later it went down drastically and now its literally ten minutes! So, we contacted Samsung about this issue and after they verified everything they told us to ship it to them by UPS and wait at least two weeks for them first to test it. Now, we had a Sony laptop being warranty serviced before and they never expected us to give out our laptop for at least a two weeks in order for them to first test it. I offered their Customer Service rep. Jessica to take it to a Samsung Service Center which I know they have in the area but they only give you one option - mail it and wait! Their Rep was unprofessional and unfortunately very ignorant. You would get more help from automated answering machine probably than from their Service team. I hope this will warn some of you considering buying Samsung laptop. Don't buy it unless you confident you wont have to ever call their Service Department! Save your money and buy something else, not worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable work horse, June 4, 2014
I was a little skeptical about getting a laptop from Samsung, since I'd never used one before, but thought I'd give it a shot since their other products are good. So glad I did. This computer has been rock solid for me since I bought it over 4 years ago now. I work in IT, so do a lot of database development andsome web programming. Also like to dabble in adobe Premiere for making vacation videos. Systems handles all of those robust programs well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ver pleased, December 30, 2012
This is a great laptop, quite powerful. Nice graphics for an intermediate gamer, nice and powerful processor, not a great hard drive (get a SSD). Overal, i'm very pleased with this laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor service, December 12, 2012
I bought it from Compusa and I thought it was Grate. But then i am having problems with the battery. I calles Samsung, i.was told the battery was to last 5 hours. It has never lasted 3 hours. They did there testing and replaced the battery. Then within a.week after getting it back, the DVD drive was not working and the batter was still not holding a charge for the 5 hours. Still only for 3 hours. I called them agian and got another service ticket befor the warrenty ran out but they did not send out a label to send it back. I had this problem the first time too. I called them 3 times to get the label and then they were telling me it was out of warrenty. Finaly i got a.supervisor who said that they would fix it 1 time for customer satifaction. I said the problem and complaint was submitted to you befor the warranty ran out and you were supost to send a shipping label and never did so it should be done for that reason. But she never agreed to that. I still to this day have problems with the battey and now the left mousepad buttin is failing i called them and was told it would be almost 200 dollars to fix it. After 18 months and 3 thing failing making it almost useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased, April 30, 2012
P. Lach (Northern Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
with this laptop. I've had it for a little over a month. It was incredibly easy to setup. The keyboard is easy to use, the picture quality is amazing. It's a nice big screen. I did quite a bit of research before choosing this and I am delighted with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impatient person's dream laptop., April 30, 2012
Aaron Thomas (Port of Spain, Trinidad) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop, 8 months ago for my wife who is impatient, especially when it comes to slow processors. She has told me on many occasions that, "I love it! I love it! I love it!" which in itself is the best of compliments. This thing really moves fast! She is pleased, therefore so am I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big screen, fast startup, February 1, 2012
This is my first Samsung computer, and I am very pleased. The big screen and fast startup are wonderful. This is a great computer.

Rate and Discover Movies