Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on May 23, 2014
So I bought this appliance from scratch n dent in Paterson NJ about 2 month ago. Need a small refrigerator for my small kitchen condo. Today I heard a loud noise like a clogged forced fan. Inspecting the inside I noticed ice in the back vent. I Used a knife, got the ice out. Noise still there. I turn it off using the breakers from breaker box. Then to Google for information. I Found out that is somewhat Common problem . After reading and watching a YouTube I did the following. Took everything out unscrew the center rear vent panel(3 screws). Took the panel out. I noticed the fan was cover in ice the blade rubbing on ice making the loud noise. Took all the ice carefully and use blow dryer to melt most of it. Pour hot water on the drain to make sure it works. Put everything back. So far it's working. I just wanna point out I had my setting on e.saver which turn condensation off. March April where dry months but the last week has been more humid. The manual recommend to have e.saver off on humid warmer days. I hope this helps. It's better the old refrigerator.
on June 3, 2014
We purchased this refrigerator for a new house we bought. Price was great and it has great reviews by Consumer Reports. After about 2 years, the refrigerator started having difficulty keeping temperature. I called Samsung's Technical Department but was turned away since the fridge was out of warranty. I went to their website to find a repair technician and the closest one is over 500 miles away... shocking considering I live in the SF Bay Area. I called about a dozen refrigerator repair guys from yelp before finding someone willing to come out and work on it. Turns out the refrigerant coils iced up solid, and the defroster couldn't do anything about it, so the air wasn't flowing to cool the refrigerator. The compressor was running constantly, which was only making the problem worse. The repair guy defrosted it and tested to make sure the defroster was working. It was, it's just not designed well enough to handle the needs of the refrigerator. About every 6 weeks I now have to take the back of the refrigerator off to defrost the frozen coils. Read around online, this problem is not unique to just my refrigerator or model. And be forewarned that it can take months to get replacement parts should you need them, and by the time you pay to get it installed you might as well have just bought another new fridge. That's what we're doing. Saving a few hundred dollars will definitely cost you a lot more if you purchase this refrigerator.
on July 20, 2014
This fridge is incredibly poor on humidity control. Before it was two years old, the drawers were filling with water. Incredibly irritating since there is nowhere else to put veggies. Just now I have an inch of water is both and had to throw out a bunch of greens.
YUCK.
on October 23, 2015
Yo! Same problem as all the 1-stars. But I solved it and love the fridge. It's shameful that Samsung didn't fix this for everyone. A repair technician couldn't fix it for me. So I found the solution by googling. It's incredibly simple to fix! For this post, here's a video explaining how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE10_puZWKo
on September 8, 2014
These Samsung French Door refrigerators have a defrosting problem where water accumulates under the crisper drawers. The water can freeze up and lock the drawers in place. The front flimsy plastic drawers can & will break off into shards of plastic when you try to free them. Check the Internet you will find several tutorials on how to remove the back panel & free the frozen drain valve & raise the refrigerator temperature. This will eliminate frozen drawers but the puddling will soon return. Samsung is running like weasels from the hordes of consumers who trusted brand name only to learn that their talent ends with TVs. Don't buy it.
on September 17, 2014
Like many others here, my Samsung 217 fridge has stopped cooling. This is my first Samsung appliance, and will definitely be my last. Too bad, because they are gorgeous to look at, but fail miserably at the job they are designed for.

For several months, water has been accumulating in the crisper drawers and eventually ice formed out of the vents in the back. I 'defrosted' the machine by unplugging it for several hours to let the ice melt. So far, this hasn't helped much. The wildly fluctuating temperature has resulted in the loss of untold groceries (since we didn't recognize the fluctuations initially). I only realized the severity of the issue when it caused a nasty case of food poisoning which left me home during the day to notice the fridge at 50+ degrees.

Worse even than the lost groceries and awful food poisoning- I am a type 1 diabetic, which means I need insulin to live. Insulin needs to be refrigerated, but not frozen. When kept at room temperature, it degrades- working less efficiently, before expiring completely. There is no way to tell what state my insulin is in by looking, but the recent (previously) unexplained increase in my insulin requirements suggests my entire supply needs to be replaced.

I've called every repair shop in town and the soonest appointment I can get is a week from now. Samsung online support is supposed to get back to me within 2-3 business days and their website support indicated the nearest certified repair tech is 500 miles away (absurd given that I live in San Francisco, a 7 million person metro area). Most of the local shops won't work on Samsung fridges because Samsung 'takes forever with parts and provides no support', as a sympathetic tech said, “they're one headache after another”.

When I googled the issue, I was shocked to see that my problem is a very common complaint with this and other Samsung models. When I purchased it (late 2011), the reviews were fairly positive. Amazing what 3 years can do! Samsung had a class action suit brought in 2010, regarding some other models, but it looks like more could be added (see here: http://www.zimmreed.com/Samsung-Refrigerator/20856/ ).
on August 18, 2014
Samsung refrigerators are subject to a still developing class action law suit. Enough said.
on December 19, 2013
The highest temperature for the freezer is still too cold for products like ice cream and other product that do not need to be frozen to last 2 years. Several ideas about the source of the problem on the internet, but I haven't found any that actually work. The refrigerator should come with a jackhammer.
on September 16, 2014
I am 69 years old and have purchased many appliances over the years and this Samsung RF217 REFRIGERATOR IS THE WORST!!
It does not defrost. We have snow, and not a little, all year long. Water kept dripping into one of the drawers so badly that my wife had to keep a towel in the drawer to soak up the water. We had 2 repair calls which helped for a few weeks, then back it went to the problems. My advice - STAY AWAY!!!!!!!
on February 10, 2016
We bought this lousy refrigerator about 3 years ago because it was the one that worked best in my poorly designed 1962 era kitchen. At the time, the reviews were good. Spent years pouring water out of the crisper drawers and removing water and sometimes ice from under them. After hearing lots of loud noise for about a week it was quiet again and I thought we had some time to save up for a new fridge since repair didn't seem worth doing according to the reviews here. Well, the refrigerator section finally quit working yesterday. We were lucky enough to be able to borrow a small used refrigerator (which is now in the garage) from the appliance store until they can get the new one to us in a week. I am so angry that Samsung continued to produce and sell refrigerators they knew were defective and would fail within only a few years. We had to get a larger fridge that cost twice as much and does not fit as well but hopefully it will last a reasonable amount of time unlike this one. Samsung should have stuck to electronics. No more Samsung appliances for me... EVER!