5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone so far for us!
First of all, this is probably not the phone for a teenager; it just doesn't have the "cool" look most of them require. However, if you're an adult simply looking for a good phone with great volume and reception, this one would work for you. We also like to customize our ringtones and that works out fine. I can't speak for any of the other features since we really...
Published on August 11, 2010 by Mcmorty

2.0 out of 5 stars Virtual Entrapment
I'm still fairly new with this phone so I won't speak to it's long term durability as some other reviewers have but my first impression is SAMSUNG has made a fairly decent product that's been turned into a money shake-down device by AT&T. My father who is quite inept with technology and notoriously hard on his phones chose the Rugby as it seemed to offer simplicity and...
Published on December 31, 2010 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars OK phone but serious bug, October 18, 2011
Yoda (Storrs Mansfield CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
If you are looking for a somewhat old-fashioned cell phone -- i.e., no touchscreen and no querty pad -- this may be the one for you; indeed, I am okay with it in all respects except one, but it's a biggie. Thus, there is a PTT key on the left-hand side of the phone that is extremely sensitive and almost unavoidable when you open or otherwise handle the phone. As a result, I've received the PTT initialization prompt about three dozen times during my first two days of ownership. If you WANT PTT, that might not be so bad; but I want neither to use nor to pay for the feature, so this is a problem I encounter virtually every time I use the phone. I used the Samsung web site to ask how I might go about disabling the feature and received a response revealing that Samsung doesn't know how to do it. They suggested that I get in touch with my service provider, which I will do eventually, but I am stunned that Samsung doesn't have a fix for this. I would not have purchased the phone if I had known about this problem.

This is my first -- and likely my last -- product from Samsung, and I don't much like their web site either. I had a very simple query -- could I get a wired earphone or headset for this phone -- and it took a lot of work to find the right product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even close to rugged, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
What a terrible phone. I broke the exterior screen on the this phone after having it for 3 months. The phone was still clipped to my belt and had not even fallen. After a long argument with AT&T they finally agreed to replace it. After all this is supposed to be a tough phone.Got the replacement and approx 6 months latter the exterior screen again broke. At&T would not consider replacing the second phone and samsung could have cared less. The speaker quality is terrible as well as the microphone. I constantly have to yell into the phone so someone can hear me. Just crap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy reception, February 17, 2012
Bugeye58 (Highland, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for roughly six months, and frankly, it's a piece of garbage. It consistently performs very poorly as far as reception goes. I've had to terminate calls because I couldn't hear the ther party well enough to continue. I never had this problem with my old Motorola EM330.
Texting is a chore with the poorly laid out format requiring you to change screens for simple punctuation or numeric functions.
AT&T keeps trying to blame the reception issues on a local network problem. A coworker has an identical phone with the identical problem. Other coworkers with AT&T service, but different phones do not have this issue.
As an MP3 player coupled with my Bluetooth it's great.
As a phone, it leaves a lot to be desired.

4.0 out of 5 stars PTT Cure, non-permanent solution. SILICONE!, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The biggest reason that I see people not liking on this phone is the PTT button and it's annoying inability to be deactivated or reassigned.

Rather than glue it or clip the little nib that activates the PTT inside the button, what I did easy is and totally reversible:

I pried the button out, smeared a little bit of RTV Silicone into the recess, replaced the button, wiped off the excess silicone and let it cure overnight. The button will no longer depress and activate the annoying PTT message, and if need be, I can simply reverse it by peeling the silicone out of the button recess.

I used RTV Black Silicone gasket goop, but I am sure any silicone will do nicely. The RTV is nicely color matched and the excess wipes away easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars durable, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
i have bought two of them,first off iam a contractor home repairs,i bought the first one almost 2 yrs ago and has been beat around the jobsite,once i dropped it 2 and half stories off roof landed on the conc patio,just jared the sims card loose,after pushing it in it works as new, i have a daily habit of putting my ph between my legs as i drive and when i get out ,it never fails my phone bounces off the ground,it still worked good,one day my contract was up for renewal so i got a new one same kind,stashed the old beat up one away,lastweek i was at gas station and left my ph on top of pump and drove off,no one returned it.so i retrieved my old one had a new sims card installed,charged it up and BAM ! it still works,so yes it is very durable and takes a beating,

1.0 out of 5 stars Rugged phone? Don't make me laugh!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Got this phone 5 months ago on a new contract for my son who was in Afghanistan. When he returned he decided he didn't like it so I kept it. The other day I got the phone out of my pocket and the display was messed up. Took it to an AT&T store who told me that it was a pressure crack which couldn't be repaired and wasn't covered by warranty. They acknowledged that there was no exterior damage but said that there was nothing they could do for me other than sell me a new phone. I don't subject electronics to harsh treatment, in fact the phone has been very gently handled and shows no exterior wear or tear. How can Samsung and AT&T advertise this as a rugged phone? I'm extremely disappointed that neither of them stand by this product or their customer service.

BTW - The other reviewer comments about the placement of the PTT and browser buttons are so true. Accidental activation of these services are constantly inevitable with this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone Ever, September 13, 2010
This is the best phone I have ever owned! I love it! I bought this phone becauuse Samsung lists it as "rugged". Other reviewers of this phone (with contract) have stated that it is not all that rugged. Thus far I cannot agree. It is light plastic and not as heavy or as rubberized as I was expecting, but, all in all, it will hold up quite well. The battery life is unexpectedly long, which is one of my biggest problems with my previous phone. The features are surprisingly relevent: a USB-based wall charger, voice dial (without the hassle of recording), micro SD card slot, GPS (which I have not used), etc. It has all of the features I want without the need for a data plan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash, September 23, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this in Jan. 2010, because the dealer said it was AT&T's most durable phone. I never abused or dropped the phone. After just eight months the right side hinge broke off when I answered the phone. Samsung will not honor the warrenty and considers this abuse. Now the dealer wants me to buy another? This is a piece of junk. Do not buy this phone. You will be sorry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Rugby II will not connect to any PC, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Somebody has to tell the Samsung people that this phone has serious problem connecting to PC's.
I have spent more than 20 hours on the phone talking with several different Samsung technical people and they couldn't help me find any way to connect the Samsung SGH-A847 Rugby II to any type of PC. I have three computers, one an HP desktop with Windows 7 64 bit, the other an HP desktop with Windows Vista 32 bit, the third one a laptop with Windows Vista 32 bit. For hours on end I followed the detailed instructions of Samsung Support technicians and to no avail. The phone is detected by the computer (the computer makes a sound and there is for a moment a bar in the Samsung New PC Studio software), but that's it. I purchased and added a memory card to use the 'mass storage' function, hoping this will give me some kind of connectivity, but it didn't work either. Furthermore, and this is very unfortunate to the users, the Samsung "New PC Studio" software has not been licensed and approved by Microsoft and the software is labeled by all Windows computers as a dangerous program that will harm your computer when you are in the process of installing it. Of course this is not true, (Norton Antivirus says the program is safe) but right now the problem is that Windows computers are labeling the Samsung software as dangerous and harmful when it is not and probably affecting its functionality. The Samsung "New PC Studio" is the software that is supposed to let you communicate your phone with your computer. The program loads and works but will not 'sync' with the Samsung SGH-A847 phone or connect to it, no matter how hard you try or how many tricks you pursue. Every time you get the message that there are no devices connected.
In today's world, an 'advanced' cellular phone that is not recognized by any computer and will not 'sync' or connect with the computer no matter what you try or do, is simply not acceptable.
There are also no updates or upgrades to the phone software available yet. I have also called AT&T and they don't know anything at all about this problem or care at all about it. They believe is a Samsung problem and not their problem to resolve.
It is a total shame, because apart from this serious problem, that is still unresolved by Samsung, the phone is an average phone that works.

3.0 out of 5 stars The phone is good - if you do not crack the screen, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
We had the phone approx. 45 days and the screen cracked. Our carrier would not exchange and we could not find a local place to fix it. Still works with the crack. You can see the numbers and incoming calls.
Update: Dec. 2012
I needed a new phone after 2 yrs of using the one with the crack (still works) so I got the same model (I do like the phone) and they have improved it slightly. You can actually drop this phone in water and it will work. The new phone has better volume. I got a case for the phone which protects the screen. So far so good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›