5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone so far for us!
First of all, this is probably not the phone for a teenager; it just doesn't have the "cool" look most of them require. However, if you're an adult simply looking for a good phone with great volume and reception, this one would work for you. We also like to customize our ringtones and that works out fine. I can't speak for any of the other features since we really...
Published on August 11, 2010 by Mcmorty

2.0 out of 5 stars Virtual Entrapment
I'm still fairly new with this phone so I won't speak to it's long term durability as some other reviewers have but my first impression is SAMSUNG has made a fairly decent product that's been turned into a money shake-down device by AT&T. My father who is quite inept with technology and notoriously hard on his phones chose the Rugby as it seemed to offer simplicity and...
Published on December 31, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Rugged Phone!!!, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone has taken everything I have thrown at it and more. For instance, once I accidentally left it powered on and inside my pants pocket while those pants were being machine washed. When I discovered the phone, after the wash machine was finished, the phone was still on. I did have to turn it off, take it apart, and let it dry overnight but it's still my phone today. This phone is the only phone to survive my abuse for over 2 years and running. I have noticed that recently it goes through cycles of annoyances: turning itself off or restarting in the middle of a conversion. But that's after all the mess that I have put it through. And date it still takes all daily the punishment I give it. After all my experiences with this phone, I almost don't understand why this phone is not rated 4.5 stars. Except, I am reminded that most people don't write reviews for things they enjoy; they just write reviews for things they have problems with. Please remember this when you are researching; also when you have good experiences with your purchases please share your review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two years later... I am keeping it!, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am a rough-and-tumble person. Hard on things and sometimes slippery-fingered and careless. I got this Rugby 2 almost two years ago. I am due for an upgrade, but I think I'll pass. This Samsung has lived through many falls with nary a scratch let alone a break or shatter. It is rugged, indeed. Although I have never dropped it into a toilet or run over it with a car (as some have claimed) I HAVE been very hard on it. It has endured. The voice quality is good, the camera adequate and the screen small but clear. The clam-shell design seems obsolete but is a entirely sensible given the intent of the overall design... physical stamina! Although it lacks the capacities of a "smart" phone, it does the things it dies reliably.
Since ATT no longer keeps them in stock and most of the upgrade choices are the full-featured (and fully vulnerable) Smart phones, I'm passing on this upgrade. For me, any available upgrade would be an downgrade. When you have what you need, why change just to get something new?
If your priority is for a basic phone that stands up to some physical abuse, get ahold of a Rugby2... You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I have owened, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is the best cell phone I have ever owned. I am a truck driver and depend on my cell phone for everything. In fact I don't even have a land line any longer. MY current Rugby is the 3rd I have had. Everytime my contract is up I get another one. It is rugged and can take a good drop and take getting wet. Now days with the new D.O.T. Regulations I always use a blue tooth and it still works just fine. If you need a flip phone that is good size and can take a beating this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Landscape Contractor's dream, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
For a while I was breaking and buying a new phone about once a year. It has been about 3 years with this same phone and I love it. As an owner of a landscape company, I need a phone in my pocket all the time. I often answer it with wet, muddy gloves without a problem. My phone takes a lot of abuse in my pocket. I'm always climbing trees, crawling in dirt, carrying boulders against my thigh and often working in the rain. I WANTED a smart phone, but I NEEDED a tough, trustworthy phone. This may not be a smart phone, but it is one of the most important tools my company has. A smart phone is worthless if it can't be in my pocket all the time. My customers and potential customers know they can always get a hold of me.

Scott,
owner of Living Space Landscapes
Minnesota

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have 2 phones, might sound crazy but I like talking on a flip phone,not the cheap ones and I like the productivity of the iphone. I don't really like talking on the iphone but the emails, gmail sync and text messaging is a must on the iphone. So for $10 more a month I get my extra line for talking on the samsung rugby and no need to worry about dropping it putting a screensaver on it getting a case. So nothing beats the old fashion flip for talking and the samsung rugby is the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Push To Talk, April 12, 2011
Jack Faith (GARLAND, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I like the phone but the location of the PTT button is bad. It is too easy to accidently push it when you are holding it. I solved this problem by using some super glue and gluing the button so it could not be used. I have not intention of ever using PTT anyway. Other wise I like the phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best flip phone on the market, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone feels and looks high quality. It is kind of big but not too heavy. Other flip phones I've handled feels like cheap toys in comparison. The call quality is great. Long battery life. Super loud speakerphone. Bluetooth works great, pairs well with my Bose BT-2 and Plantronics Voyager Legend. The too-easily-to-accidentally-press PTT button is really annoying like others have said. I fixed it by disassembly the phone to remove the button. I then put a thin piece of silicone tubing behind the button, making it much harder to inadvertently press, but still functional. The earphone volume seems too low initially, but now seems fine. I either have gotten use to it or it may be "broken-in". I'm using the phone with a leather Turtleback case for added protection and improved grip.

2.0 out of 5 stars step down from Motorola Tundra, July 20, 2012
Chuck (Marysville WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone a week ago because ATT didn't stock the Motorola Tundra.

Tundra had been through 4 years of rough use including purposly throwing it on the floor when someone was bragging about their new smart phone.

I wasn't impressed with the construction when I purchased it but had to have a replacement.

The Rugby II was the toughest phone stocked at the store. The included software to sync to my PC does not work, nor do any newer versions downloaded from Samsung. There is no support through Samsung for their software that I can find.

The soft keys are programmable and I have made them match my old tundra. That is a real plus.

I have read a lot of complaints about inability to disable PTT but I don't think it can be disabled on the tundra either.

There is no option to disable the data keys. The Tundra allowed locking the browser and other data usage so there were no inadvertent connections. IM is the only lockable internet ap in the Rugby II

Tundra was able to usb connect to PC for data transfer. Rugby II has to have a mini sim card installed before it will even try.

Cant speak to durability yet but you can be assured I will not toss this one on the floor

5.0 out of 5 stars Best international phone ever, April 30, 2012
R. James "39000" (Princeville, HI, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Bought this in January. It works in US, over Europe even in Japan. I do not understand the comments about poor reception, mine works really really well. Nice look and feel, solid well made and rugged. Very happy. Very hard to get any international info out of Samsung or AT&T but glad I bought it. Very very satisfied. I use this phone to make phone calls as I have a Blackberry and and Iphone for browsing, emails, music etc. It is also really nice it is a flip phone so it does not autodial in pants pocket nor switch itself on in flight. Only downer is PTT button which keeps asking me if I want to set up PTT. I wish I could disable it.

1.0 out of 5 stars No a happy customer, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Rugby II, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
We liked this phone for a couple of days. However, after a few days I can not hear and understand the caller without putting it on speaker phone. Also it has begun to drop calls. Took it in, the tech put a new updated sim card it in. Helped but still have a problem. Oh how I'd like to have a Razor phone!!! This is not a good phone to carry on business.

Rate and Discover Movies