Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

... as long as you root it and install the StickMount application, which requires root privileges. Once you've done that, you have eliminated the biggest flaw on the Nexus 7. Note that this seller offers a similar device that costs $5 less and I can't tell the difference between the two; I hope someone can chime in to explain.

[UPDATE]
As pointed out by Josh D. in the comments below, you can use the app "Nexus Media Importer" which does not require rooting.
If your Nexus is rooted, however, I would strongly recommend the free app "Paragon NTFS" which adds support for NTFS (Windows) and HFS+ (Mac) partitions. This means you'll be able to hook up any memory stick or even hard drive, and access files larger than 2 or 4 GB.
2323 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
UPDATE:
I just wanted to add that this still works with my new devices too. I have used on a Nexus 7, NVidia Shield Tablet, and Samsung Galaxy S5.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recieved this today, after 2 day delivery. Works as advertized on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII, un-rooted.
-The grey button-looking thing it the activity light, red and green.
-Only 1 port works at a time, so you cant have the SD, microSD, and a USB device in at the same time, only 1 shows up on the SIII.
-I was hoping the microUSB would also charge the phone, even though the description says it is for powering external devices, and unfortunately, it does not also charge the phone.
- Took some pictures from my DSLR and used this to upload my RAW files to Dropbox, then import into Lightroom. Now I don't have to worry about running out of cards for my camera.
In all a great accessory for my phone. I would def recommend it. I just wish it charged the phone too.
on January 2, 2013
Huge grip: Shipping took 8 days when it was only supposed to take 2. I won't dock the product for that, but this is the first time that I have a complaint about horrible shipping though UPS. They didn't even try to knock on my door, they just left it at the managers office.

The product itself is easy to use. You can attach a PS3 controll if using an OTG dongle and play your favorite ROMS. Currently I'm playing Street Fighter II! Also I love the SD card input. Now I don't have to wait until I get home from a day of taking pictures. I can just upload them directly to my phone with this connection kit. Love this item. Probably one of the best items you can own for the Note 2. I'm thinking of purchasing another one.
on November 2, 2012
I'm a new Verizon and Samsung Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535) user in the US. When I found out that the S3 had the potential for USB host mode capabilities, I searched around for a suitable device that could accommodate different options. My ultimate goal was to have something small to take on trips that we could use to transfer pictures from our digital camera's SD card to the phone, and from the phone to Facebook, email, ordering prints, or whatever.

This product arrived ridiculously fast: ordered on Monday, here by Wednesday, and that was with STANDARD shipping!

I spent a day in near panic mode because I simply couldn't get this device to work with my phone. I'd plug it in, plug in a flash drive or an SD card, and nothing was accessible. Then, towards the end of the day, I plugged it in and it "popped" right back out on its own! Ever have an "a-ha!" moment? That was mine for the day. I have a pretty rugged case, and, even though the port was open and there was more than just the bare minimum of a cutaway, this device needs to be fully seated. So I removed the bottom half of my case, crossed my fingers, and plugged it in. Wow! Now there's a green light on it. Plug in the SD card from the camera, and I was viewing pictures from the SD card right on my phone! Copy a couple to the phone (pretty quick for 16 megapixel pictures) with NO problem! Flash drive works well, too.

A couple of notes:
-At least with my model of S3, I did NOT have to root the phone. It's the Verizon branded Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
-As mentioned above, you may not be able to get this to work with a case on the phone. My case happens to slide together in two pieces, so removing the case is not a big deal for me.
-No special software was required -- when you plug it in and add one device, the phone shows the USB symbol in the notification area and then a window opens to allow browsing the device
-You need to "unmount" devices before unplugging them from the phone -- you need to go into notifications, and you'll then see a message by the USB symbol telling you to tap there to safely disconnect the device.
-I tried connecting the camera directly the the USB port on the device using its charging cable, and although the phone seemed to recognize that there was media there and it opened the usual browse window, it just seemed to hang. This was with a 16 GB card in the camera and 11 GB of pictures on the card, so the phone may not be providing sufficient power to handle the load with only the camera's battery as a power source.
-Although you can work with files on the media you attach without having to copy them to the phone first, other reviewers stated that copying to the phone results in quicker processing when working with any files. This is the method I used.
on September 20, 2013
The bad news is that we purchased this connector for our Samsung Galaxy SIII which is housed in an Otterbox case. Because the micro connector on this unit is so small the protective case does not allow it to fit into the receptical on the phone. It is well build and appears that it would be an excellent addition for anyone who either is willing to carve away some of the protection of the Otterbox or who does not use a phone case.

HOWEVER, I was most impressed with the customer service. As soon as Irequested to return this connector, the RMA was immediately sent AND the refund was made BEFORE I sent the unit out ... NOW THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE! This is why I gave this product a 4 star rating and would not hesitate to purchase from this company again.
on December 5, 2012
The lack of SDcard support on tablets like the Nexus 7 and 10 is a constant source of frustration for me. The assumption that users have access to cloud storage and free wifi falls down when you're on an aeroplane for example!

Luckily I stumbled across this product on Amazon, and bought it to see if it would enable easy transfer from external storage cards. Imagine my delight when it worked! Coupled with the app Nexus Media Importer, I was able to transfer files directly from a microSDHC card, and a standard SDcard. The transfer speed was impressive too. Now I know I can throw this in my bag along with a memory card of movies, etc, and transfer them onto my Nexus anywhere - exponentially increasing the storage capacity of my new Nexus 10.

Highly recommended!
on December 17, 2013
Bought this for my Nexus 7 2013(2nd gen) and I've tested the SD slot with 720p videos from my GoPro H2 and it works perfectly. Also tested the USB slot with a 64g thumb drive full of music and it worked.

You don't need to root anything! Just download the "Nexus Media Importer" for $3.99 off the app store! This allows you to actual transfer files onto your nexus as well.
I also suggest "MX Player"(free app) for video playback otherwise your Nexus probably wont recognize a lot of your video files.
review image
on October 25, 2012
I had my doubts when I purchased this connection kit. But it worked perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my Nexus7. Since my Nexus7 does not have a slot for additional memory I use an external 16GB pen drive with this connection kit and it worked 100%!
on August 29, 2014
The main point for me is that it works were and it is small and sturdy.
It a nice size to be able to drop it in a backpack/bag/whatever.

I wouldn't plan on using it by leaving it in the mobile device 24x7, but for those times when you wish you could quickly swap out a card in a phone to get more music or files, this is the next best thing to that.
The "cloud" comes in at a distant 3rd because of network speeds and lack of really nation or worldwide accessible wireless.

Compared in relative size to a phone, it seems a bit big, but compared the size of a pocket or backpack or purse or bag it's pretty tiny.
Also it is NOT a cable, so when plugged in to a phone you do not have to deal with a dangley thing hanging off the device and catching on things and just generally being a nuisance.
(see "dongle effect" and if there isn't such a term that should have been one years ago)

On the down side it share many of the downsides normal to the micro-sd cards and other things.
It is not always clear which side of the msd card should be facing up when inserting one.
One of the ports is misleading, because it is not there to be another option, it is there so you can add power to something else plugged in. But I personally find that it covers all the basic ports I need to plug storage or devices in to my phone or tablet that totally lacks an SD or microSD port on it.

It is a great option to bypass the brilliant decision makers that decided leave off external card slots or just have device provide normal usb ports.
If people didn't want or need to be able to access cards and devices from their phone, the people making these things couldn't afford to keep making them.
on July 3, 2012
Works great on Galaxy Note. Love the Full sized USB, Full sized SD, the Micro SD and I plug in my Anker 8400 mah 5v power block and run phone forever. It is small and snuggles to the bottom of your device with 6 pin micro USB Port.

I have owned for over 6 months bought the sister model for my Galaxy Note 10.1.
Then I was playing around and plugged a small 4 port powered hub, into the full USB port and hooked a keyboard mouse combination endgame controller on my 5.3 Note. Who knew?
1414 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse