4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price
I think the monitor is very nice. I have a couple of comments, though.
The buttons are a little awkward - pieces of the plastic bezel on top of some sort of buttons.
Also, the ability to rotate the display would be much more useful if the stand were tall enough to be able to rotate it.
Finally, I use it as a second monitor on my laptop, so the whizzy tools...
Published 15 months ago by P. Smith

This is nice package with cable management, etc., but for desktop monitors with included speakers (been viable for the last 8-10 years), this monitor had the worst output I have ever heard in 20 years of building systems. I pretty much couldn't hear it and the volume was all the way up, plus it sounded tin can-ish.

The picture was great. Add-ons like...
Published 15 months ago by jp5472

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Samsung S24A450MW 24 inch Widescreen 1000:1 5ms DVI LED LCD Monitor, w/ Speakers (Matte Black) (Electronics)
I think the monitor is very nice. I have a couple of comments, though.
Finally, I use it as a second monitor on my laptop, so the whizzy tools for autorotate and managing the display from the computer (rather than the buttons) doesn't work. Has to be the primary monitor to use those features.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had desktop computers 20 years ago with better sound out of a single internal speaker, March 31, 2013
jp5472 "Joe" (Haddon Heights, NJ USA) - See all my reviews

The picture was great. Add-ons like MultiScreen and MagicTune - worthless. Skip them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a good deal, August 26, 2012
Would be 4.7 stars in a fractional world, I knocked a star off because the pair I bought aren't identical, display wise.

Highly recommended for software development due to the dynamic contrast setting. If you frequently switch between dark color terminal windows (i.e. a dark background and white text) and IDE windows (white backgrounds and dark text) you know what it's like adapting to the brightness change when you're working in a semi-dark office. With the "Magic Bright" setting the monitor compensates very quickly when you switch between them making it much easier on the eyes.

Yes, the extra 120 lines on the screen (1920x1200 vs 1920x1080) make a big difference, particularly if you're doing software design or other sorts of graphics/diagramming.

I've been using Samsung 245BW and 244T LCDs (older 1920x1200 units) for my dual display setup and I was perfectly happy with them, but I'm changing my office to use a stand-up workstation with a dual-monitor arm to hold the displays up and unfortunately both those older LCDs are way too heavy (over 21 pounds) and way too thick (~4") to use with the display arms. So I bought two of these A450 LCDs. They're super light and very thin.

As many others have said, the display looks awful out of the box. I have no idea why Samsung ships them with such horrible default settings. Read the manuals and play with the settings and you can get them to look really nice, but be prepared to spend 20-30 minutes fiddling with the buttons to make them right.

I've got both of mine looking almost as good as my 245BW did. The reason I gave them 4 stars is because the one display is very noticeably "colder" than the other. I've tried a fair amount of tweaking but it's just plain bluish looking and a bit overly bright. Even resetting both of them to the default values and then performing the identical tweaks on each still results in very different looking displays. It's not horrible for my uses but if I were a graphic artist doing multiple displays on a budget, it would be unacceptable. (Yeah, I know, graphic artists shouldn't be using inexpensive business monitors, but let's face it, if they're on a starvation budget they'd be crazy not to at least give these a try)

They include a full set of cables, both VGA and DVI plus audio and USB.

The monitor stands are as good as the ones on the 244/245. They easily raise and rotate as needed.

One other difference with older fluorescent LCDs - and I know this sounds obvious but even I underestimated the real-world difference - is the power consumption. The older LCDs used over 100W each in operation, these new ones use only 32W max. Way back when I switched from CRTs to LCDs there was a small but noticeable temperature drop in my office due to less heat generated by the displays, but going from fluorescent backlit to LED backlit panels it's night and day! My home office (9.5' x 10.5' bedroom) is a full 3F cooler just from switching to these displays! Lower temps on hot summer days make it much easier on the geek in front of the monitors as well as the computers next to them. The cats however are a bit annoyed at the lack of heat sources.

Another difference I notice: the primary display is plugged in to an IOGear 4 port DVI KVM switch while the secondary display is plugged directly into the computer. With the older 245BW about 80% of the time when the computer would reboot or wake from sleep, the primary would do some funky stuff where pure black pixels would show up as a sparkling blue/white noise. The only way to fix it was to switch the KVM to a different computer and then back again. I always blamed the KVM switch, but neither of these SA450 displays have that problem. Everything works flawlessly.

I think they're an excellent value and very good displays.

Rate and Discover Movies