4.0 out of 5 stars A fine monitor, do not be afraid...
I am a GUI developer and was working with a 22" and 19" monitor and found the 19" monitor wasn't "cutting it" on my current project. I had so many windows open, I found I was constantly moving windows around, which was slowing me down.

Published on September 22, 2011 by Happytule

3.0 out of 5 stars good, but not great
I bought this mainly because of price and 27 inch...but a bigger screen only magnifies this monitors shortcomings.
Text is NOT sharp at all
You have to play pin the tail on the donkey to find the keys...physical buttons are better in my opinion.
I never could get the display to be the correct brightness / contrast.

Upon returning it, I discovered...
Published on January 18, 2012 by W. ONeal

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine monitor, do not be afraid..., September 22, 2011
This review is from: Samsung S27A350H 27-Inch Class LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)

So I started research monitors: 24" vs 27". I had pretty much decided on an Acer 27" monitor, then saw this monitor at CostCo with a $50 rebate and made an impulse purchase.

Brought it to work, hooked it up and off I went!

Let me tell you, the colors are AMAZING compared to an LCD monitor...white looks white. In comparison, on my 22" LCD monitor white looks like my 6 month old white socks that have been on hikes and out in the dirt and never really clean up very well.

The Samsung monitor IS bright, but I didn't find it overly bright, in fact I didn't change any settings, just hooked it up and went back to work.

I am connecting a DVI output on my computer into the VGA port on the monitor and the picture is very nice.

I've tried displaying a few of my better photographs and they truly look stunning.

Something to consider, however, is that this is a 'budget' 27" monitor (a non-budget 27" monitor will run you $900 or so) and it has the same number of pixels as a typical 24" monitor.

This means you have the same resolution on this 27" monitor as on a 24" monitor, which means the 27" monitor will have LARGER pixels, which will reduce the quality is some applications.

Think of it terms of a "crowd sign" where everyone holds a sign over their head to create a message that can be seen from the air.

If everyone were to fold their cardboard so it was 1/3 smaller and then scrunch into a smaller space, you would see the same message but it would sharper and more defined.

Same thing here.

I did a lot of comparing between 24" and 27" monitors, taking photos of both and comparing them and there IS a noticeable difference between the two.

Text on the 27" monitor is little ragged compared to the 24" monitor. In fact I have to admit it reminded me of the bad old CGA days. It's not THAT bad, of course, but you will notice a difference between the two if you compare them side by side.

I did think about dropping down to a 24" monitor to sharpen things up a little, but decided I would rather have the extra real estate with the 27" monitor so I can more windows open on my monitor.

Honestly, if this was my primary monitor I probably would drop down to the 24" size...

As for the buttons they are NOT membrane buttons nor are they hard to use. They appear to be capacitive sensors, as seen on smart phones and other high-end electronics and they work very well. You simply put your finger on the hard plastic of the bezel and your "button" is activated.

This monitor is a nice one, VERY light weight, and setup was a breeze.

I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The S27A350H is a great monitor - one of the best 60Hz 27" available, December 1, 2011
Although it's quite a subjective thing most people who I showed the monitor to agreed that the S27A350H is a nice looking bit of kit - the pictures don't really do it justice, as is often the case. It has gently rounded corners and a very glossy black bezel (as is usual for entertainment monitors these days) but has the usual Samsung refinements including a flush perspex border and red accents. There is nothing sticking out in the control area as the buttons are touch-sensitive. Some people would prefer tactile buttons but you rarely have to use the OSD of the monitor once it's set up and they were pretty responsive anyway. The power LED is red but is relatively small and not overly bright so isn't generally distracting - but is certainly in keeping with the overall color scheme on the monitor.

The monitor provides a pretty decent performance out of the box but was easy enough to tweak to enhance the image. Using the following settings provided rich varied and balanced colors (spot on 2.2 gamma and 6500K whitepoint) without upsetting contrast too much - a contrast ratio of around 1000:1 was recorded in the centre of the screen which is very good, particularly after calibration. The color balance tends to differ a little between individual units so these should only be used as a guide, but all S27A350Hs tend to react in a similar way to contrast and gamma settings:

- Brightness 75 (according to preferences)
- Contrast 60
- Gamma 'Mode 3'
- Red 50
- Green 48
- Blue 56

To keep costs down and make connectivity as universal as possible Samsung decided to forgo DVI and provide HDMI. Some Nvidia GPUs in particular will treat the monitor as an HDTV and output the wrong color signal type but this is easy to tweak in the driver:

- Go to `Display' and `Adjust desktop color settings'
- From the `content type reported to the display' dropdown select `Desktop programs'.

This will tell the GPU it's connected to a monitor, not a TV and the image should appear similar to on AMD GPUs natively.

The monitor is also very responsive with some good news for gamers - next to no input lag and relatively low levels of trailing. The default response time setting of 'Faster' proved optimal. The 'Normal' mode disabled grey to grey acceleration whilst the 'Fastest' mode did little to reduce conventional trailing but only added additional 'overdrive trailing' (inverse ghosting if you prefer). Under the 'Fastest' mode the performance of the monitor is similar to a scaled up version of the infamous Samsung PX2370 which makes it good for any genré of game and about as good as you're going to get from a 60Hz monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Settings, October 29, 2011
I almost returned this monitor and I very seldom return products. The image was not good at all. Text VERY difficult to read. I noticed a review on a different site that mentioned ATI graphic cards will automatically "scale" the image 15%. I did not even have an option to change this setting in my display settings. This is because I did not install the full catalyst package from ATI due to all the program bloat.

Once I did install the full program, I was able to gain access to the scaling setting and that made a HUGE difference. Seems like the pixels had a weird "compression" effect before and now...MUCH better.

I imagine this issues is common to most ATI full 1080p setups. Make sure you have all the setting correct (some may not even be available initially).

This is a VERY bright monitor. I keep turning down the brightness, currently @ 50%.

For what I paid for this monitor (two eighty) I got my money's worth. Get all your settings right and I think you'll be pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, vibrant,and beautiful., June 1, 2011
MK (BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
I spent weeks and weeks of research trying to find the absolute best-of-best in gaming computer components. This is the first computer I'm building, so what I lack in experience I made up for in depth and breadth of research before each purchase.
As a gamer, my specifications ran along the lines of excellent refresh rate and contrast ratio. This monitor delivers on both with a 2ms refresh and an absolutely tremendous contrast ratio (although I've failed in all attempts to find exact numbers to describe it, it's identical in quality to a 12,000,000:1 Acer I had to compare it to.) It's far superior to the Acer in brightness and vibrance of the colors due to the fact that it's LED and not LCD. I didn't even realize how dull the colors of my previous LCD were until I fired up this baby. It's like stepping into Oz.
I ordered through Tigerdirect via Amazon, which means all the quality guaranteed by TD without the sales tax.
Regarding the guy who said he couldn't calibrate his monitor... There's an included CD that does everything for you, and an auto-adjust button on the front of the device. The CD contains software that lets you adjust your monitor settings via keyboard/mouse just in case dealing with the monitor buttons is too challenging for a Mac user who's used to devices with no more than a single button. I had absolutely no problems setting up the resolution just as I wanted... More software that's included on the disc.

So, to summarize

Pros:
-Incredible- contrast ratio
Bright, vibrant LED colors that will make you realize how ghetto you've been all your life
Stellar refresh rate
Incredible price for its size
Speaking of which, it's HUGE.
Super-sexy licorice-red border behind a clear one. Looks elegant and subtle.
Intuitive software lets you customize everything to your heart's content

Cons:
Text CAN be a bit fuzzy, but know your product-- you're buying a gaming monitor. I just got my monitor yesterday, so I'll likely have to fiddle with the settings a bit more. I have no doubts that this is easily fixable.

5.0 out of 5 stars good extra monitor, December 10, 2011
I bought this monitor as an extra display to a work laptop that would be used for mainly for academic purposes (text, email, powerpoint presentations). I had pretty simple needs on this; really just something that would be pleasant to look at and have 1080 resolution. The display is very uniform with minimal aberrations in brightness or color. The response rate is great, and I like that this display attains very dark blacks. I was expecting drab blacks from this with the matte coating but was pleasantly surprised; additionally, there is a very bright window behind this and the anti-glare in the screen has been excellent. Being LED, this monitor is extremely light and does not generate much heat. This is an excellent display for work (for work like mine) or even better gaming. The price was excellent and a key factor in my decision to get this.

Regarding drawbacks, the viewing angle is a mild issue. I did not consider viewing angle in my decision, failing to realize that moving around in my chair at my desk with a giant monitor less than 3ft away from my face could be a problem. This is more of an issue with bigger monitors, because if you are close to the screen and really focused on one area another area on the other side isn't viewable. This might not have been a problem had the stand permitted more mobility. In judging the validity of my criticism, the only other 27 in display that I can compare this to is a $1300 27 in NEC monitor with an IPS panel (these monitors are side by side); thus, this may actually have an excellent viewing angle compared to other LED TN displays. Also, there is no DVI port; I'm using a DVI to HDMI cord that does the job, but a standard DVI port would be preferred.

I spent well over 2 months researching displays. Overall, I would still buy this display again for <$300 and fully recommend it. Compared to my Macbook's display, I find the colors a bit more brilliant with a sharper contrast. The viewing angle is also better on this, though that may not be a fair comparison given the size discrepancy and that the Mac is about 3-4 years older. Compared to the NEC, I have to get a newer computer to utilize the full potential, but at 1080 resolution, this monitor comes fairly close with regards to the overall quality of images. It is thinner, runs much cooler, and has a better response rate. Aside from better resolution, the NEC has a vastly superior viewing angle (and ironically stand mobility), essentially perfect uniformity, and better color accuracy, but given the heat generation, size, and staggering cost difference, it should really be left to specific professional applications. If you are getting a gaming monitor, this LED display would be perfect given the response rate, contrast, and low heat generation. Hope this helps some shoppers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, August 6, 2011
I researched monitor options several times, but when my old monitor died, I knew that then I really had to buy a new one and researched again. I wanted the larger screen and one that was LED instead of LCD. I have good speakers so speakers or their quality was not an issue for me. I was impressed with the very fast delivery from Amazon!

It was easy to set up and recognized by my computer... wow! The screen was so bright right out the box that I dimmed the display light by almost 20%. I do photo editing and the colors on the screen are perfect without me needing to adjust anything.

There is no movement to adjust the tilt of the screen, but that has not been an issue for me.

All in all, I'm delighted with my new monitor!

4.0 out of 5 stars Returned for repair but I still like it, September 15, 2012
I purchased one of these through Costco just over a year ago. It died in August 2012 - no video out and most settings menu items were unreachable via those lovely (crappy) touch controls. So why am I giving it four stars? Because I want to acknowledge the excellent customer support I received from Costco and Samsung. One phone call. Free shipping for repair. Back in less than two weeks. The BIOS (firmware) chip was bad. It's back and working as expected. It is a decent enough monitor for the price, IMO.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung SA350 27" Monitor good or bad...not sure yet, December 3, 2011
E. Walter (Los Gatos CA USA) - See all my reviews
OK, I admit it, I am a dinosaur.

As such I need a LARGE monitor. I got 3 of these at Costco. I am a month away from the deadline to return them.

Here are the issues I see that are the upside. It's a 1080P monitor...if it's good enough fo me on my 60" LCD, it's good enough for a 27". It's BIG...that's good. No issues with the resolution.

Now for the downside. I am a MAC PERSON...and use these on a MAC PRO 8 core machine with a decent video card. I see a drastic change in contrast with the vertical viewing angle below horizontal. That coupled with no adjustment for this angle is not a good thing. Too low an angle and the contrast increases.

Sometimes with the MAC, I am serious, sit upright im my chair and all looks OK, but other times I am a lazy bum, lean back, and up goes the contrast and saturation. RIght now I have placed the power supplies unerneath the back of the bases which tilts the monitors slightly forward and the result is a bit hokey, but good. I do not see a variation with a positive angle change reasonably above horizontal.

I can remedy that issue with a visit to OSH to get some 1/4X20 thumbscrews and rubber bumpers, drill and tap 3 holes in the base, and I can adjust the angle in all axes at will. That will fix it.

Maybe I should work for Samsung.

I also have 3 more Samsung 27" LED/LCD 1080P monitors (earlier model) on my DCS A-10 Warthog flight sim, (Runs on a bleeding edge PC \ space heater I built from scratch - "The Dark Side") and they work well, probably becaues the viewing angle does not change since the flight seat is at a constant height. They also have a tilt adjustment. They are taped together with gaffer tape for a panorama effect.

The color adjustment buttons on the SA350 do not seem to do anything I can live with. I think I can fix that too, I have ordered a Spyder Elite from Amazon so I can adjust the color settings appropriately. I am a photographer as well as an engineer.

That's where I am at, no decision yet. The issue is that I do not see spending $3000 for monitors, when $900 will do.

Ed Walter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for this price, November 9, 2011
Mike The Guy (Minneapolis Mn) - See all my reviews
This monitor is fantastic for the price. When I plugged it in I was simply amazed at how vibrant the colors were compared to my "old" 26" Samsung LCD. The LED backlighting really does make a difference in color quality and brightness, and I also love how much thinner it is than a standard LCD.

A couple of things that people have been having issues with. First, if you have "black bars" around the screen and fuzzy text, you need to go into your video card settings and enable overscan to 100%.

Second, this IS an adjustable monitor concerning tilt. All you have to do is put one hand on the base and pull the top towards you if it is tilted back. When I assembled mine it was tilted and a review I read said it wasn't adjustable, so I nearly returned it. My wife is smarter than I am however and figured it out in about 30 seconds.

Back to the monitor, As I said it is amazing. A 27" LED backlit LCD monitor for about 300$ with this picture simply cannot be beat. As others have said, it does not have a DVI port, but HDMI to DVI cables can be had for about $3 from monoprice.com.

My conclusion is that this is a great value for the money with the only negative being a lack of a DVI port. You will not be disappointed with this monitor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, January 20, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised when I received and set up this monitor. I plugged in the power and an HDMI cable to my MacBook Pro, and it required no adjustment other than reducing the brightness a little.

Pros:
* No bad pixels
* Clear, readable text without additional configuration
* Plays HDCP content purchased from the Apple Store
* Easy to navigate menus on the front panel
* Stable, good-looking stand

Cons:
* None

My ideal monitor would have a higher resolution, basically an Apple Cinema Display without the annoying glass, but this is a perfect 1080p monitor.

Samsung S27A350H 27-Inch Class LED Monitor - Black