on December 8, 2012
I've been a Tracfone customer for over 8 years...Tracfone is all my whole family uses. Got this phone for my daughter...who is 10 by the way. She always kept her old phone in her bookbag to make calls on the bus to me here at the house...she got this.. and I'm here to tell you, she had the WiFi set up in like 3 minutes. I just don't see how so many people are complaining about WiFi when my 10 year old had it done in no time. Anyhow, she likes to text me while on the bus, even more so now with this phone with the keyboard...so, it was time for me to get a better phone..so I got me one of these phones as well. Took less than 5 minutes to switch my number and remaining time from my old phone to this one using Tracfones website. I set my WiFi up less than 5 minutes. Like other have stated, the screen is a bit small for doing a lot of Web Browsing..but you can do it. This phone loads and switches pages faster than any Tracfone I've had yet. We usually update our phones yearly.

Like at the beginning of my post said, my daughter keeps her phone in her book bag..that's with books being thrown in there with it, water bottles and so on. She has NEVER had this phone dial 911 like other people are saying. Not saying it's not happening to other, but just hasn't to her.

We live out in the sticks...when I say that, I'm not kidding. 25 miles to the nearest Walmart or any Grocery store. We are out in the country...but this phone has GREAT service! Not a dropped call yet. The phone has great volume.

Haven't downloaded any music/ringtones to it yet..because I'm not for sure where to get free ringtones at?? Tracfone is wanting way too many minutes for a small ringtone file..has anyone found a place to download free ring tones? If so, comment and let me know.

I did find a Jelly Silicone case for this phone. If you'll do an Amazon search for Samsung R390...that's the one. I looked at pics here online and they looked just about the same..so took my chances and ordered it..was less than 3.60 and that included S&H. Got it in yesterday...it fits PERFECT! Only downside is that the Camera is just a bit over on this phone...so the whole in the back of the case for the Camera didn't match up with the camera on this phone. I don't use the camera much, so not a biggie for me..and when I need to, you can pull down the case and take a pic in one second.

So...all in all, this is a great phone for the money. When my phone came in the mail..I ordered it through the TF website...it came with a FREE 15.00 gift card for gas AND and 10.00 gift card for "lunch on us" got to choose between like 30 different restaurants..PLUS, When I activated it, they gave me 25 free minutes...so I ended up getting this phone for about 20 bucks. Even if I hadn't gotten those GC, the phone is still well worth the money.
on October 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is my 3rd Tracphone. I was so surprised by all of the functions that is given on one phone. I've had it for 2 months and still learning about this product. The battery is never ending in it's power. I have gotten out in areas in Wyoming that my friends with T-Mobile and AT&T couldn't get out to call home. All in all well worth it. Looking for a phone with good standing? This is IT!
on December 14, 2013
For the first day I was pleased with this phone. Solid feel, nice keyboard, lots of features.
But the very first evening I took it out of my pocket and it was asking "Call SOS?". Luckily(?) I had no service there, so it didn't complete the call. I looked online and it turned out that lots of people have this problem with the phone. Pressing "911" does it, even if the phone is locked. So does "000" and "112", thus covering their bases. The FCC apparently has a requirement that any idiot be able to pick the phone up off the road at the scene of an accident and make an emergency call even if the phone is locked, but the result for this phone is a disaster. It is not an exaggeration to say that EVERY time I put it in my pocket even briefly, it gets to the "Call SOS Y/N" stage or worse, I hear the 911 operator from my pocket. (Perhaps my pocket is very scary, so the phone calls 911?) In desperation I started carrying it around in a plastic Chinese takeout container, which was safe but not very convenient. Then I accidentally ran over it with a car, and although the container was utterly destroyed, the phone had no apparent damage at all! Very solid!

The 911 pocket dialing is the worst, but with the possible exception of the e-mail, everything else about the software is terrible also. Did the developers not try this thing out for even a day before they put it on the market? Here are a few of the other problems:

1) Doesn't tell you who the text messages are from until you read them. So I have to click on them to see that they are spam. Worse, there doesn't seem to be any way to block text messages from spam numbers. They have slowed a bit now, but for a while I was getting 5 or 10 a day.

2) The browser button is on the front screen, right where you can click it every time you unlock the screen. That way you can click it as you put it away, and it can suck down hundreds of minutes while in your pocket or purse. Some of the stuff on this phone is just stupid, but this "bug" is clearly malicious. My LG 800g did something similar. I can't say I ever tried out the browser, but if it's like the 800g's version it's completely useless - it's only purpose was to drain your minutes while you weren't watching.

3) It occasionally forgets my contacts, and just shows the numbers.

4) It plays music nicely over bluetooth, but then the phone crashes. After some messing around it would restart, but the battery would be totally dead. (When working properly, the battery life is actually very good, up to two weeks.)

5) The calculator wants you to use the mini touch pad to select operations, thus rendering it useless.

6) The mini-touchpad built into the center button is barely usable, and the scrolling software for it is abysmal. Trying to find a particular message in my inbox was impossible if there were more than a couple, so I had to empty it out all the time.

7) Taking a picture requires several menus, button clicks, etc., so by the time you have it ready your subject is gone.

8) Another stupid feature: pressing the center of the space bar gives you a space, period, and capital letter. Pressing one or the other sides gives you the normal space. Even once I figured this out, I still had to backspace dozens of times to clean it up when I hit the button wrong.

9) A smaller annoyance, but the T9 touchpad doesn't show the associated letters (ABC = 1, etc.) They could easily have set it up so pushing the letters while dialing gave the proper numbers, but they didn't. So it's hard to dial a phone number given as letters.

10) Rings when the battery gets low. This should be an adjustable option. I don't want to hear about it when I'm trying to sleep.

11) How to dismiss the voicemail/missed calls/text message notification without checking them is not clear. They keep popping up when I'm trying to do something else.

12) The on-screen labels for the buttons are lined up over the wrong ones. Until you figure it out, it looks like you're supposed to push the outer pair of buttons, but actually the labels refer to the more central pair.

13) Even aside from the emergency dialing problem, the screen locking is inadequate. You can add a security code, but it only requests it on startup and a few other things like some multiple deletes. And of course you don't have to enter the security code for 911, or the screen unlock sequence.

So this is the last TracFone for me, what awful phones. I'm
on October 16, 2013
I've had quite a few Net 10 and Tracfone Devices in my life thus far from Sliders to Flip Phones, and long story short, I couldn't have picked a better one this time. Here's why.

My phone before this was a Nokia Lumia 521 with T-Mobile. Before that I had an iPhone 3GS with AT&T. Before that I had a Samsung T401G with Net 10, and before that about five LG 300G's with Net 10. All of them paying different prices, trying different services and features. I made a sudden leap into the Smartphone world with my iPhone, and upgraded from that to a Windows Phone. I'd never had a QWERTY Keypad phone before. I was satisfied with Net 10's service, but left after they raised the plan I was on by $5 without notifying me. AT&T was awful in the coverage and price department, and T-Mobiles Data and Customer Service was unacceptable. I looked around for a while at Feature Phones, which is what this kind is called, and I decided I'd rather have a nice Feature Phone like an old Blackberry, oppose to a smartphone which I felt was a little more than I needed. All I need is occasional access to Facebook and Twitter and the ability to listen to music with good coverage, without the frills and emptying of my wallet. This phone is perfect.
Allow me to list a few good points and bad points I've experienced so far.

THE GOOD
- WiFi, so I can send emails, browse the web and more, for free at Home or places like McDonalds and Starbucks which offer free WiFi.
- QWERTY Keyboard, with Send and End buttons. It's a bit slower to use than a Touchscreen, but it just feels so much better.
- Great Coverage, using both AT&T and T-Mobile coverage, so that where one lacks, the other picks up.
- 3G Data. A Huge step up from the 2G I was used to on other Tracfones.
- Triple Minutes For Life. I cannot stress how great this is! I buy 60 Minutes at $20, I get 180 that last 3 months, Equaling $6/mo.
- The Build Quality. It feels like a phone that costs more than $20! It doesn't feel fragile, and I'm not too afraid to break it.
- It uses Micro USB for Charging and Syncing, which is great because that's what most of my cables around my house are.
- MP3 Player, for listening to music on the go. I have to have this feature, and it works great and can play music in the background.
- Micro SD Cards up to 32GB are supported, and they go in the side and not under the battery like some phones, so no taking off backs.
- E Mail, which is super great to have. Make sure you set it up to not automatically search for mail though, as it uses your Minutes.
- The Battery hold a charge for a very long time, often lasting me up to almost a week without charging. It rates at 1,000mAh.
- This is minor, but you get 20 Free Minutes and Two Months of Airtime just for activating. I used it for a few days for free..
- Each Minute lets you send Three Texts. If I do the 180 Min. Plan, 180 x 3 = 540 Texts.

THE BAD
- The Screen has awful viewing angles, and it doesn't support all colors, so some colorful wallpapers I set look distorted.
- The Trackpad makes it a little difficult to navigate compared to Navigation Buttons, but you will get used to it.
- The Rear speaker is certainly nothing to write home about, and is mediocre compared to some other Tracfones I've seen.

THE UGLY
- Although the glass screen looks nice, it makes it more likely to break when dropped and catches fingerprints (Which clean easily).
- The Camera is Acceptable. It's Fix Focused, so you cant take up close shots without them being blurry. Takes otherwise good pics.
- Tracfone doesn't give you much for the price. $10 for 30 Minutes and a month of Airtime? Good thing there's Triple Minutes.
- YouTube Video's are extremely low quality, probably because the small amount of colors the screen supports.

CONCLUSION
Of all the Phones I have owned so far, this is my favorite in overall price, quality and function. It says it has app support, but the only apps I've come across on the web that work properly with this phone so far are Facebook, Twhii (A Twitter Client) and YouTube, which is just a direct link to the YouTube site in the browser. I've read a lot of complaint's that people are dialing 911 or Opening the Browser with the phone in their pockets. I have pressed a button here or there, but never unlocked the phone or dialed 911. Then again, being a man, my pockets are much larger than women's jeans, so I'm not sure if any men out there are having this problem. I haven't yet. Personally for me, the buttons are all very clicky and provide nice feedback, so even if I did press a button in my pocket, it would be under some serious pressure and I would know. I don't think Tracfone offers many minutes for what you pay, probably because it is made for people that don't use a phone much. If this phone didn't have Triple Minutes I probably would not have bought it, even with all the fancy features.
If you use your phone often and do a lot of texting and calling, definitely buy the Net 10 version of this phone. It will cost you $60 and can't be bought on Amazon. They give you more minutes for your money. However with the small amount I use and the Triple Minutes, my plan on Tracfone costs me only $6 a month.
If you are considering getting this phone, definitely get it, buy it new for $20 on here and get a $5 2GB Micro SD card to get Free Super Saver Shipping. I think you will be satisfied. I know I am.

Here's a link to the SD card you'll need to get super saver shipping:
B000HCGAFK

I Also had to order this thing for 21 Cents to get it over $24.99 (I have no idea what it is, I just threw it in a drawer:
B009K50I3K

That's all folks,
~Ritchie
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on September 8, 2013
This phone fails in so many ways. It's menus are difficult to navigate, it connects by itself every couple of hours and steals your minutes, it puts a period after every word in a text message, etc, but they all pale in comparison to the fact that IT CALLS 911 ALL BY ITSELF EVEN WITH THE KEYPAD LOCKED. Some reviewers have said this is a simple case of "butt dialing". Not so. One of the "features" of this phone is that it calls 911 if squeezed and the mechanism is very sensitive. I carry it in my front pocket and in one month it's called 911 six times. Since it is a feature and not a malfunction Samsung will not allow me to return it. I can't in good conscience continue to use this phone, so I'm throwing it away.

911 operators are there for life and death emergencies, not to answer false alarms from psychotic cell phones. It is your civic duty not to buy this phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2012
First and foremost, this is a Tracfone phone, and I would highly recommend that you use a carrier other than Tracfone. It was a pain to get my service switched from my old phone to this one, and their tech support isn't good at all. If you're thinking of buying this phone, you should check if other prepaid carriers use the same model (and remember than Net10 and StraightTalk are both owned by Tracfone).

For the most part, this is a great phone. The first thing I noticed about it was its size and weight- this is by far the thinnest and lightest phone I've ever held. It's a good bit lighter than smaller Tracfone models, and it's about a quarter of the weight of an Evo Shift 4G. It's also very thin; it's barely 3/8" thick.

The wifi antenna works very well (it seems to have an easier time finding hotspots than the aforementioned Evo Shift). The screen is fairly low-res (for the cost and size, it's worth it), but it's still easy to read. The menus are straight-forward; you'd be able to figure out most of its functions without a manual (which is good, because they don't send you one).

That being said, there are a number of small issue that can be a real problem. Added together, they're bad enough that I knocked two stars off what would have been a five-star review:

1) When the phone locks, it's unlocked by pushing one soft key, then the other. It turns out that it's very easy for those buttons to get pressed in the correct order in a pocket. Twice in the first day I'd owned it, I pulled it out of my pocket to find the browser open. (And yes, I locked it before putting it in my pocket.) There's a phone password option, but it only prompts for the password when the phone turns on, not when it unlocks. Buying a belt holster is *mandatory* with this phone.

2) The USB port (which is used for charging) is clunky. When you insert a cord, it feels like it's in before it's fully inserted- it hangs up on the inside of the port, feeling like it's bottomed out. This is especially true with the included charger- if the cord moves around and the screen doesn't light when you plug it in, it's not in all the way, and it's not charging.

3) The space bar types two spaces when you press it. It appears to have two buttons under the keyboard piece, and each one registers separately. The problem is, the space bar is about the width of a thumb, so pushing just one side is a real pain. It becomes especially annoying because the autocorrect turns double spaces into new sentences (changing it to a period and a space, and capitalizing the next letter), so you end up using the backspace key a lot in text messages.

4) This is the worst one. There's a glitch in the phone's internal operating system: If you set the dialing display font to anything larger than "small", it starts wrapping numbers to a second line if you manually dial a long enough number. However, once it skips down a line, it moves the text insertion point back a space, so that the numbers you're typing are inserted in the middle. I found this out when I went to test the phone on my home phone, and dialed a wrong number; by watching the screen, I saw what it was doing. It doesn't do this on the small font (though a typical phone number won't wrap down a line in this font, anyway), and it doesn't do this if you start with a one (must be the auto-hyphenation). If you live in an area with an area code overlay, thus meaning you always dial ten digits, you're stuck with small font for dialing; it can be difficult to read unless you hold the phone fairly close to your face.
on September 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
This phone is quite nice and easy to use. Connected to wifi with out any problems and for the first tracfone with wifi it is considerably fast. The wifi connection doesn't seem to go in and out like other prepaid phones I have seen. All in all this is a very good phone for the price.
on April 12, 2014
I've seen others in these comments suggest that those who are experiencing the unintended emergency calls must be committing "user error" since "it's never happened to them on their S390g's." This is faulty logic since (a) there are a great many competent-sounding people complaining of this problem, and (b) it stands to reason that phones with different manufacturing dates might not exhibit the same defects, which would explain why it doesn't happen to everyone. In any event, I can say with FULL CONFIDENCE that my S390G easily pocket dials 911 with no user error whatsoever. If I lock my keypad, dial "000," "112," or "110," a message will appear saying "Dial SOS?" The left soft key selects "Yes" and the right soft key selects "No".

I repeat: THIS OCCURS EVEN WHEN THE KEYPAD IS LOCKED, and I am competent enough to know.

I have resorted to carrying the phone in a bulky case with some extra stiff material protecting the keys. It's too bad, really, because I really like this phone otherwise. Calls have always been clear and reliable. I find the mp3 player very usable, and it works great with my bluetooth headphones (there's even equalizer settings to adjust sound preferences.) Opera Mini can easily be installed to enhance the browsing experience over wifi. I love the qwerty keyboard for texting.

In conclusion, maybe you buy this and are one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to deal with the 911 issue. I wasn't so lucky.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
TracPhone is the way to go. I rarely, if ever, need a cell phone. I have never owned one nor know how to operate the darn things. Since deciding it made good sense to have one in the car for emergencies (don't forget to buy a car charger separately), I did a lot of investigation as to the absolutely cheapest, most reliable way to accomplish that. TracPhone!...hands down. I researched Target, K-Mart, Rite Aide and Radio Shack. All were the same price but none had a model with the features I wanted. The difference was that only at Radio Shack could I find anyone who knew what the heck they were talking about. My criteria for a phone included a camera (still and video), web access, full QUERTY keyboard, easy to use/program, voice commands, well built, all the other bells & whistles (WI-FI & Bluetooth, MP3, voice activated and easy APPS) and reasonably priced. All, and more, were included with the Samsung S390G....plus it came with Lifetime Triple Minutes. None of the mentioned stores had the model that would do all that. The Samsung was listed at $50 everywhere online except on Amazon. I got it for $32. Then one must buy both 'minutes' and 'air time'....two different things. The TracPhone web site had a special on both. Combine the special and my 'triple minutes', I now have a years worth of air time and over 1400 minutes...all for less than $80. The same type deal in a store was over $100. Don't forget to purchase a large memory card. I started with only 4G until I see if I need a larger one. I have now programmed the phone with all my needed phone numbers, added my e-mail accounts, recorded my personal greeting and downloaded my favorite ring tone...the theme from Law & Order... My overall opinion is one can't go wrong with this deal if it meets your economic needs.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2013
I keeps dialing 911. The operator has me on speed dial now. LOL
That is the only real reason I hate it. Everything else works great. It
even dials 911 in my belt case. Every pocket I own has dialed 911.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations