5.0 out of 5 stars Decent smartphone
Published 16 months ago by Dmitry

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof phone not actually waterproof
Published 8 months ago by Ian Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent smartphone, July 28, 2013
This review is from: Samsung S7710 Galaxy Xcover 2 Titanium Grey (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I really enjoy the smartphone. The only thing I don't like about it is a tiny internal storage. You get only 1 GB for your applications and data. Of course you can extend that by inserting a sd-card. But unfortunately you cannot install your app on it, unless you root your device. The battery life is even better then I expected. Normally I charge it not often then every other day. Overall it's pretty good rigid smartphone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, November 21, 2013
bought it for my son, who is 12, thinking that a sturdy phone would be better. Only disadvantage is its small memory, but it has a great screen, good speaker. Haven't tested the waterproof claim, I'd rather not. One month going and 100% happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof phone not actually waterproof, March 26, 2014
This phone is decent, but that's about the extent of it. When I purchased it, it had a mediocre processor and screen, and was missing a couple of features that are pretty standard (notification LED and automatic brightness sensor are the ones that leap to mind). But the big draw was that it was waterproof and could handle being fumbled without completely destroying itself.

I've dropped it once or twice, and had no problems. Based on experience with another Samsung rugged phone (the B-2100), I assumed that when Samsung said it was waterproof, they weren't kidding. The 2100 is amazingly rugged and truly waterproof. However, a minor dousing of this phone has, at least temporarily, damaged its ability to sense touch on the touch screen. It'll probably dry out and be just fine, but that's not really the point -- it should not be disabled by minor exposure to water in the first place. Obviously a smartphone that can't sense touches on the screen is completely useless, so now I have a brick until it dries out.

Fortunately, the 2100 and this phone share the same size SIM card, so I can swap the card over and be back in business with calls and texting. But it's pretty ridiculous to make a big deal out of a phone's waterproof rating, and scale back the CPU, memory and features to meet a price, then fail on the waterproofness.

As a phone, when it's working properly, the Xcover 2 works well enough. The screen has fewer pixels than the S3 I came from, but I was able to work around that. I like that it's physically smaller. The CPU is adequate. I miss having a notification LED. The front-facing camera is pretty terrible, but I didn't get it for the camera. The speaker is quite powerful, and while it still sounds like a phone, it can pump out a good bit of volume. The 1 GB of available storage space is pretty limiting, and is probably the greatest weakness of the phone if you intend to load a lot of apps on it. The battery life is surprisingly good.

Discounting the lack of waterproofness, I'm reasonably happy with this phone. With the waterproof fail, I'm kind of disappointed. Now I have a relatively weak phone that can't even boast the one thing that made it worth the compromises.

2.0 out of 5 stars take it to the water, February 18, 2014
Very good but not enough memory for downloading apps video pictures and games. Can really go under water love it

4.0 out of 5 stars You can not move apps to sd, February 8, 2014
You can not move apps to sd card, if you have many apps in your phone you will have problems, everythig else is great phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, January 7, 2014
I'm still not sure about it's capabilities as a water resistant phone, the tab where the usb connector is looks fragile. But is very cool and fast

1.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof at all, August 20, 2014
I've bought this phone 3 months ago because of the IP67 water and dust resistance. Last weekend I went kayaking and a wave crashed on me and also over my backpack. My phone supposed to be a waterproof (inside my backpack) got wet and totally crashed. The warranty told me that they don't support water accidents. Nice... I've lost 240 usd in the first water test. This cell is a crap, definitely a theft.

Regarding to the internal memory, this is also bad. It has 1gb storage, so after updating the built-in app the cell phone gets almost full without leaving space for extra applications.

Samsung hasn't released a Android newer than 4.1.2 for this phone and the newest Android version is 4.4.3, so many features are completely deprecated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with some problems, August 20, 2014
Good phone, never had any major problem with him. Very fast for his category. It is not as "water proof" as it says because the plug for the usb doesn't closse well.

The only thing that is really bad is the internal storage. And you can't increase with a microsd card because this version of android doesn't allow you to install apps on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof at all, July 6, 2014
at first I waS totally in love with my phone,while the days go I noticed that the memory is too small, I couldnt download all my favorite apps, so today I went to the pool, and took some pics underwater, everything was going well, but a few minutes later I decided to open the phone and it was wet inside. But it is still working

5.0 out of 5 stars basic specs, low price, delivers what it promises, February 20, 2014
It's not the fastest phone out there, but it's not annoyingly slow. The internal storage is limited, but there's a uSD slot. The screen is bright and clear even if it's not the super high res other phones have these days. And it's not that expensive.

No phone is impossible to break, or drop someplace it wouldn't be safe to retrieve. That's what makes the low price an important durability feature, I can take this places I wouldn't take an iPhone in an otterbox case.