5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Quick and painless setup on Mac.
Print and scan over wifi in minutes after unboxing.
I use the printer daily to scan docs wirelessly to my networked drive.
The unit has a very compact footprint and super easy to use. Zero complaint from me!
Published 14 months ago by PH

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps showing up as "offline"
Published 12 months ago by The Masked Marketer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 22, 2013
PH (Yorba Linda, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung SCX-3405W Black & White Multifunction Laser Printer (Accessory)
Quick and painless setup on Mac.
Print and scan over wifi in minutes after unboxing.
I use the printer daily to scan docs wirelessly to my networked drive.
I have had many printers before this one: HP Laserjet 5P from way back in the 90's, HP 2175 AIO, HP Photo printer, Brother AIO, Brother Laser, Lexmark inkjet, Canon inkjet, Epson inkjet.
This one is by far the best.
You can also find cheap toner/chip refills on Amazon. Not as cheap as 3rd-party Brother toners, but close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung, July 30, 2013
I'm one of the few people who never needs to print in color. I'm also one of those people who despises running out of ink, refilling old cartridges, or buying new ink. I want a printer that prints fast with little maintenance and reliability. Samsung and this printer do just that. I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!!! I can always rely on Samsung!!, September 5, 2013
JR (Round Rock, TX) - See all my reviews
Not sure what all the problems are with some having issues with the printer, works like a charm out of the gate. At first it will not find your connection on its own when trying to install wireless, but once you use the USB cable, it is a breeze and found my connection easily and had me ready to go in minutes.

They really could not have made it any easier. As long as your wireless signal is hooked up right, you should have no issues. It is nice to not have a usb cable attached, but good to know if I need it, i can plug it in.

I also found it as a much better price then on here, I will not name the store, but do look, you can find it for about 50.00 cheaper. So do not jump at the price on here.

Also, this does not print slow, its moderate printing at about 21 pages per minute. There are printers out there that can do 27 to 29, and Samsung makes those too, but you have to be willing to buy at a higher price point. This is intended for moderate to average printing and mostly casual home and office use, so you cannot expect this to be some super work horse.

The scan feature is a nice thing to have on this, and works flawlessly out of the box. This could have come in handy when I was going back and forth with the loan company as I was closing on a home, as they asked me to scan tons of documents to fax back to them. I found creative ways around it, but in a pinch it is a nice feature. You can get it to fax with you as well, but as usual, setting this up in windows is tricky, but if you can figure it out, it is just one more plus.

Really, from the perspective of an everyday user, this printer does the job, period. If I have a complaint, I will picky and say the aesthetic look of the printer is dated and plain. i assume they did this to keep the price point low,but since Samsung prides itself on the overall attractiveness of their items, they did not put much into this one. It would have been nice if they would have made it in different colors, even a black, but for this they settled for plain old dot matrix eighties style beige. It screams dull.

With that aside, I am pleased with its performance!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic b/w laser multifunction machine for my Home Office, August 20, 2013
I used to be quite the snob when it came to printers... Canon's & Brother's were my models of choice. However I kept seeing a Samsung multi-function model in various stores. I eventually went out and looked them over and finally
I bought a Samsung SCX-3405W for about $100 with money I received from Christmas last year 2012. I set up the printer via USB2.0 cable to my Dual Band Router ( which has a USB2.0 port ) so the printer could be used anywhere within my Home LAN. I tell you, that I am still using the starter Toner cartridge it came with. It has not run out yet!! it is quite a durable machine. My wife and I use it nearly everyday.. the Copy function is a godsend as well. I used to have a very costly legal sized flatbed scanner with film scanning which died years ago and felt lost without a good scanner. I love how the scanner scans great b/w, grayscale, and color docs straight into my computer over our LAN.
the added bonus is the Wireless support. both my wife and I have android based smartphones, tablets, and Windows & Mac laptops. We can sit anywhere within the house, and send items to the printer to print.
There are a few issues I have however... there are some features I wish it had - multiple paper size support. But for the price, only printing on basic 8.5" x 11" paper is reasonable. It would be nice it could have a separate paper tray for more than just a hundred pages of paper. I never did buy any extended warranty and the printer has never acted up strangely as of yet. Would be nice if it had an ADF, but that is something that would be something for a higher end model. For what this printer does for us and for how reliable it has been with quality, I have no issue recommending another Samsung printer again.

addendum: May 2014 - I have been using this printer now for over 1 full year, and it has been printing without fail from the original starter Toner the machine came with. I am impressed. the Starter Cartridge is rated for 700 pages. I've printed WELL past that many pages. I truly think it is because of the "Eco" settings for the amount of ink used. I have had the printer essentially in sleep mode 98% of the time and only turned it off a few times. I would change my rating to 6 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 cents..., March 27, 2014
I just bought this printer locally, even though I am an avid Amazon purchaser. Now, I am not very computer or technically savvy, but I installed this myself in 5 minutes! It was the most simple and thorough instructions I have seen in a long time.

I print only in black and white, since I take my color printing jobs to the local printer. My previous HP sucked the life out of ink and the color quality is never as good as the printer anyways, so buying this laser was a welcome change. Also, I have NEVER had any difficulties with having to reinstall anything or machine failing in any way. So far, so good and I use this printer more than I ever used my HP!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the options (never knew I could edit, like another reviewer said...see, not so savvy), especially the Eco option, and will make it a point to learn the rest of them.

Let's all face it... NO PRINTER, or much of anything else, is made to last as long as they used to. Yes, they have more features to use today (that's the plus), but they will need to be replaced a lot sooner (that's the negative). Hope this review helps. By the way... I read reviews left and right, so I could pick a good printer and my head started spinning when they all had the same good and bad reviews! I decided that there is probably many companies putting false reviews on other companies posts to boost their own models, so I just trusted to be led to the right printer. The Samsung SCX-3405W is the one I was led to and I am very pleased so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps showing up as "offline", October 2, 2013
This worked about 5 times before the trouble started. It keeps showing up as "offline" despite the fact that it is fully plugged in, connected to my computer, and should be working. I've wasted at least an hour trying to figure this out and I have had lots of printers over the years, never come across something like this. The support from Samsung is terrible. There was a video online to help with the troubleshooting, but for some reason it said "access denied" to the support video!?!? WTF.

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless WIFI, January 4, 2014
Have fought with this printer for 8 months. It constantly goes off-line for no reason. Most of the time I have to re-install the software driver and now that does not even work. Will throw it away and research online\Consumer Reports. Too bad I didn't read these reviews here as they sound very similar!

1.0 out of 5 stars Intermittent and unpredictable, November 26, 2013
Terrible printer because if goes offline all the time for no reason. Then it mysteriously works a little bit, but for no rhyme or reason, it goes offline again. Disappointed and all sorts of typical troubleshooting (like turning the printer off/on) don't seem to help. Ready to toss it out the window.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product has great features... that don't work., July 5, 2013
I bought this specifically because of the wireless feature. The area I wanted to place it was not near a computer or in a spot that I wanted to run an ethernet cable to.

If you are planning to purchase this due to the wireless feature, DON'T. I was unable to get this device to connect to my WPA2 Personal secured wireless network. After researching the subject I found that this seems to be a common problem with Samsung printers for at least the last three years and they still haven't fixed it.

If all you need is a laser printer/scanner/copier there are others available for less money without the wireless feature that would be a better option because you'd at least have the ethernet cable jack to hard wire the printer to your network. The only port on this device is a USB port.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand why everyone is having problems!, May 28, 2014
I picked up my printer for 100 dollars, and I think its engineered really well, and I've NEVER had a problem with it. This thing is waaaaaaaay better than the nearest HP or DELL printer.
The only time it ever jams is when you set things on the paper tray and they get sucked in, like sticks of gum and pencils that you set down and forget. Had that happen three times now, I think everyone needs to watch what they set around the printer. But it always sucks the paper in the first time with zero jams.

But overall the printer work flawless, always ready. Works great on my linksys network and prints within 10 seconds from standby on my wireless. Prints look great, software always works for me, even if its from the CD or from downloading the drivers on samsungs website.