4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Little Camera...that LOVES Batteries
Published on May 3, 2009 by Been There

2.0 out of 5 stars Takes good Quality Pictures, terrible parts.
I brought this camera a few months ago since my other one was a bit outdated. The price was right and It was modern looking so it seemed like the right choice for me.

Pros
Has good modes (esp beauty mode)
Takes sharp crisp pictures
Has a Large bright LCD screen
Has a Guidance menu that tells you what all the functions do...
Published on July 16, 2009 by A. Gilchrist

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Little Camera...that LOVES Batteries, May 3, 2009
If you can get past the battery usage factor, you will love this camera! I bought it after reading good reviews elsewhere (it had just been released and there were no amazon.com reviews at that time). I wanted something reasonable (but better than a kiddie camera) for my soon-to-be 6 year old niece. She took the camera everywhere during a trip to Washington, DC and was able to operate it with ease (although she never quite got the concept of the zoom...but that didn't matter to her).

What is good about this camera is you can set the program to eliminate "shake" or motion from the picture. If you accidentally moved the camera while taking a photo, it corrects the picture before saving it. This is simply amazing. Using this function resulted in superb pictures every time. When I decided that this function was consuming too much of the battery life, I turned it off, but after a couple of photos it was clear that it improves the photo even when you think you have a pretty steady hand...so I turned it back on.

The box included a set of AA batteries but no rechargeable batteries or battery charger. Those are optional items, as is a cover. I bought a 4 GB media card for $11 and that is the way to go with this camera. You'll run out of battery life long before you run out of photo capacity! After doing some research, I opted for the alkaline batteries recommended by the owner's manual. I believe that results in superior photos over the rechargeable batteries and was extremely happy with the performance. For the $93 that I paid, this easily performs on par with my other $300 small digital, although it does consume the batteries like there is no tomorrow! So make sure you take plenty with you (buy them on sale!) and you'll have a great time with this camera.

I really wanted to give this product 5 stars for value & performance, but opted for 4 stars solely because of the battery usage factor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Takes good Quality Pictures, terrible parts., July 16, 2009
This review is from: Samsung SL30 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and 2.5 inch LCD (Pink) (Electronics)

Pros
Has good modes (esp beauty mode)
Takes sharp crisp pictures
Has a Large bright LCD screen
Has a Guidance menu that tells you what all the functions do.

Cons
No look thru View finder.
Eats Batteries regardless of being lithium batteries ( like they recommend)
Tough to access different camera modes many menus have to be accessed.
No Mode Wheel ( easy for turning to modes)
The lens the motor is weak it frequently gets stuck and mine ultimately broke.

The reason why I did give this product some stars , is because it takes beautiful pictures. I am sad that the mechanical aspects have to bog this camera down.I ended up taking mine apart because the motor on the lens did not work anymore.

Not saying this happens for many people.. I have many samsung items and I am happy with them all except this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, July 3, 2009
This camera is awesome value for the money. It's a bit bigger than some others on the market, but that's because it uses regular AA batteries (2) rather than having to charge via AC or USB plug like some other cameras. I like that feature b/c I can use rechargeable AA batteries and not worry about being able to charge the camera itself all the time....Also b/c it is a bit bigger, it's easier to use/handle. At least that's what my friends with really tiny cameras think!
The flash was my concern and how will indoor pictures look like, but they look great. Zoom is pretty good as well and the camera comes with USB cord, so download is easy as well....overall, an excellent camera I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes nice pics and movies; a certified battery punisher, September 7, 2009
The manual that comes with the sl30 recommends Alkaline batteries or rechargeable Ni-MH batteries. I have found that, no matter which type you use, this camera goes through batteries much more quickly than my previous point and shoot, the Canon Powershot A95. I believe the problem is in the design. The Powershot used 4 AA cells and had a smaller display, and the Samsung sl30, with a larger display, uses only two AA cells. This design choice kept the camera compact and light. But I think Samsung was somewhat disingenuous in making the calculated decision to get the consumer in the door with the sexiness of this little camera, and then leave them holding the bag when it comes to the most routine aspect of ownership/upkeep.

Whereas I was able to take the Canon along for a nine hour day at Disneyland this summer and never give a second thought about battery life, the Samsung sl30 has depleted one of it's three bars indicating battery power left just in casual (not constant) shooting around the house and yard for less than an hour total. 30 more shots and a couple of short movies later, and time to reload. (A friend says that sudden battery depletion is a characteristic of rechargeables: two or three bars indicating battery health one minute, then kaput the next. I can't swear that this is always or even often true, but since I have had this camera, I have seen things which make me believe it. I have seen it go from three bars -- full battery indicator -- to the dread battery replacement message in the space of less than five minutes, on the next power-up.)

So the consumer has two choices with this camera, as I see it, if they buy it and decide to keep it. You can make a major investment in Alkaline batteries at Megamart, always carrying a couple of sixteen packs of them with you on vacation, and just try to forget that this thing uses batteries like a toy cassette recorder from 1970. Or you can buy a brace of rechargeables and always have a couple of rechargers plugged in back at the hotel with all slots filled.

Important note: The Duracell Ni-MH battery recharger I bought just for the batteries specified for this camera (which are rated at 1700 mAh, by the way) lists a recovery time of a whopping five hours. Yes, I said "five hours". With the Samsung sl30, spontanaeity -- that selling point so beloved by advertisers, that quality so coveted by consumers of cameras of this class -- certainly takes a back seat to old school camera nerd/hobbyist planning ahead and lugging extra supplies around.

To explain my rating, I give the camera almost 5 stars for the quality of pics it takes, and ease of use. (The flash on the sl30 is more forgiving than the super-hot flash on the Canon Powershot A95; this was my one complaint with the Canon the whole time I had it.) I allow it a somewhat generous 3 stars because of the battery problem. Net out around 4.

Not a terrible camera. But I think it's important that you know what you're getting into when you buy this camera. If getting on the battery-buying or battery-stress track is a deal breaker for you, you might want to look at a different camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, November 21, 2009
I bought this camera for our trip to Bermuda so I would not have to carry my bigger SLR camera. After reading previous reviews, I was somewhat concerned about battery life even though I prefer the easy to replace AA batteries in this model. After using the camera inside and outside to become familiar with its functions, I found it to be simple to understand and easy to change settings. The pictures were bright and clear. The batteries lasted through my trial run easily. I replaced the batteries with fresh top of the line Mallory batteries before our trip and we were off on vacation. Over a period of several days, I snapped over 200 pictures inside with flash as well as outside under a variety of conditions, on the bright and sunny beaches in the "beach" mode; beautiful sunsets in the "sunset" mode; close up shots of the many flowers and even inside in the "back light" mode. Under most outside conditions, I had no problem composing a picture on the camera screen. In the bright sun, however, it is a little difficult to make out the screen. It was not usually a problem. I was careful not to keep reviewing my pictures as I do believe that this causes the biggest drain on battery life. I returned home and easily loaded the pictures into my computer Photoshop program. I am very pleased with the quality and exposure of the pictures and am still using the same batteries. I did not use the CD that came with the camera but simply plugged in the enclosed USB cord to download directly to my Photoshop. My computer has Vista and there is no problem with compatibility. The convenience of having a pocket size camera that is ready to use at any moment is something I am very pleased about. I do believe that taking a little time to get used to the camera will provide anyone with a lot of joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, August 17, 2009
I got this camera for my kids (ages 6 and 8). We used it at Yellowstone. The color was good (better at times than my Canon Elph). There are lots of functions-more than I would ever use, but the kids enjoyed them! Battery life was good (we used camera batteries). Bottom line, this is a fun, easy to use camera that takes really good pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, a little touchy with dark and bright spots, January 9, 2010
First, I don't want anyone to be disappointed. This is not a substitute for a Canon costing twice as much. It's noisier in dark areas, and more likely to get washed-out areas when extremely bright spots in in the frame. If you want to minimize imperfections, you will have to pay more.

However, all cameras have those issues to some degree, and the good news is that this camera is better than any other I have seen in this price range. If you want a camera for eighty bucks, this is the first autofocus/zoom camera for that price I have seen which works well.

Here's the good news:

1. It focuses and takes the picture quickly. Focusing and capturing the image takes about half a second in most cases. If you pre-focus by pressing the button halfway, the final click is nearly instant. Slow focusing is one of the most annoying things you can experience when using a camera for the first time, and it is no problem at all with this one. Some of Nikon's [more expensive] compact models take twice as long, but this Samsung is on par with most other decent cameras.

2. The zoom works fast enough as well. Not as fast as some really expensive cameras, but some cameras this cheap have a horribly slow zoom. No real problem here.

3. The flash operates fairly fast. Like a lot of cheap cameras, this one always does a double-flash. But it does so fast enough that your subjects won't be confused by it, which is a problem with many cheap cameras. The first flash comes, and everyone's faces drop because they think it is over. This camera does the double-flash so fast you will hardly notice.

4. It powers on and off pretty fast, only requiring about 1 second for either operation. Nothing sucks more than wanting to take a picture, but missing it because your slow camera thinks you want to stare at the manufacturer's logo for 5 seconds. Note that powering down can be delayed if the camera is still displaying the brief preview of the image you just took, and the first shot may take up to 4 seconds upon power-up if you are indoors and have the flash turned on. This is another area where many cheap cameras are bad, but this one is great.

5. It has some advanced settings for such a low-priced basic camera. There is a "program" mode, which allows some very basic settings (not aperture or shutter speed though). One handy setting (applying to all modes) is the choice of how long the picture "Quick View", which is when the camera briefly displays the image captured after you take it, is displayed (some cameras call it a "preview" even though it is really a post-view). Options are 3 seconds, 1 second, 0.5 second, or off. This may seem like a minor setting, but it can be a very annoying difference if you are switching from an old camera to a new one and this feature is different.

6. In the final pictures, color is fairly accurate. Not perfect, but nothing weird. This is normally only a problem with really cheap models, but this cheap camera seems fine.

Some issues:

1. The display is not so good. It's a little darker than the Samsung L100, and it has a grainy and noisy appearance.

2. The program mode must be selected by entering the menu. It would be much handier to have a standard external dial or switch, as many other cameras do.

3. When the flash is recharging, you can't change settings... including turning the flash off. A lot of cheap cameras do this, and I have no idea why, but it's annoying.

Important:
Don't use alkaline batteries, it will just make you angry. Cameras use a lot of power, if only in short bursts, and alkaline batteries overheat and waste energy when drained quickly. It is convenient that, if this camera's batteries die, you can just grab some standard AA alkalines anywhere in a pinch. But they die really fast. The included alkalines died before I filled a 256 MB card (though I did delete many images after taking them). I replaced them with some Lithium AAs which I always have on hand (for my other AA-enabled cameras), and I have already filled the same card once without the battery meter going down. This camera is not less-efficient than other good cameras, it just isn't effective to use alkaline batteries in cameras regularly. This one also uses only 2 batteries to make it small, while many better (and larger) cameras which are designed for AAs will take 4 at once.

Some older cameras, with no focus or zoom motor, lasted longer on alkaline batteries, but they sucked.

Suggested alternatives, if you want to go a step up for more money:

1. Canon a1100. I only played with it briefly, but like most Canons it handles brightness extremes a little better and the pictures are a little sharper. It also offers an external mode dial which is really handy if you are going to use most of a camera's features.

2. Samsung SL201. More modes, smaller size, and a rechargeable battery. Similar to the older L100 and L200.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!, January 12, 2010
I bought this camera for my four year old as a Christmas present. I wanted something that worked well, with a great price. If it happened to break I wasn't out all that much cash. I tell you, this camera takes better pictures than my $300 Canon and all other digital cameras I've had. It takes pictures quickly and reloads the next shot. Colors are warm and images are beautifully focused, even in the hands of a four year old. Regular AA batteries have held up really well until we purchase some rechargeables. Highly recommended. I might even buy another one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars luvmyludwig, July 19, 2009
I recently bought this camera and I'm amazed at the quality of pictures it takes. They are simply amazing. The camera is easy to use and transfer to the computer is a cinch. I love the different scenes and modes the camera has and the price was lower than some other cameras that didn't offer the scenes. I would recommend this camera for anyone. The camera does use a lot of batteries if you use the review feature a lot, but it isn't a problem for me because the picture quality is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!! Samsung SL30 10MP with/ image stabilization, February 10, 2010
What a suprisingly great camera!! You really don't expect to get such a quality camera for $69.00 dollars. The camera is light weight but sturdy, the view finder is large enough and works great indoors and outdoors. The real coo for me was the AA batteries, this makes the device very portable and allows you to take as many pictures as you have batteries, unlike a lot of the newer camera's where it cost $20-$30 dollars to buy a back up battery. With this camera you can buy what you need or use re-chargeable batteries. The anti-shake/image stabilization is a great feature in a lower cost camera, most less expensive camera's don't offer this very valuable feature. The software that comes with the camera is very user friendly and easy to navigate. I can't imagine needing any higher quality photo's than what are produced by this great little Samsung...