on March 31, 2012
Samsung microwave has a design flaw called keypad 5e or se failure

I bought this microwave. It failed after few months. Before you buy samsung microwave you should go online and search for "samsung 5e or se error. This error caused by steam and heat developed in the kitchen. Samsung knew about this but keep selling its microwave. Most microwave will fail after warranty expired
4646 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 21, 2013
I almost didn't buy this microwave because of all the negative Amazon reviews, but after a little more research on the net I noticed that at other outlets the ratings were very different. Disregarding the reviews on Samsung's website (I always wonder about the integrity of reviews on manufacturer sites), I discovered the following:

- Sears showed 3.5 stars with 57 reviews
- HHGregg showed 4.5 stars with 95 reviews
- Testfreaks.com gives it 8.8 out of 10 with 247 reviews (that includes many bad reviews from Amazon)
- Home Depot has 4 stars with 21 reviews
- Best Buy gives it 4 stars with 105 reviews
- Lowes gives it 3 stars with 42 reviews

After considering the reviews from all of the other sellers, I decided to go ahead and buy this microwave in November 2012. Since it does have such a large number of negatives, I opted to buy it from my local Sears (easier to get repaired or replaced that way) along with a five year extended warranty.

Since installing this microwave, we have no problems whatsoever with it. It has way more features than anyone in my family will ever use and it looks great next to my stainless fridge.

Features that particularly stand out for us are as follows:

- Tri-level dimming range light is great for lighting up the stovetop when cooking or acting as a nightlight
- Triple Distribution System seems to work quite well and really does help heat food more evenly compared to other microwaves we've had
- Range exhaust with charcoal filter has five speeds and moves and filters a ton of air when needed
- It cooks / heats quickly and efficiently

The only thing I don't like about this unit is that the "Start" button is located in a different location than any other microwave I've ever owned, so it always takes me a second or two to find it. I know that might make me sound like a moron, but in my experience, the "Start" button is always on the very bottom right of the keypad and usually colored green to make it easily identifiable. I don't use this microwave a lot because I work away from home three to five weeks at a time, so when I come home and go to nuke some Ramen noodles or leftovers, my finger just instinctively goes to the bottom right of the keypad to press a start button that is buried in the middle right of the interface instead.

The other thing that is a little odd about this microwave is that the Samsung website says it's a 1,000 watt oven but consumes 1,500 watts. Advertising and product info on most websites call it an 1,100 watt microwave, and my unit has a plate inside the door that says it's a "1,600 watt". My guess is that I have a later model that is 1,100 (as advertised here on Amazon) and that the earlier models were only 1,000 watts of cooking power and 1,500 watt power consumption.

In summary, I am so far very pleased with my purchase. All the negative Amazon reviews keep me holding my breath waiting for the thing to fail, but so far it's been great. I'm glad I bought this microwave and I would do so again, but having the five year extended warranty offers me a little extra piece of mind.

******************** UPDATE ********************

After a year and three months of ownership, this microwave is still alive and kicking without a single problem. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that it will continue to do so for years to come. With all the negative reviews, I'm still glad I bought the Sears 5 year, in-home extended warranty though. Thanks to shopper John Henry for reminding me I should update my review to reflect my fifteen months of experience with this appliance.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2012
If you are thinking about buying this microwave, please save yourself the total cost and do not consider any Samsung microwave. Like most reviewers here, I purchased this microwave in 2010 when it was new. It's not a coincidence that the majority of reviewers here are finding that somewhere between 18 and 24 months into ownership that this sad excuse for a microwave gets an SE error, which is Samsung speak for "short error." Basically the keypad is shorting out due to steam and heat in the kitchen. Not steam from running a full-scale, restaurant style 24 hour menu that feeds 100 people a day, but your normal boiling water for pasta or cooking an egg or two with some grits on the weekend. That's about as much as this microwave is built to hold up to. If you contact Samsung, they will gladly get a service technician scheduled for you at a cost of $100.00 just to look. The actual part is user replaceable, but requires you use a heatgun or blowdryer to remove the number pad and involves replacing the control board for the keypad. The part cost about half of what the microwave does.
You might be saying to yourself, ahh this won't happen to me, I've always had good luck with Samsung products and I agree....if you are talking about TVs.
Samsung support will ask you to flip the breaker, leave it unplugged and then try plugging it in, press pause and cancel while you plug it in and several other troubleshooting steps that do not resolve the problem. Once you get this error, it will not go away. Another thing I'm experiencing is that if you leave it plugged in, the microwave will beep incessantly. I've just left it unplugged for that reason. Recently I plugged it back in to use it to heat something up quickly. It averages around 45 seconds of heating before giving the same old error. I spend a lot of time reading about items I plan to purchase to avoid this kind of thing and nothing makes me more furious than when the problem is a known design defect. It wasn't known when I purchased this unit, but it is now. Again, save yourself the money and get something else.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2012
After about 18 months of working beautifully, we also got that SE error. Called an authorized dealer and between the cost of a service call, the price of labor and the price of the new keypad, it will cost $200 to fix. No way!! I will be purchasing a new microwave and it will most definitely NOT be a Samsung!! Time to issue a "recall" like they do with cars...they know who has registered this product. We should all be given replacement keyboards free of charge. We need lemon laws for appliances. I urge you to stay away from this one.

***UPDATE***
I spoke with the authorized service provider and he suggested I contact Samsung directly (1-800-726-7864). I spoke with customer service and then was transferred to Executive Customer Relations. They first offered me a free replacement part but told me I would have to pay for the service call and any labor charges. I told her that was not acceptable as that would still cost me $135. She put me on hold again and came back telling me she could give me as a courtesy a ONE TIME ONLY warranty extension. She made it clear it would not ever be repeated. So, at least now I will have the repair done at no cost to me. Hopefully the new part will last longer than the original. I suggest you try giving them a call if you are one of the many with this problem.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 13, 2012
This microwave has had one problem after another since it was installed close to a year ago. It's prone to all sorts of computer malfunctions. Let's see if I can even remember them all. We've had it start up again after pulling food out and closing the door (without hitting start again). It's often (50+ times) sounded as if it was working, but when I realized it had been an awfully long time without it chiming, I found that it had frozen just a few seconds into the heating. The most disturbing problem was that it has on perhaps five occasions turned on on its own--with no one in the room. There have been many occasions where it has just not worked at all. When this happened, unplugging it and plugging it back in used to reset it so that it would work. Unfortunately, it now won't work at all, with just the code, "SE" flashing on its display.

We're buying a new microwave this weekend, and I can guarantee it won't be a Samsung.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2012
As with many, many others, mine has the dreaded "SE" error code, rendering it useless. I read online that someone removed the button panel, fiddled with the wires, and it worked again for awhile (they had to keep redoing it), but it didn't work for me. Not that you should be doing that anyway, or, more to the point, not that you should HAVE to be doing anything like that anyway, especially with a product that is little more than a year old. It's absolutely shameful that Samsung refuses to make it right, or even acknowledge that the problem is widespread. I also have a 47" Samsung TV that many others have had major issues with (not long after the one year warranty expired, much like in this case) that appears to be failing on me as well. All brands have issues with some of their products, but I've seen more than enough from Samsung to swear off buying one of their products ever again, and I'll be going out of my way to tell friends and family to avoid Samsung like the plague.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I brought a samsung SMH9187ST back Nov. 2010, which is the same exact microwave as the SMH 1816S with the exaact same features listed. On June 14, 2011, I had a technician come to my home to repair this unit. This unit was under warranty at the time. On May 6,2012, samsung microwave display SE on the screen. Call samsung office and they referred me to a service tech. also, stating the unit was not under warranty regardless of the last repair date. I call the service tech. office somewhere in Norcross,GA.to find out what it would cost for a visit to my home. The office employee(not the tech.) stated "the tech. visit for my area would be $140.00 to look at and replace the unit part which would cost $75.00. Total cost $215.00" The employee that was not a tech. quoted me the cause of my problem and the part that cause the problem without some even looking at the unit. Sounds like the repair company already have a lot of information without every touching or looking at this samsung microwave unit. This appears to be an on going problem with this unit even though the on thing that has change is the model number Samsung SMH1816S.
If, you have not had a problem in the first year consider yourself lucky. When you have had two problems in 18 months with this unit it is time for a recall on your product. Stay away from this microwave unless you don't mind an inconvenience and spending more money.
on May 1, 2012
This was our first (and last) Samsung appliance. The microwave preformed very well for the first year. Since it is installed in a vacation home with no children, it received very light service. A few weeks after the warranty ran out, the oven failed. To their credit, Samsung did give us a one time extension on the warranty. They unfortunately do not have their own service organization and it took 2 weeks to get the oven fixed, but it was done without charge.

A few weeks later the product again failed. I called the repair company and told them what happened. They said the failure was different and therefore a new repair and to call Samsung for another warranty extension. They refused, leaving me with a broken appliance just over a year old. The cost of the repair is about 1/2 the cost of a new microwave.

I would not recommend Samsung. Two breakdowns in less than 1 1/2 years is a bit much. I guess it's back to GE.
on August 29, 2012
I bought this item after doing a lot of research and physically shopping through all the appliance stores to test out different models in person. It was one of the nicest looking microwaves with plenty of interior room and great functionality. I had read reviews that the "plastic handle" over-the-range microwaves had problems with breaking and cracking from heat exposure over time, so one of the features I wanted was the durable stainless steel handle. It has tons of functionality, including dual option lighting, 3 fan speeds (the lower fan speeds are more quite than the previous whirlpool we were replacing), 12 one-touch sensor cook options on the keypad (including a soften feature that many models do not have).

I almost got scared off by all the "SE problems" described in a lot of the reviews. Then I realized that all of them said the problem started within 1-2 years (just after the 1-year manufacturer warranty expired). So I got smart and purchased the item at Sears at a great sale price and paid $40 for a 3-Year In-Home fully covered warranty. I almost "never" purchase warranties on any of my appliances...but now I have the microwave that I love, along with the peace of mind :) I also have the option to extend that warranty if I choose to after the first 3 years. I am very pleased with this purchase decision.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2012
I bought this microwave 18 months ago from Sears and it looked good and worked just fine until the SE error message came up a week ago. Then the keypad stopped working. We tried plugging and unplugging, and I have tried all of the fixes found online but to no avail. I am now planning to replace it with a quality product. so much for buying a good looking product that reviewers say works well. I want my appliances to last more than a year and half.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations