4.0 out of 5 stars Great small portable projector
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:07 Mins
This is well not a review per-se but It's a video showing the Projector in action, however I am going to take a bit of time here in this written section to speak of some pros and cons that I didn't discuss in the video.

Pro
Small and portable
Rechargeable battery.
Internal memory.
read a good variety of video files...
Published on September 5, 2010 by Jesus Hector Fernandez

I work in an elementary school in technology and several of our teachers chose this projector to receive as part of grant simply because it was the least expensive of any projector offered by our contact technology vendor.

Published on April 7, 2011 by Ryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great small portable projector, September 5, 2010
Length:: 9:07 Mins

Pro
Small and portable
Rechargeable battery.
Internal memory.
read a good variety of video files even subs files, music files (FLAC comes to mind), it can show .DOC .PDF .TXT files too.

Cons
Battery, it says 1:30 to 2:00 hours but if having a USB pen drive connected the battery dies very fast.
Touch controls on the top of the unit, is sometimes not very responsive but still works good, also since the controls are on the unit
itself when changing settings or whatever you may accidentally move the player.
at 70+ inches (max 80-85) the image looks a bit dark, I dunno if its cause I don't have a projector screen, I'm getting one soon so I'll post a comment about how it looks after I test it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for artists, October 2, 2010
John Johnson "Jon404" (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
I'm an artist -- drawings and acrylics -- mostly smaller-size 8x10s and 11x14s. This projector is perfect for me. I can work from any digital image... project it on to panel or canvas from 16" away (8x10) or 24" (11x14). I project the image down to artboard on my kitchen table. It certainly will project a lot larger, but as a realist painter I don't have the time to do large-scale art!
Brightness -- I duct-taped a homemade projector mount to an old adjustable desk lamp, and, at 24", can see and draw the projected image perfectly in normal room light... great because you want to be able to see your pencil lines as well as the projected image.
Other comments -- echo the previous 2 reviews. Use it on the wall plug to avoid USB battery rundown. The menus are slightly confusing, you'll need to print out the user manual at Kinko's to get a handle on the choices. And it stays cool -- unlike older projectors, you don't have to worry about melting the original slide or hardcopy photo.
Sharpness -- the projected image is quite sharp, perfect for sketching. Not blurry. The focus adjuster is a great feature.
If you draw or paint -- particularly portraits, where being off a couple of millimeters changes the facial features completely, get this projector. But -- if you want to paint wall art, or large murals, you'll need a much more powerful projector, like the kind in corporate meeting rooms.
Hope this helps other artists out there -- it's neat to have this essential tool available at way under $500!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for its size, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
After doing my research, I decided to get the Samsung Pico Projector for my wife. She is a school teacher and needed a simple projector for her classroom. It had to be easy to transport and lock up when not in use.

I can't believe the performance you get out of such a small projector. She easily hooks up her laptop or iPad to it in order to show her power point, movies, and websites.

It is not super bright, but as long as you have control over the lighting in the space you are using it, it works great. I love the fact that it is LED so that I will never have to change a bulb and it doesn't get hot at all. I love that it has a battery with about 1.5 hours of use and I especially love that you can hook up a USB thumb drive to it and play movies or power point presentations right off of the drive. You can also use a micro SD card and there is 1 GB of internal memory. The fact that you don't always have to hook a computer up to it is awesome. That alone sold me big time.

It has a speaker, but it's not the best sound or anything, which honestly I really don't care about. It is so easy to hook it up to external speakers if you need everyone to hear it, but it is nice to have a speaker on it for previewing presentations and movies. You don't always have to carry around headphones.

My only complaints are that there isn't a remote control and that it is so small that it is too easy to move it around on accident when you have wires hooked up to it. That is easily solved if you mount it to a tripod, which is very easy to do since it has a tripod screw on the bottom of the battery pack.

It comes with a case that holds the projector and battery, but you will have to carry the cables in a separate case or container. The cables take up more room than the projector.

It's simple to use and honestly for the price, you can't beat it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, but be sure to understand it's limitations, April 7, 2011
Ryan (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)

On paper, the specs look great, very reasonably priced (a necessity in our field), it can play from USB/flash media, includes a battery, speaker, no lamp to replace, reputable brand (not needed, but nice to have). It's just like a netbook right?, just like a regular computer/laptop but smaller and therefore cheaper. Wrong!

The achilles heel of this projector is it's brightness, 30 lumens, while it's not hidden in any way by the manufacturer, and it's even touted as main benefit (printed in 18pt. font right on the front of the projector). Someone who isn't familiar with what a lumen is may be easily confused.

30 lumens is roughly equivalent to a 2-watt incandescent night light, or an incandescent flash light of the type that would run on two-AA batteries.

A typical full-size projector, like the Epson EX31 for about $50 more is rated at 2500 lumens, which is roughly equivalent to a 150-watt incandescent light bulb.

Yes, a "typical" non-portable, non-LED projector is literally 8300% brighter than this one.

That being said, the projector works as advertised, with a reasonably clear image, and decently designed menus with the useful USB playback option. But in the classroom setting, even with the lights turned off the image is too dim to be usable (owing to daylight coming in through the windows). Even when projecting a very short distance (about 3 feet), and even with the lights turned off in the room the image is a bit too dim and washed out to be desirable. We would definitely be sending it back if it weren't for our vendor's "all sales final once opened" policy.

I'm sure it has it's uses, there's no way you could take a "typical" power-hungry 2500 lumen projector and run it off of a battery, nor could you ever fit such a projector in your pocket and the SP-H03 can do both easily.

If you're familiar with using or purchasing using "traditional" full-size tabletop projectors, be aware that this is designed completely differently. It trades off brightness (in a big way, a factor of 85 to be exact) in favor a design that's power-efficient enough to be practical to run on a small cell-phone type lithium battery and that generates so little heat that a large fan and cooling assembly is not needed.

It won't replace your typical projector cart/tabletop projector for any kind of typical boardroom/conference room/classroom with projector screen setting, but may be useful if your imagining a use for a projector where it would otherwise be impractical, maybe for showing a movie while camping well after dusk, or for an artist doing a tracing in an outside/public setting, or for an impromptu sales presentation.

Sadly, we didn't fully research the specifications for it and are stuck with a product that's practically useless for what we use projectors for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro's and Con's, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
CONs: It has an always-on blue led on top near the controls always draining power. Agree that it really really needs a remote. The snazzy touch key control interface on top lags and has a stupid "ding" which annoys me. And you can't charge it via usb or access the external micro sd card via usb either. Usb only gets you to the internal 1 gb. Couldn't see the doc files well enough to read and it is very selective about the pdf's it will display.

PROs; Does a very good job with movies and PPT's. i loaded a movie right off my phone into it and it worked great. Smooth motion, crisp and clear pictures, and bright colors! Used it to present a PPT slideshow at work and had a lot of fun because I told people i had a presentation and they were all looking for a laptop and projector. The speaker is actually decent even if mono.

Samsung has phones I am told with this projector chip in them and I would recomend getting one of those.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mini-projector, February 15, 2011
Rene Canlas (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
Had mine for about a month.

Very small and light. Fits in a small bag with my iPad. Picture quality is great, especially when projecting onto a white (non-glossy) surface. I usually project the image on my ceiling so I can watch movies from bed. I hooked up my small hamburger speakers to the speaker out port, and used the USB port on the projector to charge the speakers at the same time.

Although I've seen reviews which claim that the unit supports component or YPbPr video, I've never been able to get it to work with a VGA to component dongle. This leads me to believe that the unit only outputs RGB via the VGA dongle. I hope a future firmware update resolves this. In the meantime, you can get a cheap component to VGA box, which works, but the image is not as sharp.

Its a shame that the unit does not come with an HDMI port. To remedy this, I bought an HDFuryII dongle to convert HDMI signals to VGA (RGB & YPbPr). I've been able to connect my PS3 and DVD player to the SP-H03 and the picture quality is so much better than using a VGA box. The HDFuryII also came with a GammaX adapter, which provides manual gamma control, and helps bring out details in dark areas. A tip to those who plan to use an HDFury or HDFuryII with this projector--you can use the USB port on the projector to supply the 5V 500ma required by the HDFuryII dongle. Once the HDFuryII is powered on this way, you can connect the GammaX dongle without needing to power it.

The media player software on the SP-H03 is a mixed bag. On one hand it supports a lot of video and document formats. However, there seems to be a 2Gb file size limit

Lastly, this baby badly needs a remote control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Projector in a Small Package, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
Love the size of this thing. And much brighter than I thought. The internal media player and 2 hour battery is what won me over and this product delivers on both accounts. Has all of the connectors you need. I did buy a small tripod to help point the image where I want it. I use it for entertainment while camping. Now I am a happy camper.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bright enough, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
I have been rather disappointed with the clarity when displaying from my laptop and with the brightness. You really need to have the lights dim or off to see what is being displayed and in my role i was looking for something a bit stronger. For the size it is great but i would not recommend this product if you are looking to see anything from your laptop with the lights on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable until it dies..., February 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
My unit was manufactured april 2011.
I thought that, being led, I'd have one less source of problems...
I was right, since the led didn't die.
But the unit stopped working in the middle of a movie.
Since its DLP, i think that the spots on the screen are due to the mirrors stuck at a specific position.
I'm not sure what went wrong, I never used the audio of the unit, but the day it died I decided to plug the output of the cable tv receiver (A/V out), and use a headphone. But the audio was intermittent, like something was digitally muting it on low audio levels...
Now, after powering it up, only appears some 'random' bright dots. No drive mounts on the usb (maybe trying a firmware update might bring it back to life).

By reading other posts, and watching how many questions samsung actually answered on their site, i know my headache is just beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's great, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector (Electronics)
I have one and I like works, with movies, videos, and more things alone there are five stars but you would give ten

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›