Most helpful positive review
37 of 39 people found the following review helpful
Fast i5 (2.6 to 3.1GHZ), brite display, touchpad suks
on July 15, 2012
I give the Series 3 four stars, minus 1 for the crappy touchpad sensitivity. See Con comment below.
Xlnt display resolution
Aesthetically appealing to the eye; cover is brushed 'ribbed' aluminum with 2" black band at rear.
Wide keys, short pressure, positive feel
Full numbers keypad on right
Single screw holds cover to memory and HDD, makes for easy swap out
No dumb WiFi on/off switch front panel, prevents accidentally switching off connection
A full pound lighter than Dell
Strong solid looking hinges
i5-3210M Ivy Bridge, HD4000 controller works as designed
3MB L3 cache
CON: The super sensitive touchpad.
**First thing first; Use the touchpad to set screen size, then go to ctrl panel, Synaptics Touchpad to disable BOTH one-finger and multi-finger gestures. If you don;t this is what you can expect:
1. Sensitivity -horizontal AND vertical - scrolling is at the next to last slowest speed.
2. If the left palm is within 1/8-1/4" proximity of the touchpad, the touchpad shrinks or enlarges your screen on its own. Tapping an resetting screen size constantly is annoying. Mostly dues to far left placement of the pad, not centered.
3. Email composes start @ 14+ font then shrinks to 10 and back and forth and back and forth all over the place. When composing the font size appears normal. When the display size changes the fonts do to but they never reset to the last display. Major bug.
1. Annoying bloatware
2. Power cord on left, I prefer right
3. No keyboard backlite
4. OK Samsung memory, 1x4GB & 1x2GB, latency 11-11-11-28. This was swapped for new 2x4Gb sticks
5. Big hunky/clunky 750GB SATA HDD. This was swapped for an SSD. Boot time is now 9 seconds. HDD being used as an external drive
6. Weak/low L1 & L2 cache [256kb]
7. Samsung online Chat Support is h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e. They're absolutely brainless and will waste your time. With a rating of 1 to 10, I generously give them a -10 [minus ten]. Do your own troubleshooting.
8. Battery life claim is up to 6.3 hrs. Even at the lowest setting the best I can get is 4.5 hrs, as indicted in the notification bar.
Don't forget to check the update page. The i5-3210M is fast for a tier 2 CPU, better than other i5's as it does turbo from 2.6 to 3.1GHZ.