5.0 out of 5 stars big bang for a little buck
Published 21 months ago by Dylan Gibson

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this model if you need Intel Wireless Display
I bought this machine to integrate with my Smart TV using Intel Wireless Display. Having spent $700
and two weekends, I have no luck.

Published 13 months ago by Haiwei Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars big bang for a little buck, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Series 3 NP350V5C-A01US 15.6" Core i5 750GB HDD Laptop(Titan_sliver) (Personal Computers)
This laptop is great. It arrived promptly in perfect condition, and when I booted it up it was easy to see I was going to love it. I agree with the critical reviews--Windows 8 is the most impractical operating system for a laptop/desktop...it's a drastic shift from the old ways and makes everything so much more complicated than it has to be. But I won't dock points on the machine that it came installed on for that fact; samsung is just trying to keep with the times. I plan on installing windows 7 sometime soon if I am able. back to the point though...

This laptop packs a lot of power for just $500, which was my main concern. I use it to do schoolwork, take notes, and play late-release games and it runs so smooth. If you care about aesthetics, this thing is so sleek and shiny, trimmed down and easy to tote around.

At first I was weary about buying a samsung, because my friend has an i3 samsung and said it overheats frequently. I have not had that problem with this one in the least bit, and it even has fan control settings that control noise/performance.

The speakers leave a little bit to be desired, but it's a laptop--you can't expect much from such a tiny sleek machine. My only other qualm with this computer is the fact that the caps lock button doesn't have a light on it, so you don't know when you're about to type in caps...in my book,however, that's not the worst problem to have.

I especially like the fact that the screen is matte, as opposed to glossy. It's easy on the eyes and has literally no reflection, and works well in direct light as well. Same goes for the trackpad--your finger won't get all sweaty and stuck to it while you're trying to navigate around.

Besides the capslock button and the speakers (which in my book are very minor drawbacks), this thing is a perfect practical laptop. It'll get everything you need done and you cannot beat the price for the system specs it sports. Trust me, I shopped around for a couple weeks before settling on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Linux frendly., March 19, 2013
Pros:
Hardware power (i5+6RAM+750GB)
Linux works with all HW.
1 GB net. Only 100mb on DELL.
Good screen. TN, w/o PWM.
4 USB.
Price.

Cons:
Samsung software.
Win 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop for the price, July 17, 2013
Ryan D (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
Really, a very good laptop for the price (sub 700$ and free shipping). The i5 processor is plenty fast for most typical purposes. The 6G of memory is equally nice.

What I did was to purchase a 128GB SSD to replace the platter hard drive to really give this laptop some speed. Typical platter based hard drives are a big bottleneck, but I simply won't pay the premium to have them pre-installed at a big markup, so I do it myself.

Also, I have to look around to find a screen with a 'Matte' finish. I really don't understand why so many screens these days are the high-gloss finish with an awful glare. Matte finish on this is very nice.

So far, no problems. All things considered, the bang for the buck on this laptop is pretty good. The construction is solid, and the manufacturing looks very good. If I needed another mid-end laptop, I'd probably get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, March 12, 2013
I'm no computer nerd so I'm not going to bore you with specifics because to be honest I don't know a lot about them except for the hardware. What I do know is this computer is FAST, built solid, lightweight, charges fast, holds a charge quite well and does everything we need it to do. Windows 8 was little weird at first but once I got a hang of it it's not much different than other versions you just have to figure out where things are. For the price it's a solid little rig and I wish this was mine instead of the wifes now I'm jealous because I'm stuck with our 8 year old desktop and she can walk all around the house and do everything plus more than I can. Yes, she loves it too but I should have bought it for myself. :-)

Buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this model if you need Intel Wireless Display, October 22, 2013
and two weekends, I have no luck.

I have checked out the website of both Samsung and Intel, which confirms that this model and CPU chips support Intel WIDI. After receiving the machine, I noticed that the WIDI software wasn't installed. When I tried to download it from the Intel website, I got an error message that this platform is not compatible with WIDI.

Talking to the Samsung online help, who insisted that the machine supports WIDI. They even send
me a link to prove it. I was given the instruction to re-install all kind of the softwares again.
It didn't work.

Ruby: [...]

After searching on the Intel support forum, I found that it requires all three Intel components:
CPU, graphic card and wireless card to support the WIDI. This machine has two Intel components:
CPU and graphic card. Its wireless card is not compatible with Wireless Display.

The Samsung repair center confirmed what I have found. However they don't consider it a defect
since there is a wireless card installed in the machine even if the machine can't do WIDI
as they claim on their website. I will have to wait for them to get back to me.

Very disappointed and frustrated with Samsung. I am used to the capability to return a product if it doesn't work. In my case, the vendor refused to take it back since it is open. The manufacture
refuse to recognize the defect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Computer, March 11, 2013
This is a good computer for the money. Windows 8 is very interesting to learn but once you do,it is very easy. The only short coming I have found is the camera. It is advertised as 1.3 MP but it only shows up a as .9 MP. Images are very grainy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, but Windows 8 sucks, March 2, 2013
Laptop performs well. It was delivered on time in good condition. Only bad thing is it comes with Windows 8. Do not get anything with windows 8 installed. It sucks. If I had known how bad it is I would never have bought a computer with Windows 8. I am looking in to downgrading to Windows 7. It will cost me another hundred dollars, but will probably be worth that to get rid of this crap operating system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., March 1, 2013
The product is great, work fast and full.
Come to my house in good time.
We have not problems with anythings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible laptop...worst ever!, November 4, 2013
Rich (Albany, NY) - See all my reviews
By far the worst laptop I have ever purchased.
Combine Windows 8 with a disappearing CD drive that is not even recognized as a device or drive most of the time and it makes you want to throw this thing out the window. Also have problems with bank sites and Netflix among others, but I think this may be a Windows 8 issue.
Samsung support initially misdiagnosed the CD problem and now the only option is to send this thing to their service center for repair which will probably be at least a two week turnaround. And they are not responsible for any data loss or any shipping materials to get it to them. So buy your own flash drive and back everything up and then send it off to Texas. So I am still out of pocket even though this machine is under warranty.
If I wasn't so cheap, I would just take the loss and buy another.
Never. Never, Never buying a Samsung product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., April 12, 2013
Works great, looks great, and feels great to use. Still getting used to windows 8 though, I wish it had an option to come with windows 7.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›