on July 21, 2012
I was looking for a very thin and light computer with a second generation AMD A-series APU chip (7000 series graphics). As far as I can tell, the 13.3 and 14 inch Samsung Series 5 computers were my only options. I chose the 13.3 and I'm very happy with it.

The laptop comes with 4 GB of RAM and an open slot into which I installed a second CT51264BC1339 Crucial 4GB 204-PIN Sodimm DDR3 4GB stick of RAM. The computer is noticeably zippier with 8 GB of RAM, so I recommend upgrading (it was pretty easy, but note that the RAM cover is held down with clips as well as a single screw -- it doesn't swing open nicely like the manual seems to indicate. You have to pry it open with a screwdriver, which isn't too bad).

The computer boots fast, runs fast, and generally performs as you would expect given its stats, with no extra frustrations. I've played Civilization 5 on it with no lags or other problems (I'm not a hard core gamer). It's a perfectly respectable competitor for Intel ultrabooks.

And it's hard to overstate how nice it is to use a 3.5 pound laptop. The weight difference versus my previous machine makes my commute (by ferry) and travel much more pleasant, not to mention just browsing on the couch. Overall, for the cost, this is a good solid choice.

If you're looking for something small, light, and reasonably powerful, this is a good laptop at a good price.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2012
PROS:

Very small footprint. Box is small, only a few documents and charger included.
Slim profile, sleek, and powerful. Performs just as good as it looks.
Two regular USB ports, One USB 3.0. HDMI and Mini HDMI out. Media card reader (4in1)
Overall I am very happy with everything. I wanted a smaller laptop without losing certain features.
I have this little thing hooked up to my 46" LED via HDMI. I cannot complain at all. I play some games on it with no hiccups.

CONS: 5400RPM Hard Drive...It should have came with a 7200RPM. It got pretty hot. Temperature is OK when not plugged in, but when it is...it is way too hot to touch.
I fixed this easily with some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. I had to take the whole thing apart. Comes with a lot of bloatware.

I would highly recommend getting this mid-range ultrabook. It is very affordable, and comparable to the higher-end ones.
I would definitely purchase this if you can fix the issues above stated.

Bottom line.

It's not the best money can buy, but at this price range you can't beat it. You just have to be able to put in a few hours to make it the way you want it. ( See Cons)
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2012
Pros:
- Very nice design, sleek and elegant (similar to macbook air)
- Light and portable
- Runs pretty smoothly, i.e. no lagging or delay when opening and running programs (from what I could tell during my short ownership)

Cons:
- Mine would overheat and crash, and became too hot to touch on the bottom side near the back. This made the laptop pretty useless, and I had to return it for a refund.
- Lots of bloatware (i.e. useless, pre-installed software). Just annoying to uninstall it.
- Ships with a recovery CD, despite the lack of CD drive on the laptop. You'll need an external CD drive, or be able to copy the CD contents to a bootable USB flash drive.

Important note: I strongly encourage anyone who still decides to buy this laptop (after all, mine might've been a single case of overheating) to first do a complete re-installation of Windows using the CD (or some other form of "stress testing") just to see if it can make it through the process. Mine couldn't, it would overheat during the process and crash. The last thing you want is to use it lightly for a few months, only to later find out it overheats during longer, more intense use. Try to test out everything on any new laptop you buy.
on December 15, 2012
The screen looks awesome, even in direct sunlight. I can play Team Fortess 2 with a lot of action and not drop below 30 fps. I work with scientific computing so having a Trinity core that I can test code out on is nice. I get a little over 5 hours battery life in Windows with the brightness at 60%. In Linux I get a little over 4 hours with the same brightness. The power plug barely stays in place, but this ended up being a nice 'feature' when I tripped over the power cord. The screen has some flex, but the keyboard does not. The whole thing feels fragile, but maybe that is because it is so thin and light. It has survived my bad habit of throwing my backpack into my card for two months now, so it can't be too fragile.

I could not get the wireless to work in openSUSE 12.2, or at least WPA2. The wireless worked fine in windows. It did get hot when playing a game, up to 70 degrees C. I switched out the wireless card with an Intel one, you need a half height mini PCIe card. This required taking the entire laptop apart. Since I had it apart I put some different thermal paste on the CPU and got a 10 - 15 degree temperature drop. You can get to the extra RAM slot and hard drive by just removing one screw. The hard drive is 7mm high and you will not be able to fit a standard 9.5mm one in there. I put a 7200 RPM Hitachi drive in this laptop and an extra 4GB of RAM. The 4GB the laptop comes with is soldered to the board.
on July 13, 2012
This is my first ultrabook as I cannot afford a proper Mac Book AIr.
Guess what this is amazing it is so fast for a thin laptop and runs Modern Warefare 3 brilliantly much better than intel HD3000.
on September 7, 2012
I bought this computer for work since I travel, don't need a CD drive, and did not want a MacBook Air. I started with a MacBook Pro, and returned that for this Samsung - best decision I've ever made.

This computer is ultra light and sleek with all the right ports. There is no backlight on the keyboard which saddened me, but after using this for 2 weeks, I'm still in heaven. That so far has been the only "flaw" if you could even call it that.

I'm running Win7, Office Suite on a regular basis, soft phone, and internet browsers. I've also installed STEAM to play games, and have had no issues at all. I LOVE the ethernet port with the flap that extends when you need to plug the cord in.

I am having some trouble purchasing the mini HDMI to VGA cable. The two that i've ordered have not been the right product. I don't think that adapter is widely used. Again, I'm so smitten with this computer, it does not even bother me.
on October 26, 2012
In less than 10 days, I have returned 2 Samsung laptops. I got this Series 5 in the beautiful deep pink and was using it in battery mode. It was not bad until I decided to take out the power cord for a charge only to be met with oddly loose male and female parts which, as you can imagine, meant issues charging the battery. Since I am thankfully not blessed with many arms like Goro and one finger typing never had any appeal to me, I found it exceedingly inconveniencing to have to devote one hand to holding in the power cord to ensure constant AC connectivity and battery charge so I switched this laptop for Series 9 ultrabook which I immediately fell in love with... until I decided to unplug the power cord and use the battery. It just randomly shut down at will!! How ironic is it that the solution in one laptop was the problem in the other?

Also, please listen to other reviews mentioning how hot this thing is. It is BURNING! Clearly Samsung does not favour me. Oh well...
on December 28, 2012
A really great computer, perfect to take to class and to watch movies. I have no negatives on this product, and I am very pleased by it. It was delivered promptly. I would recommend this to any college student or anyone who just wants a lightweight laptop. I also appreciate the memory and ram on the computer, much more than another product of this size and in its price- range.
on January 14, 2013
There are two parts to this review.

1st: the laptop itself is somewhat clunky and the design slightly flawed. I started having speed issues almost immediately and the keyboard/track pad lead you accidentally jump the cursor often. The cursor thing is even more annoying than it sounds.

2nd: After experiencing a keyboard problem and sending this in to Samsung to repair (under warranty) I've just completed the worst customer service experience of my life. I wont go deep into details, but suffice it to say that I'm asking them to just send it back to me more broken than I send it rather than talk to another Samsung CSR ever again.

Beyond never buying another Samsung Laptop -- I'm never buying another product made by this company. Buyer beware.
on December 31, 2012
I had been looking for an 'ultrabook' or close to it as I wanted a 14" or smaller computer that wasn't a pain to haul around. After much searching and trying another Samsung laptop with Windows 8 I finally found that. After playing with a windows 8 laptop for a few week, windows 7 was high on my must have list.

This laptop is fairly speedy for an AMD processer, but I did ad an extra 4 gigs of ram. I think this helps get the job done a bit quicker. The hard drive has more than enough space for the average person. It is a 5,400 RPM HD and does not have SSD. I've love to have SSD and 7,200.. but for the price, I can manage.

The screen is everything I need it to me.. Some say you need a 1,600 x 900 screen, but this one works just fine since its just a 13.3" model.

Overall, no complaints so far. The samsung bloatware is a bit annoying, but some of it is helpful occasionally when it comes to finding the right drivers and such. I haven't gotten a true read on battery life, but I don't believe it is 7 hours as advertised. As long as its longer than 5 hours or so, I'll be happy.