5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty solid machine
Published on August 22, 2012 by Nick

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Screen
The quality of the LCD on this laptop is pretty terrible. The colors are washed out and the vertical viewing angle is absolutely horrible. I bought this to program on and I found myself constantly adjusting the display angle try to get it right so I could comfortably read the screen.

After it stopped turning on I decided to go ahead and send it back...
Published on December 20, 2012 by Brent O

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty solid machine, August 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S03US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Silver) (Personal Computers)
After about a week of ownership i can honestly say ths lapto has been nothing but good to me. The keyboard took some getting used to but now im back t full speed. The gpu, cpu, and ram all make this a gaming machine that can run any game (even BF3 purportedly) on reasonably high settings. I did have a bit of lag playing Magicka, but that game seems to give a lot of computers issues. It loads up really fast and unlike the guy who reviewed it before me, i just uninstalled the bloatware, took maybe 5 minutes with CCleaner, and have thus had no driver issues. It runs games, loads everything quickly, and does so SILENTLY. When the fan does become audible during gaming, it is only a nice, distant whoosh of air, kind of like theres a fan on in the corner of the room.
The bottom does get a little warm, but never uncomfortable so. You also dont have to really worry about blocking the fans because they are cleverly placed in the hinge of the laptop. Solid build Quality and unlike the 17inchers, this model has 0 wifi issues. I can download at around 2mb/s on steam as opposed to 5mb/s on my wired pc.

Samsung builds good things that dont frustrate you, i reccomend this laptop. Also amazon is great

EDIT!
Though i will not reduce my star rating on this product, i want to point out a solution to a problem that i found with the laptop. If you buy this laptop and it appears to not be charging correctly, simply plug in the ac adapter into the computer and rotate a little bit away from you (the round bit that actually inserts into the left hand side). It doesn't happen that often and that's probably the simplest fix to a piece of technology that i have ever found. This engineering student still reccomends this laptop to anyone looking for a good computer.

EDIT 2!!:
After less than a year the ac adapter has given out, and only charges the laptop when it is off. Kinda sucks but a replacement was only $20 dollars. If you encounter charging issues i reccomend trying this adapter if your's gives out as mine did. B00AR4T8CK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop!, December 12, 2012
This Samsung Series 7 is a great laptop! I purchased this machine to replace a Dell i7 XPS that has had issues since day 1. I use the machine primarily for programing enterprise software such as websites, CMS, services. This work requires me to have many memory and processor hungry apps open at once and this machine handles them just fine. I like the brushed metal look. The finish doesn't really show fingerprints which is nice. The speakers sound good although I haven't used the machine as a jukebox. One of the items I find good performance with is the battery. It lasts between 4-6 hours depending on what you are doing and how bright the screen is. This is great considering the weight of the machine is still pretty light.

The first machine Amazon sent had a DOA hard drive. This definitely gave me pause. Amazon promptly replaced the machine within a few days though and the second machine is just fine. Thank you Amazon!

There are a few things that I find detract from the experience. The lid does not close very tight so it has a few millimeters of play. It won't flop open on you or anything but it will open up a little if you set in in a bag on its rear. The touchpad is huge which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm still getting used to it so it may just be a preference thing but it bothers me a little that my hand rests on the corners a bit sometimes. Not a big deal. My biggest concern would be the sturdiness of the lid. The lid will flex a bit if you grab it by the corner to close or open it. It is very thin which is good but it also appears to be a little flimsy. So much so that I am more careful than normal with it. I haven't had any problems though.

I would say the hard drive is weakest component of the system. The hard drive that comes with it is good. I do find myself waiting on it when I tax the system with many reads and writes. I think if an SSD is installed it would make this system hard to beat.

All in all I would highly recommend this laptop. So far it has proved to be a great machine. It has been stable, quick, and quite. I am happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than Great!!!!, November 24, 2012
This laptop is great! really fast, the images looks spectacular, it is very quiet, very thin, besides has a luxury desing, it's perfect for heavy duty work (I'm programmer). The only bad thing is the weight when you have to transport it. It was an excellent purchase, I'm very pleased. I highly recomended it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer!, November 23, 2012
Great product! I love it! It is very fast has lots of storage space and I have never had a problem with it! I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fast smooth and sleek computer! I would buy it again in a heart beat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Machine, November 22, 2012
This is a solid product with good gaming potential. It does come with a lot of shovelware, but what system doesn't? It also doesn't have that abominable Windows 8 on it. I've been using it for 3 weeks, at home, and work, and it has been 100% reliable and dependable. It is light, and has good battery life. The resolution on the screen is good, but it's not a retina display or an IPS panel, however I find it quite bright and usable. I purchased this at $1099, and it has since gone up in price due to Amazon's dynamic pricing, but I'd pay a little more for it. I'm very happy with this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars its great, May 20, 2014
Its fast,light and looks great. You can play games on mid-high settings without much trouble and its quiet. The speakers are good and everything runs smoothly, never had a problem with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finicky trackpad keeps this laptop from a FIVE., April 14, 2013
In fact, if I could give this laptop a 4 1/2 stars I would. Everything about it screams premium. I'll start with the construction. Sturdy. Sleek. Premium. There's no fancy, illuminated logo, but there is a nice, brushed aluminum top and palm rest combined with a plastic bottom. Now while I would've loved for an all-aluminum body, plastic is understandable as it doesn't radiate as much heat. So it makes sense. When opened, the laptop has a smooth, even looked. A very small bezel adds to the sleek, premium look. The keyboard provides fairly sizable clicks, and the backlighting is even throughout. Overall, it's like I said earlier: Sturdy. Sleek. Premium.

Next up is performance. This thing can scream. Booting up is fairly quick for a machine this size, usually under 25 seconds, when talking about a cold boot (i.e. completely powered off). Sleep mode reboots even quicker, and even when coming out of hibernation the laptop is fairly quick. Casual uses like web browsing, watching videos, pulling iTunes, etc., initiate quickly, and everything flows nicely. I use this for casual gaming, and overall performance is pretty great for a laptop that's not built with gaming in mind. Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, etc., play in high settings fairly well when hooked up to an external monitor that's outputting at 1080p. I'm sure in its native resolution, which is lower, the game would run even better. But again, I only play these games when they're hooked up to my 23-inch 1080p monitor. Another thing to note is despite all of this great performance, the laptop runs QUIETLY. I'm actually impressed at how little fan noise emanates when playing graphic-intense games or having multiple windows and such open. It's completely indicative of the quality of the components inside.

Finally, where this laptop stumbles is in its trackpad, screen, and occasionally quirky behavior. First things first, trackpad. Most Windows laptops are iffy in this respect so I can't be surprised too much, but the trackpad can get very jumpy. Perhaps its user error, and perhaps it's the bottom of my palm accidentally brushing up against the trackpad, but at times the cursor flies across to one end of the screen and other times when trying to scroll down with one finger, it acts like it has selected text and will not "unclick" from that immediately. It happens maybe 30% of the time, but it's still very annoying. The trackpad can also slow down to a crawl or stop working altogether. I'm not sure whether this is because Amazon (this laptop being a Warehouse Deal) completely wiped the machine, including all the drivers, Samsung-related software, etc., or because that's how the drivers are (something I'm leaning towards seeing as there are many complaints on Samsung forums), but it's quite annoying. Luckily, I use a Bluetooth mouse so it's not too much of a nuisance for me.

The screen is also slightly disappointing. Viewing angles are OK at best, and the color reproduction is also middle of the road. I can't complain much about the resolution, however, since it is 1600x900, something still uncommon in most laptops today. Still, a 1080p screen would've eliminated all complaints about the screen. As it sits, it's a better screen than 9/10 laptops, however, even lower resolution Macbooks look better. I would've preferred a quality panel with a lower resolution. Alas, we can't have it all. The rest of the quirks include what I'm sure are typical computer things, like USB drives not being recognized without a reboot sparsely, and programs not starting up immediately, but again, this happens infrequently.

Overall, this is a fantastic machine and if you can find one for the price I paid, $720 brand new, it is an absolute steal. Even in the $800 range it's quite a catch. For packing Bluetooth, a slot-loading optical drive, dedicated graphics, a quad-core processor, quiet fan, and a generous amount of USB ports, the few shortcomings more than make up for the overall value in features and quality. You won't find a better multipurpose machine than a Series 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, March 17, 2013
i have owned about four laptops now and this is far and away the best of them. i love my samsung and will recommend it to friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung laptop, December 23, 2012
Great and powerful!

The screen is very good, but not as bright as advertised.
Keyboard is nice to type. The backlit is great option when typing in the night.
Sound is great! A bit inconvenient is the combined connection Jack but if you have an iPhone you can use the standard hand free earphones.
Generally I'm very happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Screen, December 20, 2012

After it stopped turning on I decided to go ahead and send it back.

Everything else about the laptop is great except maybe the track-pad, which feels clunky. The keyboard feels great, the weight is not too heavy, and it looks nice.

I just can't get over that screen. If this had a nice IPS panel it would be THE notebook to have.