4.0 out of 5 stars one huge problem
i received this laptop a couple days earlier than estimated, and i have used it for 4 days now.

pros:
Published on August 13, 2012 by hello

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
I could not decide between the Asus G75 and the Samsung Series 7 (both 17.3" screens with 1TB drive and 8GB of memory) so I bought 1 of each.

Side by side shoot out:

Samsung: GOOD
-looks and feels 90% like a Mac book, which I liked.
-better lighted keyboard
-better battery life
-better sound
-light...
Published on September 17, 2012 by Huckleberry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars one huge problem, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S03US 17.3-Inch Laptop (Silver) (Personal Computers)

pros:
- the screen is BEAUTIFUL... i mean damn! it's beautiful. crisp. clean. clear. no dead pixels from what i can tell. this is my first 1920 x ? (1080p) resolution screen, and now i understand why some people have to have it. you will not regret the quality of this screen.
- fast... i don't have any plans in the immediate future to install an SSD, but it's already a lot faster than my desktop, which ran an e8500 processor.
- the build is excellent. super clean for my tastes.
- battery lasts a long time. once fully charged, i ran it on battery while downloading / installing / playing music / running programs, and it lasted a good 4 hours.
- runs relatively cool and quiet while i did all the above. the left side half of the laptop gets a little warm, but by no means does it feel uncomfortable to use. from my experience in using macbooks, macbooks get a lot warmer than this laptop during normal use.
- i read that the sound is very good from this laptop. and now that i've heard it, it's better than i thought it would be. very clean and very loud. i would say that it's a fitting sound system for the screen... and i have to say one more time: this screen is BEAUTIFUL.

cons:
- the BIGGEST WEAKNESS and possible DEAL BREAKER con: the wireless card is very weak. i read that the card itself is actually good and strong, but that something about the architecture of the laptop prevents the card from working to its full ability. you have to work relatively close to the router for it to work properly. i would be in a room where macbooks and ipads would get perfect reception, but this laptop would do crazy things and the wireless connection would continuously waver from excellent to weak signal. depending on your use and situation, this could be a HUGE problem for you, unless you want to buy an external usb antennae or something of the like.
- the auto dimming screen is awesome and sucky. it's awesome cuz it automatically dims and brightens the screen for you according to the lighting in the room, but when watching a movie in a dark room, the light from the screen itself affects the auto dimming feature, and so the screen brightens and darkens repeatedly. it's kind of funny, but mostly annoying. i'm sure you can turn off the auto dimming feature, but i don't know how.
- the keyboard as a whole looks nice especially with the back light. but the keyboard buttons themselves, when compared to a macbook, does not feel as SOLID. this comes down to personal preference, and i've come to like the feel of the buttons.
- while comparing the interface to macbooks... i would say the touchpad is about 1.5 steps behind macbooks. it's not as responsive and "crisp" as macbook touchpads, but it's almost there. it's not hard to use, but it does not respond PERFECTLY like macs do.

other thoughts:
- the heat of the laptop walks the line between between VERY WARM and ALMOST uncomfortably hot when running graphics intensive programs. it is what it is. if you want a laptop THIS THIN and SEXY to run graphics intensive programs at a super low temperature, you're asking for technology that does not exist yet. you just have to ask yourself what you want MORE. as i was looking for a laptop, i was torn between this and the ASUS g75vw. both laptops' specs are quite comparable, but what the ASUS gave up in thinness and portability, it made up in being able to run everything you throw at it at a very low, comfortable, and healthy temperature.
if you're more into looks and portability, get the samsung. and even then i would give the edge to samsung, because it does a great job of blowing out the heat.
the heat only gets to be a problem if you're in a room that is already uncomfortably warm (85 degrees +)

in conclusion:
FOR ME and my needs... i'm very pleased with this purchase. my only complaint, which is VERY LEGITIMATE, is the weak wireless signal (which is as good as no signal at all) that this laptop gets when about 20 feet away or more from the router. (i use a G router)
BUT i love the overall build quality, performance, screen, sound, feel, and appearance of the laptop so much that i am willing to buy an external usb antennae to make up for its main glaring weakness.

i give this laptop 4.5 STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect laptop!, July 30, 2012
First Off, This laptop was hard to get on Amazon! I ordered it about a month and a half a ago and still nothing. I checked almost every day on the site and still said 3-5 weeks. Until one day (July 23rd) I checked and sure enough there was a merchant on amazon that only had a few of these bad boys to sell. As soon as I saw that it was available, I immediately canceled my order with amazon and ordered it with the merchant. That same day I checked later to see how many where left and it was completely sold out.

Back to the review, this laptop is perfect!
-Beautiful screen, deep blacks, super whites
-JBL sound is great! nice subwoofer too!
-Keyboard is nice on the fingers, nice response, not cheap at all
-Laptop case is smooth and sturdy. Solid!
-Charging brick is small, not big at all.

Best of all, this thing is super fast! I use CS5 a lot and wow this bad boy boots all programs so fast!The boot up is fast too.
I really wanted to get this version because the hard drive clocks out faster at 7200 rpm, then the 5200 rpm.
Overall this laptop is great, worth every penny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, September 17, 2012

Side by side shoot out:

Samsung: GOOD
-looks and feels 90% like a Mac book, which I liked.
-better lighted keyboard
-better battery life
-better sound
-light weight

Samsung: BAD
-the wireless antenna on the Samsung is a crap design, as part of the aluminum case I read, and has 1/2 the power/distance of the Asus. Sitting in my living room (35' from the Airport Extreme router) the Asus runs at basically the same speed as on my desk, but the Samsung runs at 1/3 slower and buffers video. 10' further on our dining room table the Asus runs just a bit slower and the Samsung swings from no signal to 4 out of 6 bars without being moved or touched, and another 10' on the porch the Samsung has no signal.
-Runs hot
-touch pad is almost unusable
-not upgradeable

Asus: Good
-runs fast
-quite even with fans on high
-cool in lap
-upgradeable

Asus: Bad
-the G75 at Best Buy on display had already had the screen go bad, so I guess I'll just have to keep the protection plan on it.
-case is matte and shows every finger print
-hard to open screen (no finger slot)
-so so sound
-short battery life (4-5 hours)
-REALLY heavy (8+ lbs)

Doing a restore on the Samsung and returning it, which stinks because I liked it a little bit better for the sound and weight, but that does not matter if you can't use it in the primary place I bought it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a few caveats, October 29, 2012
Patrick "PCS" (RIVERSIDE, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought a nearly identical laptop from BestBuy (same internals except a 1TB 5400rpm drive instead of a 750gb 7200rpm drive) but as I mention below, I upgraded the hard drive so I see that as a very minor distinction.

Pros:
+Powerful - with a 3rd gen i7 and graphics card with 2GB dedicated memory this is a powerhouse of a machine (see one exception below).
+Quiet - The fans on this is effective (for reasons I mention below) without sounding like an airplane.
+Sleek - This is actually lighter than the 15.6 laptop I replaced while giving a larger, brighter screen and slightly longer battery life
+Display - for me 1080p was a minimum, but the brightness and color rendering on this are surprisingly excellent, and it is matte too, minimizing glare as an added bonus
+Sound - I usually take for granted that laptop speakers are junk, but this has a (tiny) sub-woofer and large sound bar that actually produces both substantial volume and quality, not matching my dedicated systems that cost $100+ for the speakers alone, but far exceeding any sound I ever expected would come out of my laptop.
+Ports - (2) USB3.0 + (2) USB2.0 + VGA + HDMI + Mini Display Port + Gigabit ethernet - connect to everything old, new and future (except thunderbolt) without any adapters to remember (take that apple)
+Build quality - the bottom is plastic, but everything else about this laptop is aluminum, a nice upgrade from plastic
+Modern headphone jack - the headphone and microphone jack are the same, utilizing the headphone/ mic combo from a smartphone. It won't let you do anything with the buttons, but now you don't need to buy a separate mic
+Trackpad - a large single piece trackpad that is very responsive and multi-touch enabled.

Cons:
-Can't quite do everything at once - the power supply and cooling system cannot sustain running the system at 100% CPU and GPU capacity simultaneously so it throttles down slightly. The speed drop is subtle enough not to be noticed in anything but the most intense video games, and it allows for a quieter and sleeker cooling system, but if you want every ounce of horsepower for gaming buy the gaming edition with a higher power power supply and more thorough ventilation.
-NOT meant to be upgraded - there is one screw to get to one of the memory slots allowing you to upgrade to 12GB ram, but it takes ~10 screws and prying open with a bunch of snaps to get to the hard drive, battery, and DVD drive, but the second memory slot is still inaccessible. Opening it IS doable (search YouTube for a how-to) but getting to 16GB RAM is not an option.
-Sharp Edges - if used without a separate keyboard the edges are very sharp, and can be uncomfortable on the wrists.
-Smart Caching overblown - in the last 2 years I went from a 5400RPM to 7200RPM to 7200RPM + 16GB SSD to SSD. The first three jumps are slight (10-25%) increases in speed. The last is a major upgrade (2-4x as fast). I tried this machine when I got it, but I couldn't operate at the slow speeds and had to go to my SSD. The caching helps a little, but upgrading to a SSD will make a world of difference (also, Microsoft Windows User Experience Scores are all 6.7-7.7 EXCEPT the Hard drive which is in the 5's Upgrading to an SSD moves it to 8+ so that the system is no longer slowed by data transfer rates)

Recommendation:
I find I almost never use DVD's anymore - my movies are archived, and my programs are downloads, so I replaced my main drive with an SSD($70-400), and bought an inexpensive adapter (<$50) to replace the DVD-ROM slot with a second hard drive - the drive that came with this computer. Now I have a machine that is super fast, low power, but still has huge amounts of storage. It is not something for the casual user to try, but the advanced user can pull it off, and in that new configuration I would give this machine 5 stars without question. It is unclear to me if opening the machine voids the warranty or not (I didn't break any stickers, but there are a couple nicks where I pried it open) but this makes this a truly modern machine that can tackle any task in a sleek and elegant package.

If someone took off the Samsung logo and slapped an apple sticker in the middle it would be difficult to tell the machines apart (except that this is brushed aluminum that I think looks a little better) and this machine with every upgrade I mentioned doesn't touch what the basic 17" macbooks went for, and far outshines them in capability. The intersection of elegance, power and portability make this an excellent choice as a desktop replacement, and a truly perfect substitute with a few modest modifications.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really nice machine..., September 7, 2012
Mark M Ford (Coatesville, PA, US) - See all my reviews
Out of the box, I found only one issue in that there was a pencil point blemish in the paint on the keyboard deck. Not anywhere near a deal killer - fixed with a dab of lacquer - sort of a shame, though. In any event, this is the finest sound system I have ever heard on a laptop. I think I can say goodbye to headphones and ear buds.

This machine is quick like a bunny. Love the keyboard soft touch, yet solid feel and the adjustable back-lit keys are great. It's big - but well built. The display is what you'd expect from 1080 full HD - stunningly beautiful. The touch pad is buttery smooth and responsive. No foolishness setting up out of the box - the usual Windows Updates, buzzed through them with my high speed internet and this machine. My already purchased keys and passwords worked seamlessly. The direct feed CD/DVD is awesome...no more clumsy trays.

I had no wireless issues whatsoever - I was up and running in thirty seconds with a full load of bars everywhere in my house. If there ever was an issue, it was either fixed or exaggerated.

This is a nice machine - I would recommend it to those looking for quality HD, sound and entertainment features. Only the small paint mar prevented a five star review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless issues?, September 2, 2012
I haven't had any wireless signal issues with the Samsung. I have an AT&T U-verse setup and I get all 5 bars and an exceptionally clear signal. I also haven't had any obvious heat or noise issues, but I am in a well air conditioned house and just surfing the web and playing various videos. The laptop has several settings including a quiet setting and if you have quiet setting combined with max performace, the laptop will get warm. I have also read reviews in which under a full load, meaning hard-core gaming, the laptop gets hot to the point of needing to throttle the GPU and CPU, getting uncomfortably hot for being on your lap and getting a constant fan noise that can be aggravating. Again, I have not experienced that yet because I haven't been playing a graphically intensive game for hours on end, but honestly, I don't think I'd have the laptop on my lap playing a hard-core action game and I'd have the sound up on high where the fan being on would'nt bother me too much. I am currently contrasting and comparing the Asus N76V to the Samsung Series 7 and they are both great laptops and am having a hard time choosing which one I want. The Samsung is definitely sexier than the Asus, being lighter, more compact, and even the power brick is significanlty smaller. Also the Samsung just looks and feels more premium with a higher quality back-light for the keyboard and a smoother, magnesium case that feels harder and more expensive than Asus' thinner, aluminum case. The Asus has a lot of light escaping from around the base of the keys when the keys are back lit and with the Samsung, the light is more controlled so that it doesn't leak out as much outside of the keys. The touchpad on the Samsung is also much more responsive and multi-touch works more accurately. Also, the keyboard is better in that the keypad section is full-sized and the touch pad is smaller so that the cursor doesn't jump around as much when typing on the Samsung. The overall speed of the Samsung is also better because the Samsung has an 8GB SSD to cache things with using its Express caching technology. However, since the Samsung is about $150 more, you could get a Seagate 750GB Hybrid drive and would have more capacity and a better caching technology so that the overall speed would be matched and possibly bested. The Asus also has a blue ray reader and writer while the Samsung just does normal DVDs. The sound on the Asus is better, easier on the ears, and the Asus includes a separate subwoofer that has its own dedicated subwoofer jack. Without the included Asus subwoofer, the Asus sounds less clear, but it easier on my ears since the Samsung has more treble clarity, but also fatigues my ears over long periods of time. With the subwoofer, the Asus definitely has more volume and greater bass presence and for me, better overall sound. The displays on both laptops are very good. The Samsung is "inkier" and has more saturated colors, however the Asus is easier on the eyes when reading web pages and spread sheets because the viewing angles are broader. Which display is better really depends on the person. If you watch a lot of movies, then the Samsung would probably be better, with greater color definition. However, the Asus is easier on the eyes and would be preferable if you spend hours reading small type and reading web pages alot. When you factor in the addition of a 750GB Seagate Momentus 7200rpm hybrid HDD, then the two systems are basically a toss up. I have noticed a couple of times where the Asus has displayed some strange behavior. For instance, once time the subwoofer somehow turned off the sound completely and when the subwoofer was disconnected and reconnected the sound came back. Also, the keyboard wouldn't respond when typing in a web page, but would type in every other program that was open. Restarting internet explorer solved the issue. Not sure if this meas anything yet, but haven't had any issues with the Samsung yet. Honestly, it's going to be tough for me to choose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Laptop for Me, August 11, 2012
i was looking at the Samsung Series 9 but after seeing that a 17" screen option was not available i went for the Series 7 since 17" screen and 1080p is a must have for me. i also take comfort in having a CD drive even tho' i don't use it everyday. for me that little added weight is a non-isse since i don't plan on lugging this laptop around everyday.

the original delivery date was supposed to be 3-5 wks from 8/6/2012 but amazon.com sent me eMail after i submitted my order that it was going to be sooner so i lucked out.

after i unboxed the laptop i went thru and tried this and that out and found pretty much everything worked but i could not get any output from the headphone jack. i checked and double checked the software end and everything seem to be in order so i suspected that the combo headphone and mic jack was not working. BTW, this combo jack, i suspect, was a redesign as the previous design uses a separate headphone and mic jack. it turns out that this combo jack needed extra force (and i mean extra) for it to make contact. and after subsequent usage it took less force which is a good thing but still i'd prefer a separate headphone jack and a separate mic jack.

the Realtek HD Audio Sound (2nd Output) Option also confused me a bit but that's another story.

all in all i'm happy with this new toy b/c it has all the features/options i was looking for, for half the price of a MBP

[BTW, amazon.com should update the pictorials as it still show the previous Model having a separate headphone and mic input port.]

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't Charge and heat too close to the screen, December 9, 2012
I brought this laptop 4 months ago. At first it was great...nice looking,sleek,fast. The screen is the right size ( no glare). But after a few of trying to get a proper internet connection, i became frustrated. I mean, you get barely one bar in a room where other, older laptops are get 3 or 4 even. The heat is generates goes right at the screen. Which i imagine will eventually stop working because of it. And if that isn't bad enough....the damn thing will hardly charge. You have to play with the charger extention to get it to charge. I've read that this happens with alot of this model...but Samsung offers no solution. I hate that i've spent good money for a high end laptop and ended up with something that barely works at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Buy it !!, March 31, 2013
Syed Zaidi (Harlem, NewYork, NY) - See all my reviews
Before you see other comments, make sure that they have bought this product or not (verified purchase or not). I was a bit hesitant buying this laptop due to some negative feedback on this product. I reviewed several other web sites as well. I have several laptops, including most frequently used MacBook Pro 17. I am using Toshiba Satellite & Qosmio, HP and have used Dell in past. I have couple of Samsung LED TVs and am a big fan of their picture quality. Samsung TVs are the best in picture quality in my opinion (and I could be wrong but that's what I believe). A big reason to buy this laptop was the name behind it.
1) I believe this is an excellent laptop, in terms of internet browsing (I have to complete medical records at home), I do watch streaming Netflix movies etc, it works like a charm (I did not encounter any problem with internet at all which was my biggest fear).
2) The product looks great but not the same elegance as MacBookPro. (Certainly this is half the price of MacBook).
3) There are people who have mentioned that they find this laptop same or better than MacBook, I disagree with them respectfully. I believe the best laptop in the market right now is the MacBook Pro (if you dont consider $$$). MacBook Pro is unique in terms of build quality, performance including boot time, appearance, resale value, and the list goes on....).
4) I have noted some users have installed SSD, I dont see any reason to do this since the speed is excellent. I opted for this laptop rather than the one with slower Hard Drive 5200 vs 7200 RPM (even though this one has less storage 750GB vs 1TB).
5) No heat up or noise issues. Excellent speaker sound (better than MacBook Pro). The laptop color is listed as silver but it really is metallic gray.
6) I do recommend buying this laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, does everything I wanted, December 10, 2012
Purchased this model after reviews about the large HD screen and use in bright lighting such as in outdoor settings. It does this very well.
Was also looking to futureproof my purchase so wanted the latest processor etc

Keyboard has a solid positive feel to it although the touchpad is a little sensitive but that could be atributed to my lack of experience having never used one before.

Disappointment was that although I had deliberately delayed the purchase until well after Windows 8 had been released there was no coupon/voucher for a free upgrade to windows 8.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›