4.0 out of 5 stars Great Basic Phone

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for prepaid plans
Published on November 15, 2010 by jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Basic Phone, December 9, 2010
K. Cole (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Smooth Verizon Wireless Prepaid Mobile Cell Camera Phone CDMA (Wireless Phone Accessory)
If you just want a phone to keep in your purse in case of emergencies, this is it. After getting totally fed up with Tracfone, I bought this. It's easy to put money on (which was my gripe with Tracfone. With this phone you program in your credit card number and once a month I punch in $15. Case closed, so to speak), has good reception and battery life, and customer service, the one time I've needed it in almost a year, was great. It's not fancy, but it serves its purpose well. And it can be even fancier than I usually need it to be, with pictures and text. I just bought two for Christmas presents (for 9.99 elsewhere - don't pay Amazon prices!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone and Signal Anywhere, October 31, 2011
The Samsung Smooth Verizon prepaid phone shocked me when I realized that I bought this phone for $10.00 and I NEVER lose a signal no matter where I go.

The phone takes pictures also. Not the best but that is not what I purchased the phone for.

This phone has all that I need to communicate with others via text or calling. I can also access GPS, the internet, my emails, look up restraunts in surrounding areas and it has many more features that I did not even know was on the phone when I purchased it.

What I also love about this phone is that I text over 1000 texts a month. I only pay $20.00 a month for a text bundle. I sometimes place calls which are short and to the point, less than 5 minutes, I hardly notice my balance dropping at all. The best part is my bill is around $20.00 a month compared to all of the other phones that I've owned which ended up being over $100.00 or closer to $200.00 and they always added in the fees for God only knows what.

I love the Samsung Smooth with the Verizon service. Never lose a call or miss one, I can text all day long, every day for only $20.00 a month, and all of the extras that I described above. It is worth every cent that I pay for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for prepaid plans, November 15, 2010
This phone is fine if you just want to use the prepaid plans, but if you want to activate an existing account (which I did) verizon will not allow you to do that until you have used the prepaid plan on this phone for 6 months. Not for people with existing contracts looking for a cheap way to replace their broken or lost phones. Not too many used options on Amazon for cheap phones, it is better to go to ebay if you want a used phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague - bad hardware, Keystone Cops service, November 22, 2010
Thank you Samsung for guaranteeing I never buy another cell phone made by you. After 8 months of use, this phone started making beeps when I plugged in the charger and gave spurious warning messages that it had the "wrong battery", "unsupported battery", even though it would eventually usually recharge. I called Samsung warrantee service, and they made a ticket and UPS label to send in the battery. Within two weeks after I sent it in, they finished the service and sent me an email they had shipped out a replacement. After 3 weeks it hadn't arrived, and when I checked the tracking number, I discovered they'd mailed it to some guy in Florida, not Hawaii. It took me a month of multiple phone calls and submissions on the web to get Samsung Service in Plano, Texas, to send me another battery.

When it arrived and I put it in the handset, it displayed the same malfunction. So the problem was in the handset, not the battery. I called Samsung and they told me to send in the handset without the battery or the door, which I did. Three weeks later, I get an email from Samsung that they have received the shipment and
"*** PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL***
We regret to inform you that your Samsung ticket [#####] was rejected due to the following reason.
REJECTED - INCOMPLETE KIT
The original item will be shipped back to you unrepaired." and in a separate email, "Your product was shipped on 20101122 at 102557 EST."

That message, though, was completely erroneous. Nothing was shipped back to me. It was followed by "We received your Samsung SCH-U350MBPVZW on 11/23/2010 at 12:41 EST". A week later, I got another message, "Problem found:
LOCK UP DURING OPERATION (SW)
SOFTWARE EMERGENCY RECOVERY
Solution: S/W Updated
Passed All Functional Testing",
and a week after that, the handset arrived back, and now appears to be working.

Would I sign up again for such an experience with a cell phone malfunction? No. There were just too many mistakes made here for this to be a fluke. Something is systematically wrong with Samsung USA. I resurrected my Motorola with a cheap OEM battery I got online, which I will continue to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for. In this case, not much., August 20, 2010
Knitty (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
You can make calls whenever the phone doesn't slip out of your hand. Sound quality's fine, for the first few months. And then it starts to sound like everyone you call is cutting in and out. Are they having phone reception problems? Nope, it's your phone with the problem. The screen is a decent size for a phone at this price, but what's the point when you start getting extra lines across the screen after just a few months of use? The phone does tell time, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as spare / emergency phones, November 20, 2012
I purchased these 2 additional phones as replacements for the current ones my sweetheart keeps destroying....over & over & over. I purchased the originals in 2009. He destroyed his 1st one (temper..temper..) in 2010. So I traided and gave him mine so he could go on a trip and be in touch if needed. On returning, that phone was run over...bummer! Replaced 2 more, Yup, his was accidentally dumped into a glass of fortified grapefruit juice.(that doesn't work well) I bought another one for him which he still has (so far). So, I decided to buy 2 more and keep them in stock for insurance.

One thing I am disappointed with is they come with a $10.00 (30 Day) initial allotment but that is not added to your balance when you have to replace the phone. Oh well!

I like these phones because I can get the service for $100.00 a year for now. We only use them for emergency so I re-fill both of them once a year. I just don't think anyone can get better service for that amount.

I gave it 3 stars because I / we don't use all the bells and wistles it is capable of and it doesn't come close to being in competition with many other phones but I can take pictures, not the greatest quality but still OK. and e-mail. It's capable of internet connection if needed but that eats up minutes instantly. It has more capabilities also but being financially restricted I just keep expenses as minimal as possible. (K.I.S.S.)

These are OK phones and for emergencies it takes care of that requirement. The cell service itself is normal & adequate. Yes I would recommend it to anyone as an emergency phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, May 7, 2011
This is a great phone i have had it for about a year no problems at all. I accually bought a different phone becuase i wanted a slide phone it has a better rating but its not near as good as this phone.the battery life is amazing last me 2-3 days of use. It has great sound quality. pretty much the best phone cuz there is little things about it that just make everything so easy to use. i give it a 6 out 5 i will buy again

5.0 out of 5 stars verizon cellphone, September 25, 2012
This prepaid phone is good for emergency situations. Although i wish verizon gave more options with their prepaid plans. You cant get just talk anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, December 4, 2012
Arrived on time or sooner,in original container as in any store.Also to my surprise ,included "2" Freebies ,an car charger and earplug....... Very fast registration with verizon wireless via the phone itself and also online for "my account".......Also includes call blocking and your phone id # stealthing..............

Beats Tracfone lol.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Basic Phone, November 23, 2012
I got this for my mom and she's thrilled. We switched from Verizon about half a year ago to another carrier. However, due to reception issues, we switched her back to verizon, but this time prepaid.
The prices for Verizon's prepaid per minute are not as great as the previous carrier, but this phone is great! It's almost identical to my mom's contract samsung phone, which lasted her years, except this phone is a little more up to date. The reception is just as great as it was with our contract phones too. It's a great basic phone, and if you told me it was a contract phone I would believe you in a second. It has a great feel to it as well.
I'm very pleased.