4.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat FREE!! [update :10-13-12, can no longer recommend]
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:30 Mins
[Update Oct' '12]
After the latest OS upgrade, the wi-fi has (for the most part) stopped working. Although the signal status of a connection could say "Excellent" with a 36 Mbps bandwidth (or higher), apps requiring a data connection (browser, Facebook, accuweather, etc.) will simply time out with warnings such as "no internet connection"...
Published on November 16, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
This is my 2nd Stratosphere and after a couple weeks I'm having the same issues that I did with the first. The phone does not transition well from an area with 4G service to an area with 3G (for example, I have 4G connectivity outside of my house, but once I go inside the phone drops to 3G or 1X). I'm constantly getting a "Network not available" message when I try to...
Published on November 29, 2011 by oddestfellow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars be gentle!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Stratosphere 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
A very nice phone with a very fragile screen. changes in temperature can cause the lcd to crack voiding any warranty. google it. lots of them for sale on ebay with bad lcd screens.

1.0 out of 5 stars On my 4th piece of this junk under warranty., November 25, 2012
If you decide you absolutely must get it, get the warranty. 7 months, on my 4th (going in tomorrow for my 5th). First, there are only 2 nice things when they are working, the screen and the camera. This phone is S L O W. The physical keyboard fails a lot. None of the 4 of these I've had will maintain a wireless internet connection of any kind, so forget that it says 4G. Every phone I've had before this lasted at least 2 years, even my previous Samsung. This phone is junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars On my third one, November 20, 2012
Hookette (Alexandria VA USA) - See all my reviews
bought this in Feb. 2012...15 days later, the screen died. Because it was over the 14 days I had to get a 'refurb' one. I just had to take that one back because it was overheating, wouldn't connect to internet unless I was on 4G (wifi worked on all but browsing the internet). New 'refurb' one seemed to work ok, but the 4G stays on at the same time as the wifi and drains the battery. I would not recommend this phone to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great potential but very dissappointing, September 15, 2012
Peter D. (Mahtomedi, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Lots of issues. I just hope after sending my third back in they will pay for me to get a different phone altogether. If not, I'll most likely pay for a different phone and have fun taking a hammer to this thing. Whether it's the occassional dropped calls (could be Verizon, could be the phone), my going mute without pressing mute, the very frequent keyboard issues or the somewhat less frequent touch screen issues, I have never owned such a frustrating device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, short battery life., July 22, 2012
The Stratosphere is my first smart phone, purchased on a Verizon contract. I like its keyboard and bright screen. With no experience to compare, I'm surprised at how slowly it populates web sites, either via WIFI or 4G. Often it times out before the site downloads. Battery life is too short to be practical, only about 10 hours with minimal usage (2-3 calls, a few texts). Verizon support is inadequate, the manual is superficial, store clerks can't answer simple questions. The GPS typically requires several minutes to lock and then drops off at random moments. Oddly, the phone overheats while on GPS. My next phone will be an iPhone, maybe I'll learn that all phones perform this poorly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of issues, July 16, 2012
S. B. (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I Have had this phone for about 7 months and loved it right out of the box. Fast connection, slide-out keyboard, large display. Camera, video & recorder are OK quality, but this is a phone and I didn't expect more than OK quality. There are several cons, though, some minor, others not. Most of these I did not discover until I had the phone too long to exchange for a different model.

1. Volume button on side is easily accidentally activated while simply picking up phone, resulting in volume turned so low that I cannot hear phone ringing.

2. Space button on keyboard is long and must be hit in exactly the right spot to work.

3. Screen difficult/impossible to see in sunlight.

4. Touch screen doesn't work if out on a hot day, such as at a swim meet, even in the shade! Saw a creepy guy at a recent swim meet but was unable to call the constable because I was unable to pull up my contacts, and no one else had the constable's number!

5. Square-up and Intuit credit card swipers don't work on this phone, which is disappointing because this is primarily why I bought a smart phone! According to Intuit's website, their swiper should work on this model, so it may just be my phone. And yes, I did try multiple swipers and talked to tech support.

6. At first I was able to charge the phone while it was on, but now I have to turn it off to charge it. As this phone is used for business this is NOT a good thing! Also sometimes the phone doesn't charge when it is plugged in, so I have to monkey around with it until I see a battery image pop up to make sure that it is actually charging.

I would like to exchange this phone for a replacement but they will only send me a re-conditioned one, and after reading other reviews, I am afraid that I will get one that is even worse than what I have now!

Bottom line,there are better phones out there, get one of those instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Love It - Mine has an odd quirk..., June 14, 2012
Had my Stratosphere since November, and generally very happy with it. 1st SmartPhone - though I'm too dumb to use it for all it can do yet! Came from a Blackberry Curve - WHICH I hated from day 1... apparently I'm not one of those "Blackberry People"!

Love the screen, but need to get myself a screen protector & case, etc. b/c it gets hazy for us gals from makeup & such. Scratched fairly easily. Great choice of apps & thx for the tip on the LED app - that has been an annoyance & could be louder for me. I don't have too many apps loaded, but gonna add some from other reviewers, so thanks for the info all!

WHY DO PPL KEEP SAYING THERE IS NO FRONT FACING CAMERA? HIT THE CAMERA ICON ON THE SCREEN & IT TURNS AROUND!!!! AND IT ZOOMS!

My main complaints are that I have terrible reception in some places - like my bedroom which is a problem when job seeking & then dropping calls while setting up interviews! OUCH! Also, tired of it asking for WiFi too often. Sometimes mine says there is no connection available for anything including texts not being able to send. Hellll-oooooo? Don't I pay for a data package so I have constant access????!!!! Notifications fr calendar are poor, I agree. Miss most all of them, so not sure why I bother adding things. Seldom touch screen freezes & have to reboot. Weirdest problem is when I turn it back on it makes a constant, very loud beeping noise & the only way it will stop is if I receive a text. Usually results in me texting myself. Anyone ever had something like that happen on theirs, and if so, what the *bleep* is it?

Overall, happy & the cons are not enough to discourage me too much! Now I'm off to download LED indicator & other recommended apps from your reviews - thanks again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, February 2, 2012
I got this phone at the end of December 2011. I previously had a Blackberry Curve and was a little skeptical about jumping on the Android bandwagon. After my husband got his Samsung Continuum in early 2011 I kinda fell in love with the Android OS but was put off by the touch screen. But when I saw this phone I just had to have it. I will admit that I do miss my Blackberry at times but I really LOVE this phone. I love that it has a slide out keyboard, although I'm getting better at the on-screen typing. The AMOLED screen is just brilliant. I have Netflix and tried it out on the phone as soon as I got it and the picture was just amazing. My one and only complaint about this phone is that there is no "sound profiles" like on Blackberry. However, there's an app for that, though it's still not as good as the Blackberry sound profile customization, it will do. The 2nd thing that sold me on this was that Gmail integrates so well with this phone (considering the OS is made by Google). Blackberry didn't handle Gmail very well to me. Overall I do not regret getting this phone and highly recommend it to anyone who is on the fence.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Keyboard, Good for 4G LTE and Unlimited Data Plan (for now), June 5, 2012
I got this in order to renew Verizon's Unlimited Data plan before they make their pricing/plan changes this summer. Before this, I had an LG Ally, which was similar in size physically and has a slide-out keyboard, but has a smaller screen and no 4G capabilities.

The keyboard on the Stratosphere is VERY disappointing compared with the Ally's. Though the real estate for the physical keyboard is only a tad larger on the Stratosphere, the keyboard layout on the Ally is much closer to a standard QWERTY keyboard. The FATAL FLAW on the Samsung's keyboard is the placement of the Shift key, which is under the A key and moves the bottom row of letters over by one. Having the key layout in a GRID may appear elegant, but it is far from being functional.

Something tells me the designers have never typed on a standard keyboard - when you want type a symbol that shares a button with a number, either a SHIFT or ALT (or FN) should generate the symbol. On the Stratosphere, you MUST use an FN for the symbol. This is especially annoying when I'm trying to type an @ and SHIFT-2 generates a 2. Have you had to type an @ lately? The Home key is located where a SHIFT key is expected, which makes it too easy to cancel a message by accident.

Verizon's bloatware goes without saying.

On the bright side, it is MUCH faster than the Ally and it has more built-in storage, so I can actually download and use apps.

And it was "free" via Amazon Wireless, though I now wonder if I should have spent the extra money on the Droid 4 if only for a proper QWERTY keyboard.

On the other hand, 4G LTE plus a HotSpot app (not the official one, of course) makes it work well for connecting a laptop via WiFi so some REAL work can get done - the slider keyboard is only there as a LAST RESORT.

Given that having a slider keyboard is why someone would choose this phone over another, I'll have to ding it MAJORLY for the keyboard's awful design. GOOD DESIGN IS NOT HARD!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please read before considering purchase., July 6, 2012
I've had FOUR of these, all broken OUT OF THE BOX.

You can find tons of specific, negative reviews about this product.

(1) Rarely connects to WiFi, even feet away from a router.
(2) Several ramdom reboots a day.
(3) Often 'disconnects' SD card.
(4) Fails to recharge, and often indicated 'recharging' when not connected to anything.
(5) Choppy sound (audio & phone calls)

The one I bought (and latter three exchanges) all had four out of five of these problems OUT OF THE BOX.

Verizon (when I bought it) Tech Support knows about this issue, but nothing's been done about it.

Samsung support is ridiculous, their scripts and software do not fully navigate flow charts of problem-solving. I found temporary solutions on the internet, that Samsung did not have in their resources.

This is not a software, adware, malware, virus, OS, or firmware issue. It's more than one fatal design flaw.

The average success rate with this model is 1 out of 3, going by reviews from several websites where people returned their phone for a replacement.

I've done a LOT of research about this make and model, and I strongly discourage anyone from getting the Samsung Stratosphere.

Please, DO NOT BUY.