Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung T404G Prepaid Phone With Triple Minutes (Tracfone)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 13, 2011
I've had my Samsung T404g for about three weeks, and I am extremely happy with my selection. Call me "low-tech", but I'm just not a big fan of smart phones or touch screen interfaces. I like buttons on my phone that I can touch and feel. This is the first phone I've owned with a full keyboard, and that is a nice feature. One of the things that attracted me to the Samsung T404g was the extended life of a full battery charge. Granted, I'm a very light mobile phone user - usually under 30 minutes a day for voice - but a full charge on this phone will last me almost a full week! The phone feels tight and solid, and the sound quality is smooth and comfortable to the ear.

Tracfone is a really great deal for me. The "Triple Minutes" plan that comes with this phone makes for a real value. Sure, the per-minute cost is always a bit high for "pay as you go". As a light user, though, I save a bundle over most of my friends who are on contract with major carriers. It's not for everyone, but pay as you go is a great fit for me, and I have been very happy with Tracfone service.
1212 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
I like the samsung T404g slider phone. I have several Tracfones but I like this one the best because of the sliding keyboard, and triple minutes I use it regularly gets good service from Tracfone, have been a customer of tracfone for many years using different samsung phones like this one the best.
Recommend this company and Phone.
on January 19, 2012
The best thing about the phone is tripling of any minute card you add to it. It has a great battery life. Takes decent pictures and the video is decent as well. The qwerty keyboard saves time when texting. The music player is ok, the only problem with that is that you have to stay on the music player app to continue playing your music. To personalize the phone or get on facebook, you have sacrifice a good amount of minutes depending on how long you stay on the browser or facebook app. The minute consumption is ruthless! You may accidently access the browser for a few seconds and quickly exit but the phone still deducts a minute so dont accidently leave the facebook app running and fall asleep because you'll wake up with barely enough minutes to have a phone coversation with or no minutes at all, so be careful.
on January 3, 2012
Purchased this phone before christmas. triple time was THE selling point. my old pay as you go ran 3 times the cost. i purchased a 1 yr. service card with 400 minutes and received 200 holiday bonus mins for $99 [that equaled 1400 min.], plus supersized 400 minutes at checkout for $30 [1200 min] for 2600 minutes TOTAL. that comes in at 5.3 cents per minute. standard texts run .3 min [about 2 cents ea.]; longer texts run .6 min [about 4 cents ea.] and i avoid browsing at all costs. i'm sure there's a way to have your FB stuff cached so one doesn't have to wait for long loads. the person who complained about not being able to see the keyboard must have gotten a bad phone as mine lights up bright enough to see anywhere. the person who hits the "back" button and goes into BROWSING should understand you can also "back" with the C button or skip to the main screen with the end button. trying to figure out if i can disable the "browse" button somehow, as i usually forget to lock the keys before i put it in my pocket - so i'm pocket punching keys all the time - easy to start up the browser w/o knowing it. this phone has a solid feel, a reasonable set of features that are easy to figure out, the keyboard is great. so far, having fun with it and extremely pleased with my purchase.
on November 5, 2011
I order this phone through Shopcellas and I was so impressed. I emailed them because I wanted to know the exact day of delivery & within hours I got a response. Just as they said I got the phone on the 3rd day since I paid $4.95 for a 3 day delivery.

I ordered it on Wed afternoon and got it Saturday morning. Once I got the phone I realized it was a bit loose and I emailed them again to ask about exchange procedures. They said they would exchange within 30 day of delivery not after. Without me responding back I got a new phone in my mail 2 to 3 days after their response. I was able to return the other phone at no charge to me.

I am impressed with this company because since I shop through Amazon so much - I have found other companies to be aloof when I emailed for any reason. This specific company Shopcellas is prompt, secure, efficient and take the time to personally respond to all questions. This I find very impressive. I wished they sold more things...

The phone is also great - so far so good. The battery last for a long time WOW! My only complaint is that is a bit heavy... this phone.. but other than that I love it.. love it. It takes pretty good photos too..

Oh yeah my other complaint is that I have lost minutes because sometimes I use the "back" button and if I press once too many times it goes into "browser".. there goes a minute each time. I must ad that I only use this phone for calling, texting and photo taking. For these uses I find this phone to be great. I just wished the "back" button would be for just that.... Browser button should be placed somewhere else... it can be tricky.

I just need to get a case for it.. to safely take it jogging with me.. Does anyone know where to get a case for it? Thanks!
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Bought this phone to give as a gift to my tween-age daughter who has had a Motorola flip phone with Tracfone service for the past 3 years. Because she had 1000+ minutes left on that phone, I wanted to make sure that the minutes could transfer to a new phone - whatever Tracfone serviced phone I choose that was compatible with my area. When I went to the Tracfone site and learned that I could port her old Tracfone number to a new phone AND transfer her minutes, I started shopping.

When comparing the two TRIPLE minute phones: this one and LG 800G Prepaid Phone With Triple Minutes (Tracfone) I liked the LG for the touchscreen and LG reliability (I have an LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile no-contract service), but my daughter preferred having a keyboard. The deciding factor for us was battery life. The Samsung T404G has about 30% longer battery life than the LG 800G.

Tracfone had the Samsung T404G Prepaid for fifty with a free accessory package, but they were unclear about what was in that free pack. I came to Amazon to compare prices and found the same phone without the free accessories, plus Red Hard Case Cover for Samsung Gravity 2 T469 T404G and Samsung Data Cable, was less than fifty shipped, so I bought them.

Activation of the phone meant calling Tracfone's 1800 number and waiting 15 minutes on hold after punching through two keypad menus. You have to call on a line other than your old phone, as you'll have to do a bit of keypad work in the phone's settings to transfer your minutes and deactivate the SIM card on your old phone prior to activating your new phone.

Once on with a Tracfone representative the process to port the old number to the new phone with the existing minutes and get the new phone activated took about 40 minutes - not including the time on hold with Tracfone. I made a test call from my home phone to the new phone and it went through as expected. My daughter began texting from her new Samsung T404G and immediately found the things she likes and dislikes about the phone.

Likes:
1. The look of it.
2. The display is bright and when horizontally oriented, the screen is easily viewable for texting.
3. The keyboard and the feel of the buttons.
4. The size: bigger than her previous phone in thickness, length and width - comfortable.
5. Slot for a microSD card up to 16GB - lots of music storage for MP3's
6. Bluetooth hooked up to wireless stereo headset: LG Tone (HBS-700) Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/Orange easily and sounded good.
7. Slide-out keyboard is easy to use with good directions in included booklet.
8. Came charged with 20 minutes received after activation.
9. Menus are easy to navigate
10.The alarm clock and calendar are great!
11.Minutes left on service are clearly displayed, with days left of service also displayed.
12.(2) days after activation you can make international calls to over 100 countries for the same price per minute as local calls! (Directions in included Service Guide.)
13.Texting is easy and Internet connections are swift to connect and work well.

Dislikes:
1. Camera is only 2MP and just 'fair' by comparison to most phones. Actually better than the flip Motorola though!
2. The characters (letters) on the top of the Qwerty keyboard are tough to get to and would be impossible for large fingers. She uses her fingernails and has small hands.
3. Until she got used to using the phone she inadvertently touched the 'browser' button - starting Internet service - several times; losing minutes in the process.
4. Occasionally receiving wrong numbers and having to lose minutes if they leave a voicemail message.

Overall, this is a very good phone. Easy to use, good quality hardware, nice features and great Tracfone service (often being able to send and receive calls where other companies fail). The real selling points for this Tracfone Samsung T404G phone though are TRIPLE minutes (each phone card face value is tripled) and international calls costing the same as local ones. If the camera was a 3MP and all the keyboard keys were easy to access - it would be 5 out of 5 stars.

This phone is a real bargain in a very competitive mobile phone market!

UPDATE: 11/19/13

My daughter continues to use this phone and didn't want to trade up to a touch screen as she loves the keyboard for texting on this phone so much. This phone will get service in areas that my Virgin Mobile iPhone will not, and with triple minutes - we are very happy!
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
Most people express frustration with the pre-installed web browser. I have read (but haven't tried myself yet) that the Opera Mini (do a search for that to find the site from a PC, then on their site locate the mobile sit address to do the download from your T404G phone) is a much better browser for this phone that can be downloaded for free (use the "public download" link if it says the phone is incompatible). I think that what I read about it said once you download the Opera Mini to your phone you access it through your Games menu. I'm going to try it soon but wanted to post it since so many people don't like the current browser.

Also, as an alternative to using the "Back" button to avoid accidentally turning on the browser, just use the "C" button to back out and exit out of anything you are in.
on November 25, 2011
I'm already a Tracfone subscriber and bought this phone for the triple minutes. I'm very satisfied with it, great sound quality and reception. No problems at all. Thanks.
on November 4, 2011
Got 2 T404g's. 1 for my Girlfriend and 1 for myself. Ordered through Amazon from Shopcelldeals and got them for 45 bucks a piece shipped. They set up easily, quickly and cleanly; no hassles... They work great; good coverage and reception, nice interface and great features for the price and for a prepaid tracfone. We love them.

Only 1 niggle. They are supposed to take 16gb MicroSDHC cards, so I got one such Sandisk card for each of them. After installing the cards, both before and after using the phone based function to format them, they both show the same odd results on the card properties display on both Phones.

That is the phones memory card properties on both phones shows around 15.5 gig capacity, but ~12.5 gig Used and ~3gig free before storing anything on the Cards.

Looking at the cards on my card reader on the PC, they show perfect. Correct folders set up and ~16 gig total, 49k or so used and around 15.9gig or so available.

Now that leads to the 1 con... The forum that Tracfone has as a lead-in to Support is absolutely the most ridiculous farce and comprises what I deem to be the ultimate disrespect to customers that I could ever imagine. By the time I could even use the bloody forum (because od the way the Admins run the forum) I had lost interest in even talking to them. I was really disgusted.

We do love the phones though! LOL! Oh, I originally gave the phones 5 stars but took 1 back for that ridiculous forum they have for Support!
on December 6, 2011
I bought this phone for my husband, he really wanted a phone with a full keyboard. He had one with a touch screen keypad but found it clumsy to type. This phone is great! He likes to text and this makes it so much easier. The only negative is that if the bars drop and the message can't be sent, it charges the units but doesn't hold the message until the bars come up again (his old phone would hang on to the message until there was a signal, so you were only charged once). Easy to use and nice picture quality too! I want one too!