5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!
Published on October 24, 2011 by kcuse

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it has touchscreen issues...
Published on November 17, 2011 by Justin

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Transform Ultra (Boost Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I just got this phone yesterday. It is my first smartphone and I'm in love. It does everything and more that my 4th gen Ipod does (except has Android). Its super fast on the web and switching between applications. The camera seems good. The flash is blinding at night! Haven't played with the video yet. I love how you can speak almost every command instead of typing. You can write a whole text message with your voice! The GPS is great too. And with Boost, everything is included in your plan so you don't have to worry about data charges. The best thing for me though is being able to stream Pandor in my car! It's a great phone! Buy it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android I've EVER Owned! (And LOVE the 'Shrinkage'!), November 6, 2011
I'm new to the prepaid world, but not new to smartphones. For years now I've been buying & selling Android & Apple phones on eBay to avoid renewing my contract with other carriers, all so I could have the latest and greatest gadget in my pocket. Preparing to pull that stunt once more, I decided instead this time to give Boost Mobile a try, and chose the new Samsung Transform Ultra. My expectations for a cheap phone on a prepaid carrier were low.

To my absolute surprise, the Transform Ultra has so far proven to be the BEST Android handset I've ever owned (and just to be clear, in my case that means it beats out the MyTouch 4G Slide, G2, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global and LG Revolution).

I think the biggest difference must be the Gingerbread operating system, as the one thing this phone does not do (and ALL of the others did) is crash constantly. But aside from that, the Transform Ultra is also surprisingly smooth & snappy, not laggy and frustrating like all the other Android's I've owned. I was expecting less for such a cheap little phone. The keyboard is also awesome, especially for those (like me) that really, really prefer buttons: good layout and nice button feel (though I must say the space bar button is a little weird as you have to press down either side of it, not the center of it).

There are some less than awesome aspects: Battery life, for instance, isn't great, but I've yet to own a smartphone that didn't require me to tote an extra battery around. The phone also feels just a little cheap overall, but then again: it was cheap. Finally, tapping and dragging (to rearrange icons on the home screen, for instance) doesn't work well on mine. I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Sprint's 3G service isn't exactly blazing fast.

So there's that. For me, an Android phone that doesn't crash & force close, has a great keyboard and comes on a carrier that will drop my monthly bill by $5 every 6-months is a no brainer. I feel like such a sucker for having paid almost $100/month to those other carriers for much worse hardware.

4.0 out of 5 stars best phone i've ever had, October 22, 2011
user friendly. fast. great camera. all the features work great. i only had a slight problem with the touch screen while the phone was plugged in and charging.
i am in love with this phone! have not put it down since i bought it.
my only complaint is the ring tones and alerts are not loud enough. and the vibration is not strong enough. if the phone's in my pocket I don't feel it or hear it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it has touchscreen issues..., November 17, 2011
As others have stated, the Transform Ultra does indeed have touchscreen issues. It may be luck of the draw, but I had the Prevail prior and there were no issues like this. I have tried sensitivity apps to try and correct the issue, but it did not help. As IMFM stated in another forum, he thinks it is a capacitive issue regarding the ability of the device to recognize when the finger is lifted, or more aptly, the device thinks you lifted your finger. I think this is correct.

Also, my phone's screen is lifted a bit on the left side of the device near the bottom and running up to the top. The screen is flush with the edging here, whereas on the right side of the device the screen is just below the edging equally the whole way. Tapping the left bottom of the device produced a sound other than the finger hitting the screen. Doing this on the right side does not produce this sound at all. This might be a reason for the touchscreen issues and makes me think a software fix may not be possible.

If you are dying to have a new Android phone on Boost you can use this phone, BUT it will cause you headaches. I am going to wait a week or so before I decide if I am going to return it as it is clearly a defective device at this point. Samsung needs to address this issue immediately and quit playing dumb. Keep the customers informed of what is going on as to a potential fix. I loved my Prevail and was really impressed with Samsung, it just lacked adequate system resources to run the amount of apps I wanted on my phone.

The sad part about the Transform Ultra is this is a really nice phone aside from the glaring issue. It is speedy and has the 1GB of internal memory so you will be able to load a lot more apps than the Prevail.

Cons:
- Major touchscreen sensitivity issue
- Case is very slippery in hands, needs a skin or some form of grip added for as a preventative measure

Sub-Par:
- Physical keyboard is par, maybe slightly sub par. It's awkward to type on it with the keys really needing pressed, plus space bar pressing is horrible

Pros:
- Large memory, 1GB internal
- Speed, 1GHz processor
- Responsiveness

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, December 9, 2011
I ordered this phone as an upgrade from my Boost Mobile Sanyo Incognito. I'm not a technical person, but from a user perspective, this is a great phone. My husband has another Android phone through Sprint and the Transform Ultra does everything that his does (plus the Boost Mobile phone has better pricing plan for unlimited service).

The call quality is clear and I love how it interfaces with Google products. I use gmail, so it's convenient to have that as the main email program on the phone. It also pulls my Google contacts, so I don't have to worry about losing my contacts if something happens to my phone. I have downloaded numerous applications and the Transform Ultra has been able to handle everything without slowing down.

The messenging interface is easy to use. The QWERTY keyboard is also great. It is a little flatter than what I was used to, but I adjusted to it within a few days.

The quality of the camera is satisfactory. It's not the greatest, but is sufficient if I forget to bring my camera somewhere. It does have a flash which is a plus compared to my old Sanyo Incognito. The forward facing camera is a great feature as we can easily Skype with family and friends around the country.

As far as the battery life goes, it seems to last about a day depending on what I've been doing on the phone. I'm not really impressed by that, but it seems consistent with my husband's Android battery, so it is what it is.

Overall, I absolutely love the phone. So much more customizable than the Sanyo Incognito and so many useful functions and applications. Don't know what I did without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, December 28, 2011
Very pleased with this phone so far.
Didn't want to enter into another contract at this time, so I thought I'd give Boost a try. $55 a month for unlimited everything. Shrinkage will eventually bring it down to $40 per month.
Boost / Sprint service is good. Web access is fast and easy. Call quality is good. Touch screen works really slick. There are better cameras on the market, but this one is certainly adequate for my needs. This is my first experience with a "smart phone", so I'm probably easily impressed, but it's just amazing what this phone can do and how easy it is to use it.
There have been some complaints that the battery runs down quickly. The battery does go down more quickly than I would like, but if you want to conserve battery charge, just turn off the 3G when you're not using it. You can also leave 3G on and turn off Background Data to conserve battery charge.
Totally worthwhile purchase. Can't see my ever going back to a contract carrier again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform Ultra, November 7, 2011
This Phone is awesome! I love it.
It is my first smart phone, So I am not experienced with them, so from a beginners point of view. It takes no time to get used to at all....
The problems with the screen being fidgety that I read about before purchasing, I do not really have.

This is the first time I have actually used a touch screen keypad that is effortless. I do not have problems with it (I have used other friends phones and messed up EVERYWHERE) I like it.
It has a slide out qwerty keyboard... for the night when you are too drunk to use the touch screen one, or if you just prefer to use it.
Internet is quick, Many apps to choose from from the market, Free games... Free battery saver app (I am not sure that it works though... my battery seems to die QUICKLY) I still suggest you buy a back up battery or... I dunno, maybe two or 3... I will be buying a bigger memory chip, it is great to start off with.
RINGTONES.... lets talk about that. You have to download a ringtone app (I got myxer.com for android being as I have been using Myxer for yrs for my ringtones) Then you manage your ringtones from there to give your contacts a unique ringtone. Have not figured out how to give my notification notices ringtones from the app... factory ones super cheesy.

Ok whatelse... Oh you can send someone straight to voicemail... (Through the contact info... when ever someone calls that person will go straight to voicemail.)

Great Camera on the backside, not so wonderful from the front. Flash on the back is BLINDING!
I suggest you take this phone to a kiosk to get connected, that way you keep your milestones.

GREAT PHONE With exception of the battery issue I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, December 6, 2011
I've had the Samsung Transform Ultra for a few days and I'm pretty pleased with the phone. I ordered it through the Boost Mobile website because it was 30% off. It has and does just about everything my boyfriend's expensive at&t android does and fairly quickly. I like the size, not too big and not too small. I've had no issues with glitches so far and I really love having a physical keyboard again. I'm also impressed with Boost Mobile's service and the ease of setting up my account and activating my phone. The phone and service are pretty good quality for the price. I just ended four years with verizon because I was tired of paying $70 a month for 450 minutes and texting. Really good if you want more for your money and want to save some money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suggest you wait a while before buying this phone, October 27, 2011
Length:: 0:16 Mins

Before you rush out and buy this like I did, understand that it has a fairly serious problem which may not ever be fixed.

For some reason, probably due to poorly coded software, the screen doesn't properly detect when you've taken your finger off the phone. This means that any application which requires dragging, such as browsers, will not work correctly. It makes playing games with touchscreen controls effectively impossible.

I've also had a lot of problems with Bluetooth syncing that I did not have on the prevail.

I'm also not too impressed with the slide out keyboard. If you have larger fingers, you are better off using the touch keyboard.

If you are on Boost and desperate for a mid-range smart phone, you can get the ZTE warp. If you are on Sprint, you have a lot of better options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy!, March 3, 2012
I originally wanted to buy the Samsung ZTE Warp, but they were sold out all over town, so I decided to buy the Samsung Transform Ultra instead and I love it. This is the best phone I have ever bought. I like the fact that it has a slide out QWERTY keyboard, because I have not mastered touchscreen typing yet. I also like the video camera capabilities, the front facing camera is also a plus because i don't take good cell phone pictures. Depending on how much you use it you may have to charge it at least once a day, I personally use my phone for other things (i.e Twitter, Amazon.com) more than I do for talking. As with anything there are pros and cons and in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. You can download all your favorite Apps, watch youtube, and enjoy all your social media. so it is a good deal. Also to clear this up, just because people use prepaid cell phone services doesn't mean they have bad credit. Boost mobile is still a plan.